As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Youtube Thread]: Now Easier to Browse Than the Real Youtube

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    How It Should Have Ended : Terminator

http://youtu.be/bBBw9E2Q_aY

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the whole decoy spider thing is cool

anyone know how to get puke off a laptop

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Do you have a reason to think it's theft and not some kind of agreement?

4SMZq.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    ibvQppV26Rooqp.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    haha, that's so shitty

I hope he can get a chunk of that big time Glee money out of this

4SMZq.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, I figured Fox would have paid off coulton and given him an arrangement credit but NOPE.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/01/18/foxs-glee-appears-to-have-copie-off-jonathan-coultons-arrangement-of-baby-got-back/
    On an upcoming episode, characters sing a smoothed-out version of Sir Mix-A-Lot’s classic “Baby Got Back”—a version that is, nearly note-for-note, the exact same arrangement that Jonathan Coulton released back in 2005.

As one might expect, Coulton’s not exactly stoked about it. He says the show never even contacted him, and even tweeted that he’s pretty sure Glee actually used parts of his original recording (though he’s still looking for audio experts to prove that assertion). So far, there’s been no comment from Glee’s producers, but the evidence is pretty damning.

that is unbelievable. They even kept the lyric "Johnny C's in trouble"

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah that is goddamn ridiculous

I was expecting it to be a "Oh okay these sound pretty similar" but holy shit no those are the same damn song

CYpGAPn.png
  • ubuntuubuntu Registered User regular
    But since it is a cover already, would he even be able to bring a law suit against them?

I would think so, since he arranged all of the music for his version and added some of his own lyrics which Glee also used.

CYpGAPn.png
    yeah, it's not just a cover

it's a whole new arrangement and melody

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    That is kind of a grey area.

Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.

• ubuntuubuntu Registered User regular
    Well if that is the case, Fox has good lawyers, if I were the dude who got ripped off by Glee, I would sue them for as much as I could get.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was expecting "alright, it's an acoustic cover so I kinda see it" but literally the moment I clicked play it was just painstakingly obviously JoCo's version

Blankzilla wrote: »

If you get them synced just right

it just sounds like a strangely mixed song

it is precisely the same

same key, exactly the same tempo

it's unbelievable.

#pipe wrote: »

Arrangements don't really count for much. Although if they do figure out the used some of his audio he could be eligible for performance rights.
    Would the fact that they use "Johnny C's in trouble" despite the original lyric being "Mixalot's in trouble" help his case at all.

I mean it is the dude's name.

CYpGAPn.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    The glee "version" is up on itunes Sweeden now

zerzhul on

Would the fact that they use "Johnny C's in trouble" despite the original lyric being "Mixalot's in trouble" help his case at all.

Not really, even with small lyrical changes it still counts as a cover. Mix-a-Lot is entitled to a songwriting credit and royalties (or whoever owns the royalties to that song), and it is good form to credit the arrangement, but they're usually not entitled to any royalty.

I might be wrong on this, I am not a copyright lawyer (thank god) I am basing this information off my history as a working/recording musician

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Media companies:

Piracy is bad!

Then they pull this shit, grr, makes me angry. At the very least, they could have given Coulton credit. I mean, this guy (at least used to) write songs for free (except the Portal ones), so I'd imagine he'd settle with just credit. They couldn't even do that.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Elders react to Happy Tree Friends

Altered the url to stop embedding, becasue the preview image is NSFW (as is much of the video.)

I wouldn't normally post HTF, but their reactions to it are hilarious.

h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAT5su_AhDQ

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i was never a fan of happy tree friends, i never got why maiming care bear knockoffs was so funny

most of that shit just makes me kinda queasy...

edited January 2013
    Yeah, I feel the same way. But I enjoy watching others watch it, apparently.

Also, a guy has a conversation with himself from 20 years ago.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGAQrEUaeU

Goatmon on

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Flattop is one of the guys who, when I watched them in videos I downloaded a long long time ago, got me into popping in a huge way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCz86qY4udk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ZA3X01Qjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lly_AEqepU4

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    And if you're only gonna watch one, watch the first one.

b1ehrMM.gif
    edited January 2013
    Everything is better with Muppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SsYyTUu50

Goatmon on

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Yeah, I needed another reason to hate Glee, I had been growing kind of apathetic to it at this point.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Everything is better with Muppets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SsYyTUu50

Yo real talk Forgetting Sarah Marshall owns bones

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular

If you get them synced just right

it just sounds like a strangely mixed song

it is precisely the same

same key, exactly the same tempo

it's unbelievable.

Every

single

note

is the same. Like you can imagine them in the studio, and someone does a slightly different intonation on one line, and the producer just rips his headphones off and hurls them at the ground.

"NO! NO! NO! EXACTLY like the JoCo version! EXACTLY! We are not COPYING him, we are BECOMING him! Videodrome! Praise the new flesh! Videodrome! Once more from the top."

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    and now for something completely different

http://youtu.be/1pL1FC91HPo
    edit: no politics today

RoyceSraphim on

Not really, even with small lyrical changes it still counts as a cover. Mix-a-Lot is entitled to a songwriting credit and royalties (or whoever owns the royalties to that song), and it is good form to credit the arrangement, but they're usually not entitled to any royalty.

I might be wrong on this, I am not a copyright lawyer (thank god) I am basing this information off my history as a working/recording musician

While I don't know the legality of any of this, I really really doubt they can legally get away with selling the song on iTunes without even crediting Coulton for the cover.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Did his gun fuck up or what?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its amazing that the gun jammed

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21103987

Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said the attacker tried to fire two shots but "most likely the gun misfired".

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    he was using some sort of gas gun
    that was bonkers

edited January 2013

Centipede Damascus on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    holy fuck

for a brief moment I thought I was about to watch a guy get shot in the head

Instead I watched a video of a savage beating (but not an undeserved one)

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Goatmon wrote: »

While I don't know the legality of any of this, I really really doubt they can legally get away with selling the song on iTunes without even crediting Coulton for the cover.

They probably just won't offer it as a single in the US, then. I'm not sure what the rules are with selling it on an international iTunes site. It's not in the US store.

Also, that assassination attempt video was bizarre and shocking. Woah. I love that the guy had the presence of mind to smack the gun away when it misfired. I think I would have been stuck standing there in a panic at that point.

N1tSt4lker on
This discussion has been closed.