As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Bemoan the passing of the old thread, but celebrate the new!

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wulf wrote: »
    Why haven't we started buttering up our credit cards for this yet?
    http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34435_1-57563244/microns-new-terabyte-class-ssd-is-under-$600/
    :drool:

Oh but we already have, on this very page.

Can't wait for some of these to be available

Dammit of course I rolled over to a new page while trying to talk about same page posts

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    I can't even hold onto my wallet, it keeps popping onto my keyboard. :sadface:

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Review my computer build, minions.
    Acutally you are all classy people whose opinions I trust and value- don't hurt meeeee

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, $59.99

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS, $139.99

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K, $229.99

Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+, $29.99

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, $47.99

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, $399.99

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply, $89.99

SSD : Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit, $209.99

HDD : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive, $84.99

OS: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM, $99.99

Total, $1,392.90

All items from Newegg.

I'm looking specifically for items that don't match up or capabilities I don't need. I plan to overclock the CPU a bit, nothing too crazy. If there's a similar item (especially for the Mobo or GPU) that might save a few dollars without a huge loss in performance, please let me know

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Just ordered my 680s. Decided to forgo the 4GB model and go with the msi lightning 2gb with faster clock speeds. Seems to be well received and I only play on one monitor so I don't need the extra ram. They arrive on Tuesday, in time for my three day weekend.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    That actually looks pretty good to go VeritasVR... you can save $10 if you don't get the ssd with transfer kit depending on whether you need it.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Also consider the Gigabyte Z77 UD3H board, I prefer it to the ASUS LK, but YMMV.

Incindium wrote: »
    That actually looks pretty good to go VeritasVR... you can save $10 if you don't get the ssd with transfer kit depending on whether you need it.

Agreed. It's just that Newegg has only the transfer kit included; I just checked Amazon which has the same item with no kit for $17.29 less.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    @VeritasVR You could save a little money and buy the upgrade version of Windows 8 Pro which you can do a clean install with. It requires a little bit of a workaround but it's quite easy and completely legal as long as you only use the key on one system. You could either pocket the savings or put it towards something like a 2TB hard drive instead of the 1TB Samsung.

I personally prefer the Thermalright HR-02 and TruSpirit coolers to the Hyper 212+, but they're all pretty much equivalent in performance and cost. I just like the mounting system, higher quality fans, and level of polish on the base of the Thermalrights more. However, they're not available from Newegg, only through Nans Gaming Gear or Amazon.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Newegg has it without transfer kit if you need to stick with Newegg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

Also your proc is a bit cheaper on Amazon as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B007SZ0E1K

steam_sig.png
    Oh also 212 Evo is slightly better than 212 Plus
    and its got a $5 rebate for the same base price
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

steam_sig.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Looking for a modestly priced graphic card upgrade.
    Currently running a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H motherboard with a 2500k in it.
    The current graphics card is my good trustly 5770.
    I was thinking of this:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeForce+GTX+660+2GB+GDDR5+PCI+Express+3.0+Graphics+Card/6820043.p?id=1218808244387&skuId=6820043

Now, you say, "Why would you buy from Best Buy?" well, I have a 20 reward certificate from when my parents bought a bunch of stuff there for my 3 year old for Christmas (an innotab, it's like a tablet for kids) and around 5 bucks left on an old gift card, so this brings the price down a bit. If anyone has a different recomendation, preferably from Best Buy so I can use those, I'm not dead set on this particular card.

Thanks guys.

Do it.

Did it. Re-ran the windows experience thing and my graphics jumped almost 2 whole points. So, that's cool. Still wondering why my Primary hard disk is at a 5.9 with my SSD. Do I have something wrong set up there? I mean, the thing still boots and is fully usable in less time than I can hit the power button and move the cat out of my chair. Is it reading the slowest drive in my machine? Is it because I have windows on my SSD and nearly all other programs on a HDD?

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Agreed. It's just that Newegg has only the transfer kit included; I just checked Amazon which has the same item with no kit for $17.29 less.

Newegg has an anniversary sale deal on the 1TB Spinpoint. EMCNJNB22 get you -$20. It hasn't been that cheap since before the Thailand flood.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with the Fractal R4? Case is the really the only thing left I have to choose.

Was going with the 500R late last year but the R4 has got some really positive stuff out there about it.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I have the R3 which is basically the R3 but without USB 3.0 and I really like it. Roomy enough so building is easy, and while not exactly small, it fits comfortably in a variety of locations (namely either on my desk or under it). I also like the soundproofing which is part of the reason the only thing I hear when my computer is running is my single fan video card.

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    How much RAM is enough for gaming and the like? 8 GB? 16?

8gigs is plenty for gaming.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    games cant use more then about 2 gb and thats only if they are specially set to do it. So 8 is about all you really need for normal use. Past that you really only need more ram for things like virtual servers or ram disks.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Thanks so much guys. Saved me almost $100 with minor tweaks to my build and supply sources.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    Good news, build complete! Bad news, one of my two 4GB sticks of RAM is definitely faulty. New monitor comes in hopefully sometime next week, hope that's enough time to RMA my RAM in time.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

Or if you've got a Micro Center near your place. It's $50 cheaper.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    So I finally have the time to upgrade my desktop from this piece of shit, to an SSD.

Newegg is having a special for a 520 Series Cherryville 240GB SSD at $240. I don't have that much experience with SSDs, except that my company's policy is to stick with Intel SSD for their reliability. I'm going to be gaming on this HD and I'd like to not to have to move steam games around too much, so 240GB seems like the sweet spot.

Go for it?

urahonky wrote: »

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388577/Core_i5_3570K_34GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

Or if you've got a Micro Center near your place. It's $50 cheaper.

Yeah, I went the 8 miles today and picked it up for $170. Also got the SSD for like $4 less.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    So I finally have the time to upgrade my desktop from this piece of shit, to an SSD.

Newegg is having a special for a 520 Series Cherryville 240GB SSD at $240. I don't have that much experience with SSDs, except that my company's policy is to stick with Intel SSD for their reliability. I'm going to be gaming on this HD and I'd like to not to have to move steam games around too much, so 240GB seems like the sweet spot.

Go for it?

Intel's drives are good, Crucial also has their 256GB M4 for $200.

steam_sig.png
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    So I'm looking to build a mostly new PC while reusing some parts from my previous PC (pretty sure the motherboard went as a result of an iffy PS). Here is a list of new parts I'm planning on buying:

CPU : Intel Core i5-3570K
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Power Supply : Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    SSD : OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G
    Memory : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R

Salvaged parts:
    SATA DVD Burner
    500 GB WD hard drive
    XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB graphics card

I'm wondering if the HD 4850 will be enough to handle current gen games with the new system? It's an older card but I was able to play stuff like Human Revolution with it pretty well before the last system went, but I remember it having trouble with the Old Republic beta. I'd like to save the $200-$300 on a new card if possible. I game at 1080p.

Also is that a decent SSD? I was gunning for the Crucial m4 but the price just jumped on newegg so I swapped it out.

So I built the system that I described here, and I'm having some issues. Basically I'm having trouble playing games at all. X-COM is ok for a few minutes but quickly becomes unplayable. Chivalry won't really run at all, is unplayably laggy from the start. I don't excpet an old Radeon HD 4850 to blow my socks off, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. My last computer used the same card and did much better. Do you guys have any ideas? I've updated the drivers and the BIOS, and I ran a windows memory scan without issue.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So I'm looking to build a mostly new PC while reusing some parts from my previous PC (pretty sure the motherboard went as a result of an iffy PS). Here is a list of new parts I'm planning on buying:

Salvaged parts:
    SATA DVD Burner
    500 GB WD hard drive

I'm wondering if the HD 4850 will be enough to handle current gen games with the new system? It's an older card but I was able to play stuff like Human Revolution with it pretty well before the last system went, but I remember it having trouble with the Old Republic beta. I'd like to save the $200-$300 on a new card if possible. I game at 1080p.

Also is that a decent SSD? I was gunning for the Crucial m4 but the price just jumped on newegg so I swapped it out.

So I built the system that I described here, and I'm having some issues. Basically I'm having trouble playing games at all. X-COM is ok for a few minutes but quickly becomes unplayable. Chivalry won't really run at all, is unplayably laggy from the start. I don't excpet an old Radeon HD 4850 to blow my socks off, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. My last computer used the same card and did much better. Do you guys have any ideas? I've updated the drivers and the BIOS, and I ran a windows memory scan without issue.

Figured out my problem by using Open Hardware Monitor to watch my CPU temp creep up to almost 90C while gaming. Turns out the wire from the stock Intel CPU heatsink was blocking the fan from spinning. I unraveled the wire from its little hooks, and now everything is fine.

Smurph on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Salvaged parts:
    SATA DVD Burner
    500 GB WD hard drive

Figured out my problem by using Open Hardware Monitor to watch my CPU temp creep up to almost 90C while gaming. Turns out the wire from the stock Intel CPU heatsink was blocking the fan from spinning. I unraveled the wire from i'st little hooks, and now everything it fine.

I did the same thing, with the same CPU. Except my BIOS gave me a 'CPU fan error' the first time I started up, that tipped me off. If it hadn't, I would be in the same boat.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Well, my new computer is built but now the screen blacks out frequently when I am out of safe mode, even when I don't even have any programs active. "Windows Kernel Mode v. 310.90 stopped and then recovered" or somesuch. Windows 7 Ultimate, GTX 680.

I've already tried updating everything in Windows Update apart from the Nvidia update it tries to push on me. I can't really see what the problem is since it worked yesterday, but I very much suspect it has something to do with a Windows update. Just no idea which. Oh, and the GPU is at 39 celsius when the problem appears, so it is not that.

I will get help this coming weekend from a savvier person than myself and I have an old computer I can use, so I am not asking out of desperation, just inconvenience.

Absalon on
    310.90 is the name of the newest Nvidia drivers. Did you update them recently?

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Yuss. After removing the most recent Nvidia-related Windows Update installations, I am at a slightly earlier version of the Nvidia 'Windows Kernel Mode' driver, but no luck.

Try the regular nvidia installer instead of a Windows one? What version of windows tries to update your video card drivers for you?

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Well, I bought my Prodigy and a HAF 912 Plus (gonna build a P67 rig to sell with some parts I have lying around). Even paying VAT, Amazon.de was a better deal than buying and shipping through Newegg or Amazon US.

Excited to have more stuff to build.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is there much difference when it comes to power supplies of popular manufacturers?

The only thing I really want it a fully modular box, been looking at the OCZ ZT 650W.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    The ZTs are perfectly servicable. Be warned the 650w only has two pcie connectors, so if you care about dual card get the 750w instead

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The computer I currently use was given to me for free. I never really paid much attention to the spec's until today. It has a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz). For giggles I looked up some benchmarks. I got giggles.

One day I'll get to build a new computer. One day.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I have the OCZ 650W and it's pretty awesome.

I'm not sure the ZT 650W unit is a great bet. JonnyGuru mentioned that their unit shut down when at 100% of the rated wattage (admittedly it was hot, but it was still a couple degrees C less than the unit was rated for, and a good unit is generally game for more than they claim it's capable of, not slightly less), and the sample HardOCP got apparently couldn't really get above 75% load in similar conditions without shutting down. Maybe OCZ accidentally borked the OTP, but whatever the case it's rated for 45C and it shouldn't be.

Overall the unit isn't a Diablothek-level disaster, but I think the inconvenience of a hardwired or semi-modular supply is preferable if it gets you a really quality unit.

Depending on your needs, the 500W Strider Plus full modular unit from Silverstone might also fit the bill. I have one that I quite like.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    The computer I currently use was given to me for free. I never really paid much attention to the spec's until today. It has a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz). For giggles I looked up some benchmarks. I got giggles.

One day I'll get to build a new computer. One day.

I had that exact processor. I came in here asking about upgrades, and MrMonroe GAVE me his Q6600. Which I sent along to another forumer a little while back now.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    Computer case: Bitfenix Shinobi, or Fractal Design Core 3000?

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I'm not sure the ZT 650W unit is a great bet. JonnyGuru mentioned that their unit shut down when at 100% of the rated wattage (admittedly it was hot, but it was still a couple degrees C less than the unit was rated for, and a good unit is generally game for more than they claim it's capable of, not slightly less), and the sample HardOCP got apparently couldn't really get above 75% load in similar conditions without shutting down. Maybe OCZ accidentally borked the OTP, but whatever the case it's rated for 45C and it shouldn't be.

Overall the unit isn't a Diablothek-level disaster, but I think the inconvenience of a hardwired or semi-modular supply is preferable if it gets you a really quality unit.

Depending on your needs, the 500W Strider Plus full modular unit from Silverstone might also fit the bill. I have one that I quite like.

I think semi-modular is the way to go. I mean, it's not like you're ever not going to need the 24 pin spinal column or the extra mobo power headers.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Yeah, fully modular can sometimes be sort of nice when you're routing cables through your system, but isn't worth paying any sort of premium for.