As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Dammit, I just found out that I can't "agree" my own posts.

Edit: Also, reading that article it says that didio was the one that wanted him in charge, the fuck.

sweetcreamscoops on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    There's enough great stuff in the Nu52 that I can take the bad with it. Especially now that we're at the ~1.5 year mark.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Merlin the TunaMerlin the Tuna Registered User regular
    There's enough great stuff in the Nu52 that I can take the bad with it. Especially now that we're at the ~1.5 year mark.
    What do you think is really great in the Nu52 these days? I do love Wonder Woman and enjoy the Flash, but -- and I hate to say this, having grown up on the DCAU -- I feel like I'm pretty much done with DC at this point. Even things that I was initially excited for like Batman, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing, I feel like my patience has just run out.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Animal Man and Swamp Thing are both pretty good

Superman is also good right now

Action Comics has been great

Snyder's Batman is really good

Aquaman is very enjoyable

Sword and Sorcery is fun

I could go on...

yeah DC is putting out a lot of shit

and a lot more shit than Marvel is

but they are making good comics too

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    What do you think is really great in the Nu52 these days? I do love Wonder Woman and enjoy the Flash, but -- and I hate to say this, having grown up on the DCAU -- I feel like I'm pretty much done with DC at this point. Even things that I was initially excited for like Batman, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing, I feel like my patience has just run out.

I feel similarly. I like the good books, but even they remind of the new status quo universe and it kills my enthusiasm. I miss the legacy, the history, the single timeline where everything happened... the New52 started to feel like New Coke to me.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Batman, Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated are all really good. I can't really comment on the others as I've only read the first issue of Swamp Thing and Flash but sometimes I wonder whether people aren't beig a bit nostalgic. Go back and read some of the older Batman runs. They're pretty... Crap. I'm talking about things like No Man's Land or Knightfall.

I do also regret that the legacy has been wiped but from a story telling perspective the Batman stuff is firing from all canons.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    (I do wish that they'd stop bumbling their way in and out of DEATHTRAPS though. It's beig overused)

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I'm currently only reading eight Dc books on a monthly basis, but there's a lot of books coming out in the next few months that I'm interested in; Green arrow, birds of prey, JLA, vibe, action, birds of prey, red hood, Constantine, threshhold, and ravangers. But a lot of them are going to be on a short leash.

Also, I just started reading 100 bullets, holy shit is this series good. So good that it made me buy Dr.13 off amazon. I'm on a massive azzarello kick, this man is God.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

IMO of course.

Objectively Good:

Animal Man + Swamp Thing.
    Aquaman.
    Batman + Batman & Robin.
    Batman Inc.
    Batwoman.
    Demon Knights.
    Dial H.
    Earth 2.
    Superman (annual, 0, 12+).
    Sword of Sorcery.
    Talon.
    Team 7.
    Wonder Woman.
    Shazam (backup to Justice League)

Then there's other comics that are mostly good with some ups and downs like Flash, Frankenstein, Justice League Dark, Green Lantern New Guardians, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Supergirl, etc.

There's also some very good looking upcoming books and some good team changes upcoming.

vagrant_winds on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    How good is Team 7 because I am wary of war comics by DC after Blackhawks and G.I. Combat

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    why did Superman die in the new continuity?

edited January 2013
    Brainleech wrote: »
    How good is Team 7 because I am wary of war comics by DC after Blackhawks and G.I. Combat

It's not a war book. It's an in the past team book that features (among some others) Amanda Walker, Black Canary (and her husband), Grifter, and Deathstoke working for the government to curtail threats in the current superhuman 'arms race'. It gives both strong action and fills in backstory. And it's nice seeing heroes and anti-heroes/anti-villians that once worked together and shared a history.

I'm personally looking forward to when Steve Trevor joins the team. He's not in the book yet, but from the current timeline we know he becomes a member.

vagrant_winds on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There's only one book that feels like it couldn't exist in the old universe, and that's Wonder Woman. But I bet if you gave Azzarello an arc or two to get to his idea of the greek pantheon he could have made it work, like Wonder Woman runs so fast on Mount Olympus she brings in gods from another universe. Waitaminute.....

More than anything I think if Waid was EiC he would be better suited to reign in Johns' worse tendencies on books and the overall feeling of everything be super serious.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I liked Rucka's and Gail's Wonder Woman better.

I just have no motivation to get invested in the new 52 after the way DC just dumped the old stuff without any proper endings. The way they handled things told me they didn't care about their stories and characters and fans that were invested in them and I'm just left with this unsatisfied, hollow feeling when I think about DC comics.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Animal Man and Swamp Thing are both pretty good

Really? What do you find good about them? The intertwining story idea was promising for the first few issues, but since then there has been -nothing-. It's a 6 or 8 issue story that has dragged on for more than double that length, and since it's the same story in both titles, it feels even longer. There's no interesting development in either the characters or the plot. The whole thing feels like an excuse to draw grotesque Rot creatures.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I dropped the titles at 12 for that reason

That and other business going on at the same time

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »

So when people refer to the Death of Superman story line he's retconned into actually dying, as opposed to being in a coma?

It's not a war book. It's an in the past team book that features (among some others) Amanda Walker, Black Canary (and her husband), Grifter, and Deathstoke working for the government to curtail threats in the current superhuman 'arms race'. It gives both strong action and fills in backstory. And it's nice seeing heroes and anti-heroes/anti-villians that once worked together and shared a history.

I'm personally looking forward to when Steve Trevor joins the team. He's not in the book yet, but from the current timeline we know he becomes a member.

Whose Black Canary's husband?

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Mumble mumble old team7 was better.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    From what I understand, New 52 went back to the Golden Age Black Canary (Dinah Drake, who marries Larry Lance and gives birth to Dinah Laurel Lance who was the modern day Black Canary that had a relationship with Green Arrow and joined the Birds of Prey and all of that).

So yeah, all three of the prominent members of the pre-Flashpoint Birds of Prey no longer exist (well Barbara still exists, she was just apparently never Oracle). I'm not sure if Zinda exists anymore either, as I think I heard New 52 has a new Lady Blackhawk.

Lars on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Yeah I just loved how Helena Bertinelli was killed off-screen and how one of the books that got me into DC Comics(BOP) was completely erased and not allowed to even finish it's final arc.

People are excited for the upcoming JLA, right?
    I'm hyped to see Steve Trevor kicking even more ass.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Deleted.

Harry Dresden on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    glithert wrote: »

So when people refer to the Death of Superman story line he's retconned into actually dying, as opposed to being in a coma?

Whose Black Canary's husband?

Presumably its just easier to say he died.

Quire.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Azzarello's Wonder Woman isn't that different than the old Wonder Woman. In terms of personality, there's very little difference except the new 52 Diana is more naive and foolish. As for the gods, they change all the time based on the writer. Azzarello is just going with the old "Greek gods are a bunch of divine pricks, like the cast of the Jersey Shore with super powers" schtick.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    She didn't seem naive to me.

Justice League WW is though.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    How was the Blue Devil and Black Lightning thing in that one title a ways back? I don't remember the name of the title. I might like to pick it up if it was readable. I like both characters. Or at least, the previous incarnations of them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's okay, but nothing special. The chemistry between the characters is basically nonexistent, the threat is a generic mob boss, and the art is pretty good, for what it is.

The first two issues (DC Universe Presents #13 and #14) are marked down to $1.99, on Comixology.

Munch on
    Any DC title a month old is marked down.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    New Aquaman villain named Ice King, according to the solicits
    Adventure Time joke here

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Fuck, Working at DC if you are not a big name seems like it'd be the worse right now.

Jeff Lemire and Ray Fawkes are now writing Contantine instead of Robert Venditti
    Christy Marx is writing Birds of Prey instead of Jim Zub.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=43155

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Lemire writing more books? I am very okay with this.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am torn

Like that is super shitty for those writers

But Lemire on Constantine sounds amazing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    New Aquaman villain named Ice King, according to the solicits
    Adventure Time joke here

tweet.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Venditti is a good writer who deserves better than that

I really think DC needs to sort that whole area out

if they did the same thing before they didn't at least do it publically

makes them look like a bunch of amateurs next to Marvel

Solar wrote: »
    Venditti is a good writer who deserves better than that

I really think DC needs to sort that whole area out

if they did the same thing before they didn't at least do it publically

makes them look like a bunch of amateurs next to Marvel
    I agree. Vendetti is a talented writer who deserves better than being thrown off a book a few months before it launches.

I don't like Zub's writing but it still is super unprofessional to ditch him as well.

That said

man it is hard for me to resist a Constantine series by Lemire and Fawkes with Guedes on art.

CYpGAPn.png
    Also, proving that the dream of the 90s is alive at Portland DC, April will feature fucking fold-out gateway covers starring characters having SHOCKING EVENTS happen to them.

CYpGAPn.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

She didn't even know that her own people have a tradition of murdering sailors and selling off half their children. She never suspected that the story of her birth was a complete lie. That's pretty naive. She's just lucky that most of the gods are petulant children with wild mood swings.

edited January 2013
    I, Vampire is cancelled.

TRIPLE POST

OH MOTHERFUCKER

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular

She didn't even know that her own people have a tradition of murdering sailors and selling off half their children. She never suspected that the story of her birth was a complete lie. That's pretty naive. She's just lucky that most of the gods are petulant children with wild mood swings.

Well they are her family. Thats more trusting than naive. And besides, her life has had mythological beings and events as a daily fixture, her immaculate birth doesn't seem too out there.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also, proving that the dream of the 90s is alive at Portland DC, April will feature fucking fold-out gateway covers starring characters having SHOCKING EVENTS happen to them.

ha ha, holy crap

Bob Harras you magnificent idiot

This discussion has been closed.