As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventure [chat]

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    screen_shot_2013-01-16_at_10.22.04_am.png

This is the most offensive thing I have seen today in [chat].

Now lets see the ROI for spending per student vs per athlete. Its almost like sports programs are huge money makers for the school or something. Is anyone really suprised they spend so much more on their own profit factory?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    The V'Ger / Borg tie together just makes absolutely no sense. The whole point of the TNG eps that introduced them was "They didn't know you were here, now they do and you're fucked". Voyager had a ton of data that would have sent them straight to us.

such as its trajectory through space...

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    what if in star trek they encountered aliens with vastly different day/night cycles than humans

like, some species evolved on a planet with 12 hour days and slept as such

we would only be able to converse every other day!

There is a diplomatic mission in Star Trek Online that has you doing a first contact meeting with a representative from another species, and one of the *potential issues that you and he discuss is a vastly different day night cycle.

*possible potential issues, as the framework of the mission and dialogue is a frame, and then the details are random mad libs stuff from a list of possible things.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Now lets see the ROI for spending per student vs per athlete. Its almost like sports programs are huge money makers for the school or something. Is anyone really suprised they spend so much more on their own profit factory?

If I recall correctly, this is actually untrue.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    NO TYRANNUS SUX

Guys, guys

You both suck

et tu, dsc?

caesar-ides-march.jpg

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    i need a game to play, someone suggest me a game so i can dismiss it because i don't have that game or don't want to play it

Chrono Cross

don't have it

i should also specify if i can't launch it with a couple of clicks in steam it ain't happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ

i don't even....

come on [chat], your failure to suggest something i don't know i want is making me think y'all are scrub tier gamers

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    any time spent on travel at any time for work for me is comp time

I've driven down to Jacksonville about a dozen times

If I drive, I get paid mileage as well

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I had kind of gotten over this thing where apparently I work for a crazy old man who can decide to send me off to another city with no warning or consent. "Real life," I told myself, "involves dealing with stuff you don't like even if you don't agree with the reasons."

Today I found out I'm not getting paid for the travel time and everyone wants this documentation and that stub and blah blah blah everyone's pissy at me for shit I wanted nothing to do with I just want to be fucking compensated and I'm not even getting that SO FUCK THESE PEOPLE SO MUCH FUCK THIS JOB FUCK IT

What?

That is re-goddamn-diculous. Fuck that job man. I may do some little shit like be on call "Because its the Job". But not full on travel expenses. That's just insane.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Yeah...about that...

http://deadspin.com/5976391/sec-schools-spend-163931-per-athlete-and-other-ways-the-ncaa-is-a-bonfire-for-your-money?utm_source=jezebel.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

The study is embedded in the article but the answer seems to be that they aren't actually money makers. School funding and student fees still cover a significant part of the cost.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    japan wrote: »
    Went to supermarket for bread, milk, butter, and some salad.

Bought a TV.

Hell of an impulse buy.

It wasn't really an impulse buy. Cesca's mum gave us money to buy a TV with so we'd been looking around. It's a 32" 1080p 3DTV and it was £200, which is pretty much the best deal we've seen.

It's an off-brand (Celcus) but there seems to be enough people that have bought these specific TVs without there being any horror stories.

japan on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Athletes being unreasonably rich makes me happy, for some reason.

It gives me hope - things can't possibly be that bad if we can spend billions of dollars to get some dudes to run around on a field.

Times ain't so tough if I can spend $100 to go to the stadium, drink overpriced beers and yell at millionaires for a few hours.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Well the cat is doing better today. While I was at school my mom told me he got up, walked around a little, stared out the patio door at the rain, then hopped up on a chair and slept for a while, and she eventually moved him back into the gated off kitchen where we've been keeping him (too many well-meaning dogs who want to go stick their noses on him).

When I got home from school he picked his head up and watched me until I came over to pet him, after which he put his head back down and went back to sleep.

The cat is still fucked up beyond belief but he is no longer imminently dying of a massive infection.

What happened to him?

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    The V'Ger / Borg tie together just makes absolutely no sense. The whole point of the TNG eps that introduced them was "They didn't know you were here, now they do and you're fucked". Voyager had a ton of data that would have sent them straight to us.

Also there's a shit ton ass fuck gajillion species between the vast tracts of land the borg control and Earth.

There is nothing technologically interesting about the Voyager probe, compared to all those other species + what the borg have already to send them chasing toward us with high interest.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    i need a game to play, someone suggest me a game so i can dismiss it because i don't have that game or don't want to play it

Chrono Cross

don't have it

i should also specify if i can't launch it with a couple of clicks in steam it ain't happening

i don't even....

come on [chat], your failure to suggest something i don't know i want is making me think y'all are scrub tier gamers

yeah you wouldn't be able to beat my scores anyway

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    I had kind of gotten over this thing where apparently I work for a crazy old man who can decide to send me off to another city with no warning or consent. "Real life," I told myself, "involves dealing with stuff you don't like even if you don't agree with the reasons."

Today I found out I'm not getting paid for the travel time and everyone wants this documentation and that stub and blah blah blah everyone's pissy at me for shit I wanted nothing to do with I just want to be fucking compensated and I'm not even getting that SO FUCK THESE PEOPLE SO MUCH FUCK THIS JOB FUCK IT

What?

That is re-goddamn-diculous. Fuck that job man. I may do some little shit like be on call "Because its the Job". But not full on travel expenses. That's just insane.

I don't field expenses (if I'm very very careful with paperwork and if there aren't any particular loopholes to catch me), but I personally consider my time valuable.

I'm chilling about it now, it's mostly just that I'm sick and for some reason everyone here is being pissy at me their stupid shit so I'm kind of stressed out. But I consider it something worth taking action over. If the state can retain the right to my time with no compensation, then I need a different job.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Chrono Cross

don't have it

i don't even....

yeah you wouldn't be able to beat my scores anyway

ohhhhhh snap

• Options
    Well the cat is doing better today. While I was at school my mom told me he got up, walked around a little, stared out the patio door at the rain, then hopped up on a chair and slept for a while, and she eventually moved him back into the gated off kitchen where we've been keeping him (too many well-meaning dogs who want to go stick their noses on him).

When I got home from school he picked his head up and watched me until I came over to pet him, after which he put his head back down and went back to sleep.

The cat is still fucked up beyond belief but he is no longer imminently dying of a massive infection.

What happened to him?

He was in a very serious fight with another cat, and we didn't realize that he was injured and it got infected over the weekend and he almost died by Monday when we brought him to the vet. It's amazing how badly he was mauled and yet it didn't show through the fur at all. No blood either. The vet shaved his wounded areas, and wow hey look, this cat got chewed half to death by a psycho cat.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

“I don’t want to know where other people are, I don’t want them to know where I am, and I definitely don’t want it all to be tracked by a website that pits us against each other to see who can share our locations the most. Frankly, it doesn’t make any sense why that would ever appeal to anyone.”

<3

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

Yeah...about that...

http://deadspin.com/5976391/sec-schools-spend-163931-per-athlete-and-other-ways-the-ncaa-is-a-bonfire-for-your-money?utm_source=jezebel.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

The study is embedded in the article but the answer seems to be that they aren't actually money makers. School funding and student fees still cover a significant part of the cost.

Ah well. I stand corrected then. It just seemed logical that any popular sports franchise would be a huge pull with all the merchandising, no player "salary". That sort of thing.

• Options
    Oh god Endless Space is turn-based and can be played in Windowed mode.

Well, join me [chat], if you'd like, while the next 12 hours mysteriously disappear.

• Options

Do some research into your own claim here.

See how much money college sports makes that actually gets spent on anything that isn't athletics. It isn't much.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

It gives me hope - things can't possibly be that bad if we can spend billions of dollars to get some dudes to run around on a field.

Times ain't so tough if I can spend $100 to go to the stadium, drink overpriced beers and yell at millionaires for a few hours.

BREAD AND CIRCUSES

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Chrono Cross

don't have it

i don't even....

Warframe's not bad.

You get to run around as an Eva Warframe with other peeps and shoot/knife Krogans Bad guys.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

wait, I thought some kind of supernatural hoopijoo happened to the voyager probe (wormhole Jesus?) to send it way out to where the borg were?

Cause if the thing was just moving along it's current tragectory, by the time of Star Trek it would not have even got to the Oort Cloud around our own Sun.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Well, join me [chat], if you'd like, while the next 12 hours mysteriously disappear.

Why don't you study instead?

Because...

I don't know...

STUDY!

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    The surest sign that that guy isn't a British noble is that he is not actually mildly embarrassed by the fact that he is a British noble.

That is a constitutional requirement, and it makes it easy to spot the fakers.

• Options

What happened to him?

He was in a very serious fight with another cat, and we didn't realize that he was injured and it got infected over the weekend and he almost died by Monday when we brought him to the vet. It's amazing how badly he was mauled and yet it didn't show through the fur at all. No blood either. The vet shaved his wounded areas, and wow hey look, this cat got chewed half to death by a psycho cat.

Man that sucks :(

My girlfriends cat got bitten through her ear at one point by something, but fortunately that's really obvious so we got her to the vet and started disinfecting it right away.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    so my dad just messaged me on gtalk to say he sold an old auger for 381 dollars after he bought it for five bucks

and then he says

"this augers well for the future

get it

augers

ahahahahahahahaha"

yes dad. yes I get it.

your dad is fucking rad

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I thank you guys for talking about STO so much that I tried it out and like it as a side mmo, and it got me watching the tv shows, but can you use spoiler tags for tv show stuff please? If im being unreasonable considering how old the shows are thats cool just figured i would ask and can get better at post skimming.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I own that exact knife.

• Options
    Fuck, I'm having that thing where there's no sugar in my blood and I get all sweaty and my heart races.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    hmm

anachronox has now failed twice in the same battle.

this is unfortunate.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Be1b5.jpg

• Options

BREAD AND CIRCUSES

Now you're getting it! :P

Why don't you study instead?

Because...

I don't know...

STUDY!

Ain't a lot of studying for radio!

Stay up on current events, produce your promos, write your scripts, and perform and you're doing 99% of the job!

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    I thank you guys for talking about STO so much that I tried it out and like it as a side mmo, and it got me watching the tv shows, but can you use spoiler tags for tv show stuff please? If im being unreasonable considering how old the shows are thats cool just figured i would ask and can get better at post skimming.

No it's not unreasonable. We will start doing that.

• Options
    my dad would have no idea what an augury is ):

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    This is a test of the quoting-from-the-agree page

edit: seems to work, despite the quote button only existing under ye olde style.
    nm! I wasn't signed in under firefox.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Madpanda wrote: »

Man.

Star Trek The Motion Picture is from 1979

And it wasn't a good movie.

That's where all the V'ger stuff comes from.

95% of the talk about the Borg isn't information that is presented in a coherent fashion in the episodes of the series, and is a pieces together from people watching all of TNG, all of Voyager, scripts, internet discussions, fansites and a lot of other shit.

The "true origin of the borg" is unknown.

Like, it's never been on the show and the producers aint saying.

So you're asking people to put spoiler tags around general Trek fan nerd chatter, and that's not really reasonable. These are pretty old shows that have well since diffused into general science fiction and nerd culture.

Suck it up.

This discussion has been closed.