As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phall]ona - Game Over! Shadow Victory!

SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info BrokerRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Critical Failures
You place the disk into your game console, and settle back for the ride.

Upon the screen the Atlus logo appears, followed shortly by two smaller companies you’re less familiar with: SOE and INANTP.

In a high school computer lab, screens flicker to life. “PHALLONA” is written brightly on them. Two of them flicker again, revealing a man with a long nose and a woman with blonde hair. The power goes out outside the room, and it is then plunged into darkness. A man finishes yawning, the camera pulling out from his mouth. He closes a laptop screen, then lifts a gun to his head. Spiraling cards explode from the other side, the man frozen in the moment of execution. The shadow of a woman sits on the couch behind him.

“Anyone can change the world.” is written on the screen. Against a plain background, a boy and a girl stand back to back. Two tarot cards rotate slowly as they descend from the ceiling in front of either of them. Though they reach up to grasp them, they turn to dust. “Anyone” becomes “Everyone”. Turning to the camera the two are surrounded by people, a class photograph. Uncountable cards rotate down. The photo turns over, The World arcana. It twists down into the waiting hands of another. Person after person reaches out for their card, myriad forms rising up behind them as they seize it. The last reaches out and then contorts in pain. Someone much like them with yellow eyes takes the card as they fall.

Two hands are clasped. Both figures have their other hand behind their backs, tarot cards floating above them. “Trust is earned.” rotates above them into “Trust is learned.” The city behind them becomes shadowed and sinister. Breaking the handshake, they both grasp their cards. Above them powerful forms clash.

A man sits in jail. More and more bars contain him. The shadow he casts grows larger and larger. It breaks down the walls of his cell and pulls its blade from the ground. Computer screen sky blinks in and out. Someone types in “FIGHT EACH OTHER”. He sits at his keyboard sweating. Behind him stands the shadow of a woman. She places half of a mask upon her face. Multiple entities of itself spiral outwards, a flickering static figure appearing behind each one.

Students, storekeepers, teachers, mothers. Friendly faces pass by. The same boy and girl turn their heads slowly to look at each other, but look past one another. “You choose to be alone.” They reach slowly forward, their hands inches away. “You choose to be known.”

They turn their heads, and both wear half of the same mask. “You choose.”

cGeTW.jpg

Phallona is a phalla game for 60 players. Special thanks to @MrBlarney for all of his input and review!

Game Overview

This is a Phalla game, Penny Arcade Forum's version of the party game Mafia. This particular game is inspired by the Persona video game series, but knowledge of this series is not necessary to play in this game. This game will not spoil any of the events in any Persona games (and we ask that anyone who wishes to discuss game spoilers do so behind spoiler tags).

Voting

Each day, spread a rumour about the player you suspect of being a shadow in bold red. That player will be investigated by the Protagonist in the world of shadows and removed by the game.

Should there be a tie in the vote, then all tied players, plus the player tying the vote, will be eliminated.

Voting will close each day at 12 AM (Midnight) EST; any votes before the hour (x:59) will count, any votes on the hour and later (x:00) will not.

Day 1 is slated to end at midnight, Monday January 21st.

Orders

All orders must be submitted before vote close.

Signing Up

In addition, you may opt to suggest a name for the Protagonist in your signup post. The name with the most Agrees/Awesomes at the start of the game will be entered when the game prompts the Protagonist to be named.

Clarifications

Any questions about the general game rules may be made by highlighting the question in bold darkorange text. Answers will be posted in the thread and collected in the below section. Player-specific inquiries that are not addressed in the general rules may be asked via PM to the host.

In general, clarifications should be directed to SaberOverEasy and not INANTP.

Other Rules

Standard Phalla rules apply: no sharing of host-provided PMs via screenshots or direct quotation. However, information may be shared indirectly, such as through rephrasing. You may not add new players to pre-existing private conversations after the first message - start a new conversation instead. No anonymous contact is allowed. All messages must be traceable to a player in the game. Once you are eliminated, you may not make any more game conversation with players remaining in the game.

If any players create proboards for private communication or interesting conversations including more than two players, please send links for them to the hosts and add him as an admin.

Please include the hosts on all game PM's.

Special Rules

Social Links – The world of Phallona is defined by your connections. Each day, you may attempt to forge a new connection or make one of your previous connections stronger. Every night you may select a player to increase your social link with. If that player also selects you, your social link level will increase by one. Each social link level provides certain advantages to the players. The maximum social link level is 5.

Abilities – The shadows are all around you. Each night, you may use one of your persona powers on another player. Some abilities require the consent of the target. If you consent to having an ability used on you, include this in your orders by saying “I consent to playername's ability.”

Standard Villager PM:

You are a student at Murnau High.

Ever since reading Johann Marley’s novel you’ve had this indescribable feeling, as though there is a hidden part of you not even you can see. You drove it from your mind because it seemed as though nothing would come of it and focused on your daily life.

This all changed when you received an unsolicited email inviting you to check out www.velvetroom.com, and though you typically ignore such correspondence an unknown and hidden part of you urged you to investigate. The spinning card revealed itself to you, an arcana in tarot divinity. You had never given much thought to such a thing, but a strange air of importance seemed to possess this card.

Then you heard the voice.

Thou art I, and I am thou. From the sea of your soul it came forth. Your Persona.

PERSONA:
Name: Incubus
Arcana: Devil
Strong: Fire
Weak: Ice
Max Health: 9

ABILITIES:
Attack - Deal 1 physical damage to target player.
Agi - Deal 2 Fire damage to target player.

S. LINKS:
You do not begin the game with any Social Links.
You are a normal teenager. You may level one Social Link each day.

VICTORY CONDITION: Eliminate all threats to the village.

Clarifications

Each night you may use 1 ability and attempt to increase 1 social link with another player.

What happens to a social link's abilities if one of the two players involved in it dies?
When you up an S. Link you will receive information on any new abilities via PM. That will also include information on what will happen if your S. Link partner dies.

So, how do weaknesses/strengths work? Half/double damage? Yes

Order of Operations? Vote -> Abilities -> Social Links

All ability usage is anonymous unless otherwise specified. The only information provided will be your current life total.

Familiarity with the Persona series is not required and there are no spoilers. For those who want to investigate further, the wiki is here.

SaberOverEasy on

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Sign-ups:

7. Segatai
    18. 38th Doe
    24. Typhus733 Garret Dorrigan
    27. Bedlam
    45. Warban
    47. Gizzy
    49. Sir Fabulous
    56. Cheez
    58. Macallan

Reserve

Month 0

Month 1 - September
    Baidol, Gdon
    Langly, Yamatano-Orochi
    Heffling, Lachesis

Malkor, Nidhoggr - A Shadow

Month 2 - October

Gandalf_the_Crazed, Orthrus
    jdarksun, Mothman
    Munkus Beaver, Orobas - Christa Marley
    Megafrost, Throne
    Xenogears of Bore, Ganga

Rawkking Goodguy, Slime - Richard Duncan
    NeoToma, Sylph

Month 3 - November

GrimmyTOA, Cybele
    Enlightenedbum, Belial - Mr. John Gerstmann
    Smasher, Ose
    The_Anonymous, Jack Frost

Infidel, Dominion - a shadow
    Stever777, Thoth

Month 4 - December

AkimboLegs, Siegfried
    Invictus, Ongyo-Ki - Wise Student
    Lucedes, Shiisaa
    M.D., Cu Chulain
    TheRoadVirus, Pyro Jack
    Bliss101, Hariti - Friendly Student

Mill, Ganesha - Melpomene
    Pharezon, Queen Mab
    BradicusMaximus, Genbu

Month 5 - January

Assuran, Forneus
    Capfalcon, Saki Mitami
    Kime, Archangel
    MikeyCTS, Jinn
    MrTLicious, Fuu-ki - Edward Goethe
    tzeentchling, Titan

premium, Black Frost - Kurma
    CaptainPlanet82, Yatsufusa

Month 6 - February
    SLyM, Attis - Mature Student
    mi-go hunter, Fuu-ki - Jacob Goethe
    Kilnaga, Zouchouten
    blaze_zero, Thor

Anialos, Omoikane - a shadow

Month 7 - March

CesareB, Alraune
    ObiFett, Fortuna

Zay, Decarabia - a shadow
    Phyphor, Garuda

Month 8 - April

Zombie Hero, King Frost - Friendly Student
    Cythraul, Yatagarasu - Friendly Student
    Void Slayer, Unicorn
    Shalmelo, Berith
    Matev, Odin
    chamberlain, Oberon
    Blahmcblah, Triglav
    Retaba, Titania - Friendly Student

Final Day

SaberOverEasy on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I am here to record the events that transpire in the Compendium. Please consult my master for any inquiries.

liEt3nH.png
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Pre-emptive: I have no idea what I'm doing.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Fucking PERSONA? I !sign-up

Can someone give me a paragraph summary of what I should know about this game's setting?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Can someone give me a paragraph summary of what I should know about this game's setting?

ahahaha

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Sign

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    ObiFett wrote: »

ahahaha

This is...encouraging.

So I just act as though I'm playing a Burnage Phalla, then? :rotate:

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    I put a link to the wiki in the OP for you Gandalf.

You can think of this as a battle game with a few things added on to it if you'd like :)

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    i will regain my honor!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    That's a grudgin'

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Who wants to join the kendo team with me?

PSN SeGaTai
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Rawr

I need someone to... link with tonight. All night long.

Wink wink and such

Any takers?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    ME.

DONE

Also I propose the name 小傻子 just to make him have to copy and paste it and because it amuses me

Steam profile
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Who wants to be the Brosuke to my Brotagonist?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I put a link to the wiki in the OP for you Gandalf.

You can think of this as a battle game with a few things added on to it if you'd like :)

Note that while we will strive to avoid series spoilers in the thread, the wiki has no such guarantee. :P

liEt3nH.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    soy up

Langly on
    I propose that the protagonist be named butts

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    How crude

Steam profile
    Also i don't know whether to grudge matev for stealing my av shtick or to welcome him to the radical lifestyle

kime wrote: »
    DONE

Also I propose the name 小傻子 just to make him have to copy and paste it and because it amuses me

No way. I prefer 日本語 over 中国語.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Who wants to talk about voooooooooooooote analysis?

I have never played persona

Isn't it basically anime: the game: the Broadway musical

Megafrost wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    DONE

No way. I prefer 日本語 over 中国語.

Yeah but I don't know Japanese yet, so I work with what I've got :P

Steam profile
    edited January 2013
    The main character's name should be Chaz.

Langly on
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Sign

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    I'd recommend this for an entertaining introduction to persona 4.
    and now all your free time is gone

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !PHALLANO

OrokosPA.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Phalla?! PHALLA!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Now I face out I hold out
    I reach out to the truth of my life
    Seeking to seize the whole moment to now break away
    Oh God let me out Can you let me out
    Can you set me free from this dark inner world
    Save me now Last beat in the soul

• mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    I have never played this game, but it has anime characters. I'm in.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular

One of us! One of us!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Also i don't know whether to grudge matev for stealing my av shtick or to welcome him to the radical lifestyle

Welcome me? I never left. I needed a non Xmas pic and this was the 1st thing to jump out at me.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »

One of us! One of us!

I feel badass already!

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I should really finish playing this on my PS2 some day, but oh god, so much grinding...

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm I know nothing about the theme.
    That's never stopped me before

Any idea on what increasing our social links does? Do we make ourselves Lovers? If we can get the mafia to abstain killing for a few days we could potentially end the game on day 3.

Also will we know our life total?

If we level up our friendship and caring enough do we unlock carebear stare?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    Hmm I know nothing about the theme.
    That's never stopped me before

Any idea on what increasing our social links does? Do we make ourselves Lovers? If we can get the mafia to abstain killing for a few days we could potentially end the game on day 3.

Also will we know our life total?

If we level up our friendship and caring enough do we unlock carebear stare?

You will receive updates on your health total each night. All players have 9 health.

CD on carebears ;)