As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why worry? Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his [chat]

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Not to mention the fact that medicine didn't come up with the scientific method. Philosophers were refining what we came to know as the scientific method, again, for thousands of years, while physicians were still relying on a combination of mysticism, pure speculation, and outright huckstering.

Dammit, don't give legitimacy to the philosophers.

More people might decide to get philosophy degrees.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    my pharm friend tells me that he's had multiple scripts by doctors that would actually kill people outright

wat. Multiple?

Doesn't killing people by sloppy prescriptions usually result in consequences?

I would imagine it would; he hasn't ever filled any of those though and he's gotten into yelling matches over the phone with particularly bad doctors

pro tip: make a friend with someone who's a pharmacist. Not to pick up drugs or anything, but they'd probably have a good grasp on which doctors in your area are total idiots or assholes.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Bill Murray tried to destroy Lucy Liu's film career out of pure spite.

Where is the image macro for how much of an asshole he is?

Are you thinking of McG?

:bz

Go ahead and google "bill murray lucy liu"

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vugdn.jpeg

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my pharm friend tells me that he's had multiple scripts by doctors that would actually kill people outright

As a person working with doctors,

pharm people are the worst don't trust them. They're only like two steps above patients, who are the for-real worst.

(This is probably why I am not going to try to join a profession where I have to deal with people. I am not so good at it.)

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

wat. Multiple?

Pharmacists are trained to spot hazardous drug interactions and stop them before it ever becomes an actual threat.

There's also a big database which does it for you.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

whoops I quoted the wrong post

tell us the story uncle jeep

The Real Reason Bill Murray Didn’t Do Charlie’s Angels 2
    — Posted by John Campea

I still feel stupid about it, but the first Charlie’s Angels movie actually caught me by surprise. I enjoyed it, I thought it was fun, lighthearted and Crispin Glover rocked in it. Now, everyone knows that the sequel completely sucked, so it’s for the best that Bill Murray wasn’t there to reprise his role as Bosley. I’ve heard several explanations gives for why he wasn’t there… but while surfing around the web this evening I came across this:

Bill Murray and Lucy Liu didn’t get along on the set of the first Charlie’s Angels. Bill was always uncomfortable around her and nobody knew why until one day a huge fight erupted between the two while they were filming a scene. People Magazine reported the Bill ‘loudly complained about her technique.’ People was being gentle.

What actually transpired was much more intense. Bill Murray stopped a scene in progress and pointed to Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, and Lucy Liu saying in order, “I get why you’re here, and you’ve got talent….but what in the hell are you doing here. You can’t act!” At that, Liu blew her lid and attacked Murray, wildly throwing punches. The actors had to be separated to opposite corners of the room while they lobbed verbal hand grenades at each other.

With a Columbia Pictures gun to their heads, both actors would publicly downplay in incident but insiders know better. Bill Murray would not do any sequel with Liu attached and was subsequently replaced by Bernie Mac.

Ludious on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

A doctor once got really mad when I refused to wash out someone's infected wound with hydrogen peroxide

I guess that was a thing in the 70s?

Do we not pour hydrogen peroxide on wounds anymore?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bill Murray tried to destroy Lucy Liu's career, really? Boy I can't wait to hear this one!

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    God dammit I quoted the wrong post. Is there even an edit post button.

A week without more that 3 hours sleep every night has left me a shattered wreck of a man. Any tips or do I embrace insanity?

Get some sleep, yo.
    Every time I've drifted off to sleep some crap has woken me up. Over and over. I have at least 2 more hours of work to do before I get to go home. (Where I have even more work to do).

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    @shivahn @arch @other people who are interested in gender

"Sworn Virgin" is the term given to a biological female in the Balkans who is chosen, usually at an early age, to take on the social identity of a man for life. As a tradition dating back hundreds of years, this was necessary in societies that lived within tribal clans, followed the Kanun, an archaic code of law, and maintained an oppressive rule over the female gender.The Kanun states that women are considered to be the property of their husbands. The freedom to vote, drive, conduct business, earn money, drink, smoke, swear, own a gun or wear pants was traditionally the exclusive province of men. Young girls were commonly forced into arranged marriages, often with much older men in distant villages.

As an alternative, becoming a Sworn Virgin, or 'burnesha" elevated a woman to the status of a man and granted her all the rights and privileges of the male population. In order to manifest the transition such a woman cut her hair, donned male clothing and sometimes even changed her name. Male gestures and swaggers were practiced until they became second nature. Most importantly of all, she took a vow of celibacy to remain chaste for life. She became a "he".

http://www.jillpetersphotography.com/swornvirginsofalbania

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

wat. Multiple?

Pharmacists are trained to spot hazardous drug interactions and stop them before it ever becomes an actual threat.

wat.

: (

Doctors need to know dis things.

PSN: Honkalot
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Bill Murray couldn't possibly have committed all those crimes. Bobcat Goldthwait did some of that shit.

Cinders wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that medicine didn't come up with the scientific method. Philosophers were refining what we came to know as the scientific method, again, for thousands of years, while physicians were still relying on a combination of mysticism, pure speculation, and outright huckstering.

Dammit, don't give legitimacy to the philosophers.

More people might decide to get philosophy degrees.

Well, ancient philosophers. Every useful science spun out from philosophy at one point. Philosophy will likely spin out useful ones in the future.

That doesn't mean that every person with a philosophy degree will be even tangentially involved in them.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

A doctor once got really mad when I refused to wash out someone's infected wound with hydrogen peroxide

whaaaaaat

That's wrong? I do that whenever I get a serious cut.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

"Sworn Virgin" is the term given to a biological female in the Balkans who is chosen, usually at an early age, to take on the social identity of a man for life. As a tradition dating back hundreds of years, this was necessary in societies that lived within tribal clans, followed the Kanun, an archaic code of law, and maintained an oppressive rule over the female gender.The Kanun states that women are considered to be the property of their husbands. The freedom to vote, drive, conduct business, earn money, drink, smoke, swear, own a gun or wear pants was traditionally the exclusive province of men. Young girls were commonly forced into arranged marriages, often with much older men in distant villages.

As an alternative, becoming a Sworn Virgin, or 'burnesha" elevated a woman to the status of a man and granted her all the rights and privileges of the male population. In order to manifest the transition such a woman cut her hair, donned male clothing and sometimes even changed her name. Male gestures and swaggers were practiced until they became second nature. Most importantly of all, she took a vow of celibacy to remain chaste for life. She became a "he".

That is really interesting. Thanks! It's always pretty cool to see how concrete gender is in other societies.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    are we still talking about the platinum coin? i've been approached by every faction in the mojave about it :-o

Im stealing this and making the nerdiest politics/vidja game facebook status.

NO FUCK YOU :C

*checks Facebook*
    :lol:

I had to stake my claim before more copycats started their dastardly work

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

whaaaaaat

it kills everything.

including the shit that is healing your cut.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

whaaaaaat

Dude, soap. Or alcohol.

Peroxide burns like a motherfucker because it's giving you chemical burns.

I don't need to take medicine that is dangerous atm at least. But I try to keep an eye out and read up anyway.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Bill Murray tried to destroy Lucy Liu's career, really? Boy I can't wait to hear this one!
    are you saying you don't believe it

god, he's good at this

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

— Posted by John Campea

I still feel stupid about it, but the first Charlie’s Angels movie actually caught me by surprise. I enjoyed it, I thought it was fun, lighthearted and Crispin Glover rocked in it. Now, everyone knows that the sequel completely sucked, so it’s for the best that Bill Murray wasn’t there to reprise his role as Bosley. I’ve heard several explanations gives for why he wasn’t there… but while surfing around the web this evening I came across this:

Bill Murray and Lucy Liu didn’t get along on the set of the first Charlie’s Angels. Bill was always uncomfortable around her and nobody knew why until one day a huge fight erupted between the two while they were filming a scene. People Magazine reported the Bill ‘loudly complained about her technique.’ People was being gentle.

What actually transpired was much more intense. Bill Murray stopped a scene in progress and pointed to Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, and Lucy Liu saying in order, “I get why you’re here, and you’ve got talent….but what in the hell are you doing here. You can’t act!” At that, Liu blew her lid and attacked Murray, wildly throwing punches. The actors had to be separated to opposite corners of the room while they lobbed verbal hand grenades at each other.

With a Columbia Pictures gun to their heads, both actors would publicly downplay in incident but insiders know better. Bill Murray would not do any sequel with Liu attached and was subsequently replaced by Bernie Mac.

Yeah but he's right about Lucy Liu.

cptrugged wrote: »
    Bill Murray couldn't possibly have committed all those crimes. Bobcat Goldthwait did some of that shit.

AUGH where is that from? It's super familiar but I can't place the reference. It's a Chris Rock thing, right?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    u r all poops

919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

— Posted by John Campea

The fuck? Lucy Liu punched Bill Murray?

DEAD
    ME

zagdrob wrote: »

whaaaaaat

Dude, soap. Or alcohol.

THE PAIN MAKES IT WORK BETTER THAN ALCOHOL

NUB

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

wat. Multiple?

wat.

: (

Doctors need to know dis things.

There's a big "See your doctor", "Ask your doctor" mantra because they're supposed to know everything. They don't. They make mistakes. Some are capable of being criminals (just like in any other profession). They're human beings.

And to be more fair to doctors, even the best ones aren't going to be able to keep up with perfect data on new things coming out in the pharmacy world. Shit changes fast. It's one of the reasons why when my friend talks about pharmaceutical development companies bringing him and his coworkers full steak dinners it makes me feel a little less comfortable in this world.

God

learn 2 medicine ffs

• AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

Foreign culture gender views are so revealing on how cultural some peoples low opinion of trans people are.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The doctors I've seen seem fairly disconnected from the nuts and bolts of actual medical science in the same way a car repair place is disconnected from complex engineering.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

As a person working with doctors,

pharm people are the worst don't trust them. They're only like two steps above patients, who are the for-real worst.

(This is probably why I am not going to try to join a profession where I have to deal with people. I am not so good at it.)
    Having worked in pharmacy, I'm interested that the perception of incompetence goes both ways. I've known some really dickish and unpleasant pharmacists, but they are usually quite sharp.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Very interesting.

I wonder if by 'chaste' they were only barred from being with men, or men and women.

whaaaaaat

Dude, soap. Or alcohol.

Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't burn me when I put it on a cut. Soap and Alcohol sting like hell though.

Maybe you're thinking iodine?

When they were working on Charlie's Angels he hated his female co-stars and Liu in particular. He was notably not invited to participate in the sequel, by producer Drew Barrymore who is well known for being unforgiving and capricious (that is sarcasm).

Lucy Liu allegedly punched him.

But them, Murray also allegedly assaulted the director on that set.

He's a fine actor, but he has some Christian Bale shit going on.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Very interesting.

I wonder if by 'chaste' they were only barred from being with men, or men and women.

men, in all likelihood

in traditional societies, families are used as economic vehicles, and issued children are what cause so much havoc in inheritance law and so forth

no children, no problem

aRkpc.gif
    Elendil wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    are you saying you don't believe it

god, he's good at this

Well, I will admit that I haven't seen Lucy Liu in film in a long, long time. Maybe someone did destroy her career.
    it was her all along

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

AUGH where is that from? It's super familiar but I can't place the reference. It's a Chris Rock thing, right?

No Sex in the Champagne Room.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    i have a big (1L?) bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a big bottle of rubbing alcohol in my emergency preparedness kit!

suck it....everybody?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Do we not pour hydrogen peroxide on wounds anymore?

Nosir

Like 3% maybe? There's no evidence it's much benefit though cause along with destroying the bacteria it fucks the wound healing process up good.

And this guy wanted me to use 30%

In fact he only backed down when the bottle arrived from pharmacy and I peeled the label back to reveal in bold red lettering "DO NOT USE THIS ON WOUNDS"

On the combination drug conflicts, we use this electronic prescribing thing which in theory eliminates the risk by detecting harmful combinations and displaying warnings. But I have never seen someone read the warning before hitting close, and it's the easiest thing to override when making a new prescription so pff.

On the other end of awareness is some doctors have really antiquated notions of things that can't go together. The heart ward I'm on now has this big policy that no one be prescribed clopidogrel and omeprazole because they'd interact and kill em. I was asked on my first day why that is, couldn't answer, felt like a dumb. Turns out there is no reason, it's just some belief that they interact which has been disproven many a time - most recently in a study just last year.

Oh brilliant
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Like, if I had a medical question I would ask a pharmacist in most cases. Unless it was something like "can you take this bullet out of my abdomen", obvs

This discussion has been closed.