As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Planetside 2]: Lasers for the laser god.

• Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    I don't think you get to complain with a KDR > 10

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    MAXes seem fine to me, aside from the stupidly bad vanu AI guns (which really just need their fire cone tightened up a bit and they'd be okay.)

It's hard to think what additional utility LAs should get that wouldn't just be biting something some other class does. Being able to hack things would be a good fit (they're better at 'infiltrating' than the infiltrator anyway), but just giving them another class' ability seems silly. The suggestion I've seen people post is that they should have some kind of ammo scavenging ability, but I dunno how that would work really.

Also I trialed the HEAT on my lightning and while it did make me realize how nice the extra half second of reload time is, I also really missed the HE's blast radius. I dunno, I can't decide which I'd prefer to go with and it'd cost like 400 certs to get the HEAT cannon unlocked and set up.

I haven't tried the HE yet, but I bought the HEAT turret immediately after trialing it and haven't regretted the decision yet; being able to one-shot infantry and fight armor effectively has been a phenomenal boost. Also killing Libs and cocky ESFs in 2-3 shots is great.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So much easier landing hits with the HEAT turret than the default terribad viper turret.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    A duck! wrote: »
    If they improve the Vanu guns they'll have to improve the TR ones even more, because the Cosmos beats basically anything they get. Really, though, none of the MAXes are good at Anti-Infantry, outside of Hacksaws inside the Biolab. MAXes are still the best Ground to Air, though, which is kinda ridiculous.
    Yeah, the effectiveness of the Skyguard and the Burster MAX need to be switched but nope: A suit of clunky power armor beats out a god damn tank. Do all three races have comparable AT options on their MAXes?
    A duck! wrote: »
    wakkawa wrote: »
    If they improve the TR and VS guns then they will have to weaken the NC guns some more.

Cus SOE hates NC people.

Unless you are talking about just MAXEs. That's all we got.

Would you go drown in your tears already?

Oh this is nothing. If you want to see a real shit show watch this:
    Hey Wakkawa, Javelins.
    I haven't tried the HE yet, but I bought the HEAT turret immediately after trialing it and haven't regretted the decision yet; being able to one-shot infantry and fight armor effectively has been a phenomenal boost. Also killing Libs and cocky ESFs in 2-3 shots is great.
    Yup, the HEAT cannon is civilization. The HE nerf makes the prior statement even more true.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I just ran into a hacker called LusciousLou who could force you to swap to a different weapon slot. :shock:

Anddd since he was terrible I just gunned him down anyway.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the main thing that would make me prefer the HE is the ability to do stuff like fire around cover or into windows or such and have enough blast radius to still get kills out of it. The HEAT does similar damage but the radius is pretty limiting if you're doing stuff other than firing at infantry that are out in the open. On the other hand, being able to do more than just tickle enemy armor is really nice.

Maybe I'll just wait a couple weeks and see if there's any dev response to the pushback on the HE nerf.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    There's a huge population of NC on Jaeger, but literally half of them are sitting in the Amerish Warpgate not doing a goddamn thing.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I just ran into a hacker called LusciousLou who could force you to swap to a different weapon slot. :shock:

During the last double xp, there were two times where suddenly my weapons were changing like my mouse wheel was stuck. I just assumed it was my mouse or a game bug because... well... you know. It never crossed my mind that it might be a hacker.

I've played a good amount of other factions and I think that the NC guns are fine, except for one small thing. When you get hit by a bullet, your aim gets messed up a little. NC guns shoot less bullets, so there is less of this effect that is going on. Most people assume it's just NC that can't handle their recoil. I think it should be changes so that it's damage based and not a set amount per hit.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    The camera shake in this game is pretty ridiculous. I wish they'd get rid of it.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    rRootagea wrote: »

B-but being a pilot is h-hard and AA is so mean! He could easily have a KDR of 20 if AA wasn't so OP!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    rRootagea wrote: »

B-but being a pilot is h-hard and AA is so mean! He could easily have a KDR of 20 if AA wasn't so OP!

You goose, I was going to say the same thing but I thought it was lame.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8nlakcXtXe4

i hate watching videos like this. Every single time I drop on any kind of base, I IMMEDIATELY get shot at/sniped/blown up but this guy just finds the most oblivious people ever and goes on ginormous killing sprees.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    htp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8nlakcXtXe4

i hate watching videos like this. Every single time I drop on any kind of base, I IMMEDIATELY get shot at/sniped/blown up but this guy just finds the most oblivious people ever and goes on ginormous killing sprees.

Yeah those were some really stupid Vanu. Kill streaks light that aren't difficult though, even if you don't drop in.

You just have to make sure you aren't seen going in, or at least keep on the move and don't engage if too many enemies see you. I normally jet pack in from the ground level, then take take the lift and use my jet pack to keep my momentum and hop onto the base of the pillar. You should be pretty safe as long as you stay on the move and use silenced weapons.

Also, the ammo belt comes in handy when you're farming this way.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    MAXes seem fine to me, aside from the stupidly bad vanu AI guns (which really just need their fire cone tightened up a bit and they'd be okay.)

I think all MAX are a bit weak (being excessively vulnerable to small arms fire), other than perhaps the dual hacksaw NC max in a bio lab.

The VS AV Max is the only max that seems remotely good at AV work. The VS AI MAX is horribad and actually the AV weapons seem better against infantry. TR MAX are in general in very poor state, IMO (with their AV one being basically unusable). I'll always see swarms of NC MAX at any bio lab fight, and VS pull a lot of AV Maxe's for longer range stand off fights...swarms of TR Max do not seem to exist. I did find an AI TR Max in a tech plant the other day. My VS AV Max just mowed him down. I was actually kind of surprised how fun my AV MAX was and how good it was at plastering infantry at shortish ranges. The NC AV Max is also bad. Really only the following MAX are useful:

NC AI MAX
    VS AV MAX
    Burster MAX

I think at least some of the MAX problems could be fixed with better certs - right now the anti small arms fire armor is like, 1% per level, which is lol.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've been playing around with the different carbines on my different LA and....where is the TR long range 'accurate' carbine? It doesn't seem to exist. NC and LA both get good short range high ROF carbines (vx67, gd7) and then longer range more accurate carbines (pulsar)). TR just has the short range carbines. All the TR carbines seem much of a muchness with very little difference between them.
    Taranis wrote: »
    The camera shake in this game is pretty ridiculous. I wish they'd get rid of it.

Yeah...is there any way to get rid of it? I hate that vehicles just spam explosives all the time so in most fights I seem resigned to perma camera shake.

Vorpal on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So when text changes become available, are you guys going to make TR red, NC blue, and VS purple, or are you sticking with the Green/Red scheme?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8nlakcXtXe4

I get blown up by my OWN TEAM. Just tanks aircraft randomly spamming HE all over and hoping for kills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The TR has no accurate Carbine. LC2 for DPS, LC3 for slightly better cone.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    I've been playing around with the different carbines on my different LA and....where is the TR long range 'accurate' carbine? It doesn't seem to exist. NC and LA both get good short range high ROF carbines (vx67, gd7) and then longer range more accurate carbines (pulsar)). TR just has the short range carbines. All the TR carbines seem much of a muchness with very little difference between them.

The best long range carbines for the TR are between the T5 AMC and the TRAC-5 S, but neither are really ideal. The T5 has the better loadout with two forward grips and a compensator, but the first shot recoil is very high.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »

Yeah...is there any way to get rid of it? I hate that vehicles just spam explosives all the time so in most fights I seem resigned to perma camera shake.

There's no way to disable it. It would be a ridiculous accuracy advantage if you could turn it off.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    I ask because in world of tanks you could disable it, and yes, it was a huge advantage in accuracy to turn it off, so everyone did. Which makes you wonder why it was there in the first place :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    So when text changes become available, are you guys going to make TR red, NC blue, and VS purple, or are you sticking with the Green/Red scheme?

I don't think they've explicitly stated how granular the color tuning will get (have they?). My guess is that you may be able to change the enemy color (from red to whatever), but all enemy indicators will be that new color. We'll probably still be able to change base and terminal marker colors though, since those are already faction specific (but hard as hell to differentiate from a distance, especially VS and NC).

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    I'm probably going to go straight green/red because having enemy infantry hidden by my own red 'friendly' icons as TR is annoying, and being unable to tell between my friendly VS/enemy NC icons is also annoying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Having a tough time seeing what they are, to be honest. Looks like a softening of the corner at the crown end of the TI alloys bridge, an alternate direct approach from the west zurvan satellite base, and I can't tell what's going on in the leftmost picture.

ed: oh, and a new indestructible tree

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, I can't figure out the last one at all, unless it's just some texture changes.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Adding more trees for cover?

Edit:

I wonder how much it messes up the sight lines from the upper levels to break lock-ons on vehicles charging up the hill?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Awesome. And here I'd worried that they'd never alter terrain after launch.

The change made in the right most picture was to the goat path 'north' of the building, which was widened.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    also I've had LA runs like in that video, although usually not quite so successfully. I really need to spend some certs on the ammo belt though

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

I don't think they've explicitly stated how granular the color tuning will get (have they?). My guess is that you may be able to change the enemy color (from red to whatever), but all enemy indicators will be that new color. We'll probably still be able to change base and terminal marker colors though, since those are already faction specific (but hard as hell to differentiate from a distance, especially VS and NC).

The base markers always puzzled me... why have the colour so... faded? i guess, i mean... like you said its near impossible to tell VS/NC apart at a glance...

always fun 'Oh hey, did NC just take that outlying tower or? *gets shot in the face* yep, yes they certainly did.'

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »

The base markers always puzzled me... why have the colour so... faded? i guess, i mean... like you said its near impossible to tell VS/NC apart at a glance...

always fun 'Oh hey, did NC just take that outlying tower or? *gets shot in the face* yep, yes they certainly did.'

I have found it easy enough to duck somewhere safe and just look in the direction of the outlying bases. As long as you are within the bases influence a symbol will show up as a faction specific color for who owns it. It does not even require bringing the map up. Just look in it's general direction.

• Options
    It is tougher to tell apart VS/NC, but it is rarely an issue for me. Make sure you have your monitor colors are set correctly if you haven't already. I use monitor calibration wizard

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Now the devs are talking about making SMGs for all classes (minus MAX).

• Options
    I guess that is alright. It would be like how every class gets the shotguns. I'd like to see something unique for the LA and Engineer classes (separately) though.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The only thing that's really tough to tell apart with VS/NC are the little icons for equipment terminals and generators and such, and they aren't really a big deal. Every once in a while I'll shoot a terminal that's been hacked friendly, but meh.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    VS/NC infiltrator suits are pretty darn similar. I've died so many times because it took me too long to identify an NC infiltrator.

• Options
    I just shoot the VS ones too

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Now the devs are talking about making SMGs for all classes (minus MAX).

Damn.
    She's cute.

I just want SMGs for my infiltrator.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

Liberator balance changes in tomorrow's patch, and maybe jumpjet fix (please, let it be so).

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    SMGs on the infiltrator may cause that class to massively cut into my Engineer time.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.