As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MayaRaiden's Art and Concept

MayaRaidenMayaRaiden Registered User regular
Hey folks of the AC, I am MayaRaiden and this will be the thread I fill with concept art and full pieces later down the line. I'm looking for critique on my artwork and I am hoping to update this thread as often as possible.

For the time being this will mostly consist of concept drawings, but later down the line I will be shifting focus to finished pieces of concept artwork (full color, not just hand drawn), and I will be working on 3D Models of some of my work (I plan on going to school for Game art and Animation).

Here is what I have so far (sorry about the bad image quality, I only have a scanner that scans 8 1/2 x 11 or lower and a webcam for the large ones)

-A self Portrait done with Pastel-
4a88ac2cdd5c72412533d46933a82df1-d5rw2di.png

-Medieval Soldier Concept- still a WIP
c9630ce124172b1b9bd720916a4868c1-d5rw2qu.png

-Brood Mouther Concept- a Creature who can devour its foe by injecting a paralyzing poison with its fangs. It then uses its tongue to slather enzymes that break down the flesh of its enemy into a jelly.
brood_mouther_cocept_by_metalraiden-d5rw38y.jpg

-Treant-like being Concept- think of a treant who is a biological creature with a society and culture.
treant_concept_by_metalraiden-d5rw3kn.jpg

Critique away!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hello and welcome. I don't have much in the way of critique I'm afraid as I am a novice myself, but I really like your self portrait.

• Options
    Thanks! wish I had the tools for better pictures/scans

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Are you in high school getting ready for college, then? Are you getting any sort instruction currently?

I would check out the tutorials in the questions thread. Keep doing self portraits and studies from life. Studies are the easiest thing to get crits on, usually, because you have a clear end goal, and we have something to reference when we are trying to guide you. Still lives, value studies, and other such basics are great things to be exploring right now.

• Options
    I graduated a year and a half ago, mostly self taught, I had 1 drawing class my senior year but it was mostly with people who could not draw so I didn't get any one-on-one with the teacher to aid me in advancing what I currently knew. I will definitely check that thread out

• Options
    Going to start focusing on specific feature of the human body starting with the human head. It's easy to feel overwhelmed when I try and draw a full body of a human, so I am going to take a step back and focus myself.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    http://iseenothing.com/files/artbooks/

Check out the loomis books. They're found in the tutorials sticky at the top of the AC. There are books on the head, hands, the figure and others.

For me drawing the figure is very simple, but then I had a good teacher. He taught me a really quick way to layout the figure accurately.

wp000164r.jpg

The motion lines let you know how the figure is moving and where to pin the two simple shapes. The ball, think of it as a nearly perfect circle as you can draw by hand, then a bean, narrower at the top than the bottom (obviously judge based on the model or character you're drawing) The upper arms and legs are roughly the same size as the bean shape. Just a shortcut I use, works for me. But I really recommend the loomis books, they lend their own insights.

• Options
    Nice find ninjai! This is going to be very helpful! I have Anatomy books in my basement, I think 3 or so, I will look those over as well.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149588/questions-discussion-tutorials/p1

There's a bunch more good stuff here, for almost anything you'd want to do. You'll find it at the top of the AC. Hope they help! :D

• Options
    Eyes I drew today

eyes_by_metalraiden-d5sskb2.jpg

• Options
    Drew my D&D character for practice. He is supposed to be a Gnome, I hope that comes off with the proportions I used.

untitled_by_metalraiden-d5ullf6.jpg