As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hello! I am new here and this is a new project I am working on.

artofashartofash Freelance Illustrator/AnimatorBaltimoreRegistered User new member
edited December 2012 in Artist's Corner
7361080_orig.jpg

Working on a new project about a nursing home filled with old mythical beings. This first lil ol' guy is Harry(name probably going to change) the werewolf. I will post more soon! If you would like to see some more of my work my website is artofash.com.

-Ash

artofash on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ash, nice to see you over here!

You should post a couple more images, and maybe talk about what your goals are as an artist/who your influences are. That will help you get feedback and give the forum folk an Idea about your work and where you want to take it.

Crit wise, I think that your pallet is a little washed out on these guys. Either a splash of saturation or contrast may help separate these guys from the background, and help you define edges within the character. You can take that with a grain of salt though, I'm way out there with my colors.

Ether way, welcome to the AC!

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Image looks rad! Post more!

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    I'm cool with the muted colours, to be honest.

I like what I see. Give us some more!

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    personally I like the muted colours, lends to the atmosphere of 'depressing nursing home'

• Options
    artofashartofash Freelance Illustrator/Animator BaltimoreRegistered User new member
    1798407_orig.jpg
    Cute little old Minotaur. Sorry for taking so long to post something new, I've been pretty busy. Thanks for all of the feedback!

Iruka is right, I should explain more of my goals. I am interested in getting into the animation industry doing character designs or basically anything having to do with preproduction. My goal with this series is to come up with a preproduction project that would end in a hypothetical animation short film. I plan to have a series of characters, backgrounds, props, etc. that will help boost my portfolio in the right direction. I hope to get at least 3 pieces a week and eventually fully illustrated scenes.

• Options
    Cowboy CentaurCowboy Centaur Bullet Sponge Weston, MoRegistered User new member
    cool character designs! would like to see some backgrounds though, :)

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Incredibly depressing minotaur. Fabulous.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Yes? Oh. Okay. Carry on.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Really beautiful work artofash.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    RabbodirectRabbodirect Registered User new member
    These are fantastic looking! I'm really impressed with them. Would like to see backgrounds too just to see the world they live in

• Options
    ZenfarZenfar Registered User regular
    Wow a modern retirement home for mythical creatures that is one of the most original ideas I have ever heard of. Your artwork looks amazing! Good Luck!

• Options
    AndToBeLovedAndToBeLoved Registered User regular
    Haha, these characters are hilarious. I think your story concept is great, too.

11bkk10.jpg
  • Options
    artofashartofash Freelance Illustrator/Animator BaltimoreRegistered User new member
    So this is really just my Christmas card but Santa is mythical and old right? Haha Happy Holidays Everyone!!
    xmascard.jpg

• Options
    Nursing Home sketches so far. Will have more soon. I really want a vertical nursing home even though it's not at all feasible :(

4909855_orig.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really love the bottom one. The vertical ones are cool looking, but you'll probably start getting a Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends feel.

• Options
    9950307_orig.jpg

I was thinking that each character would have their own personalized room/house. This room is supposed to be for the vampire character I am working on.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Love this. That room is very cohesive. Everything about it belongs.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I love the safety rail and blood bag on the bed.

But should he not have some curtains? Bit risky without them.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Love everything I'm seeing so far.

• Options
    PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    I really love the colors. So warm and solid.

PA-Signature.gif
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    3 things. With the exception of the last of the building sketches, i think you will run into some scaling issues, by which I mean they appear to be the size of a medium house not a multiperson facility.

Also, and this is of course completely up to you, but this story, on the surface, is about mythological creatures in a retirement home. But the core element here is the incongruity between the fantastical and the mundane, the creatures and their setting. I think that if you make the facility more normal, more conventional, it will help sell this core concept.

Lastly, the book case in the corner of the room in that last drawing sticks out oddly to me because the walls bend but it doesnt warp with them.

Anyway, awesome stuff all around.