As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Yes, but SiSi is currently closed to non-dusters. Soon(tm) they will open it up so we can join eve corps on sisi. That is if sisi is the test servers... I am too lazy to check and too out of the loop as to my eve lingo.

• Options
    RosencrantzRosencrantz Registered User regular
    Ah ha! Here's what I was thinking of. http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73382

That was back from September. I don't think we've hit the point where EvE and Dust players are both on SiSi, but we're probably pretty close.

• Options
    Alright, I have created Obsidian Spur in game, ticket OBSP. If anyone wants in, send an application.

• Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    I just watched the "Way of the Mercenary" video on IGN via the latest EvE Online newsletter (vol 82) and it completely renewed my enthusiasm for this game. I used to be part of Merch Industrial several years ago (name was also Saint Justice) but I haven't subscribed to EvE since then. I look forward to being a bad-ass mercenary in the service of my fellow PA'ers!

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    I'm having the damnedest time downloading this game. It requires a 2.5GB download, and then another 2.6GB update after you install it. But I always get corrupted data and it can't install the update, therefore making me download all 5GB again.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I got it running. Game's pretty, but buggy. Can you even run?

Also, I hope I'm not the only one expecting this means CCP can get back to WoD.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Well due to the NDA I'll put it this way. If I had anything to say it wouldn't be very positive right now.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Yeah, its very interesting that the game has been in closed beta for coming on 6 months now. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to release right about now.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's been notoriously in production hell. They've reduced WoD to a skeleton crew because of it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, that and the Eve players sort of revolted for having to pay for the development of both at the expense of development of Eve.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I dropped it after the current build came out.
    It took like two steps forward and then a hundred steps backward, then fell off a cliff into an erupting volcano.
    and it's not a matter of bugs or coding. it's a matter of very, very poorly thought out design decisions. Some of which are likely to get changed/dropped by the time it releases I think/hope.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Played a bit last night - standard sort of FPS stuff, although in typical EvE fashion, not particularly well explained on the battlefield (although character stuff is covered quite well).

It's made a jump from when I first tried it some while back when the beta first appeared on PS3, but clearly not completely polished yet.

I am a bit concerened about newbies being overwhelmed by older players though....

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    Open beta starts on the 22nd of this month, I guess.

If you're reading this, I would urge you to try out the game for a while before spending money on it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Can you go into a bit more detail, Sok? I was looking at picking up the open Beta and playing it when it came out, and I'd like to know a bit more about what to expect.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Can you go into a bit more detail, Sok? I was looking at picking up the open Beta and playing it when it came out, and I'd like to know a bit more about what to expect.

It's still under NDA, sorry. All I can say is that your enjoyment will hinge at first on how much you like playing FPSes with the PS3 controller.

a5ehren on
  • Options

Expect to be deeply disappointed.

but give it a try anyway.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

It's still under NDA, sorry. All I can say is that your enjoyment will hinge at first on how much you like playing FPSes with the PS3 controller.

Or a USB Keyboard and Mouse?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    V1m wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

Or a USB Keyboard and Mouse?

My situation isn't really compatible with that.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I tried it. But I couldn't do well with the FPS stuff on a PS3 controller. I also have trouble with stuff like Mass Effect on PS3.

Things like Uncharted work fine (though that isn't really an FPS?) for me though so...I dunno. Maybe I just need to tweak some settings.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun playing MAG back in the day with the PA crew; that, and the fact that PlanetSide 2 is turning out to be quite a bit of fun, is really why I was interested in this.

• Options
    Talk to me about it next time you're on in PS2 if you want?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Again, I really don't understand why this isn't on PC. I guess to prevent multiboxing EVE and Dust at the same time...? Or at least, not quite so easily? I guess?

Because you know there are going to be those guys who will be calling down orbital strikes with their own spaceships no matter what you do.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    Because by being exclusive with PS3, Sony helped provide developmental resources to a company that had never developed anything remotely like an FPS.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Because it's a micro-transaction oriented business model, and PC players are a bit less willing in general to spend real money on fake money.
    Especially if the game is mediocre.

The weirdest thing about Dust is that it's actually rather addictive.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think it will eventually get a PC version. But they probably wanted to break into a broader audience. Since PS3 has some precedent with more involved FPS games like MAG, allows you to freely update via PSN, and provides KBM support. (XBL would require them to pay for every update, and doesn't allow free DLC)

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Because it's a micro-transaction oriented business model, and PC players are a bit less willing in general to spend real money on fake money.

Mediocre gameplay but weirdly addictive?

Yep, sounds like a CCP game all right.

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    It's pretty much a CCP game through and through. I'm willing to bet that most people will feel the same way about Dust as they do about Eve

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Eve has outperformed and outlasted virtually all its peers....

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    I'm not saying Eve is a bad game. But I think it's fair to say that Eve appeals to a very specific audience. It isn't the most wildly successful MMO, but it seems to have a strong hardcore following.

A lot of that is typically someone either loves Eve, or just doesn't get it. My guess would be that's because Eve has a really cool premise, but it takes wading through a lot of dry gameplay (which most people probably don't have the patience for) to get involved in that premise.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    It's not wildly successful insofar as it's not WoW. But then, neither is any other MMO that isn't WoW. WoW is an outlier, a one-off, and I doubt we'll ever see a subscription MMO with more than 10% of wow's peak subs ever again.

Out of a field of god knows how many non-WoW MMOs, EVE is something like the 3rd or 4th biggest subscription MMO, and more importantly it has been for years and years. That sustained performance is something that most MMO publishers would kill for. I'm looking at you, SWTOR...

Yes, Dust is a "niche" performer in the console world, just as EVE is a "niche" game in the MMO world. But if you stake out your niche, don't compromise on your adherence to it and keep on providing something to look forward to, a "niche" game publisher can do very nicely thank you.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Mediocre gameplay but weirdly addictive?

Yep, sounds like a CCP game all right.

It is important to remember that the game is far from complete as it currently stands. There remains many features to be implemented in the near future.

Also, if they develop it anything like Eve, the game will continue to grow and become even more enjoyable as new things are added. Eve in its inital form was not that great, but grew to be an amazing game.

• Options
    Sometimes, though... it's really good.
    A lot depends on your team. If kids want to run around and pretend it's cowadootie, Dust can get frustrating in a hurry. But sometimes you get two teams that exhibit a modicum of common sense and you get to see a bit of what this game could really be...

• Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    Dust514 is a team game, if your team is crap, no matter how good your squad is your doomed.

also now that the NDA is gone I can link this www.dust514stats.com

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    PhytoplanktonPhytoplankton Registered User regular
    I'm planning on starting to play this a bit over the next couple of days. I play EVE in a small corp with some friends, and I don't think any of them play Dust514 or are planning to.

Is there a good reason not to join my EVE corp in Dust514 simply for communication purposes? I'm not really clear on how the worlds interact. I read this blog post but it doesn't provide many details past "this is a thing you can do."

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Has there been any official word on CCP improving performance? It runs...poorly :(.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    "it's a beta" nicely summarizes everything we officially hear from the official officials.

As for the question of whether they're going to ditch the engine and re-code it from scratch... I wouldn't hold my breath.

You get used to it. Just do what I do and roll your eyes a lot.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    It's been a bit more stable since the transfer to tranquility, at least for me.

moreover, the beta has officially opened up! if anybody still needs in, this is my recruiter link. it adds another step to your startup process, but we should both get some free stuff out of it so enjoy.

• Options
    BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    double post, apparently... sorry

Buzzwords on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @Vorpal

Keyboard and mouse works great. I am going to try connecting my ps3 to my computer monitor on my desk just to give it a shot with my good mouse/keyboard on a good mouse surface.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SilkSilk Registered User regular
    So is there a Penny-arcade corp up and running for Dust514?