As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Debt Ceiling Debacle 2013: It's the End of the World As We Know It and the GOP Feels Fine

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013
    You know that guns and roses song "I Used to Love Her"? That song makes me think of the crazy GOP debt ceiling antics

The only party who loves America enough to destroy it

HELLO I LOVE YOU
    WON'T YOU BLOW UP MY HOUSE (to the tune of a doors song).

Vanguard on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Living in SF or NYC is a luxury, for the billionth time.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013

For people who move there yes

Not everyone gets a say in where they live

Vanguard on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

According to Wiki, the median income in NYC is 48.6k; the median income in the US is 50k. Certain parts of NY are expensive to live in; others are not. It may be difficult to move from one state or another but I find it hard to believe that there are a lot of people who are born on 6th Avenue, take low-paying jobs and can't figure out how to commute from the Lower East Side.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Oh man, the cost of living fallacy.

To think most of the last thread without getting tied up in that.

In short, no, there are very few places where 60k a year makes you poor. Unless you've got a dozen kids or a medical condition or something, you're going to be in the "comfortable" zone.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's possible to live in utter poverty while making $60k a year, my brother does it!

25% of his pay goes to bankruptcy, pays student loans, drives a truck that gets 7mpg, and recently moved even further away from work putting his monthly gas bill at ~$800 in addition to the monthly cigs and booze bill

also he spent $40,000 on a degree for his wife in graphic arts because its what she wanted despite having no aptitude or motivation to make anything of it. They lost their house with only $400 total remaining left on the mortage "because the house wasn't very good anyway", despite offers to help them pay for it but "nah I got it don't worry about it".

Blames all his problems on Obama, because he doesn't qualify for welfare and he knows people on food stamps (most recently, me) who live better than him, who can fill our fridges up and eat better than hot dogs and spaghetti. All Obama's fault, makin life so easy for the poorz

Edit: he spent over $300 per child on Christmas gifts this year, that's sure a good use of your bonus there, that'll make your kids love you

/bitter

override367 on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

In short, no, there are very few places where 60k a year makes you poor. Unless you've got a dozen kids or a medical condition or something, you're going to be in the "comfortable" zone.

And people are generally thinking of a total household income of X. So 60K for 2 adults + X children as opposed to 60K per adult.

edit: I know spool in particular does that every damn time

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's possible to live in utter poverty while making $60k a year, my brother does it!

25% of his pay goes to bankruptcy, pays student loans, drives a truck that gets 7mpg, and recently moved even further away from work putting his monthly gas bill at ~$800 in addition to the monthly cigs and booze bill

also he spent $40,000 on a degree for his wife in graphic arts because its what she wanted despite having no aptitude or motivation to make anything of it. They lost their house with only $400 total remaining left on the mortage "because the house wasn't very good anyway", despite offers to help them pay for it but "nah I got it don't worry about it".

Blames all his problems on Obama, because he doesn't qualify for welfare and he knows people on food stamps (most recently, me) who live better than him, who can fill our fridges up and eat better than hot dogs and spaghetti. All Obama's fault, makin life so easy for the poorz

Edit: he spent over $300 per child on Christmas gifts this year, that's sure a good use of your bonus there, that'll make your kids love you

/bitter

I haven't said it in this particular thread, but the usual phrase I add to that is "unless you're doing something wrong" and I wouldn't exactly call this "living in utter poverty".

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

And people are generally thinking of a total household income of X. So 60K for 2 adults + X children as opposed to 60K per adult.

edit: I know spool in particular does that every damn time

I mean, to be fair a family of four will not be sitting pretty, but unless they're terrible at finances they won't be facing homelessness and starvation either. It doesn't make them The Fancy Rich Oppressor, but nor does it make them Johnny Food Stamps.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1163586

Median income is a pretty silly metric when 21% of the pop are in poverty.

a family on 70000 in NYC easily qualifies for HDFC subsidized housing!

• Options
    edited January 2013

/bitter

I haven't said it in this particular thread, but the usual phrase I add to that is "unless you're doing something wrong" and I wouldn't exactly call this "living in utter poverty".

Well sure, but his children live about as well as I did under a single mom who was making $8/hour except they have xboxes. It makes political arguments especially stupefying.

override367 on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

/bitter

Well sure, but his children live about as well as I did under a single mom who was making $8/hour except they have xboxes. It makes political arguments especially stupefying.

Does he live in Waukesha or Janesville? I bet it's Waukesha

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Veevee wrote: »

/bitter

Belvidere Illinois

A pretty conservative town owned by General Mills

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @override367 Your story about your brother makes me think of that John Cheese article. "Well sure, I don't have a lot of money after I spend it."

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    well to be fair they take a pretty hefty sum out before he gets it, between health insurance and bankruptcy garnishment I think he's clearing like $550/week and they have to take care of 3 kids, one is blind one has cancer

the thing is, he thinks liberals want him to get a raw deal and conservatives want to help him, he fancies himself as the kind of guy republicans are "for". It's a huge problem in America

override367 on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

/bitter

Belvidere Illinois

Ahhh, yes. Belvidere. I've got a few horror stories about extended family from around there.

Just call your brother a FIB and end the conversation. That's about as far as it should go

• Options
    Either way I don't think anybody would suggest raising taxes on him. I'd be happy to put the upper limit on the middle class bracket(s) at 150k (or three times the median household income going forward).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1163586

Median income is a pretty silly metric when 21% of the pop are in poverty.

a family on 70000 in NYC easily qualifies for HDFC subsidized housing!

Not "easily." You only qualify at that income if you have 5+ members of your household. And HDFC is not Section 8 housing (which has lower limits), its distressed housing that is transferred to developers by the city in order to sell to individuals or more commonly co-ops specifically for low income individuals at rates they can afford as their primary residence.

Its basically organized gentrification without pricing out the current residents. Its a pretty good program from everything I've heard and not one that has cost the city much at all.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Because commuting is not an option. Apparently.

Also, to my knowledge pretty much every adult gets a say in where they live. I mean, there are a few corner cases (sex offenders who are barred by expansive restrictions, or active military who receive generous housing allowances) but for the most part you choose your own adventure.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You only save 30 cents on the dollar (on average) for moving further away because of gas. So it's not a super great option in terms of cash, though it does help.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Not going to step into the "what is middle class debate." Would have been nice if taxes got raised on single people making more than 250K a year, but we came pretty damn close to hitting the revenue level that would have achieve with taxes going up on people making 400k a year. As someone said it the last thread baby steps, we manage to get taxes up on the greedy fuckers that didn't want to pull their weight and that's a huge improvemnt IMO. Even if we need pt push for some more tax hikes a on a few things. We also have a few less things for Congress to dick around with every year because those things are now indexed with inflation.

Rather than focusing on what is middle class, I think the debate should shift back to how to do we educate people on what their responsiblity is to society. Nothing is free and to keep society running, we need to fund things and that means people need to pay taxes. Taxes aren't the government stealing your money, they are a necessary action so that the government can fulfill its obligations. We also need to educate the public that most of the entitlement stuff isn't handouts, like conservatives want everyone to believe. As for the few things that are entitlement spending, we need to beat it into people's heads that having people dying on the streets and so desparate for basic necessities will not save them one fucking penny, it'll create a host of issues that will fuck them over.

Anyways back to the debt ceiling.
    In recent days, U.S. Chamber of Commerce officials repeatedly have warned that leading the government to a default on its debt could result in serious economic disruptions.

Meanwhile, John Engler, the head of the Business Roundtable, a trade group of company chief executives, has recently called for a five-year increase in the debt limit, divorcing it from the spending debate.

This is another reason why I believe Obama won't fold and why we probably won't have a default. I suspect a sizable chunk of the business community, that isn't entralled to randian bullshit, will tell the GOP they'll cut this shit out or they'll have a good chunk of the financial support disappearing and backing opponents that don't buy into idealogy that encourages blowing up the world economy to score points.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Because he's been mentioned and I'm from Michigan: fuck John Engler!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    What does Heritage think about the debt ceiling?
    Very simply, reaching the debt limit means spending is limited by revenue arriving at the Treasury and is guided by prioritization among the government’s obligations. How the government would decide to meet these obligations under the circumstances is a matter of some conjecture. Certainly, vast inflows of federal tax receipts—inflows that far exceed amounts needed to pay monthly interest costs on debt—would continue. Thus, the government would never be forced to default on its debt because of a lack of income.

As a matter of timing, this happens to be false, but it's interesting to observe the confidence here.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Also, to my knowledge pretty much every adult gets a say in where they live. I mean, there are a few corner cases (sex offenders who are barred by expansive restrictions, or active military who receive generous housing allowances) but for the most part you choose your own adventure.

NYC has some of the widest income disparities in the country.

Why don't you take a trip to the poorest parts of the city and tell them that they live in squalor because they choose to.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Very simply, reaching the debt limit means spending is limited by revenue arriving at the Treasury and is guided by prioritization among the government’s obligations. How the government would decide to meet these obligations under the circumstances is a matter of some conjecture. Certainly, vast inflows of federal tax receipts—inflows that far exceed amounts needed to pay monthly interest costs on debt—would continue. Thus, the government would never be forced to default on its debt because of a lack of income.

As a matter of timing, this happens to be false, but it's interesting to observe the confidence here.

I certainly don't agree with the Heritage foundation, but if we engaged in a temporary government shutdown and thereby conserved what money we have for a period, couldn't we a tidally make this work? Remember, the government is collecting income taxes withheld by companies for their employees all the time, and is also seeing quarterly estimated taxes from successful self employed individuals.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why the argument is over people making $60,000-$70,000 per year when the line, at its lowest, has always been $250,000?

Is this what you might call wasted energy? Pissing up a rope?

Absolutely no one is trying to make taxes higher on people making $60k-$70k. Whether or not that's the upper bound of poor has absolutely nothing to do with a) the tax discussion, b) the spending discussion, or c) the fucking Debt Ceiling.

Now, there are assholes wanting to make taxes higher on people making $20,000, but that's a different story.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

I certainly don't agree with the Heritage foundation, but if we engaged in a temporary government shutdown and thereby conserved what money we have for a period, couldn't we a tidally make this work? Remember, the government is collecting income taxes withheld by companies for their employees all the time, and is also seeing quarterly estimated taxes from successful self employed individuals.

I suspect that the specific areas of government that Heritage wants to be shut down are rather predictable, and they'd be quick to complain if certain other areas got shut down instead.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why the argument is over people making $60,000-$70,000 per year when the line, at its lowest, has always been $250,000?

Absolutely no one is trying to make taxes higher on people making $60k-$70k. Whether or not that's the upper bound of poor has absolutely nothing to do with a) the tax discussion, b) the spending discussion, or c) the fucking Debt Ceiling.

Now, there are assholes wanting to make taxes higher on people making $20,000, but that's a different story.

This discussion is highly relevant to the debt ceiling, actually, since revenue from taxes and entitlement spending both determine how much debt we actually need to run our government.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

I suspect that the specific areas of government that Heritage wants to be shut down are rather predictable, and they'd be quick to complain if certain other areas got shut down instead.

Look, how am I going to pay for all these useless fighter jets when I have to dole out Social Security and Medicare payments?

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

This discussion is highly relevant to the debt ceiling, actually, since revenue from taxes and entitlement spending both determine how much debt we actually need to run our government.

It's not relevant if no one is proposing it, talking about, or even brave enough to appear to be considering it.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

What do you think is a reasonable mortgage for a middle class dual income family of $60000?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    there's nothing we could stop paying that's large enough and wouldn't get the government sued forcing a default anyway

furthermore as the pie plates start crashing the market will flip the fuck out

override367 on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

What do you think is a reasonable mortgage for a middle class dual income family of $60000?

Assuming two kids, about $1,100 should be your limit on the mortgage. But the mortgage is just how you finance the house. I prefer to focus on how much you should spend on a house. Rule of thumb: no more than 2.5 times gross annual income. This family should try to keep it south of a $150K house. So if they live in an expensive area, they should rent instead of buy.

enc0re on
  • Options

Heritage is full of crap,basically.

Because sure, we could keep paying our debt down. But I hope military service members don't need to eat or pay rent or your grandma doesn't need any medical treatments and that there aren't any major natural disasters that parts of the country need to rebuild from.

What Heritage wants us to think is that a shutdown/hitting the debt ceiling would mean Those Darn Bureaucrats wouldn't get their leech pay and that Ma and Pa Welfare Queen would have to start bootstrapping.

But of course the real truth is that heritage doesn't actually want a shutdown, they just want to get their donors all hot and bothered about it so they can grift some more people.

American conservatism is a goddamn ponzi scheme.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Owning a home makes you upper class. Don't you know the middle class live in their cars?

• Options
    there's nothing we could stop paying that's large enough and wouldn't get the government sued forcing a default anyway

I don't follow. I don't know the size of our monthly debt service costs, but surely they are far less than the overall cost of operating the government.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Because sure, we could keep paying our debt down. But I hope military service members don't need to eat or pay rent or your grandma doesn't need any medical treatments and that there aren't any major natural disasters that parts of the country need to rebuild from.

What Heritage wants us to think is that a shutdown/hitting the debt ceiling would mean Those Darn Bureaucrats wouldn't get their leech pay and that Ma and Pa Welfare Queen would have to start bootstrapping.

But of course the real truth is that heritage doesn't actually want a shutdown, they just want to get their donors all hot and bothered about it so they can grift some more people.

I swear, if spacekungfuman had absolutely anything to gain by influencing the people who specifically read this thread, I would be convinced that he was some sort of hyper manipulative neo-conservative plant. Always with the "Well gee guys, if you look at it from this point of view that I know about as a super rich guy, you can see that maybe this thing that you know is bullshit won't really be bullshit! Oh but I totally think its bullshit too, I'm just gonna only explain why its not, and then say that I agree with you." I guess I should appreciate the unique perspective, but I always feel like he's trying to convince me of something that he immediately then says he doesn't himself believe.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I don't follow. I don't know the size of our monthly debt service costs, but surely they are far less than the overall cost of operating the government.

Depends on the type of debt.

There's almost certainly a lot of pending bills for work which was started under the congressional budget. The US government can't exactly buy X million units of MREs, then go "yeah um, we don't need them anymore, can you take them back?"

I suspect it would be very difficult to actually determine how much outlying liability the US government has coming in compared to revenues at any given instant in time. It might be less then receipts but that uncertainty itself would be a disaster to have called into question.

On top of, of course, the sudden cessation of every service in the government and massive unemployment from all the private contractors who suddenly have lost their biggest - possibly only significant - client.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

/bitter

Belvidere Illinois

Wait what? On 60K I could live like a king in Belvidere! My wife is from Rockford and has family in Belividere. What I pay for my 3 bedroom townhouse in Algonquin, I could have a mansion in Belvidere!
    they have to take care of 3 kids, one is blind one has cancer

:( Nevermind, if I had issues like that I would probably be a financial and emotional mess and hate Obama too. Judgement is taken back. :

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

The thing that's killing me is the people who say Obama is a dictator are saying we should give him dictatorial powers. If the executive can go through the budget line by line and decide which bills to pay and which to ignore how is congress even relevant anymore?