As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Vertigo Thread

2»

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Lux wrote: »
    Big news, and I'm sure it will be good, but does anyone else feel like this is continuing the trend of the newly restructured DC Entertainment blowing their biggest loads? DC Reboot, More Watchmen, More Sandman ... it's like they're emptying the cartridge here.

pretty much, along with them pushing the Books of Magic into the DCU now with JL Dark. And the rumor that Jim Lee will reboot WildCATS after he finishes his Justice League run, it's a common thing.

I just really don't like prequels.

Books of Magic has (more or less) always been DCU, just that weird Vertigo-DCU fringe; Tims hangs out with Constantine a time or two, who has palled around with Swamp Thing, they all know Zatanna, and once in a while Supes/Bats/whatever shows up. I'm okay with Tim going mainstream I guess.

I'm just looking forward to all the forum posts calling him a Harry Potter rip-off.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Anyone here getting the Invisibles omnibus coming out this month? It's going for slightly less than a hundred right now on Amazon and you get the ENTIRE story in a 1500 page book.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Zyrxil wrote: »
    Huh, I thought Gaiman had said he considered Sandman finished and would never write more.

Only as an ongoing series. He was talking about telling this particular story way back in 2000 in the Sandman Companion (published in 2000); a great little book that's basically an extended interview.

He also mentions that he already knows Alianora's story (the first owner/ruler of A Game of You's "The Land"), so that's another possible mini-series right there.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought Saucer Country was a limited series?
    Yeah there was a few too many In jokes in JLD in the last two issues over the books of magic and/or the house of mystery

• Options
    edited September 2012
    The third American Vampire trade is out right now. At 17 bucks retail it's a fantastic deal since you get about 11 issues total in the volume.

Edit: And just to mention how fucked up collection pricing is right now, the second AV trade is 18 bucks retail with 6 issues total.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    What's everyones thoughts on the end of DMZ? Did it live up to expectations?
    I haven't read the last trade yet, as I'm waiting for volume 6 of The Unwritten to come out before I do a bulk purchase from book depository.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    A couple of new sci-fi series announced for next year:

k20Cv.jpg

Trillium: 10-issue series by Jeff Lemire.

vertigo-wave.jpg

The Wake: 12-issue series by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Trillium sounds interesting. The Wake, not so much.

These are much needed shots in the arm for Vertigo though.

And it seems the Unwritten is going to jump into the Fables universe at some point with Unwritten #50, which is just really cool. Fictional characters of one book talking to other characters in the "real" fictional world.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I figured it was a matter of time before that happened.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Unwritten- way too meta for my taste

Fables- just the right amount of meta

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Unwritten is exponentially better than Fables

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I actually haven't read Unwritten in some time. I assume it has gotten better?

Fables has been getting less interesting to me over time. So bored with the current storyline.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Really? I thought the Misfit Toys story was really good and channeled The Good Prince a bit.

And Fairest #7 just had one of the best retcons in recent history, where it doesn't change anything for the main book but adds that extra bit of knowledge about a certain character that lets other things click into place a lot better.

• Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    I can't stress just how much I loved both Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets (and how I miss them both!). If you haven't read them, and you like the other content that Vertigo has put out there, then I would strongly suggest that you're doing yourself a disservice by not buying up everything you find.

exmac.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    That Trillium cover looks off its head! I do like a good love story at the end of the world...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    So I hear the Fables Bigby Wolf spin-off hardcover ain't that good mostly due to art. May skip that.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I know 'm super late (16 years) but holy shit THE INVISIBLES

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Finally reading American Vampire volume 2 and man I forgot how great this series is. Volume 3 looks even better. Does volume 4 have a trade release date yet?