As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    rRootagea wrote: »
    Braindances would solve the age old question of whether sexual intercourse is more pleasurable as a women or as a male.

Heh, IIRC, in Ghost in the Shell the answer is that it'll result in pain or extreme discomfort for a person of the opposite sex since a person's brain (in the context of the show anyway) is incapable of properly processing the feelings of having genitals of the opposite sex.

. . . I hate myself for even knowing that. :P

Really? I could have sworn
    the very first episode of Stand Alone Complex had a guy who got off on doing just that.

And I'm surprised to see people thinking that we're playing on the side of the Psycho Squad after watching the trailer. To be it seemed like they were trying to illustrate how the police engineer incidents to push their own agenda. In CP2020 there's mention of police coercing anyone getting significant implants into getting "registered". They're effectively on parole and have tracking chips in them (at the very least). I could see the trailer being an event at the start of the game, with the police trying to get public support for mandatory registration.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    He did. But those were nonliving gynoids, not actual cybernetic bodies. Also he'd get drunk first.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    And already hack "journalists" are jumping on the sexism bandwagon, ignoring the context and subtext within the trailer.
    Last year a Hitman game was released with a trailer that was widely derided for a poor (read: offensive) portrayal of the women's role in the games industry.

It was a fair call, too. The games industry is now the most important entertainment industry on the planet, and with that comes a responsibility to be part of the global culture. It's no longer good enough to make games for male pubescents. Just as the film industry has learned that exploitation and sexploitation is generally a bad thing, we all hoped that that Hitman trailer would kick start a maturing of the games industry.

And then CD Projekt Red went and released this trailer for its upcoming game:

Notice the half-naked women positioned in a submissive position as a gang of masculine-looking figures unload a hailstorm of bullets on her? It's hard to miss, that's the entire trailer. No context (other than a token 'this is cyberpunk and she's a robot, so this is totally OK, boys' in the accompanying press release), no characterisation. Nothing more than graituitous slow-motion grindhouse-style sexualised violence.

Here's a pastebin link, as I'd rather not direct hits towards such an obvious nerdbaiting article.
    http://pastebin.com/g3WaAq5j

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Dram wrote: »
    And already hack "journalists" are jumping on the sexism bandwagon, ignoring the context and subtext within the trailer.
    Last year a Hitman game was released with a trailer that was widely derided for a poor (read: offensive) portrayal of the women's role in the games industry.

It was a fair call, too. The games industry is now the most important entertainment industry on the planet, and with that comes a responsibility to be part of the global culture. It's no longer good enough to make games for male pubescents. Just as the film industry has learned that exploitation and sexploitation is generally a bad thing, we all hoped that that Hitman trailer would kick start a maturing of the games industry.

And then CD Projekt Red went and released this trailer for its upcoming game:

Notice the half-naked women positioned in a submissive position as a gang of masculine-looking figures unload a hailstorm of bullets on her? It's hard to miss, that's the entire trailer. No context (other than a token 'this is cyberpunk and she's a robot, so this is totally OK, boys' in the accompanying press release), no characterisation. Nothing more than graituitous slow-motion grindhouse-style sexualised violence.

Here's a pastebin link, as I'd rather not direct hits towards such an obvious nerdbaiting article.
    http://pastebin.com/g3WaAq5j

That cyborg comes off as a total unstoppable badass, but since she's not wearing 17 layers of clothing and standing tall with her head raised high it's obviously the devs being pigs to cater to their male fanbase.

/sarcasm

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Rick Deckard in Blade Runner is so far from a simple cop that it's not even funny. He starts off retired, spends most of the movie fucking up, then ends it on the run from the police, and oh also he's a replicant himself so really he has been killing his own kind and oh god it's so complex and it is the best movie ever. But yes, Blade Runner is really skirting the edges of cyberpunk - it's much more classic noir mixed with dystopian science fiction.

I know this is from a page ago, but I didn't know he was a replicant holy shit. Of course, I only saw the movie once a long, long time ago and I was really tired and drunk so I don't remember much of it, but still. Now I gotta rewatch it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    All I got to say about this is what "film industry" is author talking about?

The film industry that digitally "enhanced" Emma Watson's breasts on the Harry Potter movie poster (I think it was Order of the Phoenix, which would mean she probably wasn't even of legal age!).

The film industry that will almost always try to put a sexy woman on the cover no matter how minor her role was?

The film industry in which a "badass" female is rocking a super model body?

That film industry? Cause man, I got some bad news for the author.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Rick Deckard in Blade Runner is so far from a simple cop that it's not even funny. He starts off retired, spends most of the movie fucking up, then ends it on the run from the police, and oh also he's a replicant himself so really he has been killing his own kind and oh god it's so complex and it is the best movie ever. But yes, Blade Runner is really skirting the edges of cyberpunk - it's much more classic noir mixed with dystopian science fiction.

I know this is from a page ago, but I didn't know he was a replicant holy shit. Of course, I only saw the movie once a long, long time ago and I was really tired and drunk so I don't remember much of it, but still. Now I gotta rewatch it.

I think it may depend on what version of the movie you watch and your interpretation of the ending, but the most popular belief is that he was a replicant.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    He was definitely trolling for page views.

Which isn't to say that the trailer isn't sexist, but compared to other games/trailers (and yes the film industry) it's not as bad as it could've been.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Whether the game tells a cyberpunk story or not is fully dependent on the arc of the story. It is possible to start as a cop and become anti-establishment by the end. I don't know how an argument about whether or not this is cyberpunk went on for two pages when the criteria for calling it that is literally unknown to us at this time.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So "braindances" is a classier way of saying "swapping (cyber)brain cases?"
    It's a clever way of saying "we are making a Strange Days videogame without the license."
    Given your supposed familiarity with the genre I'm surprised you didn't realize that braindance was part of Cyberpunk 2013 which was published in 1988, Strange Days was released in 1995 and the tech was also featured in Gibson's Sprawl trilogy written in the early 80s. So no, it's not a clever way to say that at all.

TalonSE on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Where the hell are some people pulling these conclusions on what the game's gonna be about etc.?
    I mean, it's a teaser for fuck's sake, and it's not like you lot have anything to base these conclusions on. Maybe wait for the game to come out, or at least for CPR to release more info on its internal workings until you get all analysing and shit on it.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Where the hell are some people pulling these conclusions on what the game's gonna be about etc.?
    I mean, it's a teaser for fuck's sake, and it's not like you lot have anything to base these conclusions on. Maybe wait for the game to come out, or at least for CPR to release more info on its internal workings until you get all analysing and shit on it.

I think because I mentioned a personal thought that playing the Psycho Squad would be awesome.

Guys, they did show ONE piece of the lore through the teaser. That doesn't mean it's what the whole game focuses on (though really I want to play a souped up emotionless murder machine hunting down other souped up emotionless murder machines, preferably with fights like the Terminator).

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Eh, besides a pre-rendered trailer and some general pieces of info, there's not much else to discuss about it. Speculation is a legitimate diversion, just so long as everyone's aware that it's just that.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Whether the game tells a cyberpunk story or not is fully dependent on the arc of the story. It is possible to start as a cop and become anti-establishment by the end. I don't know how an argument about whether or not this is cyberpunk went on for two pages when the criteria for calling it that is literally unknown to us at this time.

I just saw this quote from the end of an article linked earlier in the thread:
    Cyberpunk 2077 will be an awesome game about a hero from the streets, from very dangerous streets. Raised from the gutter, he uses ultra-modern technology to stand against large corporations and others who exploit the underprivileged. The lonely rider takes his chopper, tech and the slaughter begins (laughter).

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The woman in that trailer didn't strike me as submissive at all. My first thought was "I hope I get to play as her". When i saw the typical gun wielding supercop white guy I went "oh right obviously" and lost interest

• Options
    Who said she was submissive?

Okay guys:

1) future fashion is always fucked up and over sexed, the only civilian we see that isn't a vague corpse on the ground IS her. For all we know men are going round in G-strings and skin tight t-shirts.

2) SHE JUST MURDERED 14 PEOPLE

3) after doing that she requires an entire SWAT team AND another heavily augmented dude to make her SURRENDER, not put her down, just make her fed up of fighting.

4) she's then offered a job for being so good at murdering innocent people.

None of that screams submissive outside of the clothing, I'll grant the clothing I guess but it kinda pales next to someone suggesting that a character whose only trait we know is 'mass murderer' is some how a submissive character.

Also @Tube how you can you NOT want to play Robo-cop
    _-Robocop-GameCube-_.jpg

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Given the genre, white male super cop seems unlikely for the protagonist.

• Options
    I hope you're right.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's probable that trailer is a piece that sketches out a piece of the games lore and gives a nod to an old piece of fan favorite art and that's as far as it goes right now. I'd be surprised if it doesn't find its way into the game in some form, but it may be completely tangential to the game itself.

Cyberpunk has its roots in the 80s, which was around the time that piece of art was created. A hallmark of the 80s was the exploitation of sex appeal, the rise of plastic surgery as a regular service and a growing awareness that the cops were maybe possibly just another street gang and not the selfless guardians of civil society that is presented to the public at large. Is it cheesecake too? Sure, but that doesn't mean that's the only thing it is. And the cheesecake element doesn't somehow make it illegitimate, especially in this kind of confrontational presentation.

So I think the trailer hit the mark where this game is concerned. Cyberpunk as a genre has quite a few overlapping themes and philosophies. A lot of these ideas are at odds with each other too, which is part of what gives the genre its energy, much like the punk culture of that 80s that was part of its inspiration.

Drake on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Look, all I care about is if I can go around using my augmented self to murder poor people

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Who said she was submissive?

Okay guys:

1) future fashion is always fucked up and over sexed, the only civilian we see that isn't a vague corpse on the ground IS her. For all we know men are going round in G-strings and skin tight t-shirts.

2) SHE JUST MURDERED 14 PEOPLE

3) after doing that she requires an entire SWAT team AND another heavily augmented dude to make her SURRENDER, not put her down, just make her fed up of fighting.

4) she's then offered a job for being so good at murdering innocent people.

None of that screams submissive outside of the clothing, I'll grant the clothing I guess but it kinda pales next to someone suggesting that a character whose only trait we know is 'mass murderer' is some how a submissive character.

Also @Tube how you can you NOT want to play Robo-cop
    _-Robocop-GameCube-_.jpg

And she did it all in her pants! What a trooper, lads.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    It's probable that trailer is a piece that sketches out a piece of the games lore and gives a nod to an old piece of fan favorite art and that's as far as it goes right now. I'd be surprised if it doesn't find its way into the game in some form, but it may be completely tangential to the game itself.

Yeah I've been thinking along those lines as well. The developer did state that you'd be part of the police squad, but that doesn't mean that you remain a part of the organization for the whole (or even most) of the story. There's too many examples of characters leaving organizations that they start out in for us to deduce anything about the game's overall story.

With regards to getting to play the female character: at the end of the trailer didn't she don the optics that the cops were wearing? Possibly implying that she joined them? As far as I know, we haven't been told the gender of the protagonist yet, or even if we get to create our own.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

Yeah I've been thinking along those lines as well. The developer did state that you'd be part of the police squad, but that doesn't mean that you remain a part of the organization for the whole (or even most) of the story. There's too many examples of characters leaving organizations that they start out in for us to deduce anything about the game's overall story.

With regards to getting to play the female character: at the end of the trailer didn't she don the optics that the cops were wearing? Possibly implying that she joined them? As far as I know, we haven't been told the gender of the protagonist yet, or even if we get to create our own.

She definitely joined them if you put together the lore and the trailer.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Indications are that you will generate a PC.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    This makes me so ridiculously happy.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    people reading so much into this trailer l0l

why are so many people assuming you are going to be playing as fucking robocop

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The trailer has me pretty amped for this game (hooray for excitement based on minimal information)!

Now I'm interested in trying out the Cyberpunk PnP. I've played a lot of Shadowrun, but never had a try at this game. Cyberpsychosis intrigues me, but is the newest version superior?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    Is this gonna be a third-person game like the Witcher or what?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    All right, let me make sure I digested this trailer properly.

It doesn't necessarily tell us who we're playing as, just establishes part of the setting.

There are a group of people who are so heavily augmented that they lose touch with their humanity and their ability to empathize with other people, and instead of harming themselves they go bugshit and start killing the wobbling bags of meat around them. They are Psychosomethings.

THen there is the Psycho Squad, an augmented police force made to take down the Psycho Somethings.

And the Psycho Squad is at least partially composed of those same psychos

This game involves a SWAT team of cyborg serial killers

Do I have the gist of that? Because that is super exciting on a conceptual level.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    The woman in that trailer didn't strike me as submissive at all. My first thought was "I hope I get to play as her". When i saw the typical gun wielding supercop white guy I went "oh right obviously" and lost interest

well, she's dressed all sexy for the men in the audience and about to be shot in the head. in the trailer at least, she's not the one in control of anything. ho-hum. par for course of the games industry. nothing to see here, yet again

• Options

Am I the only one who thought Chesty McTubetop was already a cop, and the teaser was revealing some sort of gambit or possibly malicious infiltration scheme to wipe out out a bunch of people, arrest her, and then get her in a position to do something like that all over again?

The fact that a SWAT team was happy to shoot both her and Robocop (seriously, what the hell guys, one of your own is right next to her and four of you are all shooting in that general direction) makes it all quite strange.

• Options
    I think the cop shooting was intended to have happened prior to the Psycho Squad dude showing up.

So the trailers order of events (implied at least) would be:

chick flips out and kills 14 people
    normal SWAT arrive and can't take her down but contain her
    Psycho dude comes in and she surrenders
    chick becomes part of Psycho Squad.

@Wyborn yes, yes that's exactly what it is.

I'm still not getting the sexism complaint. If we'd put a guy there in futuristic club wear or whatever that outfit is supposed to be and had Robo-cop dudebro be a chick would it make a difference?

Shockingly the woman who killed 14 people is being subdued by the Police.

• Options

Am I the only one who thought Chesty McTubetop was already a cop, and the teaser was revealing some sort of gambit or possibly malicious infiltration scheme to wipe out out a bunch of people, arrest her, and then get her in a position to do something like that all over again?

The fact that a SWAT team was happy to shoot both her and Robocop (seriously, what the hell guys, one of your own is right next to her and four of you are all shooting in that general direction) makes it all quite strange.

This would be really crazy and kind of awesome, and now I'm reading her expression throughout the whole thing (particularly with the gun to her head and her knowing smile at the end) very differently

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

This would be really crazy and kind of awesome, and now I'm reading her expression throughout the whole thing (particularly with the gun to her head and her knowing smile at the end) very differently

There were two reasons for my theory:

Namely, the game is called Cyberpunk, which inherently speaks of the fashionable hackers and their fight against The Man and His nefarious schemes. For all we know, Warrant Officer Chesty is one of the top targets you'll be gunning for.

Second, it was an easy way to justify why a half-naked woman is somehow easily capable to deflect large quantities of gunfire, be part of what seems like an awfully staged "arrest", and just appear in the next scene in uniform even before they fixed the signs of the gunfire she deflected.

It's just a theory of course.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    They are recruiting people for the game's dev team: cdpred.com/cyberpunk-2077-first-teaser-trailer-night-city-needs-you/

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    I thought the way she looks/is dressed was to create cognitive dissonance

Like hey here's a good lookin' girl dressed kinda chilly for the night, looking mostly surprised. Wait she's being shot at? Wait the bullet shatters? Wait there's a whole squad of heavily armed policemen firing on her?

Wait she's covered in blood, her arms are motherfucking knives of terror and she's surrounded by dead bodies?

It's a bit like using little girls in horror movies I guess. It creates an enormous contrast which enhances the "holy shit" response, and drives home the theme of humanity/cyborgization.

Usually I'm the first to roll my eyes at sexism in media but I feel this might be a subversion of that?

• Options
    The character is wearing standard clubwear and isn't particularly busty.

• Options
    I think my favorite shot in the trailer is right at the end, how Robocop scowls at her before she puts on her helmet

"Why the fuck are you so smug" he's almost saying

And considering you can only see his mouth, that's saying something

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    I'd buy an oculus rift shaped like those goggles.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    You don't play as male or female, you are a computer virus. You spend your time installing trojans and hijacking web browsers.