As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I havent...Im currently at 42% after 23 hours 13 minutes of being unplugged.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I had a crazy battery drain on my S3 for a couple nights. Turning off syncing off all services I don't use (Picasa, etc) fixed it. Sounds like that's not your problem, though.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Is there currently anywhere to buy a Galaxy Nexus 4? I know the Google Play store is currently out, as is the T-mobile site. There isn't much info on it that I can find beyond the odd rumor.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    carphone warehouse in the UK have some but tehy are around £100 over the google Play store prices. Rip off. I would just wait dude.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Question for Galaxy S3 owners: Anyone else find that the gpsd process is mysteriously draining your battery fast? As in, putting my phone into airplane mode at 100% before bed left me with 15% about 6.5 hours later between LINE and gpsd each taking up 50% of my battery power. And this only happened last night, so it's something recent that may have happened even though I didn't install any new apps.

I don't know what could have been causing it, but I tried to restart my phone earlier today, uninstalled LINE (why did it burn through so much battery when in airplane mode o_O), and am finishing up recharging it now. Some initial Googling seemed to suggest that it's related to Samsung's Find My Phone service but that's disabled in my phone, as is Google Maps location reporting and Google Now.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it this afternoon, but has anyone else had this problem?

I've had horrible battery life after upgrading to 4.1 legitly a could months back, but no one here responded. I could come home from work and ask have over 60% battery and I can barely have it last a day now (even without using it at all). Also the main browser seems broken as well. If you are using 4.1, your battery issues may be more involved.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Hm... it seems that, for now, restarting my phone may have fixed the gpsd problem. At least I'm not getting the horrible drain right now, but I'm curious what was causing it in the first place?...
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Question for Galaxy S3 owners: Anyone else find that the gpsd process is mysteriously draining your battery fast? As in, putting my phone into airplane mode at 100% before bed left me with 15% about 6.5 hours later between LINE and gpsd each taking up 50% of my battery power. And this only happened last night, so it's something recent that may have happened even though I didn't install any new apps.

I don't know what could have been causing it, but I tried to restart my phone earlier today, uninstalled LINE (why did it burn through so much battery when in airplane mode o_O), and am finishing up recharging it now. Some initial Googling seemed to suggest that it's related to Samsung's Find My Phone service but that's disabled in my phone, as is Google Maps location reporting and Google Now.

I'm gonna keep an eye on it this afternoon, but has anyone else had this problem?

I've had horrible battery life after upgrading to 4.1 legitly a could months back, but no one here responded. I could come home from work and ask have over 60% battery and I can barely have it last a day now (even without using it at all). Also the main browser seems broken as well. If you are using 4.1, your battery issues may be more involved.

I've been running 4.1 since the middle of December with no problems, though - actually my battery life improved. I do have a friend here that has the same problem as you, though. He's actually been having some odd issues with his S3 in general (Messaging app always had a 1 unread message notification icon, notification area freezing, etc). I've tried playing around with a couple of things for the battery at least, but the usual suspects aren't misbehaving from what I could tell. I got BetterBatteryStats for him to keep an eye on Partial Wakelocks for now, though (if interested, you can get it for free on XDA or purchase it from the Play store). That one or (I think it's called) GSAM Battery Stats might be something to download to keep an eye on what your phone is doing.

Under Settings -> Battery, what's causing the most drain for you usually?

工事中
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I've had a customer who had a massive battery drain issue with his S3. AT&T warranty services eventually sent him a new phone after I verified with them that a battery replacement and complete wipe didn't fix it. Like, I could watch his battery drain 1%/minute and Android OS would take up about 87% of the battery drain.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    I updated my S3 to Jelly Bean on Verizon and my battery started to train faster. Change your mode from global and it should last longer.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Interesting homescreen someone made using photos of objects;

http://i.imgur.com/TH0TP.jpg

Alegis on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »

For some reason this reminds me of a point and click adventure/puzzle game. Like a Myst clone or something.

• Options
    My S3 arrived! Sweet jesus its huge. I was so used to the 3" screen of the Samsung Galaxy y now (despite only owning it for a mere 3 weeks).

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Is anyone having any issues with the stock calendar not synching Facebook events/birthdays?

I have S3 and it's on 4.1.1

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I've been noticing my GS3 loves to have a high wakelock% number (like 10-15% of battery use is wakelock), even though I only run Google Play Music about two hours a day (my morning and evening commute).

Battery life overall seems good and the CPU seems to be in deep sleep about 85% of the time, but the wakelock still seems high to me from what I've read, it should only be like, 5% of battery.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience/opinion on the Galaxy Exhilarate? I'm finally going to be ditching my dumb-phone next month when I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'm looking for something that isn't too big, and on paper the Exhilarate seems to have a pretty good feature set. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it.

It lasted all of 45 days in retail stores before being replaced by the Galaxy Express. Had one as a company-use device and honestly, it isn't worth a shit. It's an early-2012 specced Android phone that gets outclassed by practically everything else AT&T has available. $0.99 gets you the grey HTC One X online (deal of the fucking century, and despite the screen size, it's actually a very slender, lightweight phone), $50 gets you the One VX, the Pantech Discover, or the Xperia TL. Basically, practically every other Android phone AT&T offers is better in some way.

Well then, I'm glad I asked. D:

So if you were looking for a sub-$100 Android on AT&T, with an eye towards pocket-carrying comfort over shear size/speed, which one would you get?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around a priority matrix with all these different specs. All the different combinations of height, and width, and thickness, and weight, and screen size combined with resolution, and processor speed is making my head hurt. Right now I guess I might be leaning towards the One VX.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »

There is perhaps a skeuomorphism run amok joke to be made here, but you can't fault the creativity and effort.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    My Xperia Ray seems desperate to be a time traveler at the moment

Every time the battery runs all the way down or is removed the phone date changes to January 6th 1980. I have to then manually change it back because the automatic date and time setting doesn't seem to be able to fix it.

Started about a month ago, before then it was able to remember the date and time even if the battery was completely flat. Any suggestions to why would be much appreciated, especially since I think this is linked to other battery problems that started at the same time.

• Options

So if you were looking for a sub-$100 Android on AT&T, with an eye towards pocket-carrying comfort over shear size/speed, which one would you get?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around a priority matrix with all these different specs. All the different combinations of height, and width, and thickness, and weight, and screen size combined with resolution, and processor speed is making my head hurt. Right now I guess I might be leaning towards the One VX.

The One VX is well-loved by my customers. Still a great-looking display, good battery life, smallish, and great performance. The One X, though, is physically the same size, if not a little thinner and lighter, as well as having what's widely considered the best display available short of the (also HTC) Droid DNA. Not to mention the camera is the only one that can go toe-to-toe with the iPhone 5's. At $0.99 for the grey one, it's seriously a steal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

The One VX is well-loved by my customers. Still a great-looking display, good battery life, smallish, and great performance. The One X, though, is physically the same size, if not a little thinner and lighter, as well as having what's widely considered the best display available short of the (also HTC) Droid DNA. Not to mention the camera is the only one that can go toe-to-toe with the iPhone 5's. At $0.99 for the grey one, it's seriously a steal.

Ok, I'm sold. One last question, do you have any idea if that price will still be around for another month? I'm not due for an upgrade until mid-February.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

disable google now if you don't use it, it's a MAJOR battery hog

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    It's while supplies last, so there's no telling. And you'll actually be eligible on the 1st.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Looking to pickup a new phone, I currently have an lg optimus which is kinda slow and has really low internal memory.

Leaning towards
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-evo-phone/features/

But was also wondering about
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-reverb-phone/features/

The evo has a dual core, slightly bigger screen, and cynagenmod supports it. Any reason I should dig into the samsung more?

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Looking to pickup a new phone, I currently have an lg optimus which is kinda slow and has really low internal memory.

Leaning towards
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-evo-phone/features/

But was also wondering about
    http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-reverb-phone/features/

The evo has a dual core, slightly bigger screen, and cynagenmod supports it. Any reason I should dig into the samsung more?

Hrm. Of those choices, the EVO V is better. I had an EVO 3D and it is a deeply flawed device, but the Galaxy Reverb looks like a slightly updated original Galaxy S, which is almost 3 years old at this point. The EVO V has a better screen, faster processor, more RAM, etc.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

I have had major battery issues on my phone as well since upgrading. Now my phone only charges to 85%

camo_sig.png
  • Options

Don't forget to disable location reporting under Google Maps, unless you want to use it. Mine was off by default, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

工事中
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

I wonder what about the S3 makes Google Now such a battery hog. It's fine on my Galaxy Nexus - doesn't even register on the battery usage screen.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    What is Google Now? Is that the thing that lets Google tell other people where you are?

Whats the thing that allows Google to give you directions back to where it thinks your house is?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    What is Google Now? Is that the thing that lets Google tell other people where you are?

It's the cards thing. It will scan your calendar and pull up things like contact info or flight info if it sees a flight number.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    emp123 wrote: »

That's Google Latitude. Google Now is the cards (weather, interesting places, distance to home, public transport links, etc) that appear in the Google Search app.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Hmm, totally have that enabled but I still get pretty decent battery life.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    where do you see if you have google now enabled?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    open the google search app, press menu, then settings

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    So there's a Mediafire app available today offering 50gb of space free for Android.

Not sure if that's Mediafire's standard fare, or specific to Android.

工事中
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've been using Doggcatcher since I got my first Android phone but since I got my Nexus 7 I've kind of wanted an app that would sync my progress in podcasts across devices. Anyone come across one?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Question - my upgrade eligibility is coming up soon, and I'm thinking of going with the Galaxy Note 2. Anyone in the thread have experience with the Note 2? Also, is there going to be a "Note 3" four months ago that will make me feel silly for not waiting?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I've haven't owned a Note2 but I have an S3, and have gotten to play with a Note2 quite a bit and it felt like a bigger S3 (not in a bad way, the screen is really nice) though I haven't had to pocket it for daily usage.

Samsung has quicker turnover for model generations, but I doubt there will be a Note3 until late summer or fall.

• Options
    Can anyone explain the point of multiwindow on the S3? From what I can tell it just died what holding the home button already did. I'm missing something obvious here, I just know it!

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    So I recently started using Handycent instead of my Droid 4 (ICS)'s default text client, which is great, and I was able to make it accessible from the lock screen by disabling the base text messaging app, but it both seems to have started causing issues with Handycent's popup functionality (not a big deal) but also doesn't appear to be something I can do for the camera, for which I have a better app than the default (Camera ICS, mostly better because it's less unwieldy to actually take pictures).

So it sounds like I need a lock screen replacement. Recommendations? Go Lockscreen was looking pretty good until I realized I'd have to get used to a different launcher, which is a bit much of a commitment for me, since I'm still in the middle of wrangling Apex Launcher until I know what the hell I'm doing with it.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Kainy wrote: »
    So I recently started using Handycent instead of my Droid 4 (ICS)'s default text client, which is great, and I was able to make it accessible from the lock screen by disabling the base text messaging app, but it both seems to have started causing issues with Handycent's popup functionality (not a big deal) but also doesn't appear to be something I can do for the camera, for which I have a better app than the default (Camera ICS, mostly better because it's less unwieldy to actually take pictures).

So it sounds like I need a lock screen replacement. Recommendations? Go Lockscreen was looking pretty good until I realized I'd have to get used to a different launcher, which is a bit much of a commitment for me, since I'm still in the middle of wrangling Apex Launcher until I know what the hell I'm doing with it.

I've used WidgetLocker for a LONG time and really like it.

工事中
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Question - my upgrade eligibility is coming up soon, and I'm thinking of going with the Galaxy Note 2. Anyone in the thread have experience with the Note 2? Also, is there going to be a "Note 3" four months ago that will make me feel silly for not waiting?

I got my note 2 just after Christmas. Just for reference, I upgraded from an original Evo.

It's a super nice phone. The screen is really nice (not only big, but looks fantastic) plus it's boatloads faster than my old Evo. It's got a bigger than average battery, which I can get 2 days of use from depending on usage. It fits in my pocket nicely(I'm a dude), and because it's bigger, it doesn't do that thing where the phone turns sideways in your pocket. Oh, I also use the pen a lot more than I thought I would. It's really convenient for casual phone browsing. It's also really easy to root and get rid of all the bloatware that comes with it.

Edit: As far as size is concerned, I would not be interested in going back to a smaller phone. Having 5.5" of real estate is great.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the point of multiwindow on the S3? From what I can tell it just died what holding the home button already did. I'm missing something obvious here, I just know it!

Holding home button lets you select a running app to navigate to. Multi-window (if the app supports it) allows you to interact with 2 apps at once (use email client while a browser window is open).

This discussion has been closed.