As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dapper Dogs [chat]

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    GODDAMMIT!

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME.

SHE WAS HOT AND SMART AND FUNNY.

k7dj3.png

JamesKeenan on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    As an a
    Jacobkosh and I think Spool32

Voyager fell through a wormhole and wound up on a "machine world" where it was rebuilt into V'ger, having been heavily damaged and remembering only the directive "Learn all that is learnable and return home to the creators."

Which isn't really reminiscent of the borg philosophy. Personally I find the attempt to link the two to be a very hack-worthy retcon.

I'm not sure, I'm sort of torn. One the one hand, it is interesting but on the other the Borg wouldn't just soup up a shitty probe and send it on its way. They'd most likely ignore it the same way you would ignore a squirrel laying dead in the road as your drove by in your car.

Exactly.

Fucking exactly.

In every appearance of the borg, the borg ignore anything that isn't interesting and isn't a threat. Low-tech agrarian world populated by an unknown species?

They don't even bother assimilating it.

Crappy space probe launched at sub-light speed from an unknown system?

It wouldn't even get a footnote, let alone would they re-purpose it when they could create something vastly superior from scratch.

I find it interesting for the same reason Jacob just said. I can bite that maybe the Borg were weaker 300 years before TNG and more exploratory or some such, that doesn't really bother me.

But I like the idea that we'll never know who sent V'ger even more. Just like I hope I never find anything else out about the Whale Probe.

Lh96QHG.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Say what you will about the Borg or V'Ger or anything else, though, The Motion Picture soundtrack is a phenomenal accompaniment to Star Trek Online. I love having Ilia's Theme going while I'm toodling around uncharted sectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elcgDP7Q_b8

rRwz9.gif
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    GODDAMMIT!

k7dj3.png

go for it

aRkpc.gif
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    @Jacobkosh and I think @Spool32

Voyager fell through a wormhole and wound up on a "machine world" where it was rebuilt into V'ger, having been heavily damaged and remembering only the directive "Learn all that is learnable and return home to the creators."

That sounds like the plot to a bad star trek episode...

oh wait..

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh and I think @Spool32

That sounds like the plot to a star trek episode...

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Maybe it's the other way around and the probe created the borg.

(obviously not true, but fun to think about)

mrflippy on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    horribly depressing in a quiet way is apt

very apt

fuck gendered marketing
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Ronya

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/15/dont-lose-hope-over-arab-spring/

This is my advisor. Not an economist. Interesting article.

Fucker took my idea on Arab countries being closer to 1989 Eastern Europe from health numbers perspective.

Actually it has been a thread in a few things I have read. Including some of his and a lot of my stuff.

mazzyx

hmm! interesting

(what shall we call it, geomedical determinism?)

I will point out that much of Eastern Europe did not fare terribly well.

It is mostly a mix of Lipset's Development leads to Democracy theory and something called the epidemiological transition which is a common trend you see many states as health care gets better.

Of course many of the Eastern Europe states ended up pretty well compared to where they were before the democratic transition.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    19214_531145123573170_1748545069_n.jpg

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @desc -- pitched down burial-esque vocals saying "plato said" with just a thudding kick holding down the low end and horror soundtrack pads pumping from my speakers right now you should be here

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    GODDAMMIT!

k7dj3.png

Did you use the wrong form of your or was that her? I'm a little confused at who initiated contact.

Psn:wazukki
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    This one is NSFW because boobies
    But it's pretty great

http://z.mhcdn.net/store/manga/3200/002.0/compressed/plica042.jpg

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    GODDAMMIT!

k7dj3.png

go for it

She's 1,200 miles away. No go.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Which isn't really reminiscent of the borg philosophy. Personally I find the attempt to link the two to be a very hack-worthy retcon.

I'm not sure, I'm sort of torn. One the one hand, it is interesting but on the other the Borg wouldn't just soup up a shitty probe and send it on its way. They'd most likely ignore it the same way you would ignore a squirrel laying dead in the road as your drove by in your car.

Exactly.

Fucking exactly.

In every appearance of the borg, the borg ignore anything that isn't interesting and isn't a threat. Low-tech agrarian world populated by an unknown species?

It wouldn't even get a footnote, let alone would they re-purpose it when they could create something vastly superior from scratch.

Is it implied that the borg race made v'ger or the machine race that would somehow later assimilate biological parts and become the borg?

I don't know, but I do know that the actual questions about the origin of the borg, ie: when did the queen come onto the scene, where is their original homeworld, how long have they been around etc etc etc

were never answered in any of the series.

The answer is "The Federation does not know, and the borg aint talking about it."

But given the incredible, staggering amount of territory they have assimilated, it is safe to assume that they were not peaceful explorers at any point during human history. If they had a pre-conquerer period, it was a long, long, long time ago.

Wikipedia has this to say:
    The origin of the Borg is never made clear, though they are portrayed as having existed for hundreds or thousands of years (as attested by Guinan and the Borg Queen). In Star Trek: First Contact, the Borg Queen merely states that the Borg were once much like humanity, "flawed and weak", but gradually developed into a partially synthetic species in an ongoing attempt to evolve and perfect themselves. This theme or relation to humanity is repeated in other sources.

And keep in mind, First Contact is not regarded as a high water mark for the franchise and most people were really unhappy with the borg queen.

Also, she could have been lying through her teeth. The borg are not vulcans, they lie all the time, about everything.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    -Jacobkosh and I think -Spool32

That sounds like the plot to a bad star trek episode...

oh wait..

<3

TMP is a pretty tight script, really with interesting ideas and a smart character growth from TOS. The finished product is just trying to be 2001 so damn hard.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited January 2013
    wazilla wrote: »
    GODDAMMIT!

k7dj3.png

Did you use the wrong form of your or was that her? I'm a little confused at who initiated contact.

Oh shit. I did.

Oops. I initiated contact.

Mental typo. I was an English Major, too. Terrible.

JamesKeenan on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    GODDAMMIT!

k7dj3.png

go for it

long-distance relationship

go

aRkpc.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Formalwear
    payOy.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    James....

turn in your degree.

(GIVE IT TO MEEEEE)

Psn:wazukki
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Well IT finally blocked PA. It was nice working with y'all

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Do I spy a reference to the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog?

Casual wrote: »

Exactly.

Fucking exactly.

Is it implied that the borg race made v'ger or the machine race that would somehow later assimilate biological parts and become the borg?

I don't know, but I do know that the actual questions about the origin of the borg, ie: when did the queen come onto the scene, where is their original homeworld, how long have they been around etc etc etc

were never answered in any of the series.

The answer is "The Federation does not know, and the borg aint talking about it."

But given the incredible, staggering amount of territory they have assimilated, it is safe to assume that they were not peaceful explorers at any point during human history. If they had a pre-conquerer period, it was a long, long, long time ago.

Wikipedia has this to say:
    The origin of the Borg is never made clear, though they are portrayed as having existed for hundreds or thousands of years (as attested by Guinan and the Borg Queen). In Star Trek: First Contact, the Borg Queen merely states that the Borg were once much like humanity, "flawed and weak", but gradually developed into a partially synthetic species in an ongoing attempt to evolve and perfect themselves. This theme or relation to humanity is repeated in other sources.

And keep in mind, First Contact is not regarded as a high water mark for the franchise and most people were really unhappy with the borg queen.

Also, she could have been lying through her teeth. The borg are not vulcans, they lie all the time, about everything.

Well, the Borg were restricted to just a few systems in the 1400s (VOY: Dragon's Teeth) so they weren't the galaxy crushing plague we know them at least in the semi-recent past.

I could buy that they might be interested in Voyager if it fell out of some kind of wormhole deep within Borg space somewhere around now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    jesus batfucking christ this made my laugh so many times
    It really captures the desperate, adrenaline pumping berzerker rage that comes of having to live in the 1980s

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    man i want to play sto too

but i got all these other games to finishhhhhh

919UOwT.png
    Take care deeb

fuck gendered marketing
    Also I always though Guinan's species was far more interesting and mysterious than the borg.

They remind me of Time Lords.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

Nooooooooo. Deeeeebs.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    nooo Deebaser :(

Make friends with the IT department. We're nice people and don't care. Bribery is a bonus. Bribery will get it unblocked. We know if management asks we can make shit up.

"Oh the ARP table flushed the routing packets and it all reset."

Bribe IT.

those comics kana

they are good comics

fuck gendered marketing

:(

Lh96QHG.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    IT doesn't need to have ethics.

Because they are IT.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Also I always though Guinan's species was far more interesting and mysterious than the borg.

They were pretty much time lords. Time lords who got stuck in the pleasure matrix thanks to Generations.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

did you ever read Peter David's book Vendetta?

it's one of the very few tie-in novels (of anything, Star Wars, Trek, etc.) I've read that I can remember twenty-odd years later. It worked Guinan's people, the Borg, and the Doomsday Machine into a terrific story.

rRwz9.gif
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

no deeb no

919UOwT.png

If there's a lost story I want to read, it's how Picard first met Guinan and why Q was afraid of her.

Basically we need a Q&A style book about Guinan.

Lh96QHG.png
    GODDAMMIT!

k7dj3.png

go for it

long-distance relationship

go

Don't tempt me, Frodo!

Mazzyx wrote: »

They were pretty much time lords. Time lords who got stuck in the pleasure matrix thanks to Generations.

That was only two escape-ships worth of El-Aurians.

Given what we know about her species from Guinan, it is safe to assume there were a large handful of others like her scattered around the universe when their homeworld was destroyed.

This discussion has been closed.