As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• XandarthXandarth Registered User regular
    rRootagea wrote: »
    I thought in the television series at least, the main character was asked once why she always kept her female body instead of swapping to a male one?
    Yep, ghost in the shell has people swapping to all sorts of bodies (including a tank in one episode) without any hassle at all. The only limit on that is they can't copy ghosts well (dubbed ghosts regrade losing their memories and personalities with each dubbing).

• XandarthXandarth Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I thought in the television series at least, the main character was asked once why she always kept her female body instead of swapping to a male one?

I think that was the answer she gave. However, it is also entirely possible that the pain/discomfort only applies to men who switch to female bodies.
    No she responds by hacking Batou's body and making him beat himself up a little and basically says she has no need for a stronger body when she has a superior ghost.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Concept art and the making of the teaser: behance.net/gallery/Cyberpunk-2077/6573211

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Xandarth wrote: »

I think that was the answer she gave. However, it is also entirely possible that the pain/discomfort only applies to men who switch to female bodies.
    No she responds by hacking Batou's body and making him beat himself up a little and basically says she has no need for a stronger body when she has a superior ghost.

Which is really more of a way to dodge the issue of "because fanservice" when logically it would be better to have both.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Xandarth wrote: »

Which is really more of a way to dodge the issue of "because fanservice" when logically it would be better to have both.

reminds me how, at the end of the manga [I forget if Oshii's film does this?]
    When the Major's just her Cyberbrain, Batou steals the full body prosthetic of a gang leader who lead a gang into this secret safehouse/warehouse the Major had prepared. It's an a feminine-looking body, but it turns out, according to Motoko, that it's actually a Male Full Body Prosthetic, to Batou's surprise

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Well, I think this goes back to keeping one humantiy.

Otherwise, what's keeping everyonefrom transferring their brain into a tank?

Casually Hardcore on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Sex
    pfft I'd still do it

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they can probe the 'release sexual pleasure hormones' part of the brain pretty damn easily.

I'm pretty sure they can probe the 'release sexual pleasure hormones' part of the brain pretty damn easily.

and thus giving new meaning to the phrase "getting brain"

EH28YFo.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I always liked the idea of wireheads from the Ringworld series. Addicts with shorted pleasure centers in permanent ecstasy.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

Sex
    pfft I'd still do it

Are you kidding me? A tank has the best wang ever; how many people have a penis that can level a building from a mile away?

Brain switch to the tank, keep a spare body inside for whenever you feel like cruising an antique store for teacups.

Man, can you imagine how the NRA is like in Cyberpunk 2077?

"I have a right to defend myself and if it means transplanting my brain into a tank that is wired to explode a hydrogen bomb on my death then I should be able to do it! FOR THE CHILDREN!"

And to think that I'd thought you guys were talking about a simple storage tank.

Yes I'd definitely be down for that.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

Are you kidding me? A tank has the best wang ever; how many people have a penis that can level a building from a mile away?

Are we... are we raising hands?

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Sex
    pfft I'd still do it

This felt appropriate to answer with.

• EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
    Brain switch to the tank, keep a spare body inside for whenever you feel like cruising an antique store for teacups.

One of Anne MacCaffrey's "Ship Who..." books has a teenage girl who ends up as the brain box for a ship after an accident (the brain boxes usually come from hopelessly crippled infants). She ends up purchasing a cybernetics/prosthetics company (as a starship, she makes lots of money but doesn't have much to spend it on) for the sole purpose of crafting a completely realistic and 100% functional (IYKWIMAITYD) body that she can operate remotely (within the confines of the starship). And presumably get remote sensory feedback from as well.

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Once you're a brain in a box, sex is just another set of inputs & reactions. Albeit a complex one. At that point it's about quality of input. Which, if artificial, could be less enjoyable than the actual organ-based sensations. False stimulus, be it programmatic or sensor-based, would need to be of a sufficient fidelity to produce the same level of pleasure.
    And just jamming on the O-button, so to speak, satisfies the urge, but does nothing for the experience, social and personal.

Yeah, way to much thinking about cyborgs doin' it.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

You brought me back to Star Trek: First Contact and how the Borg Queen totally wanted to design Data functional bones...and then jump them.

SAC spoiler
    xRVdP.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited January 2013
    Once you're a brain in a box, sex is just another set of inputs & reactions. Albeit a complex one. At that point it's about quality of input. Which, if artificial, could be less enjoyable than the actual organ-based sensations. False stimulus, be it programmatic or sensor-based, would need to be of a sufficient fidelity to produce the same level of pleasure.
    And just jamming on the O-button, so to speak, satisfies the urge, but does nothing for the experience, social and personal.

If you want to get down to it, that's all it is now. We're already brains-in-boxes, the box is just a sophisticated system of organic organs, muscle, bones, nerves and other functional tissue with various hormones for delivering input and output.

EDIT: in short, I'd argue if you can build the prosthetics right, like 1:1 with the parameters of an organic system, moving to even a full body prosthetic system wouldn't [shouldn't?] change the nature of being human.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Sex
    pfft I'd still do it

This felt appropriate to answer with.

I see your silly make-believe penis building and raise. Behold, a capitol building with complete wedding tackle!
    florida_statecapitolbuilding.jpg
    That is the actual capitol building of Florida, by the way. If you drive towards it from the east, there's a road which lets you see this marvel of architectural ballsiness from miles away.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Eumerin wrote: »

One of Anne MacCaffrey's "Ship Who..." books has a teenage girl who ends up as the brain box for a ship after an accident (the brain boxes usually come from hopelessly crippled infants). She ends up purchasing a cybernetics/prosthetics company (as a starship, she makes lots of money but doesn't have much to spend it on) for the sole purpose of crafting a completely realistic and 100% functional (IYKWIMAITYD) body that she can operate remotely (within the confines of the starship). And presumably get remote sensory feedback from as well.

That one is "The Ship who Searched", and while it is a bit more complicated than that, yes. Most of the 'Brains' use their pay to buy out the ship they have been implanted into, but she likes her job so she doesn't mind having to go through that massive an expense twice.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Given the rise of megacorporations into positions of prominence over governments in the RPG setting, I'm not sure there even IS an NRA. I imagine gun control and gun rights pretty much comes down to corporate militaries making sure their best weapons are bigger, better, and not for sale. Everything else is up for grabs to anyone who's willing to pay.

Operative21 on

Given the rise of megacorporations into positions of prominence over governments in the RPG setting, I'm not sure there even IS an NRA. I imagine gun control and gun rights pretty much comes down to corporate militaries making sure their best weapons are bigger, better, and not for sale. Everything else is up for grabs to anyone who's willing to pay.

The rulebook makes it clear that gun laws are extremely liberal (as in the non-political meaning of the word). It's fairly easy to get most weapons legally, and people feel a very strong need to have them available for self-defense. Gun control laws basically amount to, "Register the weapon and log the rifling groove or shot-gun blast pattern with the local police. If it's stolen, report it." Anything more restrictive than that would probably cause a wave of protests (which is why the gun laws were loosened up in the first place).

Of course, given how much illegal crap is already going on, coupled with how easy it is to conceal extremely powerful weapons in cyberware, it's not likely that more restrictive gun laws would accomplish much anyway.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I misplaced my 2020 core rulebook, but I am looking at the chromebooks, and Chrome 2 has the rules for full body cybernetic conversion.

The surgery is a double critical for calculating the cost of the surgery:

CRitical.

Required: Full hospital with surgery center.
    Surgical Time: 6 hrs.
    Surgical Damage: 3D6+1
    Surgical costs: 2,500eb
    DIFF = Difficult (25)

(So I am not getting into the costs just to recover from the surgery. It's going to be big bucks for all the time you are laid out. Like, massive.)

Now the most human body you can get is going to cost 55k eb and is going to get you a minimum of 16d6 +2 lost humanity points.
    They highly recommend therapy: The best you can get for that operation is 16 weeks of Intensive care therapy, where they basically rebuild your brain. This is going to cost 10k per week and get you back half of what you lost.

Outpatient therapy takes 14 hours a week for 16 weeks rather than 168 per week for 16 weeks, but it costs 1k per week rather than 10k. The downside is you can only get back 25% of what you lost rather than 50%.

I can't actually find a list of what weapons are legal. Most non-firearm implanted weapons are illegal, and I can't find anything about what kinds of guns a citizen can or can't have.

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    I can't actually find a list of what weapons are legal. Most non-firearm implanted weapons are illegal, and I can't find anything about what kinds of guns a citizen can or can't have.

According to CP2020 2nd Edition:
    Availability: This is how difficult the weapon is to find on the open market.
    Excellent (E) Can be found almost anywhere.
    Common (C) Can be found in most sports & gun stores or on the street.
    Poor (P) Specialty weapons, black market, stolen military.
    Rare (R) Stolen, one of a kind, special military issue, may be highly illegal.

Oh, and the weapon code is Name - Type - Accuracy - Availability - Damage/Ammunition - Number of Shots - Rate of Fire - Reliability

So, for the core rulebook all autopistols, submachineguns, and assault rifles are E or C. One type of shotgun is R and the other is C, and grenades / mines / heavy weapons are all P/R.

Edit: Just finished reading a bit further...the above is a bit odd considering possession of a fully automatic weapon is illegal. PG 180, "The Federal Weapons Statute of 1999."

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I would just like to say I hope the protagonist is murder-fembot.

And not simply because it's a murder-fembot.

But traversing this landscape with a person who's already lost their GODDAMN MIND to the point where they view humans as bags of blood, and the possibility of somehow coming back from that, no matter the gender, is completely and utterly riveting.

Probably not the protagonist, if they want greater character customization than The Witcher.

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    Viewing bystanders as murderable objects is standard behavior for Player Characters.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    cyberdongs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    SvK wrote: »
    Viewing bystanders as murderable objects is standard behavior for Player Characters.
    Yup, pretty much what I said.
    And that running into someone who someone who acts/thinks like a Player Character, with the abilities to back it up, would be effin' terrifying.

Think of all the stuff you've done in games like this, just because you can. And none of it's "real."

Commander Zoom on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Lanz wrote: »
    When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.

For those familiar with it, a good comparison is with the AD Police from Bubblegum Crisis 2032. Although it's not shown much, these guys are shown to be good at what they do, and even manage to take down a military-grade boomer in one episode (which is kind of like your local SWAT team taking out a tank).

(the incompetent idiots that make up the police force in Bubblegum Crisis 2040 should be ignored)

In case anyone wants, Hulu has the entirety of the original OVA. Just keep in mind it pushes a hard PG-13 in some episodes.

Checked it out--sadly, they went with the censored/dubbed edition (even all the sound effects were different than I remember). And the VA is terrible. Like, really, really terrible-awful.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    Lanz wrote: »
    When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.

For those familiar with it, a good comparison is with the AD Police from Bubblegum Crisis 2032. Although it's not shown much, these guys are shown to be good at what they do, and even manage to take down a military-grade boomer in one episode (which is kind of like your local SWAT team taking out a tank).

(the incompetent idiots that make up the police force in Bubblegum Crisis 2040 should be ignored)

In case anyone wants, Hulu has the entirety of the original OVA. Just keep in mind it pushes a hard PG-13 in some episodes.

Checked it out--sadly, they went with the censored/dubbed edition (even all the sound effects were different than I remember). And the VA is terrible. Like, really, really terrible-awful.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Hulu to be showing bare nipples (nothing else to really censor, iirc; even the violence is pretty non-gory). And unfortunately, Animeigo's dubs were always barely passable, at best (which is a pity, because the rest of the contents of their releases were usually pretty good).

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    What a great video.

I love listening to creators who are passionate about their work.

• rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Lost is going to be a difficult feeling to pull off.
    In most games, the player is actively trying to become as unlost as they can.
    Modern game design practically revolves around giving the player a strong sense of which direction to go.

So how to make feeling lost more comfortable than feeling unlost?
    Frequent shattering of rules/reality?
    Absence of accomplishment?
    Guides that lie?

rRootagea on
    I don't know. I frequently feel lost in Bethesda's games, but they don't need any of those to accomplish that.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Feeling lost in Skyrim or Stalker comes from feeling directionless with no pressing goals to attend to right?
    Just content to soak in the surroundings without fully understanding or controlling it.

If you really want to push that feeling, some suggestions I've got would be to remove directions, diminish the usefulness of walkthroughs, remove predetermined storytelling.

rRootagea on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, just removing the floating waypoints / mapmarkers would be enough to make most players feel lost these days. Problem is those things make more sense in a cyberpunk game than, say, Far Cry 3.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Lost is going to be a difficult feeling to pull off.
    In most games, the player is actively trying to become as unlost as they can.
    Modern game design practically revolves around giving the player a strong sense of which direction to go.

So how to make feeling lost more comfortable than feeling unlost?
    Frequent shattering of rules/reality?
    Absence of accomplishment?
    Guides that lie?

I wouldn't take that too literally. He appears to be talking about the mood he tried to bring to the pencil and paper game. Ergo, it's a mood that, if carried forward by CD Projekt Red, will be imparted to the player probably in part to keep you off-balance as opposed to looking at an in-game map and trying to figure out where your next waypoint is. You're in a world which is suffering from a massive level of culture shock, and hopefully that will leave the player feeling at least a little unmoored and unsure of him or herself.
    Yeah, just removing the floating waypoints / mapmarkers would be enough to make most players feel lost these days.

I remember reading something a few weeks ago by an instructor who assigned certain video games to his students. One of the games he assigned was Ultima IV, and there was a near universal sense of "This is too hard!" among the students. That came about in part because no one read the manuals (which is pretty much standard practice these days), and you literally *had* to read the manuals in Ultima IV in order to accomplish such simple tasks as preparing a simple spell.