As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Some Faith in Humanity Restored! (stories of humanity remembering to not be dicks)

Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
As a little background, I'm a Secular Humanist. I firmly believe that if we aren't there for other people, no one will be. I believe that everything we do in life, to ourselves and to others, matters and that one person can make a difference for humanity as a whole. I don't think most people are genuinely good, but that most are decent and would like to be better. Still, it's hard to maintain any sort of optimism in such a cyncial culture. For this reason, I thought I'd start a thread where we (or if this ends up just falling off the fourms without a reply, maybe just me) tell stories of those rare times where people surprise you and you remember just how magnificent people can be at their most noble.

I had a public speaking thing at work where I was supposed to talk about three things I'd like my co-workers to work on. Not an envious assignment, telling your peers that they're doing it wrong, but I decided I'd make the best of it and include as my final point something a little more high-minded.

"Don't do what's easy, do what's right." I said, with full conviction, "It's easy to forget that there are people on the other ends of our phones and that they care and are impacted by the things we say and do. People care. Going beyond what's easy is important because it's the difference between doing your job and doing a service. People notice that kind of thing."

The meeting hall went silent. I was already bracing myself for eye rolls and jeers. Instead, they applauded. People who've never spoken to me, who don't even know me came up to me afterwards to say that my saying that meant a lot to them. To this day there is a whiteboard standing at the entrace to the office that says simply, "Don't do what's easy. Do what's right."

I know it's corny as hell, but that made me feel so much less alone in the world.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I like your story, Oniros.

here's something I saw in the news today: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Spanish+runner+Iván+Fernández+Anaya+becomes+cult+hero+after/7839439/story.html
    Fernández Anaya was trailing behind Olympic bronze medallist Abel Mutai during a cross-country race in Burlada, Navarra. Mutai was leading comfortably until he pulled up 10 to 20 metres short of the finish line thinking the race was already over. Instead of passing Mutai, Fernández Anaya slowed down and told Mutai to keep running. Since they didn't speak a common language, the Basque runner gestured frantically at Mutai who went on to win the race.

"I didn't deserve to win it," Fernández Anaya told El País. "I did what I had to do. He was the rightful winner. He created a gap that I couldn't have closed if he hadn't made a mistake. As soon as I saw he was stopping, I knew I wasn't going to pass him."

Fernández Anaya's actions may not have earned him the win, but they did earn him many new fans. Since the race took place in December, his Twitter and Facebook pages have been filled with plaudits from around the world.

ivan_fernandez_anaya.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    As a little background, I'm a Secular Humanist.

Welp. Any thread that starts with a sentence I could see Thomas Jefferson using if he were alive and belonged to an internet-based community centered around playing video games is a thread that I want to subscribe to.

Let me think of a story I want to share.

• Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    That is great. Most honorable!

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    George Lucas made over $4 billion dollars when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.

He gave almost all of it away to cancer research charities, Make-A-Wish foundation, and scholarship funds.

George Lucas made over $4 billion dollars when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney.

He gave almost all of it away to cancer research charities, Make-A-Wish foundation, and scholarship funds.

That was a magnanimous gesture. He could have just kept it and I don't think any of us would have been at all surprised. Instead, that money will help enrich the education of future generations. Hat's off to ya, George!

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I know it's a Coke commercial but whatev, I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTBF1Hik5I

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    SammyF wrote: »
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    As a little background, I'm a Secular Humanist.

Welp. Any thread that starts with a sentence I could see Thomas Jefferson using if he were alive and belonged to an internet-based community centered around playing video games is a thread that I want to subscribe to.

Let me think of a story I want to share.

Can I also say that any comment that even vaguely compares me to Thomas Jefferson is probably a deeper honor than I deserve. :-)

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I know it's a Coke commercial but whatev, I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTBF1Hik5I

I love that commercial.

*sips diet coke*

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    On my first tour in Iraq
    , outside the wire we had a huge riot on our hands, maybe 2-300 people, angrily shouting at us, hurling stones as they demanded to be let into the FOB. We had corralled them into a large pen surrounded by C-wire (essentially, razor blade wire), but they where stampeding into the area and overfilling it's capacity. On this day, it was women first to be let in, then men. The men didn't like it, so they where demanding, yelling, and pushing the women aside and in some cases, pushing them down, stepping on them, and pushing them into the C-wire.

We called for support and a K-9 unit showed up. We threw flash bangs, did a show of force and cleared out the entire area. But the dogs and the flashbangs caused wide scale panic, so now they are frantically running into one another pushing each other aside as they try to get away.

After all is said and done, we resume operations and start re-searching people to let them in. A group of 4 women approach me, and from our training we received, males aren't supposed to talk directly with Iraqi females, or touch them, or look them in the eyes, or whatever. But these 4 women approach me, sheltering one of them. I speak very, very simple Iraqi Arabic, mostly commands, so I have my 'terp come up and he starts to tell me what they want.

"They want a doctor. One of them is hurt."
    "Let them know I can't even get a doctor or a medic up here [terps name]"
    "They want a doctor."
    "Tell them to let me see the injury."

So the lady they're sheltering shows me her arm and hand and it's been mangled by the C-wire. She was one of the victims of the earlier riot and stampede by the males. I pull out my radio, radio to the tower to send a runner and bring me my Combat Life Saver (CLS) bag and some water. The runner shows up and I put out my hand, palm down fingers up, so that the women can see I'm not threatening them, and I hold it there.

"[terps name], tell her I'm not going to hurt her, I'm going to clean it and bandage it so it stops bleeding, but I won't touch her unless she gives me her hand."

So she gives me her hand and I start administering first aid to it. I clean it and wrap it up, then give her the rest of the unused water. All the women start looking at me with this look of disbelief. I have my terp tell her that I stopped the bleeding, but she still needs to see a doctor for stitches and more advanced care. They thank me over and over again before leaving.

That memory will forever exist with me as one of the nicest acts I've done in war.

The Iraqi guys? They did this clicking sound with their tongues and where shaking their head the entire time. When I finished, I shot them all a glare and had them watch as I loaded my pistol, knowing to "do not fuck with me or anyone here again. I will have order and discipline."

I used to also give the kids huge bottles of water and developed stalkers. The adults would come and beat up the children and steal what I gave them, so I started having to brandish my weapon when I gave the kids anything. I developed quite a few admirers:
    This kid followed me around all day and wanted to hold my hand constantly. He was terrified of others.
    http://evi.kuiki.net/Pictures/Army/CIMG0770.jpg
    I gave these kids part of my MRE, which they gave to the baby.
    http://evi.kuiki.net/Pictures/Army/CIMG0800.jpg
    On the hottest day there, it was 140+. I gave this family 3 bottles of water, and they let me take a few pictures of them.
    http://evi.kuiki.net/Pictures/Army/CIMG0801.jpg
    They where very photogenic. They wanted me to take more and more pictures.
    http://evi.kuiki.net/Pictures/Army/CIMG0803.jpg

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    Okay. Well let's start with this story.

I happen to know two people who live at the edge of my neighborhood independently. They both live in one of the wealthiest parts of town: giant historic mansions with ceilings 25 feet high, marbled foyers with winding staircases that look like something out of Gone With The Wind, etc. One of the two individuals is a very well known prestigious attorney who has been the managing partner of a legal practice for the last 30 some odd years. He's a very gregarious person, but he can also be kind of intimidating because he's super smart and a flashy person. His wife is...I believe the French would call her formidable. Very smart but kind of prickly. She comes off as judgmental. I met this couple while working as a political consultant, and I guess the best and most concise way to illustrate how I feel about them is to say that they're totally the sort of people with whom you'd want to have a mint julep on the back patio on a Sunday afternoon...but you'd spend 30 minutes thinking long and hard about what to wear before you drive over, and you'd probably swing by a car wash en route.

The other person is a crazy cat lady. She lives only one block down from the attorney, so she's in another gigantic mansion, but every room is dedicated to the 83 cats who live there. The kitchen smells like a factory floor on Cannery Row. The living room smells like an alley in Tiajuana. The backyard smells like a litter box, and patches of grass are dead. She's an acquaintance of my wife, who is both a cat lover and a mental health professional. I am not sure which of those two factors are what led my wife to meet this lady. While more than a little eccentric, however, this woman is also just about the sweetest and most considerate person you'd ever meet. And she doesn't juts care for stray cats. Several years ago, a homeless man brought a litter of kittens to her after a local pet store referred him to her. They'd lost their mom, and he couldn't take care of them, so he wanted to make sure they had someplace warm to sleep and someplace to eat. After she squared away the kittens, she asked the man, "and where are you going now?" The man said he was going to walk back to the park where he'd been sleeping; he ended up living with her and her cats for six months until he got his feet back under him.

If you only know her from across the street, though, she just looks like a crazy person who bought a mansion 40 years ago but now lives in squalor. Her neighbors hate her. Several of her neighbors have asked the city to take her cats away on various occasions. Once a neighbor even complained to city council and asked that her house be taken away under eminent domain. And it's undeniably true that the state of her property is suppressing real estate prices on one of the most expensive blocks in the city.

So anyway, I happen to be walking by one day, and she stops me and asks if I can refer her to an attorney. She wants to establish a trust so that when she dies, her estate (physical and financial) can be dedicated to the continued care of all of these animals. Without thinking, I start referring her to the guy I mentioned in the first paragraph, but I break off mid sentence when I realize, oh shit he's probably one of your neighbors that's tried to take away your cats or have you evicted in the past. So I mention a couple of other lawyers instead, and we get to talking about her plans for the house and whatever.

Eventually, she circles back around to ask who I'd started talking about. So I explained, "Well, the very first name to pop into my head for this sort of project was Jonathan M____, but I suddenly remembered that he lives just a few doors down, and he might see it as a conflict of interest." I left out my suspicion that Jonathan would probably be happy to see her house burnt to the ground.

"I know Jonathan!" the cat lady exclaims. "I don't know him well, but I know him! When my second husband died -- this was fourteen years ago -- my husband had a heart attack while working in the back yard. I was at the store at the time. Jonathan happened to be taking a walk when the paramedics and fire department came up and broke the door in. So I'm walking through the dairy aisle when I get paged over the intercom: 'Helen K____, please come to customer service, we have a phone call for you.' They hand me the phone, and a man's voice says, 'Helen, this is Jonathan. You don't know me, but I live a few doors down. I don't want you to panic, but the paramedics are taking your husband to the hospital. I think he's going to be okay; he was talking when they put him in the ambulance. You should stop what you're doing and meet him at the emergency room. Don't worry: I'm going to sit here and guard your front door so none of your cats get out until someone can come and fix it.'"

Totally redefined what I thought I knew about one of my friends.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    All faith in humanity lost thanks to Te'o. Sorry

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Small things: I get reverse pick pocketed all of the time. I'll do something dumb with my wallet or leave a shopping bag full of stuff I just bought somewhere, and someone always ends-up having my back and rushing it over to me.

With Love and Courage
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Someone appears to have misplaced a bowl of onions in this thread. Very careless of whoever did it. (You guys are awesome).

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    2009:

declining_crime_rates500%283%29.jpg

2010:

NA-BN372A_CRIME_G_20110919192706.jpg

2011:

NA-BO620A_CRIME_G_20111219200303.jpg

I can't find a figure for 2012, but I'm confident it was yet another decline.

EDIT:

cancrime.png

Lowest crime rate since the 70s in Canada.

Though we're still toking and telling The Man to shove it when we need to.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A couple of months ago we had a new client at my firm who was asking for some very aggressive tax structuring. She asked us a question that seemed impossible. My partner said "I don't think we can do this." I responded with a very technical answer about how we could do what the client was asking (which was almost literally to find a way for her to pay no taxes). My partner responded "I don't mean that we can't find a way, I just don't think we can do this because its wrong." And so we told the client we would not do this for her.

This is not my story. This is a story that was posted in the Strange & Embarrassing Moments thread a few years back. But it bears repeating. It's part of the mythos of these forums.

It involves a hill, a lockbox, and a grass fire.
    kedinik wrote: »
    Back in high school my friends and I used to hike up this mountain that overlooked our hometown. We designed a flag featuring (among other things) a drawing of Chewbacca, and we each signed it. We posted the flag on a PVC pipe that we glued to a rock formation. Another group of hikers left a lockbox and a notebook on the peak, so people began leaving journal entries and signing the flag when they visited. We graduated and attended different colleges, but we still got together and climbed back up to our old flag during holidays.

A string of wild fires broke out during our freshman year, including one that surrounded our home town. The fire fighters kept the fire from destroying any homes, but I saw news footage of our flag mountain engulfed in flames. I returned home and climbed the mountain the next chance that I got.

From the mountain's base I could already see that the flag was gone, but I wanted to survey the damages and check for the logbook. I walked through several miles of blackened, burned out brush to reach the top. It was extremely desolate, so I was even a little bit more depressed when I reached the peak than when I began the hike. However, two awesome things greeted me at journey's end:

1) Our PVC flag staff had been replaced with a far-superior metal rod that was driven into the ground.
    2) The lockbox and logbook survived.

I flipped through the logbook, checking for entries post-fire, and found the following:

---
    I made my way up here as soon as possible and did all that I could. Unfortunately, I was unable to save the flag. We have installed a new flag post for your future use.

I shall return when the mountain burns again.

-The Fire Chief

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    This is not my story. This is a story that was posted in the Strange & Embarrassing Moments thread a few years back. But it bears repeating. It's part of the mythos of these forums.

It involves a hill, a lockbox, and a grass fire.
    kedinik wrote: »
    Back in high school my friends and I used to hike up this mountain that overlooked our hometown. We designed a flag featuring (among other things) a drawing of Chewbacca, and we each signed it. We posted the flag on a PVC pipe that we glued to a rock formation. Another group of hikers left a lockbox and a notebook on the peak, so people began leaving journal entries and signing the flag when they visited. We graduated and attended different colleges, but we still got together and climbed back up to our old flag during holidays.

A string of wild fires broke out during our freshman year, including one that surrounded our home town. The fire fighters kept the fire from destroying any homes, but I saw news footage of our flag mountain engulfed in flames. I returned home and climbed the mountain the next chance that I got.

From the mountain's base I could already see that the flag was gone, but I wanted to survey the damages and check for the logbook. I walked through several miles of blackened, burned out brush to reach the top. It was extremely desolate, so I was even a little bit more depressed when I reached the peak than when I began the hike. However, two awesome things greeted me at journey's end:

1) Our PVC flag staff had been replaced with a far-superior metal rod that was driven into the ground.
    2) The lockbox and logbook survived.

I flipped through the logbook, checking for entries post-fire, and found the following:

---
    I made my way up here as soon as possible and did all that I could. Unfortunately, I was unable to save the flag. We have installed a new flag post for your future use.

I shall return when the mountain burns again.

-The Fire Chief

I awesome'd this, and then went back to the original post and awesome'd that too. Because that story? It deserves 2 awesomes.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @The Ender Crime is down quite a bit in New York City, especially murders and other violent crime, except for thefts of Apple products, which are through the roof. So, it still somewhat restores my faith in humanity that people would rather steal your iPhone than kill you in New York City now.

• fyastarterfyastarter Registered User regular
    I felt good because I walked an old dudes dog a few times. Start small I guess :)

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I always look forward to I shall return when the mountain burns again.

The most badass way to arrange eight words.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I spent the majority of New Years drunk, walking up and down Main Street in Richmond, giving out the AAA number because they were running a free shuttle service the anyone who looked like they were thinking about driving.

And at Target a few weeks ago, a young lady let me cut in front of her in line because she had a basket full of dog food and dog toys and I had a Coke Zero, when there was only one lane open. I was reluctant at first, because she had, by rights, gotten in line ahead of me, but I accepted, and thanked her.

She said, "I don't think there are very many nice people out there anymore, so I try to make up for it."

Which struck me on a weirdly personal level. So I paid for her dog food.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    A few years ago, I was at a Blockbuster with some friends. We were all trying to pick out a movie to watch, and I had wandered off from the main group to look at the independent film section. While I was perusing, a mother with two teenage daughters were at the register, asking the man behind the counter if they had any copies of 'What Happens in Vegas' left, which was that Ashton Kutcher, Cameron Diaz movie. I've seen it, and it wasn't very good, but when the cashier told them that the last rental copy just walked out of the store, the kids looked deflated, with the older one turning to her mom and going, "Dad has a copy at his place. Just take us back there." In turn, this deflated the mom.

"We'll find something else."

On the wall I was standing in front of, buried between new releases, was a sale copy of 'What Happens in Vegas.' I bought it and left it at the counter, instructing the cashier to give it to the family on their way out but not tell them where it came from.

I collected my friends and we left to play minigolf.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    I spent the majority of New Years drunk, walking up and down Main Street in Richmond, giving out the AAA number because they were running a free shuttle service the anyone who looked like they were thinking about driving.

And at Target a few weeks ago, a young lady let me cut in front of her in line because she had a basket full of dog food and dog toys and I had a Coke Zero, when there was only one lane open. I was reluctant at first, because she had, by rights, gotten in line ahead of me, but I accepted, and thanked her.

She said, "I don't think there are very many nice people out there anymore, so I try to make up for it."

Which struck me on a weirdly personal level. So I paid for her dog food.

A few weeks back a let a teenager go ahead of me in Target because he (she? honestly, he/she was so androgynous that I couldn't quite tell) had a couple of dog toys and a pack of gum. Then when he got to the register, he was trying to cash out a Target gift card, but he didn't have enough stuff to bring the gift card under the cash-out threshold.

He was practically begging the cashier to let him cash it out and she said she couldn't because the register won't let her. So I just bought the gift card off of him with cash.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Today I braved ice and snow and broken buses to arrive in time for my final 12.5 hour shift at my HD placement. Me and the mentor were due to triage, which despite being potentially heavy was typically light so we'd have plenty of time to sort my documents out and do a final interview and all that good stuff. Yeah, no. Half the staff were sick or just stranded by snow, so my easy final triage shift became a fuckfest of looking after 10 patients solo. That doesn't sound like a lot, I guess, but 10 heavily sick people are a lotta work for a lone student.

At about 9 am, already pretty strung out from stress and just flat out tired, I get poked in the back by a ward clark saying "sorry, I don't know your name?"

So I say, and ask what's up?

She says "what did you want?"

I am confused.

She goes on "matron is getting us all coffee"

Hospital coffee sucks. But it's a nice gesture, so I say "get me a hot chocolate or something!"

A few hours pass, I figure it was forgotten about. I emerge from a room where serious shit had just occurred to find a steaming gourmet hot chocolate from some fancy ass corner coffee shop sitting there in the paper cup, my name in permanent marker on it.

Turns out it took so long because the matron was not, in fact, on duty today. She had come in to thank everyone else for coming in despite the shitty conditions, then left to get the drinks and came back to help out on her own time.

Oh brilliant
    About six years ago, I was at a friend's house, meeting new people. During the regular discourse, I found out that one of the eighteen year olds in the group was going to sell off their virginity for $60 to someone they kind of knew from high school.

I didn't really know what to do, and that situation didn't seem right, so I offered $100 for her to not go through with it and to wait until she was with someone she cared about.

I paid her later that week, and I just found out yesterday that she's engaged to her first boyfriend, whom she met a few weeks after I gave her the money.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    A few years back I was substitute teaching. I got brought into a class long term, starting a little before the end of the first semester and going to the end of the school year.

It was an urban school without a ton of funding, but I eventually got the classes into some semblance of order. At the end of the year, the English departments had students write thank you notes to some of their teachers. I ended up with a pretty decent stack, but my favorite was from a student that had been suspended/in alternative education when I first got there, and returned to class sometime in the second semester.

It just said, "Thanks for not treating me differently even though I was at [Alternative Education Campus]."

It wasn't a conscious effort on my part, but getting that note really made my whole year. You never know who is going to notice a kindness.

(PS: Secular humanist high five)

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I started to think that my faith in humanity was misplaced when this thread slipped to the second page after getting less than a full page worth of posts. Thanks for bringing it back. :)

Edit: by that, I mean I was worried that we had seen the last of the good stories posted.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    When I was working for the Obama campaign in Richmond, local supporters brought food to the office every evening (except possibly weekends; I worked from home then, so I don't know), enough for everyone to have a small plate after several hours of work. They could have bought snacks from the store (and there was a bit of that), but almost every time, they cooked for us. Baked ziti, lasagna, barbecue, garlic bread, brownies, oh man it was so delicious after six hours of working and not eating. And they did all this not for payment, but just to make sure we had something substantial in our bellies, because that was something they could do to help the campaign, and us.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I was on my way to work one morning and the highway traffic was unusually heavy for a clear day. I didn't have a chance to pick up some coffee or tea on the way to work; I was a bit sleepy still. So when a green Volkswagen Beetle about 5 cars up made a lane change by rolling over, I was slightly confused... until it skidded to a halt on its roof and erupted with a huge burst of smoke. All traffic around me stopped, but before I got boxed in, I pulled into the grass and ran as fast as I could toward the scene.

It turns out, a VW Passat rear-ended the Beetle and sent it hurtling onto its roof down the highway. The Passat front end was gone right up to the engine. I thought two things when I arrived: someone is dead, and no one is going to help.

I was wrong about both.

People who had seen the accident in their rear view mirror, who didn't have to stop because they were past the accident, pulled over and helped me get the lady in the flipped Beetle out of her car. She had virtually no injuries and the lady in the sedan had minor cuts to her hand. I still called 911 and asked for paramedics because I didn't know if there was any internal bleeding. Some cars try to drive straight through the scene over the debris, but people with me stopped them before they could make it. Then an Air Force officer on the way to the base runs up to the scene and starts directing traffic around the accident. He also points out that the cars involved are not going to explode or anything because the one is just leaking transmission fluid and wiper fluid, and the flipped car engine was turned off. We all waited until the police arrive and then relieved us from the scene.

So yeah, random people help pull a lady out of her car that flipped on the highway and ensure everything is safe before police arrive.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • grcarogrcaro Registered User regular
    Vasili Arkhipov is always a profound person in history to me.
    Vasili_Arkhipov.jpg

Vasili Arkhipov was a Soviet naval officer on a submarine carrying a nuclear torpedo off the coast of Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis. Their submarine had lost communication with the Soviet fleet and the captain thought world war 3 had started. This next part I'll just c+p from wiki:

''Three officers on board the submarine – Savitsky, the political officer Ivan Semonovich Maslennikov, and the second-in-command Arkhipov – were authorized to launch the torpedo if agreeing unanimously in favor of doing so. An argument broke out among the three, in which only Arkhipov was against the launch...

Arkhipov eventually persuaded Savitsky to surface the submarine and await orders from Moscow. This presumably averted the nuclear warfare which could possibly have ensued had the torpedo been fired. ''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov

grcaro.blogspot.com
    edited January 2013
    These are all marvelous.

I was sixteen or so. My mom and I were driving back toward the house after I'd cashed in the check I'd gotten from gradma for christmas. On the side of the road was a young mother and her three year daughter.

The mother was holding a sign that said, "Run out of gas. Just trying to get home. Please help."

As we pulled up to where they were standing, I rolled down the window and handed her all the money I'd just cashed out. The mother thanked me, but didn't realize I'd given them fifty bucks until we'd rolled away. In the side mirror I watched as, stunned, the mother showed the money to the little girl who did the cutest little happy dance.

I related this story to classmates the next day. Their responce was, "What if she was conning you. I would have kept my money."

To which I replied, "What if she wasn't? You really would just leave someone who might need help on the side of the road? It was just money."

(P.S. @Lord Palington : Return secular humanist high five. The highest of fives!)

Oniros25 on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I've temporarily taken in three people who didn't have anywhere else to go and didn't have money for a hotel. One of them just needed somewhere to stay for a couple weeks until a paycheck came in so he could make a deposit on a room. Another just needed somewhere stable for a bit so she could look for a more permanent place, and the third, once she had a chance to get her situation under control and moved out, ended up doing the same thing herself and letting people stay with her so they could get their lives back under control.

It never really seemed like it was a big deal to me that I was doing it - I had a roof and space for someone - but as they said, little gestures like that for some people can mean the difference between life and death.

edited January 2013
    I was trying to explain it to an old friend over Xbox, as to why doing nice things or making nice gestures is important. Part of me knows that I'm fighting a losing war against the way the world is, but to cave to cynicism would be quitting. I told him about the girl I paid to not sleep with a stranger.

"She probably slept with the other guy anyway."

"I don't think she did."

"Why? You probably got conned."

"I don't think I did."

"Why?"

"Because I can't think like that. It's a trap, dude. And if my thoughts automatically default to that, I've lost entirely. It's thinking that the right choice for everyone will be the worst choice, and then I'd stop trying to make things better. It'd be admitting defeat."

"How?"

"How is it anything but that?"

He couldn't answer.

I also told another guy in our XBL party about the 'What Happens in Vegas' thing, and his response was, "That was like, $20 you could have spent on yourself."

"Yeah, but they needed a win more than I needed the money."

"Why?"

"Because they did."

"I woulda bought myself something."

At which point I shut up and went back to playing Borderlands without speaking.

MalReynolds on
    I was trying to explain it to an old friend over Xbox, as to why doing nice things or making nice gestures is important. Part of me knows that I'm fighting a losing war against the way the world is, but to cave to cynicism would be quitting. I told him about the girl I paid to not sleep with a stranger.

"She probably slept with the other guy anyway."

"I don't think she did."

"Why? You probably got conned."

"I don't think I did."

"Why?"

"Because I can't think like that. It's a trap, dude. And if my thoughts automatically default to that, I've lost entirely. It's thinking that the right choice for everyone will be the worst choice, and then I'd stop trying to make things better. It'd be admitting defeat."

"How?"

"How is it anything but that?"

He couldn't answer.

I also told another guy in our XBL party about the 'What Happens in Vegas' thing, and his response was, "That was like, $20 you could have spent on yourself."

"Yeah, but they needed a win more than I needed the money."

"Why?"

"Because they did."

"I woulda bought myself something."

At which point I shut up and went back to playing Borderlands without speaking.

Don't give up on people, buddy! You did the right thing. Gotta keep on going, no matter what. Can't stop the signal, Mal...

I struggle with cynicism more than alcohol, weight, dance moves that require more than three steps in rapid momentum, any type of math that uses letters instead of numbers and some math that uses big numbers or symbols to represent numbers, calculating vectors, being able to kick the top of door frames, setting fires, my allergies to cats, the side business I run ghost busting, karaoke, drift-racing, kickboxing, being chased by things, color coordination, not being partially color blind, dressing myself, learning new knots, re-learing how to tie old knots that I've been tying wrong for years, watching Dance Moms, deadlifting my bodyweight, keeping my focus at work, maintaining long distance friendships, remembering where Drunk Mal hid my phone (last weekend, it was in a box of hot pockets on a hibachi!), remembering where I put my shoes, remembering to pay my car insurance monthly, remembering all the reports I have to run at work, remembering to buy bananas (note to self: don't forget again, dummy), putting out fires I set, and trampolines in general.

But I try.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    For my birthday last October, I wanted to upgrade my video card. I had a ~$50 budget, and was trying to get the most bang for the buck.

In G&T, I asked for advice on what to buy, and a fellow PAer gave me a Radeon 6870 (~$200 card) he had sitting around for the price of shipping from Australia.

When I was working for the Obama campaign in Richmond, local supporters brought food to the office every evening (except possibly weekends; I worked from home then, so I don't know), enough for everyone to have a small plate after several hours of work. They could have bought snacks from the store (and there was a bit of that), but almost every time, they cooked for us. Baked ziti, lasagna, barbecue, garlic bread, brownies, oh man it was so delicious after six hours of working and not eating. And they did all this not for payment, but just to make sure we had something substantial in our bellies, because that was something they could do to help the campaign, and us.

Shit, man, I did some volunteer canvassing out of that office when I wrapped up my other stuff, we should have hit up Bottoms Up for pizza at some point.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Here's something that I've been enjoying.

Today we celebrate the beginning of the second term for the first black president on MLK Day.

Basically everything about that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Lh96QHG.png
    Here's something that I've been enjoying.

Today we celebrate the beginning of the second term for the first black president on MLK Day.

Basically everything about that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Not too shabby, really. Especially when you consider where we were at seven or eight years ago.

I remember when Big O got ellected in the first place. I was pleased and completely fine when I heard it was offical. Texted all my friends and family who I knew were also celebrating.

That night as I was turning down to sleep, I had an errant thought: Maybe America isn't a lost cause after all...

I literally crashed to my knees and started crying with relief. I hadn't even realized I'd written us off as a failed experiment until that moment and I was so very happy to be proven wrong.