As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2013 Classic Console - Classic Tourneys

ShervynShervyn Registered User regular
Hey guys,

Last year we ran a few tourneys and it was fun (at least for me) but I thought it could be even more fun for you if I got some input ahead of time.

So here is what I do know:

We will once again run Tetris Attack (64 people), Golden Eye (64 people), NHL 94 (32 people), Super Smash Bros (32 people), Random Atari 2600 Combat (32 people) and most probably a Neo Geo fighter (32 people). (10 man Bomberman on the Genesis is probably not going to happen due to the difficulty of actually sourcing all those controllers.)

Anything else you would like to see?

We also are going to add the PS2 to the consoles available in CCFP this year and would like to launch with with a PS2 tourney. But there are fewer amazing PS2 multiplayer games than there are single player. Right now we are thinking either Gran Tourismo or SOCOM. Any other ideas...

Also in the past we've not allowed people to bring their own controllers, but I am open to changing this...what do you think?

A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think given the delicate nature of some of the classic consoles, bringing in outside controllers should probably be discouraged for the much older ones. For relatively recent things like n64 and newer, I would think it would be safe.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think given the delicate nature of some of the classic consoles, bringing in outside controllers should probably be discouraged for the much older ones. For relatively recent things like n64 and newer, I would think it would be safe.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was asking if people wanted to bring in their own original controller, not any sort of after market unit.

At the end of the day these are old units and the controllers are rarely 100%. So if someone has an original controller that they are happy with should they be allowed to bring it, if they are willing to share it.

A man who could afford $50 had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in 10 yrs' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a $100 on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet. -Vimes
  • Options
    GingerJesusGingerJesus Registered User new member
    Well I will definitely dig up some of my controllers to contribute to this! As for the PS2 idea there are two games that I absolutely loved to play against my friends. Those two were Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven. While the former needs no introduction, Tenchu had (at least in our opinion) a very fun versus mode with diverse characters. As for retro games I will have to give it some thought because we have enough traditional "multiplayer" games that I think we could do something a little outside of the box.

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    For a possible PS2 game, how about the original Star Wars Battlefront? Can't really think of many other multiplayer games that really stand out for me off the top of my head.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    For the PS2 Twisted Metal Black had awesome multiplayer.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Timesplitters?

• Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    Not sure how I missed that one. Possibly Burnout 3 if there would be any support for that at all, but when it comes to vehicular destruction I would much rather play Twisted Metal.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    So I am purposefully trying to stay away from fighting games...but Twisted Metal Black is amazing and I will totally have to look into Tenchu although that might be a little too obscure.

• Options
    Obscure is good, it'll put most people on an even playing field so they can just have fun with it, it's been more than a couple of years since I have played it myself.

• Options
    SpicosaurusSpicosaurus SpaceRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    N64: Diddy Kong Racing

Dreamcast: Power Stone, Outrigger, Quake 3

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64

This space for rent
  • Options
    Yeah, Diddy Kong Racing for the n64 is a *must*. Best game.

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I second....or third this

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    A blast corps competition of some type would be amazing too.

• Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    Capcom vs. SNK 2
    I'm a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 fan, myself.

How about Perfect Dark instead of Goldeneye?

• Options
    DUDE YES CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!!

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    A blast corps competition of some type would be amazing too.
    This right here.

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Do you guys have the games already or are you looking to borrow games from convention goers as well.

This space for rent
  • Options
    I am almost completely certain that they do not take game donations from attendees (this is true of most of the freeplay stuff anyhow, but could be different for classic console).

• Options
    TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    I second....or third this

I would Mario Kart 64 over Diddy Kong for competitive play mainly due to the reason that once you get ahead, you can't catch up. (E.G. If everyone tries to snag the first blue balloon and the one person who gets it goes ahead and can snag the rest of the balloons with ease). With MKart, you have the items randomized and the difficulty of the courses + slides.

Shervyn wrote: »
    Also in the past we've not allowed people to bring their own controllers, but I am open to changing this...what do you think?

Provided that the controllers are first party and are deemed not modified (with pre-approval of the current staff on hand); I would love to use my own controller as I've almost lost a couple with ones I've played with before. It just eliminates the surprise of a nasty handicap.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Timesplitters?

My God. THIS!

Also, I am definitely in for NHL 94 and my two friends probably are too. I need to redeem myself for my embarrassing first round loss.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    So we've run Perfect Dark instead of Golden Eye before and just didn't get the same buy-in so I think I will stick with Golden-eye.

I agree that all controllers will have to be first party and unmodified.

For the tourneys in classic we always do better if we have more copies of the game, so actually if you could bring your copy (Only for the tourney) not for freeplay that would be good.

CCFP is a little different from the other freeplays in that there is no easy way to guarantee that we will have enough copies of everything on hand.

And I am intrigued by a Timesplitters tourney. What levels and set up would you suggest. I'd like to test a few out.

• Options
    I actually have Timesplitters sitting right here (since I wanna do live streaming of it on Twitch at some point). I'll jump in at some point and check it out. I haven't played it in YEARS.

If NHL 94 doesn't happen, I suggest one of the NHL Hitz games.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    N13 wrote: »
    Capcom vs. SNK 2
    I'm a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 fan, myself.
    [/i]?

Same, I love to see some MVC2 or maybe Killer Instinct?

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    I'd do Killer Instinct over MvC2 since I don't consider MvC2 as a classic console game. You can play it on xbla.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    BinaryPieBinaryPie Registered User regular
    I'd love a SOCOM PS2 tourney.

Also looking forward to the NHL 94 tourney.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Was Super Puzzle Fighter PS1 or PS2? That was a great game, and could be tourny-worthy.

• Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I'd do Killer Instinct over MvC2 since I don't consider MvC2 as a classic console game. You can play it on xbla.
    I played it on the Dreamcast. Where's the love? :)

• Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    @Shervyn, if you do MK64, Super Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing I will A) love you more and B) totally abandon my department for an hour to come watch.

• Options
    TektonikkTektonikk PAX South/West Console Tournament Manager Registered User regular
    Scoots wrote: »
    @Shervyn, if you do MK64, Super Mario Kart or Diddy Kong Racing I will A) love you more and B) totally abandon my department for an hour to come watch.

While we are at it, I would like to request a SNES Mario Kart one possibly as well? But totally down on MKart 64 as well. I'm destructive. =)

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    If there's a way to get a japanese PS2 or one with a boot disc I can bring Twinkle Star Sprites 2

• Options
    EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    Absolutely would love to see Smash Bros and MK64.

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • Options
    PopinskiPopinski Registered User regular
    Tecmo Superbowl?

• Options
    EQVEQV Spaceteam Champ 2013 Registered User regular
    Star Fox 64 would be fantastic as well.

TOURNAMENT CHAMPION - SPACETEAM, PAX EAST 2013
    Team Yellow (S) 2013 - The Ampharos Association
    Pokécrawl Episode 4

Team Blue (G) 2012 - The Fightin' Totodiles
    Pokécrawl Episode 3

PAX East 2012 - Rookie - Saturday, April 7
    PAX East 2013 - Twice as Nice - March 22-24
  • Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    I love Mortal Kombat 2 and NBA Jam

• Options
    IVblueIVblue Registered User new member
    NFL blitz for 64, and SSX Tricky for ps2! Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are these tourneys held inside PAX or separate from PAX?

• Options
    Inside PAX.

• Options
    CallMeJimCallMeJim Registered User new member
    Another dumb question, from a complete newbie: will signups for these tourneys be on the forums or at the con?

• Options
    All signups are at the con with the exception of the wargaming events, as far as I know.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    And they are first come, first served. So make sure you head to the sign up areas the beginning of each day (iirc, each day's tournaments are signed up for that morning.)

Traitorious on