As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - The thread is going down! Abandon thread, abandon thread!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Should I go full retard with the highest i7? I'd imagine the xeon would be fine, this guy's a GP he's probably not doing more than 2-3 xrays every 45 minutes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    3lcd.jpg

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    This has been bugging me for a while - my case's usb 3.0 header/plug does not have "locking tabs*"...so it will not stay in place when I plug it into the mobo. Is there a way around this? So far the best i can come up with is to get an extension cable for it and wrap the junction with electrical tape so it doesn't come apart.

*I dunno what the term for it is. That's the best description i could come up with. It's these two extrusions on either side of the connector which prevent it from falling out.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Should I go full retard with the highest i7? I'd imagine the xeon would be fine, this guy's a GP he's probably not doing more than 2-3 xrays every 45 minutes.

You can never be wrong if you do exactly what the idiots tell you to do.

That said an i7 might not be a bad choice. If medical imaging is the way I recall the app is not multithreaded so they would benefit from higher clocks in turbo mode. Not sure about IGP vs discrete, but I wouldn't be surprised if HD4K was good enough for dicking around with contrast on a monochromatic image.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

You can never be wrong if you do exactly what the idiots tell you to do.

That said an i7 might not be a bad choice. If medical imaging is the way I recall the app is not multithreaded so they would benefit from higher clocks in turbo mode. Not sure about IGP vs discrete, but I wouldn't be surprised if HD4K was good enough for dicking around with contrast on a monochromatic image.

I might stick with discreet since they also want double video out. All around looks solid so, meh.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Alright, computer build thread, work me a miracle.

I am looking for a minimum price living room computer. If I want it to play games I'll move my desktop- what I really want is netflix/esports streams/web browsing/youtube/what have you in the living room without having to have a tv with those apps in it.

This computer can afford to be as minimum as those features will allow. In fact, I am willing and able to set up and execute a remote boot if it means I only need to have a 4gb flash drive in the back.

How DIY are you? Cause if you're game I'd say get a Raspberry Pi with a decent sized SD card for OS and local scratch file, and install a flavor of Linux provided by the RPi community. That's your cheapest option. If you want to stay in Windows I'd probably do a build around an A4 APU as I've seen those go on sale as low as $20.

Dell Ophelia project looks very interesting, but no word on release yet.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    How DIY are you? Cause if you're game I'd say get a Raspberry Pi with a decent sized SD card for OS and local scratch file, and install a flavor of Linux provided by the RPi community. That's your cheapest option. If you want to stay in Windows I'd probably do a build around an A4 APU as I've seen those go on sale as low as $20.

Dell Ophelia project looks very interesting, but no word on release yet.

I'll be graduating with a CS degree in may so I am pretty DIY when it is required. That being said, windows would probably be the better option so I can have silverlight.

Tell me about the A4 APU you mentioned. Some cursory glances look like it's a cpu/gpu combined unit- is it going to facilitate HD streaming etc. well?

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    So I figured out what kind of motherboard I have(http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3423#ov), and I think I know what kind of RAM it uses, but I still not sure if I'd be able to update my 4GB ram to this 8GB:
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-PC3-10666-240-Pin-Memory-CMX8GX3M2A1333C9/dp/B003N8GVUY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=UH5FS4JX55F6&coliid=I145CCN5ZA8H61

I keep feeling like I overlooked something. For that matter, is it worth, and possible to update it to 12GB? Any help appreciated.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    gigabyte's spec sheet lists it as supporting up to 16 gigs so i assume it is fine at handling 4gig sticks.

If you're currently running 2x2 you could either drop in 2x4 to bring it up to twelve or replace the 2x2 with 2x4 to get up to 8. I'd recommend the latter, although you can definitely get away with mismatched sticks on many boards

e: you should be able to get a 1600mhz 2x4gig kit for less than that corsair would run you.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited January 2013
    The AMD APU's were basically purpose built for HTPC's and general productivity computing. You don't want this for heavy lifting or for any real gaming, but streaming playback and bluray decode is doable.

The Raspberry Pi is an SoC and my experience with XBMC hub indicates it can do HD streaming just fine; it's not unlike the guts of a hardware settop box like an AppleTV or Roku. For $50 (for device and an SD card, and it's basically sold out everywhere unless you pay markup) you cannot beat the price, but you're going to have to dick around on enthusiast sites and use homebrew/custom Linux or XBMC, also that price does not include a chassis.

Edit: Current gen APU is called trinity, but you can score llanos cheap if you shop around; and they should do if all you want is streaming, video decode and browsing.

Djeet on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I DIDS IT! IT WORKS! The build I posted at the end of the last thread. I DIDS IT (bearing any unknown problems that I have yet to detect)! WOOOO!

Now I have to figure out the Windows 8 interface and oh god why

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    picssssss

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Yes, yes let me judge your wiring job.

I will judge so hard.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So I'm looking at upgrading my video card and putting my 9800GTX+ out to pasture. It plays Rift quite well at 1650 x 1080 on high settings, but I do get some fps issues in heavy areas. I want to be able to play at max video settings (Rift is very pretty even at my current settings) and not spend (much) more than $200 if possible. Any suggestions on cards would be great. Thanks in advance.

Some flavor of 7850 should come in at or a little below 200 and utterly crush your 9800gtx

a 650ti would be a good somewhat cheaper alternative that will still be more than enough for 1650x1080

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    I can't remember the last time I didn't have an nVidia card. I've been out of the video card market for so long, I didn't really know which lines of each card were comparable. Here is a comparison of two 2GB 7850s. One is by HIS (who?) and the other from MSI. The MSI card is $30 more, but has a faster clock speed (950MHz vs 860). Is it worth spending the extra $30 in this instance?

the main advantage of the msi card is a superior cooler, since clocking up the HIS to match the clocks is pretty easy.

the MSI has an extra year of warranty and probably a quieter cooler, but the HIS will most likely not be loud either. If those gains are worth 30$ is something you'll have to consider for yourself.

If you're willing to bump up a bit over $200 anyway you can include GTX660s, which are generally slightly faster than 7850s

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Yes, yes let me judge your wiring job.

I will judge so hard.

no. no...

I borked the alignment of the aftermarket CPU fan but it actually works better for airflow even though it's definitely noticeable that it's tilted (and I'm too lazy/scared to adjust it). Also my freaking SATA cables aren't long enough to reach the optical drive and the SSD/HDD so I had to use two. Fortunately, the PSU is modular so I don't have to hide like 80,000 random huge cables.

I'm so happy my case came with the removable back to hide cable slack, but now the back won't shut properly. I shoved enough shit in there WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT

:/

Gonna get me two 200mm fans for the top and front soon.

Drivers need some love too...

I also need to read up on how to not be stupid at Windows 8. Because right now I am very stupid.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    I also need to read up on how to not be stupid at Windows 8. Because right now I am very stupid.
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows8ProductivityWhoMovedMyCheeseOhThereItIs.aspx

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So I'm looking at upgrading my video card and putting my 9800GTX+ out to pasture. It plays Rift quite well at 1650 x 1080 on high settings, but I do get some fps issues in heavy areas. I want to be able to play at max video settings (Rift is very pretty even at my current settings) and not spend (much) more than $200 if possible. Any suggestions on cards would be great. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing your computer is 4 or 5 years old. So how much longer do you plan on using it before getting a new one?

If you're planning on buying/build a new computer within the next year or two, you could just get a used/refurbished card. GTX 275's go for $70 or $80. GTX 460's and 470's are pretty cheap too.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

I'm guessing your computer is 4 or 5 years old. So how much longer do you plan on using it before getting a new one?

If you're planning on buying/build a new computer within the next year or two, you could just get a used/refurbished card. GTX 275's go for $70 or $80. GTX 460's and 470's are pretty cheap too.

Seconding this.

Any upgrade to your GPU would probably only net you a marginal increase in performance since MMOs are heavily reliant on CPUs, particularly in high population areas/fights. So you'd still see a bit of slowdown especially if your CPU is as old as your current GPU.

EH28YFo.jpg
    FWIW, I have an i3 with 8GB RAM and a newer Intel board. The only thing lacking right now is my GPU, I believe (and probably my hard drive -- an SSD will likely come next).

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nvidia card & as close to $200 as possible?

This is the cheapest GTX660Ti on Newegg, with a $30 dollar rebate (if you can get it).

Or if the $200 is a hard limit, then have a gander at this.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    There are also a couple 560ti's still available on Newegg for right around $200.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »
    There are also a couple 560ti's still available on Newegg for right around $200.

They were $130-140 during the week of Black Friday, and looking at how prices on them still haven't come down (despite being, what, a two year-old part?) I'm kind of regretting not having pounced on a second 560 Ti back then. $140 for roughly twice the performance of my single 560 Ti? Yes please. Ultimately, though, it would've been a stopgap solution between now and a beefy single card down the road.

Totally unrelated question, but how long do you guys usually run Prime95 and/or Furmark to get a feel for your CPU and GPU temps?

~15 minutes and your temps should be roughly stabalized. If they're still climbing give it longer but keep a close eye on things

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Please note there are a shitload of variables there, that's just ballpark estimating for a normal air cooled system

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    So RAM is $22 for 4 gigs in my neck of the woods right now, consequently I will be making a small purchase today and increase my RAM to 8 GB.

This raises a question though. I have a Core i3 220(?) and a GTX 460. Between the CPU and the GPU, what upgrade would give me the best bang for my buck?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Okay, cool. I'm just trying to figure out how to gauge the temp differences between my stock 3570k and a potential OC in the most Rigorous and Scientific™ way possible. For the record, just bumping up the Turbo multiplier is the best way to go, right? And Prime95 will definitely cause it to kick into Turbo/hit the NoS?

Yes, upping the multi is the way to oc. longer test runs will yield more conclusive results but I don't think more than a 30 minute prime run should be needed.

For best results get a thermometer to measure your ambient temps during the run and compare the delta rather then absolute temps

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Compared to Sandy Bridge processors, you're going to want set your goal pretty low since Ivy Bridge CPUs don't overclock as well.

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited January 2013
    The Turbo multiplier atm is 36x (so 3600mhz in Turbo) @ ~60C rendering a 1080p video (I know Prime95 results are a better indicator of temps, but even there it was like a 5C difference). Is raising the multi to 40x right away safe, or should I step up maybe 1x at a time? Given what other people have been saying, 40x seems like a conservative middle-of-the-road OC, but should I still step it up gradually anyway?

Hamurabi on
    40 should be trivial unless you have a really bad chip.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    How I oc on sandy/ivy:set multi to 50, set voltage to 1.4, hope for the best.(don't do this with ivy on air)

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Yes, well, some of us are using pedestrian Hyper212+ setups, sooo...

Really, set it to 40 with voltage untouched, boot and see. until you start pumping volts heat increases in a fairly linear fashion and a 4ghz clock most likely will be fine at stock volts, if not less

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited January 2013
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    The Turbo multiplier atm is 36x (so 3600mhz in Turbo) @ ~60C rendering a 1080p video (I know Prime95 results are a better indicator of temps, but even there it was like a 5C difference). Is raising the multi to 40x right away safe, or should I step up maybe 1x at a time? Given what other people have been saying, 40x seems like a conservative middle-of-the-road OC, but should I still step it up gradually anyway?

Isn't the stock Turbo multiplier 38?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    38 is stock single core turbo. I think all cores turbo is 35, or maybe 36

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    CPU-Z said it was 36x when I was using all 4 cores to render that video (which I assume kicked it into Turbo).

This discussion has been closed.