As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm trying one last thing... If that doesn't work I'll just tell the company performing my background check to just call my company and I'll deal with it. I'm tired of walking on eggshells for these assholes.

Wow. Holy shit. The COO came in and said "Aren't we all happier without him?" And my friend's immediate supervisor said (to himself) "No, just you."

AND apparently one of the guys here got into trouble for showing a product that we SELL to a subcontractor without her knowledge. He was just showing him the tool that we use (the GUI, nothing more) and he is in some deep shit.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Toxic environments are bad, that company is about to have massive turnover, if not collapse under it's own weight.

Also saying you need it for a loan is lying, technically, but, they were basically being shit bags to begin with and deserve no respect or treatment as if they have it. Lie if questioned about "what kind of financial stuff."

You don't want to admit it, then Lockheed turns around and says "sorry you didn't pass the background check" and then you were fired for admitting it. Never, ever, ever admit to your current job what you are doing with your personal life, or if you're looking for a job.

Ever. If it means you have to lie and be a shitbag, lie and be a shitbag. You never want to be jobless. Not being employed for a week can be detrimental if you aren't super fucking careful. 2 week employment gap can start looking bad.

So, when questioned as to why you need it, say you need it for a financial reason. If pestered as to why you need it, say a loan.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I just got called into my boss's office and got terrible news.
    My next project is going to be in Java instead of C#

Did you tender your resignation on the spot?

Fuck you both, I love me some JAVA!!! :-)

Though, this weekend I am going to dive into some Python. There's a module for web scraping that seems too good to be true and I want to try to use it for another project I am on.

I actually kind of like Java, so I'm mostly just trying to be funny.

I still greatly prefer C# though.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Preferred user authentication stuff for Rails 3? What it is? I'm looking at AuthLogic and Devise right now. They both seem like an awful lot of work to setup when I'm used to django.contrib.auth.

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I just got called into my boss's office and got terrible news.
    My next project is going to be in Java instead of C#

Did you tender your resignation on the spot?

Fuck you both, I love me some JAVA!!! :-)

Though, this weekend I am going to dive into some Python. There's a module for web scraping that seems too good to be true and I want to try to use it for another project I am on.
    Are you looking at BeautifulSoup or Scrapy(which I think uses BeautifulSoup)? I've done some work with BeautifulSoup and it was amazing. I had a remote office that was supposed to upload an xml file via ftp every minute. Only sometimes someone messes with their setup and they send an html file which has xml embedded in it instead of the plain xml. I was able to use the same code with BeautifulSoup to handle both cases, plus one or two other variations that they also somehow managed to send me once or twice.

Yeah, its Beautiful Soup that I want to play with! I wrote one by hand in JAVA and it works well enough, but there's tons of fringe cases, and if someone has already made the wheel, why re-invent it? So I hope to play this weekend! Glad to hear other people found it awesome!

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Beautiful soup is just delicious. I love it so much.
    It's the speed with which you can write a scraper with it is just phenomenal.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    What's that CSS thing that let's you make nice CSS stuff? I can't recall.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    LESS?

It's pretty great.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @urahonky You should be getting a W-2 within the next 2 weeks from your employer that should be better proof of employment than a paystub even for your background check. And there is no way your employer can avoid giving you that.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    LESS?

It's pretty great.

That's the one, thank ye.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm a fan of installing Bootstrap and pretending that I'm good at CSS.

Incindium wrote: »
    @urahonky You should be getting a W-2 within the next 2 weeks from your employer that should be better proof of employment than a paystub even for your background check. And there is no way your employer can avoid giving you that.

I literally just sent them my bonus check (which had the company's name and address with tax ID) with my past 5 direct deposits (including today's). I just got notification that they received them so I'm guessing that may be enough.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm a fan of installing Bootstrap and pretending that I'm good at CSS.

well
    that actually uses LESS, so that's close :P

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Or using Foundation 3 and at least having nicely positioned solid-colour boxes.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Arrrrrrggghhhh!!!

What the motherfucking christ!? Since when is negotiateSecurityContext defaulting to 'true'? Why is it the only thing in the included config files which isn't there and turns out to be the source of all my problems!! And why the ever living fuck are the error messages so vague.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Preferred user authentication stuff for Rails 3? What it is? I'm looking at AuthLogic and Devise right now. They both seem like an awful lot of work to setup when I'm used to django.contrib.auth.

I use Devise for authentication and CanCan for authorization.

Devise is pretty easy to setup if you use it's out of the box settings. It's very basic Rails stuff, generate a model, generate a controller, etc.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    End wrote: »

well
    that actually uses LESS, so that's close :P

It uses LESS, but the basic idea of me not doing shit to come up with some sane CSS, and just applying classes that someone else built to all my markup holds. Because I'm not a designer, and they are much better at the whole thing than I am.

I use Devise for authentication and CanCan for authorization.

Devise is pretty easy to setup if you use it's out of the box settings. It's very basic Rails stuff, generate a model, generate a controller, etc.
    Yeah, that's what I decided to go with. Just Devise for now, but I'll be adding CanCan. Taking baby steps getting it all working so that I understand it all. Rails seems to have a different take on much of this stuff than Django. For instance Devise has the functionality of like 5 Django apps. For Django auth is one app, and you just create login views real quick yourself. The whole account creation/signup/password recovery is handled through a different app, django-registration (or write your own), etc. Although CanCan seems to be baked into django's built in auth system.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    @Bowen, you have the VS plugin that gives you SASS, LESS, and CoffeeScript, right? http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/2b96d16a-c986-4501-8f97-8008f9db141a

Nightslyr wrote: »
    @Bowen, you have the VS plugin that gives you SASS, LESS, and CoffeeScript, right? http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/2b96d16a-c986-4501-8f97-8008f9db141a

Pft, you say that as if I'm not developing PHP sites.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Pft, you say that as if I'm not developing PHP sites.

Ah, I thought you were still doing C# stuff.

I'm trying to get used to SASS, but all the frameworks and shit make it daunting.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Nowadays I prefer SASS over LESS, but that's mainly because I can write it in Haml without cruft like curly braces and semicolons.

I like C# but I don't think I can stomach the ASP.NET MVC style they've chosen. It just feels alien to me.

Plus not being able to run it on apache/linux ?

Not true. It runs on Mono.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Echo wrote: »
    Nowadays I prefer SASS over LESS, but that's mainly because I can write it in Haml without cruft like curly braces and semicolons.

I use SASS now as well, for a much more pragmatic reason:

twitter-bootstrap-less doesn't compile on Windows, it requires Libv8 which requires a ton of patches to compile on Windows.

boostrapp-sass doesn't require that, and works fine on Windows.

Not true. It runs on Mono.

Ah I didn't know that.

I take it padev is set up for that? Maybe I'll learn me some ASP.net

I think about setting up mono to do asp.net stuff sometimes. I like c# alright, I just have spent so much time learning my various linux stacks that I have no interest in getting to the same level with windows, plus so many tools just aren't available. I need another skill set that's not at all in demand in this area less than I need a hole in my head, though. At least a hole in my head might get me paid for disability.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    PAdev is running mono services, I think GnomeTank was the only one using it.

OrokosPA.png
    I think about setting up mono to do asp.net stuff sometimes. I like c# alright, I just have spent so much time learning my various linux stacks that I have no interest in getting to the same level with windows, plus so many tools just aren't available. I need another skill set that's not at all in demand in this area less than I need a hole in my head, though. At least a hole in my head might get me paid for disability.

You will probably make more money!

Yeah, last time I used it on PADev, Mono was up to whatever the .NET 4.0 equivalent was.

That said, Infidel never setup ASP.NET web stuff in Apache, because it's a huge pain in the ass.

Yeah, last time I used it on PADev, Mono was up to whatever the .NET 4.0 equivalent was.

That said, Infidel never setup ASP.NET web stuff in Apache, because it's a huge pain in the ass.

Oh. Well. That kiboshed my attempt to learn that then.

I mean, no more or less difficult than getting RoR setup...but the way Infidel has PA all virtualized out with neat little sandboxes for everything, I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup for Mono's ASP.net...I'm just assuming "pain in the ass" territory. Especially since there isn't something like rvm for Mono, that I am aware of.

Oh. Well. That kiboshed my attempt to learn that then.

I don't believe it is all that bad compared to anything else.

If you are trying to set something up let me know and I can enable the site in apache.

OrokosPA.png
  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Any of you dudes currently telecommute? I am investigating applying for a job that I should be qualified for and they all telecommute.

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    Any of you dudes currently telecommute? I am investigating applying for a job that I should be qualified for and they all telecommute.

Yup. I had worked at the job first though and was moving. I tried to quit and they wouldn't let me :) Anything specific you want to know?

Kolosus wrote: »

I used to, was subcontracting out some work until it recently all came crashing down.

OrokosPA.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    We are supposed to get stubs... But said it's to save paper so they don't. Which is a lie because they fucking print them out anyway.
    We don't get physical pay stubs, but we can log into our employee information app and bring up and print any and every pay stub if we need to.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.