As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    No, no, no at the end you find out the entire thing was William Gibson's fever dream.

edit-

Alternatively: You beat the game, the the credits roll, and then at the end it cuts to a live action scene of the guys at CD Projekt Red all sitting down at a table. One of the dudes is standing up and says, "..and that is how the game will end." The rest of the people look at each other and then their boss says, "Sounds great, lets make it."

It'd be so meta I think my brain would literally implode on itself forming a black hole.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    And then you'll play through the perspective of one of those developers, working on the part where you play as a developer in the game after the credits.
    Which teaches you how to develop the game in real life, so you can develop games where the player plays the part of a player playing through as a developer developing a game, learning to be a developer and developing a game of that.

rRootagea on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's a game about that game but then after the credits roll it just throws up a screen that says "also you are in The Matrix."

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Eh.

Still less trippy than the ending of Bulletproof Coffin.

• rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Says your playable character as he takes off his VR goggles and faces the camera.

rRootagea on
  • EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
    I will say the first hour of Witcher 1 had some decent story, even if it was confusing given that I never read a Witcher book and the whole amnesia thing.

I haven't read the books either. But I think that's one of the reasons why they gave Geralt amnesia. As he was the viewpoint character, his amnesia explained why the other characters needed to explain things to the player that Geralt should already know. The other reason is because the author apparently killed Geralt off in the final book that he wrote. The amnesia provides a convenient handwave for CD Projekt to deal with the issue of how Geralt came back - i.e. "Dunno." *shrug*

The topic of why Geralt is alive doesn't get ignored. But the amnesia allowed them to not need to spend the first three hours of the game explaining why Geralt was alive and breathing.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Fake realities all the way down.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Thanks for explaining Eumerin. I don't mind amnesia plot devices actually, it was the gameplay that wasn't for me.

One thing they should have in Cyberpunk though is collectible cards for sexual partners.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'd like the story to be very small scale with the choice to get into some saving the world/Making it burn type of stuff.

Simple revenge, not on someone super powerful like a CEO of a corp with a million goons but a lowly gangleader.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Thanks for explaining Eumerin. I don't mind amnesia plot devices actually, it was the gameplay that wasn't for me.

One thing they should have in Cyberpunk though is collectible cards for sexual partners.

Nah, they'll go with simsense chip recordings so you'll have a totally in game reason to being able to rewatch the sex scenes.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I'd like the story to be very small scale with the choice to get into some saving the world/Making it burn type of stuff.

Simple revenge, not on someone super powerful like a CEO of a corp with a million goons but a lowly gangleader.
    Normally I'm all for "please just make a simple story, it doesn't have to be "save the world" sort of stuff, but there's no reason not to have a story that involves CEOs or something of megacorporations because no matter how big a corporation gets, we're all just human. No story you think up for your Cyberpunk RPG, no matter how epic you make it, is likely to be ridiculously unrealistic or feel overly epic the way that "defeat the ancient evil" typically feels lame in fantasy, because no matter how crazy stuff gets, there's always a human (or a computer or whatever) at the end of the line. As long as the stakes aren't global thermonuclear war or something really over the top, I see nothing wrong with saying "look, a whole Deus Ex game set in Hell's Kitchen might not be the greatest because then the player would never get to use any of the awesome gadgets or fight any of the awesome enemies." I'm not saying you can't make a good Cyberpunk RPG game that has a very low key story, but I am saying that this is a game I'd give a pass to if they wanted to have a grander tale, because it's not like I'd be saving the universe or something. Even the craziest plots are just the best laid plans of mice and men in the end.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Have you tried the sequel? It's fairly standalone (the prologue and 3-4 of the characters relate to the first game but that's about all) and the combat is massively different. It's pretty satisfying, especially since they touched up the responsiveness since the game was released.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    rRootagea wrote: »
    Well assuming you don't hate yourself
    That is one heck of an assumption. Or maybe that's just me.
    and have no problems with working for yourself,
    There's another.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I know. But say you start off in Psycho squad, and keep adding to yourself to be stronger.

To be honest, given what the character archetypes were in the RPG source material, I find it difficult to believe that the storyline will start you in a C-SWAT team. The cop archetype was only one of 9 possible classes in the core rulebook. It'd be like making a D&D game where you could only play as a paladin. Personally, I hope they either provide a variety of character backgrounds to start with, or at least start you as a blank slate.
    Normally I'm all for "please just make a simple story, it doesn't have to be "save the world" sort of stuff, but there's no reason not to have a story that involves CEOs or something of megacorporations because no matter how big a corporation gets, we're all just human.

Given that one of the character classes in the source material was the "corporate" (ie. a corporate raider looking to run operations for the company, while planning to backstab his rivals in the same company), it could be tremendously fun to pursue a plotline that played out from the reverse of your usual "fight the evil megacorporation" angle.

Operative21 on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    In true Gibsonian cyberpunk style, I suspect that if the teaser ends up in the game at all, it will be an event that doesn't directly involve the player. It'll be a news report, something that the player may witness, or even a Braindance recording the player encounters.

As the game progresses the event will become a thread the character can grab onto, and if pursued ties into the main story arc.

It makes sense to work that way as well. If you just sketch out broad scenes rooted in the game's archetypes you can get a lot of utility out of them. Even if they aren't used in the game, the research and design work will yield dividends like useful assets. And the ambiguity of the scene itself lends it a flexibility if you do decide to use it or part of it in the game itself.

Drake on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling that the PC will get shot in the head, then left for dead until someone picks up the PC and installs some robot bits all up in his brain for the class you want to play as. Tells him, here's some sunglasses and a 10mm pistol, now go dispense some street justice. And then you ride off into the gleaming sunset of some corporate logo and punch cyborgs for their cowboy hats.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He never asked for this.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    He never asked for this.

We had 8 pages without that. 8! Do you know what you have done? Do you?

I guess it's true - if you want to make enemies, try to change something.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    See, see, now it's started.

It's all a conspiracy.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    What a shame.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I laughed so hard I speel my dwink.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Hey, hey.

I know your UNATCO killphrases. Don't make me do it.

488W936.png
    Why contain it? 's cool.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Hey, hey.

I know your UNATCO killphrases. Don't make me do it.

I am not a machine!

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Pretty soon the people will start to get desperate.

5gsowHm.png
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to play this game with an Oculus Rift, because whether or not the Oculus does anything good with the game having it on and playing the game through it alone will fulfill a cyberpunk fantasy.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I feel like I need to play this game with an Oculus Rift, because whether or not the Oculus does anything good with the game having it on and playing the game through it alone will fulfill a cyberpunk fantasy.

I don't remember that quote at all...

He just wants to be able to say "my vision is augmented."

Syngyne wrote: »

Desperate. Your turn.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Desperate. Your turn.

Desperate.

5gsowHm.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I feel like the openness of an open world directly trades off with the strength of a linear narrative.
    I'd prefer less video game stories, and more video game systems.

Again: Witcher games. Open world presented in segments. Very strong stories. Best RPGs in a long time.

If this doesn't play like a dark future version of the Witcher with a SWAT TEAM MADE UP OF CYBORG SERIAL KILLERS then I'm gonna be bummed

Calling it right now: Chesty McTubetop is the false flag serial murderer.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest.

:D

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Oculus rift sure seems interesting. I'm just waiting to see how it does. Play a cyberpunk game with one would have a certain something though.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    The Oculus Rift isn't going to be very useful until they've worked out a better control method (ie one where mouse look isn't tied to your weapon). :( It might be cool for ARMA though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xpV7qq1vyd4#!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Well I guess that leads into the fun philosophical fritterflappy of What is human?
    In the film Blade Runner, there's apparently an experimental replicant who believes herself to be human.
    In life, there's a mental condition called sociopathy.
    Is the replicant just as human as a mass murderering sociopath and the rest of us by your metric?
    Wrong word. Replace "human" with "person" or you'll just end up in circles where one person is arguing consciousness&philosophy and the other biology.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I haven't seen the video. I'm at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZxkhLoukI

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    He doesn't really say anything at all but it's a well made video in one of my favorite cities so that's neat.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I know. But say you start off in Psycho squad, and keep adding to yourself to be stronger.

To be honest, given what the character archetypes were in the RPG source material, I find it difficult to believe that the storyline will start you in a C-SWAT team. The cop archetype was only one of 9 possible classes in the core rulebook. It'd be like making a D&D game where you could only play as a paladin. Personally, I hope they either provide a variety of character backgrounds to start with, or at least start you as a blank slate.

For the record, I would play the hell out of this game.

Elvenshae on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I laughed so hard I speel my dwink.

Was it lemon lime?

I thought you vanted orange.