As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Art thread with a clever title!

Cowboy CentaurCowboy Centaur Bullet SpongeWeston, MoRegistered User new member
hey guys, I would sure appreciate any crits you could give,

trying to get better at vehicles, designing thems not my strong suit
pummelcentaur.jpg

poster for a cousin's band
radkey.jpg

Monster Mash-up
monstermash.jpg

Rogue expressing her opinion of a certain "secret society"
Rogue.jpg

Minotaur design
Picture661.jpg

Fantasy map i came up with for a christmas art swap
themap.jpg
higher res version can be seen HERE

thanks for checking them out!

• Options
    Cowboy CentaurCowboy Centaur Bullet Sponge Weston, MoRegistered User new member
    here's a Princess Mononoke I did for a christmas art swap,

any critiques or comments would be appreicated, :)

princessmononoke.jpg

• Options
    MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    I love that so much!

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I think the composition is excellent, but it took me a while to actually find the focus of the picture. The focal point should be mononoke, but your eye is naturally drawn to the strong black lines in the background. It's a nice way to do the treeline but the high contrast draws away from where the eye should be led.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    thank you Halen, I typically either go with a rule of thirds or a golden ratio for my compositions, and used the ratio on this one in particular. the focal point is actually the little white guy who's breaking the fourth wall, but I wanted Mononoke in there as well.

I see what you mean about the treeline, it really does jump out doesn't it? I suppose I ought to have gone with something much lighter, like some 30% zipatone or something. I may redo it in GIMP. im not quite happy with the leaves on the tree either, I really struggle with that kind of thing.

thank you for checking it out man, and thank you as well MuddyParasol for your kind words.

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I think that the Mononoke image seems a bit too bright and uniform in tone overall. That may be a product of scanning it in, but I think using a bit more tonal variation could help focus where you want the viewer to look, without having to make substantive changes to the image itself.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick 5 minute paintover to show what I mean:
    princessmononokeZ.jpg

Anyway, I like the ambition and time you obviously put into your work. Good luck and keep at it.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    wow, that does help quite a bit, unfortunately I dont have the original anymore, but thank you man! I will definitly keep it in mind for future stuff!