As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flight Discussion Thread

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    By the way, I own this carry-on bag and I love it. There are better carry-ons, certainly, but they'll also run into the $200 range. This fits my girl's 17" macbook, by the way. It's actually more difficult to get my 15.6" sager in there because of the size of the power brick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041JU4YI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    Just bought my plane ticket, got it $30 cheapers than I paid last year. $236 round trip for Orlando, FL. Not bad.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I've been pretty pleased so far with ticket prices. Got JetBlue round trip from PIT at $160 (last year it was $120 but still not bad).

• N13N13 Registered User regular
    Slyx wrote: »
    You'll eventually make it to the scanners. Anything you're bringing on the plane has to go through the x-ray. Any liquids like shampoo will probably need to be removed from your bag and go through separately so remember to pack them last.

Put small things--your liquid containers, your pocket contents, etc.--in Ziploc bags. It's easier to pull out a few bags than empty your pockets, and to grab the bags than stuff it all back in while trying to put on your shoes.
    Slyx wrote: »
    You'll probably need to remove your shoes and any sweatshirts or jackets as well. You'll go through a body scanner (these are different at every airport) at the same time as your luggage goes through the x-ray, then you'll meet up with your stuff on the other side. Make sure to keep your ID and boarding pass with you at all times.

You are, I think, allowed to decline the backscatter ("nude") scanners. The alternative is a pat-down. The last I read was that the TSA was moving these to smaller airports, since they're basically expensive, potentially-harmful, oft-abused security-theater props.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    If you want security to go fast:
    ID & ticket in your hand.
    I take my belt, keys, wallet, change, and phone, and zip it in my coat pockets way before I get to the scanners/pat down...fold the coat up and put that in my bag, or on the scanner tray w/ my shoes.
    Liquids sorted in a ziploc bag in their 1oz bottles. (put in tray)
    Shoes off (usually in tray with liquids)
    Laptop out of bag, put in tray (has to scan by itself)
    I generally put all my cords and chargers and headphones in their own baggie and leave them in the backpack...that way if TSA wants to see 'em or see inside your bag, they can get them out and back in without untangling a mess.

So basically it's you and your ticket walking through the scanner w/ no metal on you...and 2 trays and your bag going thru the bag scanner...meet on the other side.

you guys know you're responding to posts from october right? Still good tips... just... you know... October ;)

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    What's a good way to get cheap tickets? I feel like 450 round trip from Detroit to Boston is a bit much considering it's a 2 hour flight..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    edited January 2013
    adjusting the days you fly is usually the easiest way to change the price

Detroit also isn't really a destination, which probably hurts the competitive nature of the pricing.

zerzhul on
    edited January 2013
    Some $350s in this search.

Southwest also looks like around $350.

But you could always try driving to another airport, but that of course adds in the parking cost, etc.

zerzhul on
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    What's a good way to get cheap tickets? I feel like 450 round trip from Detroit to Boston is a bit much considering it's a 2 hour flight..

I'm flying out of Chicago and it is $220 for me. Hope you find someone cheaper. Might have something to do with what day you are flying out as well.

Josh5890 on
    This space for rent
    cleveland looks like it's around $250-270

Guess detroit is just the odd man out.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I've found one that is 1,036 for all three of us to fly. Not too bad, not too good.

EDIT: Also, is the Boston Airport open 24 hours a day?

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    For those that have alot of experience flying, how strict are they on carry-on baggage? I have a bag that is approx. 18 by 11 by 10 and 23 by 14 by 9. The carry on limit is 22 by 14 by 9, Will either of these be ok? I'm really trying to avoid checked baggage.

This space for rent
  • KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    For those that have alot of experience flying, how strict are they on carry-on baggage? I have a bag that is approx. 18 by 11 by 10 and 23 by 14 by 9. The carry on limit is 22 by 14 by 9, Will either of these be ok? I'm really trying to avoid checked baggage.

I'm not quite sure how tall the overheads are (despite flying on all sorts of planes), but assuming the 11 and 14 are the heights, you should be fine with putting those in the overhead. I usually stick my messenger upright in the overhead and it's 12" high but there's plenty of room to spare.

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
    edited January 2013
    It varies a little by airline, but the first is probably OK, as long as the "total linear inches" is less than 44. Whether or not it will actually fit, though, is always a gamble. You might check if your flight will allow you to "gate check" your carry-on. They take it at the gate and put it in storage, but you're not charged a "checked bag" fee, because it's considered your carry-on. It's not as slow as checked to get it back, either, but allow some time (especially between connections).

Edit: I'd add that I find it easier to finesse a bag into the overhead when it's not one of those hard, square bags, with the handles and wheels. I use a regular ol' duffle. Of course, if you have something you don't want bent or crushed, you might prefer the harder luggage.

N13 on

Unless you're on a small regional aircraft, you should be okay with either bag. Remember, you can always "gate check" your bag for free as long as you take it past security with travel size items. Once you gate check, you're typically given your bag back in the tunnel after you exit the aircraft.

Lots of people bring HUGE carry ons, way larger than the actual allowable size. It's rarely an issue.

By the way, all of those $200ish flights are dirt cheap. I rarely get a direct flight for less than $300, and I fly weekly.

Huzzah! The backscatter scanners have been nixed, though maybe not by March. More at Wired.

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Axon wrote: »
    By the way, I own this carry-on bag and I love it. There are better carry-ons, certainly, but they'll also run into the $200 range. This fits my girl's 17" macbook, by the way. It's actually more difficult to get my 15.6" sager in there because of the size of the power brick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041JU4YI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Been looking for a good carry-on after wrestling with checking a bag for the past two years. How is the clothing storage on this one? I usually don't bring more than a pair or two of jeans, some t-shirts and such. Supposing that I pack light, is there enough room to pack for a 5-night stay?

Angrypasta wrote: »
    Been looking for a good carry-on after wrestling with checking a bag for the past two years. How is the clothing storage on this one? I usually don't bring more than a pair or two of jeans, some t-shirts and such. Supposing that I pack light, is there enough room to pack for a 5-night stay?

You may have already purchased, but I can get dress clothes, workout clothes and a pair of sneakers in there for short flights. Two jeans, underwear, socks and a few tshirts should be fine. It's an 18" bag, so the more creative you are, the better off.

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Axon wrote: »
    You may have already purchased, but I can get dress clothes, workout clothes and a pair of sneakers in there for short flights. Two jeans, underwear, socks and a few tshirts should be fine. It's an 18" bag, so the more creative you are, the better off.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Well I finally forced my self to purchase my ticket.$160 round trip via Southwest Airlines from Chicago. The catch is my flight to Boston takes off at 7:00 am CST. At least it should give me a half day to do some sight seeing.

This space for rent
  • ifra88ifra88 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hello everyone, first time going to PAX East for my bf and I, anyone flying Toronto to Boston on porter?

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Finally booked mine last week....Newark, NJ to BOS 152.00 round trip

• digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    374, but that was from Phoenix.

It's worth it, though. Although I leave at 7:45am, and arrive around 6pm due to a nice 2hr layover in Washington-Dulles, and the time zone change.

Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    ifra88 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, first time going to PAX East for my bf and I, anyone flying Toronto to Boston on porter?

Draklan and I are , we find it a much nicer trip then flying out of Pearson

• ifra88ifra88 CanadaRegistered User regular

First time for my bf and I going out with porter, we've usually travel through pearson. When are you guys flying out? Were on the 7:00am flight on Thurs and return on the 5:20pm on the Monday.

Should we believe the TSA furlow warnings because of the sequester? Has anyone noticed any increase in screening times (yet)?

N13 wrote: »
    Should we believe the TSA furlow warnings because of the sequester? Has anyone noticed any increase in screening times (yet)?

From what I've read, major airports won't be affected until April. TSA is a union and their employees are required a 30 day notice before furlows begin. We should be good but who knows.

This space for rent
  • digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    I'm glad my flight is at 745am. Normally flights before 10am at PHX are near no line (crosses fingers.).

Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Any suggestions on the best way to pack board games?

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    Any suggestions on the best way to pack board games?

Personally I would take the stuff out of the original box and put it in a shoebox or something of that nature that I don't mind getting damaged (assuming all the boards and pieces would fit). I have successfully packed board games at the center of clothing as well, managing to remember to keep the board game box absolutely full so it cannot be crumpled, and using clothing all around it as padding.

• TwiminyTwiminy Registered User regular
    Would I need to take stuff like a 3DS or Kindle out of my bag at the security checkpoint at the airport, like you're supposed to do with laptops? What about accessories like chargers?

• OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Twiminy wrote: »
    Would I need to take stuff like a 3DS or Kindle out of my bag at the security checkpoint at the airport, like you're supposed to do with laptops? What about accessories like chargers?
    All of that stuff can be kept in your carry on/personal bag, as far as I know. I had my tablet in my bag for the flight to Prime last year and I remember keeping it in my backpack.

OysterPrime on
    PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I have never had to take my Kindle or DSes (of any model) out of my carry one.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    Anybody flying in worried about the winter storm hitting the east coast on Tuesday?

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
    Eh, it will either cause problems or it won't. Not much we can do about it.

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular

First time for my bf and I going out with porter, we've usually travel through pearson. When are you guys flying out? Were on the 7:00am flight on Thurs and return on the 5:20pm on the Monday.

We're on the flight behind you Thursday and before you on Monday , the only issue with such an early morning flight is the possibility of your room not being ready for you that early in the morning. Most hotels do allow you lock up your luggage until your room is ready. Also grab yourself a Charlie Card from the station and toss $20 on it to get your started. Depending on how close to the con you are staying Charlie may be your new best friend.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular

We're on the flight behind you Thursday and before you on Monday , the only issue with such an early morning flight is the possibility of your room not being ready for you that early in the morning. Most hotels do allow you lock up your luggage until your room is ready. Also grab yourself a Charlie Card from the station and toss $20 on it to get your started. Depending on how close to the con you are staying Charlie may be your new best friend.

Save the money get a 7 day unlimited Charlie card... $ 17.00

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Air Canada
    about an hour ago
    Travel Alert:
    -March 18, Toronto (YYZ and YTZ)
    -March 19, Montreal (YUL), Ottawa (YOW) and Boston (BOS) Change fees waived. Details, Flight Status and rebook online at http://aircanada.com/.

Everyone keep a close eye on those flight statuses. Things seem to be getting nasty in the east.

Yet there's not flight warnings for the west...hrm....

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth