As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Barebones [chat]

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Microsoft again not focusing on beating sony in horsepower is a good decision I think

Sony focusing first and foremost on number of polygons they can push is a bizarre decision

Sony is in a really shitty financial position right now. They cannot affort to go with a loss-leader strategy on their console. So I think they need to have at least some higher numbers on paper to justify what I expect to be a much higher sticker price for the console.

I think it's interesting that both the PS2/Xbox and PS3/360 launches somewhat coincided with the launch of a new media format (DVD and blu-ray/hd-dvd) which also helped drive sales of the consoles. They won't have that bump to rely on this next generation.

I dunno that it's so much interesting as it was completely intentional.

Didn't PS3 going Blu-Ray help seal the coffin on HD-DVD? I think I remember that being a thing.

Sorry, meant interesting in a "I wonder how it's going to play out this time" way. But yeah, making the PS3 play blu-rays out of the box while the HD-DVD drive was a $200 add-on for the 360 sealed its fate pretty much.

nibXTE7.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Mostly I'd like to play something again that features a character I give a shit about.
    Have you played Alpha Protocol?

Are you capable of giving a shit about an American spy?

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I'll let ya know when I'm in, desc.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'd hate to be involved in the production of glee in any respect

I would happily produce Lea Michele

ifyaknowwhatimean

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »

ifyaknowwhatimean

You mean you like J.A.P.s, right?

nibXTE7.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

ifyaknowwhatimean

Sleep with her mother and be her father?

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Back. Went back and spoilered that image. Had no idea it was so huge.
    Watching those folks make all those dishes using a fucking sandwich shop treadmill oven is a sight though.

Bless your heart.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Mostly I'd like to play something again that features a character I give a shit about.

Hmmm. Maybe.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

ifyaknowwhatimean

You mean you like J.A.P.s, right?

Oh gosh no, it's purely a physical thing.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thoma are you guys part of the PA cabal or do you have your own thing going?

4 hours left on this install c'mooooon

The PA Templar Cabal appears to have a leader who doesn't play. So I made a chat one for it.

What if you're a dragon :c

Step 1: Remove pants from head.
    Step 2: Go to the barbershop and get the Sepheroth head spikes turned into a proper haircut.
    Step 3: Join the Templars.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    uuuuuuurrrrrgrh i over attttttteee

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Hey Thom Dragon serves a valuable function

it prunes the 14 year olds away from the real factions

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Must. Stop. Crafting. Mines.

NEVAR!

I think I'm gonna tear down and restart on the house I started last night. Just not working out how I hoped.

Put a pressure plate on the floor, trap a sheep inside, and connect it by redstone to a machine that will dump lava on the roof.

This is how you earn style points in minecraft.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    How many books would I require to play a game of D & D if I had never played a game of D & D before?

Oh brilliant
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Hmmm. Maybe.
    It is a deeply flawed game, but the plot and dialogue are very well done.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Riemann, I'm kind of drawing a blank as to making a map with clickable states. That would be a lot more impressive than a simple menu, right?

I would think so yeah since I would assume a drop down menu would just involve populating an existing UI control with data wheras the map would need custom rendering code.

Yeah, but the problem is, I don't know how to do custom rendering. I'm not even really sure where to start. Google hasn't been all that helpful.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    How many books would I require to play a game of D & D if I had never played a game of D & D before?

You can get the starter boxes for like 30-35 bucks, both Pathfinder and 4th Edition. After you play through these (a few sessions worth of material), you'll have to plunk down on the full books. 4th is going to be the three core (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual for $100) and Pathfinder (Core Rulebook and Bestiary, also $100; the GameMaster's Guide is great, but you don't need it per se, especially if you're just starting out).

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Local news posted an article about the TSA removing the body scanners and the side photo is someone being scanned
    You can totally see their penis.
    LOL

Bless your heart.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    All right! If the current download speed remains I'll be ready to play with you guys by this time tomorrow.

....yeah.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Alpha Protocol is fucking fantastic.

The best moment (funny moment spoiler, nothing to do with plot)
    When the ice cream cover shop guy scratches his head with the scoop next to moldy ice cream and you can shoot him dead and be like OH MY GOD MINA HE PROVOKED ME

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

The PA Templar Cabal appears to have a leader who doesn't play. So I made a chat one for it.

Step 2: Go to the barbershop and get the Sepheroth head spikes turned into a proper haircut.

What if you're an Illuminatti?

Deebaser on
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I think my roommate is making "going 'home' every weekend" a thing he does.

Which really doesn't affect me because I rarely plan to be here on weekends either.

Shivahn wrote: »
    All right! If the current download speed remains I'll be ready to play with you guys by this time tomorrow.

....yeah.

i will teach you to fight demons

come under my wing you little scrublet

i will nurture you into a mighty scrublord

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    @thanatos

i am nearly finished with fc3 so i think i am going to start AC3 on monday

i'll let you know how it goes! how did you like Rev? I thought it was good but I think you could tell that it started out as an expansion (which i believe was the case)

other than that i still have to play blands2 but i think that can wait until after ac3.

919UOwT.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Hmmm. Maybe.

Yeah. Spec into pistols/stealth for Easy Mode.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Whoever suggested I go through Steam for STO (I wanna say @Wazilla?)

Good call!

Lh96QHG.png
    Alpha Protocol is fucking fantastic.

The best moment (funny moment spoiler, nothing to do with plot)
    When the ice cream cover shop guy scratches his head with the scoop next to moldy ice cream and you can shoot him dead and be like OH MY GOD MINA HE PROVOKED ME

Sterling Archer moment

Love it

Even more is how it comes back to bite you later on

• japanjapan Registered User regular

Hmmm. Maybe.

I'm kind of in the mood for something with decent characterisation and the ability to mould the character in terms of personality. I could probably put up with gameplay flaws so I might give it a shot.

Also it appears to be about £8 so that counts in its favour.

@Dark Raven X if you do spring for the beginner boxes, the Pathfinder box has far more goodies in it, but 4th is probably a better game. Pick whichever one you like the aesthetic of more and just roll with it. If your group like the roleplaying experience, you can explore other games that suit your needs better.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

What if you're an Illuminatti?

Step 1: Deal with your coke habit.
    Step 2: Stop speaking nonsense.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Hmmm. Maybe.

I'm kind of in the mood for something with decent characterisation and the ability to mould the character in terms of personality. I could probably put up with gameplay flaws so I might give it a shot.

Also it appears to be about £8 so that counts in its favour.

If that's what you want, then you'll like AP.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

But @elldren is a dragon and I wanted to be cool like her.

Now I'm 11 hours into my orientalist nonsense. :c

I really like Alpha Protocol's "you have to make a choice quickly" thing

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Whoever suggested I go through Steam for STO (I wanna say @Wazilla?)

Good call!

I've never played STO, but yes, I would have recommended Steam! Because Steam is God-King

Psn:wazukki
    Steam is mother. Steam is father.

But @elldren is a dragon and I wanted to be cool like her.

Now I'm 11 hours into my orientalist nonsense. :c

Look, not all Dragon are terrible. Just most of them.

edited January 2013
    Vanguard wrote: »

You can get the starter boxes for like 30-35 bucks, both Pathfinder and 4th Edition. After you play through these (a few sessions worth of material), you'll have to plunk down on the full books. 4th is going to be the three core (Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual for $100) and Pathfinder (Core Rulebook and Bestiary, also $100; the GameMaster's Guide is great, but you don't need it per se, especially if you're just starting out).

Yeah, on the 4.0 I'd also recommend keeping it simple after you pick up the core books, there are a TON of extra books, and of them I'd really only recommend getting adventures if those are you're style and settings books. The extra players handbooks and stuff I feel mostly added a lot of decision paralysis and power creep. I'm pretty sure there's a really good term for when you are given a ton of choice that feels like it's supposed to be important but doesn't make a difference and whatever that is I feel it applies quite well to the extra players handbooks various ____ Power books in 4.0

EDIT: I totally didn't intend for that hr

TehSloth on
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Everyone in TSO

Like, everyone

Is a Templar. I don't want to reroll though. Oh well.

I haven't even logged in since a day or so after I got it so I guess it doesn't really matter.

This discussion has been closed.