As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

...Especially when [Driving] a maniacal Toon vehicle.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    when i was younger, I used to love driving. I'd go over the speed limit by 10 or 15 and just zip zip zoom.

That all started to go away after my first fender bender. Now i wasnt doing anything bad here, I was stopped at an uncontrolled T intersection, wanting to turn left to head to the grocery store. I looked one way and then the other and then back to the left again. I did not see the giant fucking 1980s station wagon, for some reason, so I turned. I signaled and everything because I was a good driver. You know, other than somehow missing a fucking boat on wheels. Our front bumpers met, and my car was pretty dinged up (1970 ford pinto. i miss that car). But I was so shaken because it could have been worse. if I'd moved a little later I would have T-boned them. And they had an infant in the backseat.

I calmed down then. Until I went to Uni, then I got a bit more aggressive, but then something switched and I started to not like driving. The worst for me though was while I was living in Maine and had no money. My car wasn't registered or insured, my license had been suspended due to no insurace, and I couldn't get the car inspected. 100% completely and totally fucking illegal. The paranoia that seeps in when you HAVE to drive to get to work but you're driving an illegal car and you yourself are illegal? Holy fuck man, that does not go away.

I only just now started driving again, and it's been almost 4 years since I finally got caught with the illegalness of illegalness. I've lived in New Zealand for almost 2 years and only just started driving again.

Roundabouts, though they seem scary, are actually wonderful. its just a matter of knowing that some people are never going to signal.

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    I've only been in two accidents in my 15+ year driving career:

1) Hit a patch of black ice at the top of a hill and went into the ditch. I have yet to experience the sheer terror that is suddenly driving along and all of a sudden you feel like you're weightless. That's what driving on black ice with no control is like. You feel weightless. I resisted the urge to hit the brake and tried to ride it out, but I was head into oncoming traffic and the headlights were getting close. As soon as I started pumping on the brakes, I moved back onto the right side of the road, but I was now moving sideways and ended up in the ditch. I didn't feel too bad about it because over the course of the next 90 minutes waiting for a tow truck, 4 others hit that very same patch and also went into the ditch. One car even hit another car IN the ditch who had previously spun out. Crazy night, and it was only that one patch that had the black ice as far as I could tell.

2) Had someone pull a "lonelyahava" on me (sorry I'm really tickled that your story is right above this post and is pretty much verbatim what happened to me) at an intersection and while I still t-boned the person, I'd like to think my deft driving skills helped me avoid killing/maiming his passenger. I basically turned away at the last second and hit his car right behind the passenger seat.

As far roundabouts, I love 'em. People just don't know how to drive in them. SIGNAL YOUR EXITS/INTENT PEOPLE.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    lol not a problem

yeah the elderly couple in the car hit my driver side bumper. bent my car up bad enough that it was technically totaled (sadface i loved that pinto).

that's my only 'accident', i've had other incidents. like radiator overheating ( 1989 Plymouth Reliant. This was in 1999. Car was fine afterwards and was still running great when my dad finally sold it in 2004), and accidentally getting stuck on a telephone pole.

stop trying to figure that one out.

Same pinto, now the thing with my pinto was it had one of those rubber-like stripes down the side of the car, middle of the body kind of thing. Well I was parked in the church parking lot across from my best friend's house because his street was crazy narrow. So i was on my way home and I was turning right out of the parking lot and I cut the turn a little too close. The rubber on the side of my passenger side door got stuck on the round PVC casing that was protecting the wires on the telephone pole. You know what i'm talking about.

The car was absolutely completely and totally stuck. I could not reverse i could not drive forward. I was stuck.

To my never-ending shame and teenaged embarassment one of my towns bicycle cops was riding by on his 'beat'. He assessed the situation rapidly and put in a call to the station. While talking with me about the situation and being ultimately polite about it, the other 3 bicycle cops on duty all rode up to the scene. And the 4 of them, gentlemen all, picked my car up by the bumpers and moved it off the telephone pole.

And this is why I was always unfailingly nice to the cops in my hometown. because they could probably kill me with their fingertips.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    someone scared the shit out of me today - some idiot talking on a cell phone while driving a massive pickup.

I'm driving up to a 4 way stop, he is on the intersecting road to the right. He makes a left turn so that he is now coming towards me, except he keeps turning and almost swerves into me - turning away at the last second. I look at him, he is driving with one hand on the wheel talking on a cell phone.

• JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    I enjoy driving more than any other activity on earth. I like to drive fast and hard. I am also very safe and in twelve years of hard driving I have caused zero accidents, and was unable to avoid only one (caught behind a moron and in front of a moron). I have a copy of the road laws of Washington in my glove compartment and I study and practice my car handling and mechanics in a safe environment often. If it weren't for my CDL I would drive like this every day.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Wow I am not surprised that that man no longer has his license. Thats super dangerous. Even in this edited video he almost kills 3 people by the 2 minute mark (okay, it may be half way).

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've only had one collision with another driver, I was following a commercial truck and had been waiting until it was safe to pass him. He pulled off to the shoulder, and I go to pass. I realize just as i reach his cab that he is turning left and I have no option but to continue and hope for the best. He clipped the right rear corner of my car.

I don't know if he was cited, but I know I wasn't. Never saw him signal, though he claimed he did.

I've hit a few deer and even once got incredibly lucky with a minor moose collision. As in the only part of my car that got hit was a side mirror, and even that impact spun me completely around

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    So the city here has taken to painting the stop lights black. There is one road in particular that is actually two roads with two lanes of traffic each, all on one slab of pavement. In the middle of the city, so there are all kinds of cross streets.
    But with the black posts for the stoplights, at night you look down this road and all you can see is a mass of colored lights hanging in the air, with very little to judge how close or far away they are. There have been a LOT of accidents lately because drivers said they saw a green light and went, and then it turned out to be the green light three intersections down.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So you have black dot, yellow, green? From top to bottom?

Why the hell would they do that?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So the city here has taken to painting the stop lights black. There is one road in particular that is actually two roads with two lanes of traffic each, all on one slab of pavement. In the middle of the city, so there are all kinds of cross streets.
    But with the black posts for the stoplights, at night you look down this road and all you can see is a mass of colored lights hanging in the air, with very little to judge how close or far away they are. There have been a LOT of accidents lately because drivers said they saw a green light and went, and then it turned out to be the green light three intersections down.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    So you have black dot, yellow, green? From top to bottom?

Why the hell would they do that?

No. The yellow poles the lights hang from.
    Except they aren't yellow any more. They are black.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    apologies if this has been mentioned, but when you pull over to the shoulder and stop for an incoming Police/EMS/Fire Vehicle, IT IS NOT A FUCKING RACE TO GET BACK ON THE ROAD!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    apologies if this has been mentioned, but when you pull over to the shoulder and stop for an incoming Police/EMS/Fire Vehicle, IT IS NOT A FUCKING RACE TO GET BACK ON THE ROAD!

@Xaquin - did you see the story I posted here?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Yeah, it didn't get that bad in between exits on the highway. Although if things get bad very slowly, you might not realize how rough conditions actually are until something bad happens. But in general, if you can avoid driving on days like that, you should do it.

Sure it could. A white out can hit you really fast here in the north. You really have to watch out on cold overcast days because you just never know. It can go from relatively clear to blinding snow storm in mere moments.

The thing about driving in conditions like this is that over the years you recognize that some people just shouldn't be driving in adverse conditions at all. A single snowflake hits the ground and traffic grinds to a halt. It's rather infuriating when a 5 minute drive turns into a 25 minute drive just because there's white stuff falling from the sky.

Yes, you should drive according to conditions, but you shouldn't drive at walking speeds in light snow on plowed and salted roads.

steam_sig.png
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    So has anyone driven roundabouts in the snow? There are times when I've been making lefts in bad snow, and 1/2 way through the turn, there isn't any more turning, and the car just starts sliding off on a tangent. Thus I don't like double left turn lanes in the snow, a round about seems like it would a fucking nightmare.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

@Xaquin - did you see the story I posted here?

ahhh missed it

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So has anyone driven roundabouts in the snow? There are times when I've been making lefts in bad snow, and 1/2 way through the turn, there isn't any more turning, and the car just starts sliding off on a tangent. Thus I don't like double left turn lanes in the snow, a round about seems like it would a fucking nightmare.

It's called momentum.

• japanjapan Registered User regular

Not really. They sweep clear pretty fast.

Although yes, it is advisable to avoid entering a roundabout with someone to your right (which would be left, in the US, I'd imagine).

Driving pet peeves:

Left Lane Lolligaggers - Folks that just hang out there in the left lane doing the speed limit or under with no care in the world. It's called a "Passing Lane" for a reason. Move over when traffic comes up behind you. Do not force people to pass on the inside which is inherently dangerous. Worst is people who do it on a 3 lane highway.

Stupid Shoulder Shenanigans - You know the ones. The ones who don't merge into traffic until the lane ends, and then they drive on the shoulder a little bit to merge in. Now, don't get me wrong, I do the "wait until the last minute to merge thing" sometimes too, but driving on the shoulder looking for a place to cut in is not a good idea.

Roundabout Rookies - People who don't signal their exits on roundabouts, change lanes in the roundabouts, or due to their lack of experience, get totally freaked out at the entrance and wait until there is ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFICE VISIBLE ANYWHERE before proceeding.

Guess where I'm Going Gaffers - The folks who NEVER use their signal, or have their signal left on from the turn they made to get out of their driveway/subdivision. I'm keen on driver predictability, and this infuriates me. Also, the folks who upon realizing they're about to miss their exit will STREAK ACROSS 3 LANES OF TRAFFIC and just graze the Sand/Water barrels to make their turn rather than taking the next exit.

Unreasonable Road Residents - Not so much a driving thing but it ticks me off that in my parents' subdivision, it seems like 90% of the people have multiple car garages/driveways, and 90% of them choose to park on the street instead. This makes for rousing games of avoid all the cars, and "no YOU go first" with oncoming traffic because there's only room for one car to pass.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    One epidemic that I've been noticing a lot here is that I've started seeing about one car a week that has no brake lights.
    I don't know if this is world-wide, or just something stupid that's been happening here in Minnesota.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Yeah, it didn't get that bad in between exits on the highway. Although if things get bad very slowly, you might not realize how rough conditions actually are until something bad happens. But in general, if you can avoid driving on days like that, you should do it.

Sure it could. A white out can hit you really fast here in the north. You really have to watch out on cold overcast days because you just never know. It can go from relatively clear to blinding snow storm in mere moments.

The thing about driving in conditions like this is that over the years you recognize that some people just shouldn't be driving in adverse conditions at all. A single snowflake hits the ground and traffic grinds to a halt. It's rather infuriating when a 5 minute drive turns into a 25 minute drive just because there's white stuff falling from the sky.

Yes, you should drive according to conditions, but you shouldn't drive at walking speeds in light snow on plowed and salted roads.

I don't understand why people have a problem with the explanation. The dude isn't saying he was in one spot, and it started to snow, and within minutes there was 1ish feet of snow. What he's saying is that he was driving, and he passed from an area where it wasn't snowing, into an area where it had been snowing for a while. Happens all the time in seattle with rain. In the span of a mile or so (so about 1 minute of driving at 60 mph) it goes from mostly clear skies, to a fucking downpour. So he hits the snow area, takes his foot of the gas, starts decelerating, and flips on his camera. Only before he slows down to a reasonable level he hits the accident area. Seems totally reasonable.
    saint2e wrote: »
    Driving pet peeves:

Left Lane Lolligaggers - Folks that just hang out there in the left lane doing the speed limit or under with no care in the world. It's called a "Passing Lane" for a reason. Move over when traffic comes up behind you. Do not force people to pass on the inside which is inherently dangerous. Worst is people who do it on a 3 lane highway.

Stupid Shoulder Shenanigans - You know the ones. The ones who don't merge into traffic until the lane ends, and then they drive on the shoulder a little bit to merge in. Now, don't get me wrong, I do the "wait until the last minute to merge thing" sometimes too, but driving on the shoulder looking for a place to cut in is not a good idea.

Roundabout Rookies - People who don't signal their exits on roundabouts, change lanes in the roundabouts, or due to their lack of experience, get totally freaked out at the entrance and wait until there is ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFICE VISIBLE ANYWHERE before proceeding.

Guess where I'm Going Gaffers - The folks who NEVER use their signal, or have their signal left on from the turn they made to get out of their driveway/subdivision. I'm keen on driver predictability, and this infuriates me. Also, the folks who upon realizing they're about to miss their exit will STREAK ACROSS 3 LANES OF TRAFFIC and just graze the Sand/Water barrels to make their turn rather than taking the next exit.

Unreasonable Road Residents - Not so much a driving thing but it ticks me off that in my parents' subdivision, it seems like 90% of the people have multiple car garages/driveways, and 90% of them choose to park on the street instead. This makes for rousing games of avoid all the cars, and "no YOU go first" with oncoming traffic because there's only room for one car to pass.

I really hate this one. I was always taught to be in the in the most right hand lane you can, without having to slow down. Not that hard to understand, but Washingtonians are so bad at it, I probably do 80% of my passing on the right. Like literally there will be people going exactly the speed limit in the middle and left lane, but the right hand lane is clear. Just boggles my mind.

Washington drivers also have this extra infuriating habit where they'll just pace someone in the next lane. So you'll be on a 3 lane highway and there will be 3 dudes just pacing each other with no way to go around. It's so maddening. If you are driving the same speed as the cars in the lane to your right, then fucking change lanes.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    If you are driving the same speed as the cars in the lane to your right, then fucking change lanes.

Truth.

Addendum to my previous rants, I use cruise control a lot when I'm driving and try to avoid taking it off because I have a bit of a leadfoot. It really irks me when I go to pass someone and they speed up to match my speed or go faster. So I move over behind them AND THEY SLOW DOWN. I know this because I had cruise on the entire time.

I did this dance a lot when driving down to Florida last month.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    We've got a few roundabouts in this town, some are used for controlling speed in residential neighborhoods, and some are (poorly implemented) replacements for 5 way intersections. All of a week ago I made it a little less than 25% of the way around one of the residential ones before traction decided to take a snow day. I felt better once everyone I knew who had any cause to go down that street did the same thing at the same spot. Apparently it gets a bit polished.

On the subject of snow and roundabouts though, why do people suddenly lose all ability to stay on the road instead of driving over the curb and across the middle of the roundabout as soon as there's an even white layer? One of the roundabouts in town has what amounts to a ring of sidewalk (with the usual curb) around the center with some trees inside of that, and every time it snows there are tracks across that sidewalk within half an hour. There's always traffic in the circle too, as well as an assload of signs. I don't get it.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Addendum to my previous rants, I use cruise control a lot when I'm driving and try to avoid taking it off because I have a bit of a leadfoot. It really irks me when I go to pass someone and they speed up to match my speed or go faster. So I move over behind them AND THEY SLOW DOWN. I know this because I had cruise on the entire time.

I wish I could hear the internal conversations of the people that do this.

I also wish my mother was not such a horrendous driver. Pulling out of a restaurant last night, and mom is gabbing at me instead of watching where the fuck she is driving. Pulls right out of the parking lot into the middle of the island highway without looking until she's already in a position to get t-boned, gasps because - go figure - people other than her are using the road, and mashes the accelerator to get into the far lane and narrowly avoid a collision. Does this cause her to accrue some awareness of how badly she drives? Nah. It's those other assholes that clearly were at fault because 'well obviously THEY weren't watching what was happening in front of them!'

With Love and Courage
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    There's a breed of driver I really, truly hate in my town: The sign-illiterate. Yield, No Left Turn, Lane Ends... if it's a sign, they don't bother fucking reading it.

Example: There's a major thoroughfare that, for about 40 blocks going through the main business district, is five lanes with no dividers or islands. The center lane is used as a third lane for west-bound travelers most of the time, but for a couple hours every day its given to the eastbound lanes for morning rush hour.

All up and down this stretch of road, there are no left turns. None. Zero. There are "right turn here to turn left at an adjacent stop light" turnoffs, but no left turns off the road itself. Every block has a big yellow "No Left Turn" sign.

And yet, inevitably, every day I see at least one shithead stop in that lane to attempt a left turn across heavy eastbound traffic, which basically stops every car in that center lane. Because who reads signs, really?

Even worse is when someone traveling eastbound drives into the fucking westbound center lane because they think it's a left turn lane. I swear, every time I see that my asshole cliches up because I'm certain I'm about to witness a fatal head-on crash.

Needless to say, I avoid that center lane for that stretch of road like the goddamn plague.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    I enjoy driving more than any other activity on earth. I like to drive fast and hard. I am also very safe and in twelve years of hard driving I have caused zero accidents, and was unable to avoid only one (caught behind a moron and in front of a moron). I have a copy of the road laws of Washington in my glove compartment and I study and practice my car handling and mechanics in a safe environment often. If it weren't for my CDL I would drive like this every day.

I missed this one.

If you drive 'hard and fast' and just think that you are so skilled compared to all of those 'Sunday drivers' out there, so your speed doesn't matter, you are a fatality waiting to happen. Roads in town are not fucking raceway tracks, conventional vehicles do not handle collisions in the same way that purpose-built racing vehicles do, and you are not as spectacularly awesome at driving as you think you are. If you were, you wouldn't need to tell everyone about it.

With Love and Courage
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    There's a breed of driver I really, truly hate in my town: The sign-illiterate. Yield, No Left Turn, Lane Ends... if it's a sign, they don't bother fucking reading it.

Example: There's a major thoroughfare that, for about 40 blocks going through the main business district, is five lanes with no dividers or islands. The center lane is used as a third lane for west-bound travelers most of the time, but for a couple hours every day its given to the eastbound lanes for morning rush hour.

All up and down this stretch of road, there are no left turns. None. Zero. There are "right turn here to turn left at an adjacent stop light" turnoffs, but no left turns off the road itself. Every block has a big yellow "No Left Turn" sign.

And yet, inevitably, every day I see at least one shithead stop in that lane to attempt a left turn across heavy eastbound traffic, which basically stops every car in that center lane. Because who reads signs, really?

Even worse is when someone traveling eastbound drives into the fucking westbound center lane because they think it's a left turn lane. I swear, every time I see that my asshole cliches up because I'm certain I'm about to witness a fatal head-on crash.

Needless to say, I avoid that center lane for that stretch of road like the goddamn plague.

Wait, how the fuck do they mark a direction switching lane that has no dividers or anything? That seems like a really bad idea.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Wait, how the fuck do they mark a direction switching lane that has no dividers or anything? That seems like a really bad idea.

A series of lit green arrows and red x's hanging over the street every block or so. It's not the most intuitive system (or intuitive at all, really) , but someone obviously thought it worked so it remains.

ygPIJ.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    A series of lit green arrows and red x's hanging over the street every block or so. It's not the most intuitive system (or intuitive at all, really) , but someone obviously thought it worked so it remains.

That sounds bad.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Best one I ever saw was several miles of traffic backed up on a 6-lane highway because two cars in the left & middle lanes were precisely pacing each other. Over the course of 15 minutes I slowly advanced until I was able to go around them in the right lane. Then I noticed that their windows were down.

They were talking to each other.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Assuming people read signs, it works just fine. Now, which universe the people who made that assumption were living in, I'd love to know.

Since the thread seems to be on pet peeves at the moment:
    Right of way at uncontrolled intersections is really easy around here. The first person to arrive has right of way. If two people arrive together, yield to the person on your right. Stopping to yield to someone who is half a block away is not needed. Deciding they're taking too long and going right as they get there is asking to get hit. Failing to properly work out who will get there first and either accelerating such that you get there at the same time they enter the intersection or braking such that you end up stopped in the middle of the intersection in front of them is also asking to get hit.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Super pet peeve.
    I cannot tell you how many times I've narrowly avoided hitting someone that was doing something stupid, only to see that they had clearly been recently hit in the exact same spot I would have hit them if I had been paying slightly less attention.

Jesus people, learn from your mistakes.

BSoB on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Is this Dodge in Omaha?

If not, they have this there too and it sucks. I hated driving in that town.

Is this Dodge in Omaha?

If not, they have this there too and it sucks. I hated driving in that town.

Ding ding ding

It's always some asshole trying to make a left turn into Popeyes or Burger King right in the middle of evening rush hour, too.

ygPIJ.gif
    BSoB wrote: »
    Super pet peeve.
    I cannot tell you how many times I've narrowly avoided hitting someone that was doing something stupid, only to see that they had clearly been recently hit in the exact same spot I would have hit them if I had been paying slightly less attention.

I have a family member who has been repeatedly rear-ended, because he habitually makes sudden stops and decelerations.

He doesn't feel like he has any responsibility to change his behavior, because you're never found at-fault for being rear-ended.

Super pet peeve.

I have a family member who has been repeatedly rear-ended, because he habitually makes sudden stops and decelerations.

He doesn't feel like he has any responsibility to change his behavior, because you're never found at-fault for being rear-ended.

This infuriates me.

banner_160x60_01.gif

One thing that was nice about Alberta that I didn't have a full appreciation of until I moved away is the provincial laws about dangerous driving:

Basically, the police establish whether or not you did everything you reasonably could to avoid the collision. If you didn't? Fuck you, and fuck whether or not you had 'the right of way', you're considered at least partly at fault.

With Love and Courage
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

That sounds bad.

Birmingham (the UK one, not the other one) has this system for the the A38(M). It's three lanes in either direction, with a seventh in the middle in which the direction of travel is towards the city centre in the morning, and out of it in the evening. No central reservation, 70mph speed limit.

Of course, being effectively a motorway, it has no junctions, only slip roads.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Super pet peeve.

is his back/spine/whatever not all fucked from this?

you would think that would be motivation enough. But I understand that people are stupid, so

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The only time I come close to crashing is when I was driving 65 mph. The guy infront of my did a quick lane change, to reveal a fucking idiot driving at like 30 mph. Had to slam on my brakes to not rear end that idiot.

Honestly I love driving in white out conditions and other hazardous conditions. Cause, frankly, everyone is that much more cautious and aware of their surroundings.

Casually Hardcore on