As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Barebones [chat]

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    I saw one of these pull up:

ArmA2OA-2012-11-12-08-49-51-02.jpg

And I was like "Hey, hey you guys in the car, friendly?"

They stopped and three dudes got out of the car armed with hatchets and came running at me

I was unarmed and I was like "N-no! Stop! Hey, I'm unarmed!" and they got closer and I just ran

they gave up after they drew some zombie aggro, running back to their car

but I am pretty sure that was a cannibal bandit gang

I was freshly spawned, I didn't have any weapons or items

which means they wanted my flesh

D:

I am interested in this.

do you have DayZ commander? you can download DayZ 2017 directly through it, installs easy, there's a few servers up right now including a UK one which shouldn't be too bad for your European nancypipe internet

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Going here for lunch. I had the cuban last time I went, it was good. Going to try something different every visit.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i think if i played dayz again i would only want to play on a private hive

hackers are what made me quit the game

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Going here for lunch. I had the cuban last time I went, it was good. Going to try something different every visit.

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    sc, this boyinaband video is awesome.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

You don't belong in a boardroom unless you've had at least three bypass surgeries.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Oh god cubans are so delicious.

My lunch is going to be a salad. I am trying to hate you to death right now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

I have no clue but spinach on burgers is great.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    5282ccadd6f9888f0f57160a578665a0.png

• Options

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

You don't belong in a boardroom unless you've had at least three bypass surgeries.

Now that I think of it, are boardrooms even really a thing?

I don't think I've ever worked for a company that's actually had a room whose primary purpose is for a small group of important people to meet.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

I don't think I've ever worked for a company that's actually had a room whose primary purpose is for a small group of important people to meet.

u r bad at corporation

pls head to hr for reprocesing

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

All mine have, but we have always just treated it as a glorified meeting room that the board has priority

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    I actually have to set up a temporary boardroom in February for our board. They only meet here once a year.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pea Essen

Pea Essen y u stil dwn

Pea Essen pls

• Options
    Alright off to lunch. I'll take pictures to make Mazzyx hateface

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    8390033709_77d3a66a3f_c.jpg

Needs sunglasses.

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    i think if i played dayz again i would only want to play on a private hive

hackers are what made me quit the game

play on the SE++ server bro

private hive, good moderating

good times, good times

although don't get too attached to anything you do this weekened, we're switching to Namalsk on monday

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'm so thoughtful right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn6i3MvKrVk

• Options

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

working in corporate security I have seen many, many many boardrooms and meeting rooms whose only purpose is for a bunch of people to sit around a table and talk

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Is that Omertà game going to be cool?

Also thank you for accenting the word for me, iPhone. I hope it is correct.

• Options
    desc wrote: »

First time I heard of it was in my gog news letter.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and two fifth-row center seats for Nick Offerman in Seattle in March?
    This guy!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

First time I heard of it was in my gog news letter.

Steam was showing off videos a month or so back and it was on their upcoming reel.

I am wary, but then iso turn based tactical ...

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

All mine have, but we have always just treated it as a glorified meeting room that the board has priority

Same.

The one in our current office is quite nice, but the effect is somewhat marred by the fact that the microphone for the videoconferencing gear hangs down by its own cable, which is secured to the ceiling with duct tape.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Most of the offices I've worked in have had boardrooms.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2013

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

working in corporate security I have seen many, many many boardrooms and meeting rooms whose only purpose is for a bunch of people to sit around a table and talk

Well, yeah. I'm not denying the existence of conference of conference rooms. We have a whole floor of nothing but nice conference rooms. I'm talking specifically about "Boardrooms" rooms whose only purpose is for the board to sit around a table and talk.

Looking at the floorplans, it appears that we actually do have a conference room attached to the CEO's office which may as well be a board room considering the only people with access to that area of the floor are SUPER IMPORTANT or in a role where they aren't likely to book a room anyway.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    drip drip drip!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned, the boardroom is basically the meeting room with the nicest chairs.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    drip drip drip!

Is that the blood of patriots?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    drip drip drip!

no

is spool's faucet, which he left a little bit on

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

Well, yeah. I'm not denying the existence of conference of conference rooms. We have a whole floor of nothing but nice conference rooms. I'm talking specifically about "Boardrooms" rooms whose only purpose is for the board to sit around a table and talk.

Looking at the floorplans, it appears that we actually do have a conference room attached to the CEO's office which may as well be a board room considering the only people with access to that area of the floor are SUPER IMPORTANT or in a role where they aren't likely to book a room anyway.

Yep, both of my last two employers have had "The Boardroom". The chairs are crazy awesome, the table is big and expensive, and the video conferencing / presentation system is freakin' state of the art (Well, at least for the first few years after it is built). I always hated having to work on the boardroom systems. If there was a meeting going on and someone had a problem throwing their laptop image up on the screen I'd get the call. It was usually pretty intimidating.

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    4 day weekend. not sure what I should do with myself.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dis is interestin

about da new consolez

they certainly poop on da wiiu tho i guess thats xpected
    Both the next generation PlayStation - and its Xbox competitor - feature eight-core CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz according to sources trusted by Digital Foundry. The main processor architecture driving both consoles is said to be derived the new "Jaguar" technology currently in development by Intel's arch-rival, AMD. These are low-power processor cores designed for the entry-level laptop and tablet market, offering an excellent ratio between power consumption and performance. The PC Jaguar products are set to ship later this year in a quad-core configuration - next-gen consoles see the core count double with some customisations added to the overall design.

Married to the eight-core processor, Orbis also features Radeon HD graphics hardware. We've previously suggested that AMD's mobile "Pitcairn" design - the Radeon 7970M - could be a strong basis for a next-gen console graphics core in terms of power consumption and die-size. Running at 850MHz and featuring 20 of AMD's "Graphics Core Next" compute units, our information suggests that Orbis shaves off 10 per cent of that number, offering up 18 CUs in total, and sees a mild downclock to 800MHz. Incorporated into a design dedicated to cutting-edge visuals and gameplay, this hardware has some serious potential.

It is perhaps more than coincidence that these specs offer up the 1.84 teraflops metric for the Orbis GPU that was mooted yesterday, assuming that the figure is calculated in the same way that it is for AMD's current "Graphics Core Next" range of products. At this time we cannot confirm the make-up of the Durango graphics hardware - rumours have circulated for quite some time that it is some way behind Orbis, but equally there has been the suggestion that the GPU itself is supplemented by additional task-specific hardware. We could not confirm this, but an ex-Microsoft staffer with a prior relationship with the Xbox team says that two of these modules are graphics-related.

PlayStation Orbis: Spec highlights
    Distilled down to the fundamentals, these are the details we can share about the technological make-up of the next generation PlayStation.
    CPU: Eight-core AMD processor running at 1.6GHz
    Graphics core: Radeon HD hardware, 18 compute units at 800MHz
    Additional hardware: GPU-like Compute module, some resources reserved by the OS
    System-on-chip codename: Liverpool
    Memory: 4GB GDDR5, 512MB reserved by the OS

Previous rumours have suggested that Orbis runs its CPU cores along with some graphics hardware inside a standalone, custom AMD Fusion core with a separate, discrete GPU. Our sources suggest otherwise - all of these elements are embedded into the same piece of silicon, and we can confirm that the internal codename for the processor is indeed "Liverpool", as was mooted some time ago. Sony does have some form here for pushing the envelope - PlayStation Vita represents the only mobile GPU processor that combined quad-core ARM Cortex A9s with the PowerVR SGX543 MP4. Even on the power-hungry iPad 3, Apple stuck with dual-core CPU architecture at the same 45nm fabrication node.

The news that so much processing power is packed onto a single processor is highly significant to the point where credibility could be stretched somewhat. However, helping to explain matters is the make-up of AMD's Jaguar tech - each core occupies just 3.1mm2 of die-space at the 28nm fabrication standard. Factor in L2 cache, and the overall CPU component could be as little as 75-80mm2 in total. That's in contrast to the 235mm2 of the launch PS3's Cell processor and the 240mm2 of the Emotion Engine chip inside the original PlayStation 2 - neither of which factored in the separate graphics hardware, which in both cases was even larger. By our reckoning, the more efficient eight-core set-up still leaves plenty of space for integrating the main GPU onto the same die, with space to spare. This offers up significant production cost savings and brings down overall power consumption.

We also have hard data on Orbis's memory set-up. It features 4GB of GDDR5 - the ultra-fast RAM that typically ships with the latest PC graphics cards - with 512MB reserved for the operating system. This is in stark contrast to the much slower DDR3 that Durango will almost certainly ship with. Microsoft looks set to be using an offshoot of eDRAM technology connected to the graphics core to offset the bandwidth issues the use of DDR3 incurs. Volume of RAM is the key element in Durango's favour - there'll be 8GB in total, with a significant amount (two sources we've spoken to suggest 3GB in total) reserved for the OS.

There'll be a relatively high CPU overhead too, with potentially two cores reserved for the customisable apps Microsoft wants to run in parallel with gameplay. Orbis has no such ambitions and may power past the new Xbox simply because it focuses its resources on out-and-out games power. There's always the possibility that Microsoft has looked at the prior success of Nintendo and its own Kinect and come to the conclusion that chasing after the maximum in raw horsepower isn't the way to win the next console war.

While Durango continues to hoard many of its secrets, we now have a very good idea of the basic architectural outline of the next-gen PlayStation. So the question is, what sort of performance ballpark are we talking about here? In our Radeon 7970M review, we ran Battlefield 3 on medium settings, and Crysis 2 likewise on its very high preset - both at the magical 1080p60. With some frame-rate drops we could ramp that up to high and extreme respectively for a perfectly playable, visually arresting experience. In our tests the Radeon GPU ran in concert with a 2.3GHz Intel quad-core CPU; bearing in mind the firm's domination over AMD in single-thread performance, not to mention the Turbo Boost technology that automatically overclocks the CPU to thermal limits, we reckon this is a fairly good ballpark comparison to an eight-core AMD CPU (primarily aimed at entry level markets, remember) running at a relatively low clock speed.

Of course, these ballpark tests are not the be-all-and-end-all of next-gen power - let's not forget that the new consoles are dedicated games machines gifted with a host of advantages over PC hardware. Factor out the overhead of the Windows OS, introduce ever-evolving development tools written for a fixed platform, and consider the performance advantages of a dedicated design - particularly the fast interconnects between CPU, GPU and RAM. What we have here is hardware that easily punches above its weight compared to performance couched purely in PC terms. It's a state of affairs borne out by both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3: by 2007, PC hardware had already moved significantly beyond the raw horsepower offered by current-gen consoles, yet games like God of War 3, Halo 4 and Uncharted 3 have extracted visual performance that could only have been dreamed of back then. Based on what we know about the next-gen consoles, there's little reason why history can't repeat itself.

That said, the AMD connection that defines both Durango and Orbis confirms that both consoles are much closer in design to gaming PCs than their predecessors, which may result in stronger ports to the computer format, not to mention the upcoming Steam Box - a piece of hardware free to evolve and grow more powerful year upon year in a way that Sony and Microsoft's boxes can't. And surely Valve must be looking at these specs with perhaps a little relief - AMD's CPU architecture is designed with power efficiency in mind, and in pure performance terms, even an eight-core set-up should be comfortably out-performed by a fast, modern desktop Intel quad-core processor. In developing and optimising next-gen titles for the lower power console CPUs, it would be richly ironic if PC owners reaped the benefits...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    drip drip drip!

The Blood of Heroes

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    hey neat, it's double XP this weekend for Mechwarrior Online

in other news, I think I need to tear down the wooden longhouse I started building in minecraft last night and start over. I think the inability to put things at an angle is going to make my original idea impossible. Think I'm going to go for something more like a bronze age Minoan look but in wood.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

BOARDROOM BURGER, Y?
    O_o

Yeah, the "boardroom" usually just means "the conference room in the middle of the floorplan with the really nice chairs and the ceiling-mounted projector"

This discussion has been closed.