As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1 / 9 / 13: How many years was I asleep?

2»

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Note to self: never sneak up behind the princess.

But if she knows you're there it's all gravy. :winky:

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Note to self: never sneak up behind the princess.

But if she knows you're there it's all gravy. :winky:

Unless you're a walking carpet.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i don't believe in a statue of limitations for spoilers

Anti, it's a statute of limitations. There is no statue anywhere one earth called "Limitations" (well, maybe there is, but still).

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i was on a smartphone, which, as we all know, are jerks.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Gonna build a self-empowerment theme park. At the center is a statue - clad in chains and locks - named "Limitations". At the end of the day, all the visitors get hammers and all get to help break the statue of Limitations, and so experience catharsis and a surge of self-confidence. The statue is replaced that night for tomorrow's visitors.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

• 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Gonna build a self-empowerment theme park. At the center is a statue - clad in chains and locks - named "Limitations". At the end of the day, all the visitors get hammers and all get to help break the statue of Limitations, and so experience catharsis and a surge of self-confidence. The statue is replaced that night for tomorrow's visitors.

So their efforts are completely futile, then.

8aVThp6.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Google finally gave me one of the panels from WatXM, but seriously we need some posts from someone who's scanner is working and/or has digital versions.

Doop!
    tumblr_mg5x9ku1sn1qzniqdo1_500.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    143999 wrote: »

How depressing for the poor bastard of an employee who's job it is, every night, to drag another statue out of the secret underground statue warehouse and set it up in the middle of the park.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Google finally gave me one of the panels from WatXM, but seriously we need some posts from someone who's scanner is working and/or has digital versions.

Doop!
    tumblr_mg5x9ku1sn1qzniqdo1_500.jpg

I got you covered.
    YKYGu.jpg
    3b5Dt.png

Naw dude, that's a different statue for a different group of people. The ones from the day before, they already tackled their statue of Limitations. They've cast off their shackles.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.
    Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Leia is Luke's sister.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Han isn't related to anybody.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The Empire is defeated by teddybears.
    Teddybears+Sthlm+Teddybears.jpg

Not these teddybears.

Gaslight on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I actually feel that the latest arc of WatXM has been less good

with the clowns and so on

it's like ehhhhhhh get back to the school and lets do some more interesting things please

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I actually feel that the latest arc of WatXM has been less good

with the clowns and so on

it's like ehhhhhhh get back to the school and lets do some more interesting things please

I agree but Aaron has said 25 is the start of a big big story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Cool to see Leia getting her hands dirty. When you think about it, she accomplishes less than any other character in the original trilogy, and her most memorable moments involve being captured or rescued.

For me, her most memorable moment was getting fed up with her rescuers, taking the gun away from... Luke, was it? and shooting up some Stormtroopers. Which was always kind of character-defining for me. I thought of it as being almost a reversal of the standard "kidnapped princess needs to be rescued" trope; it's true that she's kidnapped and needs to be rescued, but she takes a dim view of her saviors, and gets annoyed by their ineffectiveness (and shows them how it's done).

I believe that if you watch the OT and keep track, Leia comes out with a higher body count than any of the other heroes. If you don't count the Death Star for Luke, that is.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    see317 wrote: »

How depressing for the poor bastard of an employee who's job it is, every night, to drag another statue out of the secret underground statue warehouse and set it up in the middle of the park.

That would be rewarded with the Statue of Futility. Alternately, Statue of Oppression.

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Here's some stuff I read this week, some of which came out last week.

The End Times of Bram and Ben #1; by James Asmus, Jim Festante, and Rem Broo.

Following the Rapture, during which total bastard/general layabout Bram is taken due to clerical error, he decides to use the event to his own benefit. Meanwhile, his hapless roommate Ben concentrates on saving his soul, and wondering what manner of sinning his left-behind crush has been up to.

I picked this up on a whim, because it had a cool Jim Mahfood cover, and I'm really digging it so far. Slacker buddy comedies aren't something that's seen often in comics, and this is really nailing that tone. And Rem Broo's art is about one degree away from Chew's Rob Guillory, which I greatly enjoy.
    gYH3D.jpg

5kcAn.jpg

Glory #31; by Joe Keatinge, Ross Campbell, and Ulises Farinas.

Glory goes to visit her Dad, and reminisces about old times.

I've said it before, but colorist Owen Gieni is the special, magic ingredient in this book. He takes Farinas' art, which typically has more of a pastel, Seth Fisher-influenced thing going on, and turns it into something straight out of Heavy Metal. That's not to downplay Farinas' talent, but seriously, Gieni transforms his work into something it's never really been before.
    87v9C.jpg

aO25L.jpg

Godzilla: Half Century War #4; by James Stokoe.

Godzilla v.s. Godzilla v.s. Godzilla.
    VkyIR.jpg

q0kTL.jpg

Prophet #32; by Simon Roy.

Brother John Ka happens upon a Prophet who has abandoned his mission, in order to care for a tribe of primitive ape-people, and is torn between her loyalty to the Empire, and her desire to see this strange tribe preserved.

Also, jetpacks.
    1Z1Z5.jpg

I love how Roy hand-letters those sound effects into the work.

Punisher War Zone #2; by Greg Rucka and Carmine di Giandomenico.

Punisher uses Thor as a living weapon, Thor doesn't appreciate it, and they settle their differences.
    X6WSj.jpg

FsSm4.jpg

I was a little wary when I started reading this, because Thor starts out as very staid and official, which is probably my least favorite version of the character. But, he quickly opens up once all the fighting's done, and becomes more personable.

Additionally, di Giandomenico draws, and Matt Hollingsworth colors, an amazing Thor. There's a scene where the God of Thunder cuts loose with a little sturm und drang, and it looks amazing.

It's unfortunate to know that this series is building to a whole lot of nothing, what with Punisher running around in Thunderbolts for the near future, but for now, I'm greatly enjoying this.

Munch on
    dang, Punisher: War Zone looks great

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I was going to post some War Zone stuff too, here's the bait scene because screw you norse gods:
    punisherwarzone3a.jpg

punisherwarzone3b.jpg

It's a good series so far, and I say that as someone who isn't really a Rucka fan. What I like about it more than anything is that the Avengers kind of realize Punisher is self destructive but he doesn't really get in their way. He'll take others down with him for sure (I actually think Rucka might do the opposite of what he set up this issue), but Thor and Black Widow and even Wolverine don't really lecture him about stuff. Spider-Man is pretty much the only one with his webs in a twist.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Superior Spider-Man #1, The new Spider-Man catches the new Sinister Six in his web.
    xhyNf.jpg

kTxIy.jpg

ueVQn.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    All the moments on this page were great.

Now I want to go back and reread all those books again.

fuck

power

dampening

forever

Why would you have a problem with an all-purpose, writer-fiat energy field that disables biological body structures, turns off genes, negates magic, and short-circuits technology all in one go?

why indeed

also it's not that power dampeners doesn't make sense because it covers all the bases (which it doesn't, and is stupid. Like, why did the power dampener on New Avengers turn off Ares's super strength? He's not a regular human with enhanced powers, he just is that strong naturally.)

It's that they are giant fucking cop-outs whenever they are used

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Has there been a Power Dampening Man yet? Just some dude with no special abilities, just wearing head-to-toe dampening tech and just walking up to depowered villains and kicking 'em in their junk?

That seems like it would be far more effective than it should be.

Dude, how did you forget about Leech?

250px-X198leech.jpg

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Clearly my memory is a super power that was dampened.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Has there been a Power Dampening Man yet? Just some dude with no special abilities, just wearing head-to-toe dampening tech and just walking up to depowered villains and kicking 'em in their junk?

That seems like it would be far more effective than it should be.

Far more entertaining, too.

Although the Haitan from Heroes was pretty much that; only without the nut kicking.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I read the power dampener as being more like it was an EMP frying their tech (since all of them were tech based other than Speed Demon, who he'd already taken care of.)

And Leech only affected mutants didnt he?

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Why would you have a problem with an all-purpose, writer-fiat energy field that disables biological body structures, turns off genes, negates magic, and short-circuits technology all in one go?

Same reason someone might hypothetically have a problem with a story featuring at its core a character who, not long ago, decided that the best thing he could do on his deathbed was attempt to kill as many people as humanly possible so he could be remembered as history's greatest monster. This was what he felt was the most valuable use of his remaining time on Earth.

And now we're supposed to believe this guy wants redemption or whatever.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I read the power dampener as being more like it was an EMP frying their tech (since all of them were tech based other than Speed Demon, who he'd already taken care of.)

I remember thinking that and then wondering 'why not just call it an EMP? Or a dampening field? Or an energy dampener?' All those make it sound like a thing that attacks tech-based stuff, rather than actual super powers.

I assume that's what it must be, since Spidey then just jumps into the area of the field before shutting it off without losing his powers.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I assumed it was a sort of EMP blast thing, not something that just caused super powers to stop working