As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Virginia Senate, or how to turn a tie into a Republican majority in one easy step

DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
I don't know enough Virginia local politics to really evaluate this thing, but it sure seems threadworthy. Let's get down to it.

BREAKING: While Dems Distracted by Inauguration, Virginia Senate GOP Stages a Coup
You don't get more slimy, sneaky, underhanded, etc. than this (great work by Ben Tribbett alerting us to what was going on in the following series of Facebook updates):
"Wow- Republicans in the Virginia Senate are now trying to redraw the maps and draw at least one Democratic Senator out of the Senate. Happening right now on the floor."

"COUP GOING ON IN VIRGINIA SENATE: Republicans have just brought all new Senate districts to the floor with Henry Marsh gone in DC, now 30 minutes of debate before they send them to the House of Delegates."

"COUP SUCCESSFUL- NEW DISTRICTS HEADED TO VIRGINIA HOUSE. AT LEAST ONE DEMOCRATIC SENATOR TO BE OUSTED."

"The Republican redistricting bill creates a 6th majority-minority seat."

After Ben's first Facebook notice, I went to the live feed of the Virginia State Senate and watched as Sen. Saslaw, Sen. McEachin ("This is sneaky, this is underhanded, and it's beneath the dignity of the Senate"), Sen. Marsden and Sen. Barker went ape**** on the Republicans for what they said was a totally underhanded, unconstitutional move that will utterly poison relations in the Virginia State Senate. The fact that Republicans pulled this underhanded maneuver while most people were focused on the inauguration and Democratic State Senator Marsh was out of town (for the inauguration) really says it all. Wow.

P.S. Bizarrely, right after the coup, Sen. Deeds inexplicably started rambling on about a Confederate general (Stonewell Jackson) and how he loved "peaches," "lemons," and "women." WTF?

P.P.S. I'm hoping to get video of this as soon as possible, as you've got to see it to believe it. Also, this should be a big, national story. Wow.

UPDATE: Sen. Ebbin tweets, "VA Senate GOP trying to redistrict w/ substitute bill with no notice in violation of our state Constitution" and "VA Senate GOP votes to redistrict in violation of state Constitution."

UPDATE #2: One of the sharpest Virginia political analysts I know, KentonNgo, tweets: "If VA Republicans were smart enough not to touch the already cleared VRA districts, the plan will likely stand. Dems are toast." Ugh.

UPDATE #3: Here are the votes as Senate Republicans rammed this one through on 20-19, party-line votes with longtime civil rights champion, Democratic State Senator Henry Marsh, at the inauguration in Washington, DC.

UPDATE #4 (5:10 pm): It will be interesting to see how long it takes the corporate media to get on top of this story. So far, I see the Richmond Times Dispatch has a story (posted at 4:37 pm), but that's about it. We were up with this story at 4:19 pm, after Ben Tribbett posted about it on Facebook and alerted us to it a few minutes before that. Actually, I just saw that Bob Lewis and Larry O'Dell of the AP are out with a story as of 4:57 pm. ThinkProgress is also on it as of 5:10 pm.

UPDATE #5: Not Larry Sabato has "some initial info on the new districts." ("Creigh Deeds, the current 25th Senator is put into the 24th Senate district with Emmett Hanger, a district that now includes all of Augusta,and Bath counties along with Charlottesville and other pieces.")

UPDATE #6: NLS has the new districts.

So, while the inauguration was going on, the Virginia GOP Senate quickly introduced and passed new districting without debate that does so much as completely eliminate a Democrat senate seat. Holy shit, right?

Welcome to 2013, it's gonna be a rough one.

Dehumanized on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    We're a pretty shitty state.

This shouldn't be shocking, what with the whole "Capital of the Confederacy" thing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That link doesn't go anywhere. Do you have a live one?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »

Thanks, Sammy.

But how is it not too late to redraw the districts?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm shocked republicans did something the opposite of democracy to give themselves an advantage. SHOCKED!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I have no idea. Because Virginia is a preclearance state, they need to get DOJ approval.

There aren't any state senate elections until 2015, though.

SammyF on
  • Options
    Whoops, fixed the link in the OP.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If there is a God, he let someone videotape this shit and Deed's speech and uploaded it to Youtube for posterity.

488W936.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    wow this is super surprising

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    wait no this is actually entirely characteristic of the modern republican party

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Calling this a "coup" is a pretty insane abuse of language. They passed a bill when some dude wasn't there.

It's a shitty thing to do, but it's not like it was illegal.

• Options
    They passed a bill that reduced what seems like a tied senate house into a republican slight majority, thats kind of a coup.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    They passed a bill that reduced what seems like a tied senate house into a republican slight majority, thats kind of a coup.

Well then maybe the dude shouldn't have gone to the inauguration. It's not like it was a new situation.

• Options

Or, how legislative bodies work.

It is a douche move, but not a coup.

Did Virginia not have state legislature races last November? I feel like the time for redistricting should've passed long ago. To be fair, I don't know shit about Virginia state government.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Yeah thats the way democracy was intended on working. When you can't win with the voters, cheat, its clearly what the people wanted.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    okay that's a bad argument.

There's a reason why most voting bodies have quorum rules. Did this seriously take the senate from tied to +R? Where does it say that?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Jesus christ. As if the huge advantage the GOP gets from city districts eating too many Dem votes is not enough.

I wish something could actually be done about this shit, it's disgusting.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

There's a reason why most voting bodies have quorum rules. Did this seriously take the senate from tied to +R? Where does it say that?

Yes, it did.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah thats the way democracy was intended on working. When you can't win with the voters, cheat, its clearly what the people wanted.

You should know as well as anyone that nothing political is functioning as intended these days.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

The vote was 20-19 along party lines with a D only one not present, while attending inauguration.

• Options
    Oh, I see. I missed the line about it being a tied legislature and will now be a Republican majority.

That's a little... hrmm...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    There's not a 50%+1 quorum requirement for passing stuff?

That's pretty dumb

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

Did Virginia not have state legislature races last November? I feel like the time for redistricting should've passed long ago. To be fair, I don't know shit about Virginia state government.

Virginia has elections every year. The Commonwealth's statewide offices are selected during the November following a Presidential election. State Senators are elected during the November preceding a Presidential election. State Delegates serve two year terms and stand for election on both Novembers. No state offices are elected during even years (during Federal elections) except in cases of special elections to fill vacant offices.

• Options

That's pretty dumb
    Well if 39 out of 40 were there, they would easily meet quorum.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    It's not a coup, but it is illegal and wrong and the GOP should be given shit for it and prevented from pulling this crap.

488W936.png
  • Options

The vote was 20-19 along party lines with a D only one not present, while attending inauguration.

Oh I see.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

You should know as well as anyone that nothing political is functioning as intended these days.

And the *shrug* shit happens attitude is not helping. Its a bullshit move to do, especially post election as a way to get a majority they did not earn with the public. It seems the GOP just likes to say "Fuck you democracy this is the way we do it."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Virginia has elections every year. The Commonwealth's statewide offices are selected during the November following a Presidential election. State Senators are elected during the November preceding a Presidential election. State Delegates serve two year terms and stand for election on both Novembers. No state offices are elected during even years (during Federal elections) except in cases of special elections to fill vacant offices.

Interesting. So this year would be the first year of elections since the redistricting (assuming 2011 was too quick after the census to count)?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

That's pretty dumb

They had 95% of all Senators there. One Senator missed work today to go to the inauguration.

Guess which one Senator had his district redrawn to include another Democratic State Senator?

• Options
    According to Wikipedia, the VA state senate is a 40-member chamber, currently split 20-20. The Lt. Gov gets to cast a tiebreaking vote when needed (the current Lt. Gov is a Republican). I'm not sure what is or isn't allowed to go to tiebreak votes, though.

• Options
    I'll temper the OP a bit. I'm going to leave coup in the quoted blog post, but I don't want this to turn into a thread arguing over the definition of that word.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Interesting. So this year would be the first year of elections since the redistricting (assuming 2011 was too quick after the census to count)?

Believe it or not, no, they finished redrawing their state leg districts in just a few months, so the 2011 elections used new boundaries.

You probably didn't hear about them because both sides are really, really good at drawing boring districts that will never change hands in a million years, and turnout is always ludicrously low.

SammyF on
  • Options

Believe it or not, no, they finished redrawing their state leg districts in just a few months, so the 2011 elections used new boundaries.

Uh huh.

Well good on them for efficiency, Florida finished ours like a month before the primary.

But that would say to me that the time for redistricting is past, no?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    That's the actual primary, not our fake presidential thing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    BREAKING NEWS

Everybody chill.

The Lieutentant governor of Virginia, Bill Bolling, is a Republican. He would have likely cast the tie-breaking vote for the GOP anyway.

Craven? Yes. Illegal? Possibly. But this is something that would have happened regardless.

Carry on.[/fun.]

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    BREAKING NEWS

Everybody chill.

The Lieutentant governor of Virginia, Bill Bolling, is a Republican. He would have cast the tie-breaking vote for the GOP anyway.

Craven? Yes. Illegal? Possibly. But this is something that would have happened regardless.

Carry on.[/fun.]

As a Virginian: fuck off, thinking you know how our Commonwealth works.

Let's pick an issue at random that is coming up in the next few years. How about the moratorium on uranium mining? It's a hot button issue that currently is divided more on geography than partisanship: the water used for processing the ore flows down the Roanoke river valley and ends up in Lake Gaston, where Hampton Roads (the second most populous part of the state) gets their water. Bolling had pledged that he would vote no on lifting the moratorium if the vote came to a tie. A lot of folks in the center of the state who don't have to worry about the run-off just see it as jobs, jobs, jobs.

SammyF on
  • Options

Uh huh.

Well good on them for efficiency, Florida finished ours like a month before the primary.

My understanding is that they passed it as an amendment to a bill that was fixing a couple technical issues to the districts that were already in place.

• Options

Uh huh.

My understanding is that they passed it as an amendment to a bill that was fixing a couple technical issues to the districts that were already in place.

I see.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    BREAKING NEWS

Everybody chill.

The Lieutentant governor of Virginia, Bill Bolling, is a Republican. He would have cast the tie-breaking vote for the GOP anyway.

Carry on.[/fun.]

As a Virginian: fuck off, thinking you know how our Commonwealth works.

Let's pick an issue at random that is coming up in the next few years. How about the moratorium on uranium mining? It's a hot button issue that currently is divided more on geography than partisanship: the water used for processing the ore flows down the Roanoke river valley and ends up in Lake Gaston, where Hampton Roads (the second most populous part of the state) gets their water. Bolling had pledged that he would vote no on lifting the moratorium if the vote came to a tie. A lot of folks in the center of the state who don't have to worry about the run-off just see it as jobs, jobs, jobs.

Sure, Bolling could have voted against the measure.

Given his status in leadership in a party of craven asshats, I find myself suspicious of that actually coming to pass.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Once again: fuck off, thinking you know how the GOP works in our Commonwealth.

Bolling has gotten dicked over twice now. He first ran and won for LG in 2005, defeating Leslie Byrne and serving as Democratic Governor Kaine's LG and the highest ranking Republican in the state. Bob McDonnell won the AG contest against Creigh Deeds in that same year. In 2009, Bolling agreed to step aside to allow McDonnell to run for Governor on the condition that he would be the nominee in 2013. He ran for reelection as LG and won handily. Ken Cuccinelli also won the AG spot that year. In the last few months, the Republicans rigged the nominating process so that the more-conservative Cuccinelli would be assured of defeating Bolling despite earlier assurances. He's a pretty fucking pissed off guy right now. Enough so that he has not yet ruled out running as an independent.

Seriously, this is a topic about which you know nothing.

SammyF on