As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Finally a new [Android] Thread

I decided to start a new one to better break up the information on new Android developments.

The information below is provided by Alegis, who is a classy gent for writing this up.
Alegis wrote: »
Welcome to the Android thread!

Here to help you put [stuff] on your phone/not-a-phone-with-a-big-screen.
Don't have one of the Android phones yet? You will ... soon

I for one welcome our Android overlords

>tips

The deal with task killer apps and why to avoid them:
Applications 'running' in the background are not necessarily running but in a sleeping state (for example: apps like gmail that check every x minutes for new mails). Killing these sleeping apps can decrease performance: the app needs to be restarted which brings it back into an active state - or it's not started anew at all and you lose functionality like mail notifications

There is a possibility some badly written app some does unnecessary polling of hardware in the background. You can try to spot these using 'monitor' apps like Watchdog

so in short: Task Killers: not a good idea in general

the longer story:

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way
The effect of task killers on android
Rooting: 'what's the deal'? Do I have to root? what do I get/lose?
'Do I need to root my phone to use my phone?'
No.

Android is a very open mobile OS, you can change all aspects ranging from homescreens to keyboards just fine without any kind of root unlock. Root is required if you wish to unlock certain permissions (e.g. adjusting the CPU speed) and/or install custom ROMs.

A custom ROM is a community-made modification of the Android OS, customizing it more in some way. Additional functionality (like joining ad-hoc wifi networks) or more sleek set-up (speed, control over battery life) can be gained. You're no longer reliant on your manufacturer or carrier to push android updates to your phone. You could for example run a modified gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) on your ZTE Blade phone instead of Android 2.1 eclair.
Root also opens the door for automatic battery modifications by automatically underclocking your CPU when your phone is idle or screen turned off. Some ROMs have kernels that support advanced 'governor' settings so you don't have to tweak with profile settings either.

'How do I get started?'

You will need to gain root access on your device and use a ROM specifically suited for your phone model.
Check the XDA dev forums, scroll down to the forums of your device and check out the Sticky threads. Be sure to follow them with care, backing up where they ask you to back-up your original stuff and using the right instructions for your device versions.

a few basic terms:

ROM: this is the OS you'll be flashing to your device. Examples include official ROMs, Cyanogenmod etc.
Recovery Mode: when you boot your phone to recovery mode (usually volume down + boot) you hit recovery mode. Rooting your phone installs a custom recovery mode (usually either clockworkmod or amonra) from which you can flash .zip files to your phone, such as the ROM you want to install
Nandroid: in Recovery mode you can make a complete system image back-up of your phone to which you can restore to. It is recommended to _always_ do this before wiping your phone and flashing a rom. This way you can return your phone to the complete image state it was before.
Radio: The firmware of the cellular radio can also be flashed, check the ROM page for which radio version is recommended.

when flashing a ROM of a different version (custom ROM or android version) you should wipe your device in recovery mode first. As such, you'll need to make a back-up of your messages, call logs, contacts etc first. Titanium Backup pro works (but requires root first, so root first, then back-up, then flash the ROM).

Rooting has its risks! Be prepared to have to tinker with your device in case shit goes wrong.
Also, before you do anything to your phone in recovery mode (you'll probably have to go there as part of the rooting process if you decide to, as well as if you are flashing any custom ROMs) make sure your battery is charged! If you're plugged in it won't charge while in recovery; this is probably the quickest way to brick your phone.

While flashing your device it's recommended not to charge the device - it may fool battery calibration a little bit (although that can be re-calibrated later).

Note that while rooted you may not be able to receive official OTA updates, or if you can - they will make you lose root. If you install a community ROM they will most likely incorporate the official update in a newer version.

Recommended root apps:

SetCPU, Titanium Backup, ROM Manager, ADFree Android, ShootMe (Screenshots)
Some example pimped homescreens from the thread:
Going to place some custom home screens posted in the thread here, as they're sleek and sexy and may serve as inspiration if you feel like customizing and tinkering a bit with your phone.
Post your own in the thread and let us know what you used to achieve the effect!

Silas started this whole thing

Z5ut4.jpg

s3rial one posts his work in progress

QkPNn.jpgX5GBe.jpgrY36B.jpg

Allforce has a groovy abstract theme going on

clCWF.jpg

phekno likes his phones bloody and sweet

NuaYn.jpg

Silas posting instructions for a special kind of fancy homescreen:
Silas wrote: »
09bRB.jpg

An update and some helpful threads for anyone wanting to do something similar.

newone757's thread - The first, I think

h_zee13's thread - Widgets and stuff

Wheezy_be's thread - more icons and widgets in 7 colors

bullio posted a guide to get your notification bar black (fancier on some themes and black uses less resources to display on LCD)

example image:
522600559_photobucket_31064_.jpg

>install some apps!

You can check out some apps on the web and queue them for install on either the official market.android.com.
See the bottom of this post for the appbrain profiles of other PA forumers (see what they have installed).

Check out apps made by 'Google Inc.' for official Google apps like Google Goggles and Google Translate
some other recommendations:

$APPS FOR FREE!
  • On Getjar paid apps are added to their 'Getjar Gold' list for free every week. Downside is you lose out on auto-update.
  • Amazon Appstore has a free daily app. US Only

Custom Homescreen & widgets:
  • Home screen replacements: Both Go Launcher and ADW Launcher are very solid customizable launchers.
    Snowstorm - Popular weather widget replacement
  • Multicon - Widget to place 4 smaller icons on the widget space of just 1 icon. If you really want to stuff your home screen.
  • Digital Clock Widget - Another popular homescreen clock widget most peeps here use.
  • Star Trek Combadge - Choose an action to launch when you click the fancy combadge. Engage!
  • Beautiful Widgets - Includes some widgets like clock/switch controls with skinning support. Available for free on Getjar

Communication
  • Texting replacement: Go SMS Pro or Handcent SMS - Both replace SMS and add extra customization options for lay-out and feautures like pop-up windows.
  • Skype - For Android 2.1 and up. Call skype friends over wifi.
  • AndChat - IRC client for Android
  • Google Voice - US only - Google Voice number on your phone, offering a different interface for your texting and calling needs. See the intro vid on the site for info.
  • Alternative keyboards: Android supports keyboard replacements. Recommendations: Swype (not yet available on Market, but here is a beta), Swiftkey X (Free on getjar.com)
  • K-9 Mail - popular e-mail client, in case you don't use gmail or don't like the stock gmail client.
  • Kakao talk - Text iphone/android friends with this app over the internet rather than regular text. See also: WhatsApp which is free for the first year of use.
  • SMS Backup+ - (Automatically) back-up or restore your SMS to your GMail.

Multimedia
  • Soundhound or Shazam - Have your phone listen to any song playing and identify it for you.
  • Mp3 players - Doubletwist or Mixzing
  • Pandora - Similar to last.fm radio. Search for an artist, stream radio of similar sounds
  • Ringdroid - Easily turn any part of any mp3 into a ringtone.
  • Internet browser replacements: Dolphin HD, Firefox, Opera Mini

System tools:
  • Call Confirm - An extra prompt window to confirm you want to call someone.
  • Estrong File Explorer - File explorer, browse internal/sd memory - install apps. Alternatively: Astro File Manager
  • PDAnet - Free tethering: sharing the phone's internet connection with other devices. (Built-in in Android 2.2)
  • Audiomanager - Home widget for easily managing all the different sound levels (alarm, ringtone,media) as well as vibration in one place.
  • No Lock: enable/disable (widget) the 'slide' lock whenever the phone wakes up from standby.
  • MyPhoneExplorer - This is a PC application to back-up/restore/manage your Android phone contacts/messages/etc.
  • Spare Parts - Unlock easy access to some system options that can't be found in the default menus like wifi sleep policy and animation/font settings.
  • Quick Settings - Quick access to some of the most-used settings like sound/wifi control. One screen accessible from search button.
  • aLogCat - View logcat messages on your phone. Basically shows all the warnings/errors going on in your phone, convenient if you get force close windows to track down the issue.
  • Tasker - ($) Automatize some actions like turning on wifi when you open some apps, read out SMS messages if you're in the car etc.
  • App 2 SD (move apps to SD) - App will notify you which apps you have that can be moved to the SD (2.2 Froyo only). It will notify you when you install new apps that can be moved.
  • Titanium Backup (requires root) - Make a back-up of anything, avoid the red apps. For non-root users, you can find back-up apps for other data (call logs, contacts, messages in particular - stuff you want to keep when you do a full wipe of your phone when switching ROMs) on the market or included in other apps like your messaging app.
  • SetCPU (requires root) - Donate version also available on the android market. Underclock your phone to save battery when you don't need the extra processing power. Depending on your ROM kernel it may support some automatic profiles (governors) so you don't even have to define some (like 'underclock while screen off' etc).

Text & References
  • Wapedia - Wikipedia in mobile form. Alternatively: Quickpedia or mobile.wikipedia.org
  • 3banana - Take notes and sync with your snaptic account
  • RSS readers: Newsrob is a Google Reader client with offline sync. Google Reader has an official app with nicer interface but lacks the offline cache. Pulse has a fancy image interface but only for select feeds (like engadget). GReader is another google reader app (with offline sync).
  • Epicurious - Cooking guide, search for recipes from Epicurious.
  • Many newspapers like NYTimes have their own android widgets.
  • Evernote - take mental notes. If you want a more simple note app: Colornote

Useful:
  • Barcode Scanner - Essential - use the phone's camera to scan barcodes/QR codes.
  • Easy Spirit Level - Your phone is now a spirit level, congratulations
  • Cardiotrainer - Useful for fitness exercises. Turn on your GPS when you take a run around the block and it will save your trajectory which you can view on your stats page. Plenty of alternative apps out there.
  • Astrid - Personal task manager (to-do lists)
  • Gmote - Stream music from your desktop to your android or use your phone as an input device via Wifi (useful for presentations).
  • Chrome to Phone (Android 2.2 only). Install chrome to phone from the market, install the chrome extension (Firefox exention is called FoxToPhone) - send URLs, maps etc directly to phone through the android internets cloud.
  • Handycalc - Scientific calculator including unit conversion, graphs etc.
  • Alarm Clock Plus - Extensive alarm clock replacement with options like setting dates, crescendo volume, snooze & math question settings etc.
  • Dropbox - Access your Dropbox folder easily from your phone, share taken photos etc easily by sending them straight to your dropbox.

Useless but nerdy cool stuff:
  • Google Sky Maps - Point at the sky, see star names. Sure to impress your ladyfriends.
  • Solaris - Is there an electromagnetic storm in your area? What's the auroral activity like in the north? See it on a 3D earth.
  • Tricorder - Congratulations, your android phone is now a tricorder. Measure the magnetic field around you among other things.

Games

If you want to find and explore more apps or discover which apps PAers use it's recommended you take a look at:

> appbrain profiles
Find out which apps PA forumers have installed: (post yours in the thread to have it added!)

> other questions

I want the cheapest accessories for my phone!
-Do a search on dealextreme
But what if I want something more expensive?
-Check ebay / your carrier shop / xda forums of your phone with recommended accessories

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    I thought I was done with Android since my experience with an LG G2X is pretty terrible.
    Now though the Nexus 4 has me thinking twice, plus that price is just too good.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    still waiting on my 4.1 update on the Optimus G

• BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I finally joined the smartphone crowd, got a Droid Razr M. Anyone recommend any cases for it? I'm having a hard time finding many accessories for it, probably because there's so many Razr variations.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I finally joined the smartphone crowd, got a Droid Razr M. Anyone recommend any cases for it? I'm having a hard time finding many accessories for it, probably because there's so many Razr variations.

I'm a fan of Otterbox cases, personally. My gf has one for her Atrix and I've got one on my S3. It adds some bulk, but I actually prefer it that way.

Plus, I can slip it out of my pocket and spin it around to reorient thanks to the lip it adds around the edge, which has become a (potentially disastrous) habit...

工事中
    Oo... the new Sony Xperia Z phone announced at CES sounds pretty slick.

And apparently running pure Android? Nice...

工事中
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Oo... the new Sony Xperia Z phone announced at CES sounds pretty slick.

And apparently running pure Android? Nice...

The LG G2X was supposed to be running "pure Android". I'll believe it when I see it.

<<Disgruntled G2X owner

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

I'm a fan of Otterbox cases, personally. My gf has one for her Atrix and I've got one on my S3. It adds some bulk, but I actually prefer it that way.

Plus, I can slip it out of my pocket and spin it around to reorient thanks to the lip it adds around the edge, which has become a (potentially disastrous) habit...

Looks solid, thanks!

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Man, someone should really link the new thread earlier than 3 days after its made...here I was fearing people just stopped having stuff to talk about re: android.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Woo. My N7 will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a screen protector and case locally.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Speaking of N7 cases, I can't find any locally. All the ones at walmart and staples look like crap, and that's pretty much it as far as people who carry nexus 7 cases go?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Pfft, I've never seen a case for the N7 in a retail store at all.

Gaslight wrote: »
    Pfft, I've never seen a case for the N7 in a retail store at all.

Yeah, that's a common criticism of the device. Google has no accessories (they have 1 cheapy case with 3 colors, 2 of which are permanently out of stock) and the 3rd parties haven't stepped up.

The 2 cases locally were.... not that good. No screen protector locally, but there was a "universal" one. Might go that route to tide me over until I can get a better one shipped.

The one I'm considering is this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Ultra-Slim-Multi-Angle-Premium-Protector/dp/B008D2POAS/

Comes with a screen protector, which is nice. I'm not enthused about needing to pop two of the "claws" off to use the prop-it-up feature, but then again, I don't see me using that feature much either.

I might go for green, though:
    http://www.amazon.com/Blurex-Ultra-Slim-Multi-Angle-Premium-Protector/dp/B009EBBVV8/

Since, y'know, Android and all that.

I've got this case for my Nexus 7, and it does the job. *shrug*

工事中
    THat looks like a nice sensible case. I just wish I could find something a bit more fun for my wife...nothing really looks viable on etsy.

• LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    Would this be the thread to ask about which phone to get?

Im upgrading from a Droid 2 because the screen is dying and my contract is up. I was looking at the LG Spectrum 2 in large part because it's $100 after contract, a $50 instant rebate if I order it online and I have received a $50 gift card. So that one is essentially free (plus the silly upgrade fee). When I went to the store to test dive a phone or two, the salesman was pushing the Droid Razr M, which sounds good, but did not offer that $50 instant rebate. He basically shit all over the Spectrum, saying that for that price range I should get the Razr or even the Windows phone, and that he only has one because he uses it for a mobile hotspot. The one bit of information he gave me that concerned me was that he has not seen any Razrs come back for hardware issues, but has seen many of the others. Sounds kind of vague, but since thats what is basically happening to my phone now, it does make me consider the Razr.

So I guess what Im asking is, is the Razr actually that much better of a phone? The Spectrum's reviews sounded pretty good. They did stress that it was a midrange phone, but so is the Razr and anything else in my price range really. Was this guy just trying to up-sell me or will I actually be better off with the Razr?

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Maybe a silly question, but if I root my Incredible S, can I still use Google Play?

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    My boss has a GS3 with Verizon, and I've been trying to update it, but I keep getting "Service Unavailable." Googling points to either a factory reset or a new SIM as a solution, but I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in another direction.

• baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    Yes you can. Rooting doesn't limit the capabilities of your device in any way, barring some silly apps that check to see if you are and disable themselves. Play is not one of those, and in fact there are several apps in Play that require root in order to work.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Lardalish wrote: »

Im upgrading from a Droid 2 because the screen is dying and my contract is up. I was looking at the LG Spectrum 2 in large part because it's $100 after contract, a $50 instant rebate if I order it online and I have received a $50 gift card. So that one is essentially free (plus the silly upgrade fee). When I went to the store to test dive a phone or two, the salesman was pushing the Droid Razr M, which sounds good, but did not offer that $50 instant rebate. He basically shit all over the Spectrum, saying that for that price range I should get the Razr or even the Windows phone, and that he only has one because he uses it for a mobile hotspot. The one bit of information he gave me that concerned me was that he has not seen any Razrs come back for hardware issues, but has seen many of the others. Sounds kind of vague, but since thats what is basically happening to my phone now, it does make me consider the Razr.

So I guess what Im asking is, is the Razr actually that much better of a phone? The Spectrum's reviews sounded pretty good. They did stress that it was a midrange phone, but so is the Razr and anything else in my price range really. Was this guy just trying to up-sell me or will I actually be better off with the Razr?

I just got a Droid Razr (the original, not to be confused with the M, HD, MAXX, HD MAXX, M HD, or any and all other iterations of the Razr brand that Motorola is annoying us with) for work a few weeks ago. It's nice, fast, just got 4.1.2 pushed out to it, and I've been impressed with it. I do have a few complaints, mainly that it's too thin and the battery doesn't last long enough. They could have simply made the device a uniform thickness instead of the annoying camera "bump" and given us a much larger battery, but instead I need to plug in my phone halfway through the day if I want it to last until evening.

Reading reviews of the LG Spectrum 2, it's supposed to be a solid mid-range device. Whatever mid-range is considered these days in Android, I'm not entirely sure, but it's got a S4 dual core and a gig of RAM, which seems great to me. I don't even know what's in the Razr. If it's getting updates still for Android (Does it have 4.1 yet?) I would say go for the Spectrum.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Thanatos wrote: »
    My boss has a GS3 with Verizon, and I've been trying to update it, but I keep getting "Service Unavailable." Googling points to either a factory reset or a new SIM as a solution, but I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in another direction.

Are you doing it via WiFi or 3G/LTE?

工事中
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Are you doing it via WiFi or 3G/LTE?
    Ended up getting a new SIM and it worked. Thanks, though.

• LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I just got a Droid Razr (the original, not to be confused with the M, HD, MAXX, HD MAXX, M HD, or any and all other iterations of the Razr brand that Motorola is annoying us with) for work a few weeks ago. It's nice, fast, just got 4.1.2 pushed out to it, and I've been impressed with it. I do have a few complaints, mainly that it's too thin and the battery doesn't last long enough. They could have simply made the device a uniform thickness instead of the annoying camera "bump" and given us a much larger battery, but instead I need to plug in my phone halfway through the day if I want it to last until evening.

Reading reviews of the LG Spectrum 2, it's supposed to be a solid mid-range device. Whatever mid-range is considered these days in Android, I'm not entirely sure, but it's got a S4 dual core and a gig of RAM, which seems great to me. I don't even know what's in the Razr. If it's getting updates still for Android (Does it have 4.1 yet?) I would say go for the Spectrum.

It appears that the Spectrum 2 has not been approved for Jellybean yet. How much difference do those updates make? They're a lot more common than Windows or Mac OS versions. If this phone doesnt get Jellybean how much of an impact will that have on me? I mean, I basically use my phone as a phone and then some internet here or there, not a whole lot of games or anything.

Got my N7!

It's quite a nice little gadget, but I really wish that they had put on a screen protector at the factory. I spent $20 at the local office supply store on a set of 2, and no luck. The ol' slightly soapy water trick wouldn't work, and after trying a few... dozen... tries they got dents and whatnot in them. Will try again I suppose.

I have a travel pouch for now, so at least there's that.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    Anyone here have a Nexus 10? It sounded exactly like what I want, except that apparently the quality control is pure trash. According to the internet, it's next to impossible to get one that doesn't have uneven screen lighting (light bleed) and/or dead pixels.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

It appears that the Spectrum 2 has not been approved for Jellybean yet. How much difference do those updates make? They're a lot more common than Windows or Mac OS versions. If this phone doesnt get Jellybean how much of an impact will that have on me? I mean, I basically use my phone as a phone and then some internet here or there, not a whole lot of games or anything.

It's really not a huge deal, having 4.0 is nice and they really aren't as big of an update to 4.1/4.2 as far as I can tell as they used to be back in 2.1-2.4. If you mostly use it as a phone you likely will never care or notice a difference. I just like when I can get updates for my things and I figured I would mention it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2013
    Hm. Is there no easy way to turn off data on the N7? For WiFi there's the button in the upper right pulldown, not seeing data in the same area. Even the power widget doesn't have it.

KiTA on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    You mean from the pull down menu new to 4.2? That's...huh. Never crossed my mind (my N7 is WiFi only). Think you're gonna need another app to do it. I use Power Toggles on my Galaxy Nexus to add a few buttons like that to the notification pulldown (since I don't have 4.2 on my G. Nexus yet).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    KiTA wrote: »
    Hm. Is there no easy way to turn off data on the N7? For WiFi there's the button in the upper right pulldown, not seeing data in the same area. Even the power widget doesn't have it.

I think one of the widget bars has it on there.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If it's the same as on the Galaxy Nexus you can pull down, press the top-right option, then the middle one is the signal strength for mobile data. Pressing that takes you to the "data usage" part of the settings where you can switch it off.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I, too, come to ask for cellular advice.
    Currently on Verizon with a family plan with unlimited 3G, which is out the window when our contract is up at the end of the month. We could get Galaxy S3's and re-up, but that would increase our monthly bill a good $50+ and limit our data.

I'm considering the T-Mobile monthly 4G plans, specifically the $30/mo. with 100 minutes and unlimited text and data (up to 5GB per phone). I want to purchase Nexus 4's for this, so it would be a decent up-front cost but we would make back the cost of the phones in just over half a year of service.

The way I see it, renew with Verizon and our bill goes up to about $180, with shared data, or get three phones each with this T-mobile plan and it's only $90 total per month, with 100 minutes and 5GB each per month.

Does anyone have good or bad to say about T-mobile (or this monthly service specifically)?
    We're in the greater (North of) Seattle area so I think service should be fine. The biggest hurdle I can see with this plan so far is actually finding Nexus 4's to purchase (3 total). If anyone has any brilliant tips on that it would also be appreciated.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited January 2013
    Ok, so say I want to move a PDF to my Android Tablet to read via Adobe Reader (or whatever is a better reader app). When I plug the N7 into my PC, I get a HDD out of the blue. I put the file in "Download," the only place that looks sane, but it doesn't appear in the downloads program.

Somoene suggested a file browser app, but... is there just a saner place to put the PDF files?

Also, is there anything particularly special about the Nexus 7 cable? Is it a USB OTG cable or just a standard USB Micro B? I don't particularly want to spend $30 from Google for a second cable for charging my tablet at work.

KiTA on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    So I managed to drop my 7 and a small yet fatal crack was the result. The touchscreen seems largely borked (equivalent of many keys on a keyboard always pressed down), or at least it is now incredibly hard to use.

So, anyone got any advice? I am going to investigate screen replacement but I fear that will not be a great option.

Voice control may make it useable to some extent I guess.

I may look to buy a new one too, but would probably want a new model if one is due out

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Kalkino wrote: »
    So I managed to drop my 7 and a small yet fatal crack was the result. The touchscreen seems largely borked (equivalent of many keys on a keyboard always pressed down), or at least it is now incredibly hard to use.

So, anyone got any advice? I am going to investigate screen replacement but I fear that will not be a great option.

Voice control may make it useable to some extent I guess.

I may look to buy a new one too, but would probably want a new model if one is due out

Yeah, I heard that for some reason Google didn't go with Gorilla Glass, so ... yeah.

I'm not sure if the warranty covers that. Couldn't hurt to call and ask.

I'm honestly a bit worried that news of this new Motorola "Nexus X" phone and Tablet setup that are rumored are the reason we're not seeing much accessory support for the N7.
    http://androidandme.com/2012/12/news/google-and-motorola-working-on-x-phone-and-x-tablet/

• RBachRBach Registered User regular
    The warranty does not cover accidental damage. Don't know how much it'd cost to get it fixed, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience/opinion on the Galaxy Exhilarate? I'm finally going to be ditching my dumb-phone next month when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'm looking for something that isn't too big, and on paper the Exhilarate seems to have a pretty good feature set. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Finally got around to ordering my Samsung Galaxy SIII. 24 month contract which is scary because I never used a contract in the past.

KiTA wrote: »
    Ok, so say I want to move a PDF to my Android Tablet to read via Adobe Reader (or whatever is a better reader app). When I plug the N7 into my PC, I get a HDD out of the blue. I put the file in "Download," the only place that looks sane, but it doesn't appear in the downloads program.

Somoene suggested a file browser app, but... is there just a saner place to put the PDF files?

Also, is there anything particularly special about the Nexus 7 cable? Is it a USB OTG cable or just a standard USB Micro B? I don't particularly want to spend $30 from Google for a second cable for charging my tablet at work.

Don't use the Downloads program. You're going to be better off using a file browser app like ES File Explorer.

You should be able to go through Adobe Reader and open it from there, or maybe see if it can scan and show all PDFs? I use ezPDF Reader on mine, so I'm not sure how Adobe's app handles it.

The cable itself should be standard micro USB. Nothing different to my knowledge, although charging via USB will take forever. You might be better off picking up a 2nd charger that supports similar power output (I believe it's 5V/2A? My charger appears to have disappeared at the moment...)

工事中
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience/opinion on the Galaxy Exhilarate? I'm finally going to be ditching my dumb-phone next month when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'm looking for something that isn't too big, and on paper the Exhilarate seems to have a pretty good feature set. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it.

It lasted all of 45 days in retail stores before being replaced by the Galaxy Express. Had one as a company-use device and honestly, it isn't worth a shit. It's an early-2012 specced Android phone that gets outclassed by practically everything else AT&T has available. $0.99 gets you the grey HTC One X online (deal of the fucking century, and despite the screen size, it's actually a very slender, lightweight phone), $50 gets you the One VX, the Pantech Discover, or the Xperia TL. Basically, practically every other Android phone AT&T offers is better in some way.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Seems like the cost of repair/screen isn't too much less than the cost of a new unit, if you can find someone to do it or a replacement screen

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Question for Galaxy S3 owners: Anyone else find that the gpsd process is mysteriously draining your battery fast? As in, putting my phone into airplane mode at 100% before bed left me with 15% about 6.5 hours later between LINE and gpsd each taking up 50% of my battery power. And this only happened last night, so it's something recent that may have happened even though I didn't install any new apps.

I don't know what could have been causing it, but I tried to restart my phone earlier today, uninstalled LINE (why did it burn through so much battery when in airplane mode o_O), and am finishing up recharging it now. Some initial Googling seemed to suggest that it's related to Samsung's Find My Phone service but that's disabled in my phone, as is Google Maps location reporting and Google Now.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it this afternoon, but has anyone else had this problem?

工事中
This discussion has been closed.