As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    plus then ghosts can't possess old nintendo games, and then what will creepy pasta be?

Nothin'

They'll be nothin'

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    plus then ghosts can't possess old nintendo games, and then what will creepy pasta be?

Nothin'

They'll be nothin'

N-no!

also, technolich to be the next dance craze.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    i personally am not a big fan of magic and technology not mixing.

I can usually get the reasoning for it, but personally i like the idea of a lich being the centre of a data network, or trolls using electric fences as armour.

Normally I agree.

In this case, it was a way to avoid a whole lot of rules complications from trying to get modern tech to work in D&D.

DE?AD on
    yeah, that's fair enough.

I would just nerf the guns from gamma world or make them slightly better crossbows personally.

actually that's what i did. it's okay. i also put a bunch of restrictions on them that i am reconsidering.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Also, I'm a really big fan of "modern day stuff with D&D specifics".

I.E. Leather Jacket +3 of Fireshroud. Nerf Pistol +1.

Ford Fiesta of Mauling +3

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    My only problem with Magitech is that it doesn't really fit in a typical D&D setting. Technology in generally seems out of place, though, which is the source of the issue.

It'd be great in Eberron, and if I ever run an Eberron game there will totally be a technoLich at some point, now that I have that idea in my head.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    tox, we all saw it.

It was BotP! :P

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I like my magic to be dangerous and mysterious, a kind of unreality. But that doesn't really work for D&D.

and my following post was at the top of the page.

Grog wrote: »
    I like my magic to be dangerous and mysterious, a kind of unreality. But that doesn't really work for D&D.

It depends on the setting. In WoD, I like magic that's sort of on a bell curve. "Cantrip" level stuff should be shit that Mages can just fucking do (but counts toward domino effect and shit), but actual real deal reality warping zomgMagick should be very unpredictable and powerful.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    My only problem with Magitech is that it doesn't really fit in a typical D&D setting. Technology in generally seems out of place, though, which is the source of the issue.

It'd be great in Eberron, and if I ever run an Eberron game there will totally be a technoLich at some point, now that I have that idea in my head.

If by D&D you mean Tolkien's D&D, I suppose i can agree with you to a point, but even that had bombs and gunpowder and machinations of Sauron. He was all about industrialization and tech. Perhaps not computer tech, but the concept is still sound.

Then again Final Fantasy was a formative part of my fantasy world growing up, so . . .
    Ford Fiesta of Mauling +3

My wife owns one of those.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited January 2013
    Tolkien doesn't have a version of D&D.

Dungeons and Dragons has a version of it.

That is the version I am referring to.

Also nothing about Tolkien stuff was ever really magitech, though. Like, yes, there was magic, yes there was technology. They were two totally different disciplines.

Tox on
    machine guns are epic level items.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    D&D is nothing like Tolkien

D&D is Swords and Sorcery with some elves and dwarfs in it

Solar on
    Tolkien doesn't have a version of D&D.

Dungeons and Dragons has a version of it.

That is the version I am referring to.

Also nothing about Tolkien stuff was ever really magitech, though. Like, yes, there was magic, yes there was technology. They were two totally different disciplines.

My notion of D&D covers "stuff that was made for 4th ed" and "things that I read from 3rd ed", so my concept of D&D is limited to that. ;)

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    if I ever actually ran a real DnD setting game I would not be able to resist pulling the twist that one old computer game did
    might and magic?

where the fantasy world is a spaceborne colony ship whose occupants have forgotten where they were and the players are fighting robots and stuff by the end

0BnD8l3.gif
    My concept of D&D is:

Greyhawk
    Forgotten Realms
    Dragonlance
    Dark Sun
    Planescape
    Eberron
    Points of Light
    Nentir Vale

I'm convinced I'm missing at least one in there.

Magitech could work in Eberron very well, and potentially in Planescape, depending on how you used it. Also I've seen it done in Dragonlance with tinker gnomes.

Outside of that, however, I think technology and magic work better as separate disciplines. They can interact, but they shouldn't heavily overlap.

My concept of D&D is:

Greyhawk
    Forgotten Realms
    Dragonlance
    Dark Sun
    Planescape
    Eberron
    Points of Light
    Nentir Vale

I'm convinced I'm missing at least one in there.

Magitech could work in Eberron very well, and potentially in Planescape, depending on how you used it. Also I've seen it done in Dragonlance with tinker gnomes.

Outside of that, however, I think technology and magic work better as separate disciplines. They can interact, but they shouldn't heavily overlap.

To each their own, I suppose. I <3 magic, tech ,and the possible criss-crosses thereof.

Magitech is the best thing ever when used right

I like settings with and without it but if you make magitech a cool part of a setting I am there man

I am there

Yeah I think it just depends on the setting. I guess I could see it being pulled off in Forgotten Realms, as well, if done carefully.

But really in a "traditional" D&D setting, I don't think it's a good fit. Like, ain't no magimechs in Conan. King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table didn't have to defend Camelot from a droid invasion.

It can work well when done carefully. Sometimes, though, it's just not a good fit for the setting. Other times, it's a natural element.

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table didn't have to defend Camelot from a droid invasion.

oh man, but imagine if they did.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table didn't have to defend Camelot from a droid invasion.

Star Wars Prequels.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Power Rangers set in D&D

Five peasants with attitude recruited by the demigod Zor-Dan to foil the plans of a demon lord

Blessed with suits of magical armor

When something big attacks the township, they mount literal dinosaurs to fight it off

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Adventurers running into alien spaceships full of blasters cannons and shit has been pretty much a part of D&D since day one.

Hell, Blackmoor was pretty much built on that idea.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Dubh wrote: »
    Power Rangers set in D&D

Five peasants with attitude recruited by the demigod Zor-Dan to foil the plans of a demon lord

When something big attacks the township, they mount literal dinosaurs to fight it off

yeah I'd play it

Spelljammer! That was the other one I was thinking of.

Although I think Spelljammer is technically just part of planescape. In 4e though Spelljammer could be a rad setting.

Instead of points of light in the world just chunks of rock in the Astral Sea. The world never became a thing, or blew up or something. So all the Fey and Shadow races are just sort of colonizing "space" and then you have the immortal races of the Astral Sea like the Gith and the Deva and shit.

Could be a lot of fun.

edited January 2013

That's where mind went, in fact.
    Solar wrote: »
    Power Rangers set in D&D

yeah I'd play it

As would I.

Kalnaur on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Power Rangers set in D&D

yeah I'd play it

I just really want that one scene where a player disarms the main villain and back him against a cliff edge

"WHO ARE YOU?!"

"Me? I'm just a farmer."

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Roll saving throw against thread closure.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Best DnD setting are:

5) Forgotten Realms - the old standard
    4) Dark Sun - Blackhole sun, won't you come?
    3) Planescape - can easily get out of hand, but so fun and creative
    2) Ebberon - magitech is besttech
    1) Spell Jammer - Fuck yeah spell jammer

Power Rangers set in D&D

yeah I'd play it

I just really want that one scene where a player disarms the main villain and back him against a cliff edge

"WHO ARE YOU?!"

"Me? I'm just a farmer."

Makes me think of Izumi in FMA. :D

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I mainly agree with Bucketman, except swap Ravenloft in for Spelljammer.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ravenloft is cool, I like the gothic setting, but the 8 year old in me loves magic space ships even more

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    spell jammer is awful what is wrong with you skragg

PiptheFair wrote: »
    spell jammer is awful what is wrong with you skragg

But Giff!

LYkoFqr.gif

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ravenloft is cool, I like the gothic setting, but the 8 year old in me loves magic space ships even more

I can't fault you there.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    what's so bad about spell jammer?

This discussion has been closed.