As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Bemoan the passing of the old thread, but celebrate the new!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think I'll probably stick with the i5 because that is far too much work to put in to save $50-100.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Couldn't boot from it. Tried to put the HDD I'd taken out as a source to Time Machine restore from, but it still has the four hexagonal pegs on the sides, and I don't have the tool to get 'em off. Guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow when I can go over to CompUSA and buy the screwdriver. Unfortunate.

i want to say it is a #6 torx nut, but maybe a small allen wrench will work.
    what you need to do is create a time machine backup onto whatever your time machine drive is. then stick your new empty drive in your computer with your time machine drive plugged in and boot holding option or somethign liek that and you can restore from a backup using the time machine drive.

might not be the exact steps, but i also just used CCC

camo_sig.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Go down to home depot and grab some of the torx screwdriver sets (grab the one that comes with a legit screwdriver handle, those tiny ones will tear up your hands something fierce after 3 screws).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Went to Ace and got it. It is in fact a #6 Torx. Cloned onto the SSD and it booted up. Everything seems to be fine; posting from it meow.

Finally actually put my build together... and now my UD3H isn't detecting my video-card. Have it running on onboard video atm. Too tired now, so I'll probably try reseating the video-card tomorrow.

Le sigh.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    hooray for PC builidng!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited January 2013
    Reseated the video card, and it seems to be working fine now.

However, trying to boot up resulted in a BSOD immediately, so I figured I'd just reinstall Windows. Trying to install it to my 256GB M4, and now Windows is telling me it can't install to that partition because it's in "GPT partition style." But you just installed onto it last night, Windows.

omfg

EDIT: Oh okay, deleting both of the associated 100MB partitions (one was MSR or something) fixed it, and meow Windows is installing.

Hamurabi on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    So I recently sent my motherboard in for repair due to an apparent short. I'd try to turn my computer on and I'd get stuck in an infinite power on / power off every couple seconds cycle. Is resetting the CMOS the same as pulling the CMOS battery? Because I already did the latter and apparently all Gigabyte did was the former (along with a BIOS update). D:

Why is only 16GB of my 32GB of RAM usable??

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    BIOS limitation?

And why won't Windows lemme access my old HDD? It keeps saying I don't have permission to access/change some of the stuff on my old C:\ drive.

wtf aaaaaargh

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had that happen when I put the hard drive from my old computer into my new computer. It took a few restarts and attempts to access the drive, but it eventually stopped giving me that message.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    You probably need to set yourself as the owner in ntfs permissions

Stupid Gigabyte chipset drivers.

Installed some Intel stuff (Rapid Storage or something?) and Windows wouldn't boot when I restarted. Did a Restore and now things are back to normal. Software is giving me more issues than hardware ever has. :\

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    You probably need to set yourself as the owner in ntfs permissions

Yes, most likely this. I have encountered this problem before and this was the solution.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Installed some Intel stuff (Rapid Storage or something?) and Windows wouldn't boot when I restarted. Did a Restore and now things are back to normal. Software is giving me more issues than hardware ever has. :\

Honestly, Intel Rapid Storage gave me no small amount of headaches. For a long time, my secondary HDD would just suddenly disconnect, as if someone had pulled the plug. Got rid of Intel Rapid Storage, and it stopped.

It's really not necessary, since all the modern OS's support TRIM now for SSD's, and should have pretty up to date ICH drivers for interfacing with your chipset.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    What should I be looking for in a motherboard these days? I'll be plugging my Phenom II x4 965 and probably a 7870 into it, and will be using an SDD for my OS/games. I really don't want to overdo it on a new mobo, but I really don't know how much I need. This Gigabyte GA-970A seems reasonable, but is there a compelling reason to pay a bit more for something else?

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Honestly, Intel Rapid Storage gave me no small amount of headaches. For a long time, my secondary HDD would just suddenly disconnect, as if someone had pulled the plug. Got rid of Intel Rapid Storage, and it stopped.

It's really not necessary, since all the modern OS's support TRIM now for SSD's, and should have pretty up to date ICH drivers for interfacing with your chipset.

Sounds good. Now how do I fix this issue with only half of my RAM being usable? :\

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    what version of windows are you running? Because if it's win7 home of some flavor then 16 is the max you'll get. need win7 pro/enterprise/ultimate or win8 to get more.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Again, probably a BIOS limitation. Check to see if your motherboard has firmware updates available. During POST, how much RAM is it reporting?

what version of windows are you running? Because if it's win7 home of some flavor then 16 is the max you'll get. need win7 pro/enterprise/ultimate or win8 to get more.

Wait, seriously? I did not know this when I bought 4 sticks of 8GB instead of just 2 or even 1 like a sane person. I know it's my own fault, but damn is this aggravating. :\
    Again, probably a BIOS limitation. Check to see if your motherboard has firmware updates available. During POST, how much RAM is it reporting?

BIOS shows all 32GB of it.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

I assume you're running win7 home premium.

*edit for better link

Houn on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    On the plus side you should be able to get Windows 8 Pro for $40.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    So i guess win8 prices are going up
    at the end of the month/

Too bad, it was kinda nice not having the OS be a huge chunk of the cost of a budget build.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Is there any way to get Win8 to act exactly like Win7? The few times I've seen people using Win8, the whole tiles business really didn't seem preferable to good old Windows.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    There are a few start menu replacement things out there, http://www.classicshell.net/ is free. stardock has one that's ok. a couple other companies also sell something similar for around $5. Not too sure what is the best atm, but I'm sure someone out there has done a comparison review.

Otherwise, just use win8 as normal, your not going to see the tiled modern screen that often, 99% of the time your in desktop mode anyway. You just get used to the changes and it stops bothering you after a few days.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    But things that are different scare and infuriate me!

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Windows 8 adoption has been slow so they're raising the price?

That seems... smart...

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I am totally used to windows 8 after a week. You basically push the Windows button on your keyboard some more.

I do need to get adobe because the win8 pdf reader is fullscreen only and that's obnoxious. Though I guess it's nice that something is built-in.

Smasher wrote: »

That seems... smart...

they've had this announced for about a year; the upgrade pricing was a limited offer

• SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »

That seems... smart...

they've had this announced for about a year; the upgrade pricing was a limited offer
    Perhaps, but they have the option of extending the offer or making it permanent. Regardless of why the price is going up it's still going to slow down adoption.

Maybe the increase in profits from the new purchase price will offset that, but I would think that most of the people who want W8 enough to buy it at the new price would have done so already.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I never made the jump from XP to anything but 8. But using Classic Shell is completely the same. Good ol' fashioned desktop.

I technically have zero reason to ever step foot into that tiled nightmare, but I actually have been from time to time. It's a nice accessory to normal computer usage. But I would probably choke a bitch if it were my only form of interaction.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The guys in the computer shop I bought many of my parts from told me not to buy Windows 8. Standing there wearing a Microsoft polo shirt telling me win8 is shit and I should buy Windows 7.

8 is simply better in my experience.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I will say that the whole administrator and permissions seems fucked to hell and completely arbitrary. I'm the administrator. I should have full access to everything, no? Well I can't save a file to C:\, it tells me to contact the administrator. I can save it to C:\New Folder, and then copy it to C:\ just fine. But I'm not allowed to save directly?

I've also got some shortcuts on the desktop. Some of them will run no problem. Others will pop up a window asking me to give permission first. Every single time I run it. I have no idea why it does this for some and not others. It's just a stupid hoop to make me jump through.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    See I don't have that problem.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Information overload. I am unable to make any decisions myself. So. I want to build a pc that will play mmo's smoothly on my monitor and that will also double as a steambox to play more action oriented games on my tv.
    I'd like to go with an nvidia card because I've had nothing but problems with amd drivers.
    I'd like this to come in at or around 1 grand.
    I don't overclock because I'm a sissy so you can shave off a few dollars on unlocked whatevers.
    Help me PA forums, you're my only hope!

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I assume the TV is close enough to route HDMI to?

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Yep, I will be wall mounting the tv next to the tower.

Forgot to mention, I have a bluray drive sitting around, no need for optical media devices.

• Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    I will say that the whole administrator and permissions seems fucked to hell and completely arbitrary. I'm the administrator. I should have full access to everything, no? Well I can't save a file to C:\, it tells me to contact the administrator. I can save it to C:\New Folder, and then copy it to C:\ just fine. But I'm not allowed to save directly?

I've also got some shortcuts on the desktop. Some of them will run no problem. Others will pop up a window asking me to give permission first. Every single time I run it. I have no idea why it does this for some and not others. It's just a stupid hoop to make me jump through.

That's not Windows 8. That's UAC, and you'd have the same issues on Windows 7. It's telling you to keep your goddamn documents in the goddamn documents folder.

My experience this time around makes me definitely want to go modular for my next PSU. Also: now I know I should definitely connect my SATA cables before plugging in the PSU, and I should use the L-connector on the drive end, and not the mobo end. You live and you learn, I guess.