As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Planetside 2]: Lasers for the laser god.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »

Liberator balance changes in tomorrow's patch, and maybe jumpjet fix (please, let it be so).

Wait.

Is he talking about the nonfunctional jump jets glitch, or the rumor that jump jet upgrades past rank two don't actually do anything?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    SMGs on the infiltrator may cause that class to massively cut into my Engineer time.
    agreed. the class might actually infiltrate now without using the meh~ artemis

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Mehtemis.

That gun has a new name.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I prefer Artimeh

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I wish they'd post the notes for these hotfixes earlier

it's one thing if it's like "fixed an exploit" or "optimized some bullshit." I wanna read about gameplay changes!

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The only thing that's really tough to tell apart with VS/NC are the little icons for equipment terminals and generators and such, and they aren't really a big deal. Every once in a while I'll shoot a terminal that's been hacked friendly, but meh.

I've found they're easier to identify if you look at their "screen". The NC one is noticeably yellow.

• Options
    The tiny horseshoe shaped icons for ancillary outposts usually throw me for a loop unless I stop and stare at them.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I think my problem is just poor perception skills overall. That's why I like things like the NV scopes; they make things easier to see.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The changes to AA against infantry definitely helped. Before it seemed like tickling them, now you're an actual threat.

Interested in the lib changes and SMGs, now..

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    As far as SMG's go...seems like it would really only help infiltrators.

LA, at least TR LA, have shit tons of good close range combat weapons - about 6 carbines and then several shotguns. NC and VS also have at least one good short range carbine, and of course, shot guns.

What I really want on my TR LA is a good 'long range' carbine. I can pull stuff off with my NC Mercenary and VS Solstice that none of the TR carbines can replicate.

It is possible that SMG's on HA's could be a thing...at least if your main weapon sucks (like NC!)
    Enig wrote: »

Liberator balance changes in tomorrow's patch, and maybe jumpjet fix (please, let it be so).

Yes please god. Nothing in this game makes me want to log off as quick as spawning as an LA without my class defining ability.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    I am interested in what the SMG's will bring. I have been finding myself playing Infiltrator more as it is a wonderful class to lone wolf it when other PA folks aren't online.

Plus I wanted to try out the Ghost bolt-action that I got when the Infantry starter pack was on sale. Sadly, it is garbage as it doesn't have a scope more than 4x, which seems completely pointless to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    If infiltrators could fly I would never play anything else.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    infiltrators need a one hit kill for their knives.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Plus I wanted to try out the Ghost bolt-action that I got when the Infantry starter pack was on sale. Sadly, it is garbage as it doesn't have a scope more than 4x, which seems completely pointless to me.

Yeah, I was thoroughly disappointed with the ghost from the infantry pack. At 4x range, a bolt action rifle is completely pointless.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »

Swords!

I'd be fine with a longer wind-up OHK melee weapon for Infiltrators. For now, I'll stick with double tapping someone in the back with my suppressed pistol and knifing them after.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I am interested in what the SMG's will bring. I have been finding myself playing Infiltrator more as it is a wonderful class to lone wolf it when other PA folks aren't online.

Yeah, I hope they're a solid option to use.

I used the Suppressor all the time in PS1. Had it in most of my loadouts. Easily my favorite in the game.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »

You know what this game doesn't need at all? One hit kill melee.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Since the topic of melee is on the table...how about a bayonet attachment that does melee damage based on your movement speed at the cost of some decreased accuracy and increased weapon equip time?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Since the topic of melee is on the table...how about a bayonet attachment that does melee damage based on your movement speed at the cost of some decreased accuracy and increased weapon equip time?

That would be cool, but balancing it for fall speed could be a pain. Especially with light assaults. They'd give new meaning to 'death from above' and if players could just jump off of towers and buildings, and instagib enemies below it could be a problem.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

That would be cool, but balancing it for fall speed could be a pain. Especially with light assaults. They'd give new meaning to 'death from above' and if players could just jump off of towers and buildings, and instagib enemies below it could be a problem.

I changed my mind. This can be a one hit kill if the game automatically records video and posts it to an ever-expanding montage on youtube.

Set to Yackety-Sax of course.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I feel that if player A gets right up behind player B, close enough to melee, they might as well allow 1 hit kills from melee. Because face it, player B is fucked regardless of whether melee or any other weapon was used.

Give it a satisfying take down like in Battlefield 3.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    One hit kill melees are awesome. Balance it by being a backstab or if you have ever played planetside 1 like the chainknives.

Rev that shit up.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Balance it by "NC has to make their knife slightly hum, TR has to make theirs roar like a chainsaw, VS has to make theirs roar like a chainsaw and also glow like a motherfucker even through cloak"?

I was always amused at how fucked that knife alt-fire thing was, for something that shouldn't be that difficult to balance.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The hard-coded culling should definitely be addressed before we get a one hit kill melee option.

Huge knife and grenade fights between players that randomly pop in and out would only be fun for a little while...

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Infiltrators with one hit backstabs would be great. If someone can sneak up on you like that they deserve to have your head.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    No it wouldn't. One hit kill melee is always terrible in these kinds of games.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Why?

Also I can't think of any other game like this that has backstabbing. I'm not advocating for Battlefield or COD knife kills.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it seems more likely to be frustrating (for everybody involved) than for anybody else

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    If you sneak up on someone you can already kill them pretty much instantly with one of your firearms. I think it would be a waste of resources to add in such a pointless function.

Can you justify such a thing for any reason other than ITS SO RAD GUYS?

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    With the huge number of players running around, it is not all that hard to get behind someone.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Sneaking up on a person already virtually guarantees that they're dead at even medium ranges, so "additional frustration" seems negligent. Frustration arises from situations where you felt helpless to do anything to defend yourself, but I think most campers understand pretty clearly when they get killed from behind that the mistake was a lack of situational awareness, rather than some unfair act by the other player. Any reasonable player is saying to themselves "Ooph, he got me" rather than "That is such bullshit".

Sneaking up on a guy and having the total drop on him, and then still having to use your primary weapon because it's the most reliable way to make sure they die due to knives requiring 2-3 stabs feels bad to me. The experiential highpoint of getting a melee kill on another player is a far more satisfying gameplay moment.

Waste of resources is also a little silly considering it would require zero new art assets and is not a complex feature to code.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Sneaking up on a person already virtually guarantees that they're dead at even medium ranges, so "additional frustration" seems negligent.

See "facestabs" in literally every game to feature a backstab mechanic.

Sneaking up on a guy and having the total drop on him, and then still having to use your primary weapon because it's the most reliable way to make sure they die due to knives requiring 2-3 stabs feels bad to me.

Why? Any reason other than vague preference? Gun>knife seems pretty intuitive to me.

Waste of resources is also a little silly considering it would require zero new art assets and is not a complex feature.

They can be spending the time testing and implementing a backstab feature on anything else and it would be more useful. More maps and bugfixes would be my preference.

• Options
    well, leaving aside the whole thing that it's kind of useless functionality if you can achieve the same effect by fitting a suppressor

It would lead to a lot of situations where you'd want to have your knife out more than your gun; like, if you randomly find yourself in among enemies in a tower, now it would kind of make sense to just run around trying to knife them in the back. That's probably the easiest way to kill one or more of them, and even if you can't they're liable to kill at least a couple of themselves via friendly fire. Or folks would get really good at running through an enemy player at short range, then knifing their 'back.'

The imagined situations where it makes "sense" (like, oooh, you're 'infiltrating' a base going all sam fisher on a couple of dudes) just don't really exist in the game very much (and to the extent that they do, you mostly need to be a LA anyway.) I personally probably wouldn't see too much difference; you can't knife a tank. It's just seems like a totally unnecessary mechanic.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm a lot more receptive to an argument that technical limitations of netcode and prediction tend to produce unreliable backstab detection than trying to convince me that melee kills actually are Dumb.

Getting a melee kill in a shooter is more satisfying because it is hard to stab someone with a knife when they have guns. This has been true since Counterstrike and remains true now. Killing someone in melee is a calculated choice, you are communicating to that player "I have you so dead to rights that I'm going to put myself in additional unnecessary danger by sneaking right up to your back rather than shooting you in the head from 15 yards." There is also a taunting element baked into it, the humiliation of being knifed. There's nothing vague or peculiar about finding that fun.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    It was true in CS (and actually required some skill) because knives weren't one hit kill, just like here.

• Options
    I just like stabbin' guys.

• Options
    I'm cool with that.

• Options
    A one hit kill mechanic would greatly benefit people like me.

Usually if I get the drop on someone, it's about a 50/50 chance I might actually beat them. Accuracy isn't my thing.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »
    A one hit kill mechanic would greatly benefit people like me.

Usually if I get the drop on someone, it's about a 50/50 chance I might actually beat them. Accuracy isn't my thing.

http://youtu.be/fHG4fPkGpDM

I think we both took the same marksmanship course.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    damn.. the Phalanx turrets pack a punch now. Cooked a few ESFs before they could fly off using one, kind of reminded me of beta.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
This discussion has been closed.