As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh hey also does anybody know if Pathfinder: Heroes & Monsters miniatures line is still doing good about stacking the bricks so that a given brick doesn't contain any duplicates? I know when that line first came out they were pretty great about that. Probably drove sales up, I know quite a few people who just straight hot bought entire bricks (I bought one). I have recently come into enough funding to make it worth buying another, and the entire series spans two bricks, so I'm hoping I can get lucky and find one that's got all the ones I don't have.

Anybody know anything about it?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    did they ever adjust Blade Cascade to not be completely fucking out of control

• Options
    did they ever adjust Blade Cascade to not be completely fucking out of control

Yeah that was actually an early update. It cuts off at five attacks.

• Options
    I wish I could find an implement attack that counted as a melee basic attack.

I'm working up an idea for a Bard build. I can get Eldritch Blast fairly easily, and if I could stack an implement MBA on top of that, it'd be nice since I wouldn't have to carry a weapon then. I could just use implements for everything.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Just an example of how ridiculous damage rolls can get in B23

in Battlelords, see, you have a base weapon damage (say a longsword has d8, which it actually does!)

But then things like strength damage are added onto that in the form of a dice, not a number. So if you have enough strength and size for a +6 you get a D6. If you have enough for a +9, however, you get a D6 and a D3. It's fucking weird, is what it is. And then, you do the same with your levels in a weapon skill. So if you have a weapon skill of whatever then you get your attack matrix improved but you also get a damage bonus based on level which could be the same.

And then, you have the FIST system which multiplies unarmed damage by a certain amount depending on how good the system is. Combine that with a Matrix Power that increases force to your opponents and you are looking at silly dice. I think it was unarmed damage base of D4 improved to D12 due to the Matrix and then times by 10 because of the FIST system and then plus a D6 and a D3 for strength and a D8 with a D3 for levels.

So 10D12+D8+D6+2D3

roll up and add damage! roll on this d100 hit location chart! Subtract armour threshold! Deal damage to armour absorbtion and seperate damage to armour integrity! Did we get through the armour? Yes! Calculate opponents critical raiting based on a quarter of their current, not starting, current body points. You critted! He has to roll a system shock check! He passed, but now is at minus thirty agility to everything!

Okay so now we take his percentile agility stat and reduce it by thirty to calculate his current agility and from that we figure out the skill, attack and defence modifiers all on a percentile scale...

And this? This is one second. Combat rounds take one second.

it was like

guys

guys

this is silly

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also hey have any of you guys heard of the game dawnforge?

because I have seen mention of it and it sounds really cool

a high fantasy game set in the age of legends for it's own setting, instead of placing that in the past

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hrm, intriguing, elaborate

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i am currently trying to think of ways to put gnomes in as cannon fodder enemies without making it seem forced. goblins i tend to use like smarter vermin. they're clever, but they breed like fucking rabbits so you will never be rid of them all, but gnomes, this is a bigger stretch to make.

make gnomes into ants

they swarm, they build fortifications and burrows with eerie hivemind-like cooperation, if you find one then others are sure to follow, they descend upon food supplies and useful materials and break them down and transport them back to their gnomehives to be catalogued and stored

lack of pain response and using saliva mixed with chewed materials to make a form of natural cement optional

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    hm, maybe they ride giant ants.

I have yet to use giant ants in any real way. everyone needs a trusty steed.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    bonus: this way you get to have a giant monster with huge digging claws and a long sticky tongue called a gnomeater

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    i could do that anyway.

I'm actually kinda shocked i hadn't already.

I will take these ideas into consideration.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Got the d&d 4e essentials rule compendium today as the only other 4e rules I have are just gamma world

Enjoying having this

• Options
    i keep wanting to pick that up, but then i remember i have every player's handbook, and that would be silly.

Still, seems to be a useful "here are all the rules you will ever need, and some you won't!"

• Options
    I am sorta glad that I didn't bother with the other rule books

Between the keep on the shadowfell PDF, the demo character creator, the quick start rules PDF, my three gamma world books, and this

I think I'm good?

• Options
    Depend son your plans, really. if you ever wanted to run a DnD game using stuff over level 3 and with classes after i want to say phb2 and such you'd need some more stuff, but for gamma world you are way over prepared.
    Well, actually to run a game, i guess you don't really need to have much to make characters, so, yeah i guess you're good and ready for anything.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Pony told me he has The One Ring and I am totes curious to hear his thoughts on this.

My main gaming group has gotten a bit small with a couple dudes moving away and stuff so I was asking my buddies if there was anyone they knew who they thought might enjoy a Middle-Earth game. One of them was like "oh man we could totally invite [Joe], he loves Tolkien!" I've met this dude and he's cool, he's this giant 40-year-old gay dude with a full head of totally white hair and super thick coke-bottle glasses - a very memorable character. Someone texted him "what do u think about playing a game where u can be a hobbit??" and in thirty seconds we get a reply "THEY ARE A FINE AND NOBLE RACE!"

• Options
    Totes up to the players to manufacture their dudes

I can make a rival party from level 1-3 if I had to, up to ten if I used mutant heroes

And i can make up basically everything else monster and campaign wise

I should be fine/should consider running a thing when I'm feeling stable enough

• Options
    For DMing? Yeah I'd say you're generally good. Nowadays most people have their own player resources.

Some more monsters would be good to have, and the Monster Vaults and MM3 have some great stuff.

Also the Dark Sun guide has some nasty shit in it.

• Options
    aye, could easily run a heroic campaign, higher tiers i might recommend picking up the monster vault or such, but i don't know if the rules compendium has the how to make monster rules. if it does then can easily homebrew everything.

• Options
    I know how to make monsters up to level 13 based on gamma world's nastier stuff

I dunno how long I would run the campaign for anyway

• Options
    The how-to-make-monsters rules have been updated enough times that you can get everything you need out of the Rules Updates.

Page 46 of the fully compiled update document.
    Page 7 (last page) of the DMG update document.

• Options
    Excellent.

• Options
    man, monster vault 1 and 2 have some mean things in them. mm3 i have only gone through once or twice, nothing really grabbed me, but apparently has some rad stuff.

Only thing that stands out to me is man, Lolth got some hips man.

• Options
    Hm. Could put gamma world in the far realms.

• Options
    man, monster vault 1 and 2 have some mean things in them. mm3 i have only gone through once or twice, nothing really grabbed me, but apparently has some rad stuff.

Only thing that stands out to me is man, Lolth got some hips man.

Lolth is the second highest level creature in the game.

Bahamut has one level on her.

Also, yeah @antimatter I'm thinking Aberrants and Demons would be a pretty good place to start for some D&D monsters to bring into GW.

The trick to the generic monster generation rules is A) I don't know how well that stacks up to Gamma World stuff, it's meant more for 4e level difficulty (not quite as rough as GW, iirc), and B) You have to flavor to taste. Easiest way is through damage types, and just stealing stuff from other monsters.

Also it's super easy to take a given monster of any given level, and just use those rules to do the level adjustment. That's pretty effective.

What I'll normally do for damage expressions is find the creature's current damage expression on that chart, then move up the appropriate number of levels. Some monsters have higher/lower damage, and I assume it's for a reason, and try to maintain that variance.

Plus you can always screw with the dice numbers. They're meant to balance around average damage. So if it's 4d6 + 10 then you know they're shooting for 24 average damage, and can do something like 2d12 + 9 if you want to use different dice. Or 2d8 + 15 if you want to make sure it hurts at least a certain amount.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm contemplating going to a Pathfinder Society game

yes/no?

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm contemplating going to a Pathfinder Society game

yes/no?

I've heard good things.

The local PS played both on Living Forgotten Realm's night, and on the night my group was meeting at the game shop.

Some of the DMs can be a bit brutal, but as far as I know, it's decent on average. For public play, anyway.

• Options
    man, it's not even about level. i don't actually recall anything about her statblock outside of the fact she has two forms. i just keep getting my eyes drawn to the art used.

• Options
    man, it's not even about level. i don't actually recall anything about her statblock outside of the fact she has two forms. i just keep getting my eyes drawn to the art used.

I am extremely not disagreeing with you.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    For those who don't understand:
    excerpts_20100607.jpg

She may be evil, but those hips don't lie.

Tox on
  • Options
    and now i have shakira stuck in my head.

• Options
    Oh also, I don't know if GW used minions or not, but use minions.

To make them tougher, give them a property that says the first time they take damage, they make a save. If they save, they take no damage. I usually bloody them for effect.

I've straight up run minions that had that, only they didn't get bloodied. Then, the first time they take damage, they're bloodied (unless it's a crit, then they just die).

Then I gave them a property that said when they're reduced to 0 hit points, they don't die until the end of their next turn, at which point they use a Close Burst 2 power and explode.

My players were.....not amused.

• Options
    i just gave them 2hp and a property that said they couldn't take more than 1 damage per attack.

• Options
    GW has minions yeah

• Options
    I've also used minions that had Resist 20 all but x, where x is one specific damage type.

At really low levels, you can also just give minions like 10 THP, and that makes it a bit harder to kill them in one hit.

I seriously love being a dick with minions.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Minions are my favorite concept from 4e

Just

Such a good idea

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    also for boss fights i typically had the solo monster and endless minions that would fie or flee when the boss was dead, helps balance out the encounter some with older lower level monsters because most players are smart and good enough to lock down a single target.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I incorporated minions into Legend and it worked so well. I agree with you Dubh, minions are almost as awesome as that Lolth artwork.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I remember my DM doing an interesting take on minions.

All the usual rules apply, except at the top of the turn, each downed minion rolls a save and those who passed got back up, sorta like how Trollkin work in Hordes.

And of course there was always the cascading suicide minion trick.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    sullijo wrote: »
    DE?AD wrote: »
    As someone who looked at a bit of FATE and was never super blown away by its execution of its premise

how likely am I to like FATE Core?

Not very? The rules haven't been dramatically changed. What was it you didn't care for?

I think part of the reason people are pumped about the KS is the amount of supplemental material going along with it that show how to adapt Fate to different settings and genres. Fred, the guy behind the project, recommended that people put in $1 on the Kickstarter; that gives you access to the draft rules and a bunch of previews of the setting documents (they just released four more last night). If it's not your thing you can cancel your funding. If you like it, back it at $10 and you'll get thousands of pages worth of PDFs as the books and other documents are finished.

Edit: Evil Hat just posted a rough video talking about what's new in Fate Core:

Basically, I loved the notion of what FATE was, but I found the execution a little... cluttered? Confused?

You have this notion of cinematic, open gameplay, but it's the way it handled its split between skills, aspects, and stunts always felt jumbled. Hard and soft in the wrong places. Also, having to spend Fate points to invoke your Aspects seemed to be a really weird limitation to throw into a game about character.

Granted, this was all based on what I've read of Spirit of the Century, and I'm not saying the system is bad just that it doesn't quite jibe with my notions of cinematic gameplay.

This discussion has been closed.