As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Could I get an opinion or so for my Game Dev Course?

Omega TenguOmega Tengu Registered User new member
Hello, I'm new to the Forums so I hope this doesn't break any rules, BUUUUUUT..... I need some opinions on a game idea so that I can use the response for my course and anyone giving an opinion would be very appreciated. So, here goes...

After the year 2013, an outbreak of a virus called Violet Vain plagues the city of Olympia causing mutation. The player is The Survivor, one of the last people alive in the now quarantined city. The game starts Two Years after the start of the infection after the city has fallen. The enemies are the infected denizens of Olympia now known as Tyrians of which have many forms of which have their own names. The game will be played in an isometric view so that people can see and hide in the environment. The game is (Obviously) Horror, the player is not expected to fight, but to run and hide. The game will have a high PEGI rating due to the nature of horror games. The game will be single-player as having it multi-player would destroy the “uniqueness” of the Protagonist. The game will be PC only.

what are your thoughts on this, and Is there anything else you think I should include?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I think you should include: something about how your game is at all different from the billion other survival horror zombie games that already exist, something about what your target audience is and why in the world they would want to play this seemingly horribly derivative game, and well... something about plot and character motivation would be nice.

You have a sole survivor, not dying isn't really enough to drive a story along. It's been two, oddly capitalized, years, so he's not getting out any time soon. He's unique, so it's not like badasses can come kidnap his girlfriend, or whatever. There's several billion people left in the rest of the world, so it's not as though it maters if he lives or dies. In short, you should include something about why I should give the slightest fuck about him.

The player is The Survivor, one of the last people alive in the now quarantined city.
    The game starts Two Years after the start of the infection after the city has fallen.
    The enemies are the infected denizens of Olympia now known as Tyrians of which have many forms of which have their own names.
    The game will be played in an isometric view so that people can see and hide in the environment.
    The game is (Obviously) Horror, [comma splices do not count]
    the player is not expected to fight, but to run and hide.
    The game will have a high PEGI rating due to the nature of horror games.
    The game will be single-player as having it multi-player would destroy the “uniqueness” of the Protagonist.
    The game will be PC only.

Your instructor, and anyone else forced to read this, would probably enjoy the inclusion of some variance in sentence structure. It's kinda forgivable if you aren't a native speaker, however it is still eye-gougingly poor writing.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Is there some kind of aim/goal in this game - escape the city, destroy the virus etc - or is it just to survive as long as possible each round?

Clown Shoes on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Single-player survival horror has kind of been done to death. The problem with convincing the player they're alone is...well you're usually alone when playing games anyway.

The greatest thing which has happened lately in gaming has been the uptick of highly populous story worlds, or multiplayer survival-horror - Left4Dead's whole appeal is being part of a team. That mod for ARMA which I can't recall the name of's whole appeal is that they've added the "surviving humans are the most dangerous part of zombie attacks" dynamic.

You know I kind of feel like I'd like to see a different take on the whole zombie thing - instead of being "a suitable time in the future" - have it play out from T-zero and try and model the chaos which leads to the downfall. A game which basically modelled the dynamics of trying to move around in riots would be pretty amazing since they're entirely non-obvious yet everybody thinks they'd know exactly what to do.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Not everyone knows what to do

I mean, I do, get a posse and go rob the nearest "doomsday prepper" couple who helpfully indicated their location on television

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd say discuss in greater detail the mechanics of the game. What makes your game different? The premise itself doesn't really set it apart from the many other zombie games out there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I'm sorry, OP, but the PA forums are not here to help you make your video game or to do your coursework for you.

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.