As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

how do elves even know how to build a god damn Smartphone anyways

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am sad to have to tell you that your faithful SD card died a humble death today, Mr Blake T.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    i just have an hdmi cable running from the graphics card to the tv i'm using as a monitor

thinking about it i'm assuming the problem is that the graphics card doesn't have access to the audio part of the motherboard. i just assumed i needed to use the output from it though to get the benefit from it being there. maybe once i install the cd that came with it i can fiddle with that or something. all i've done so far is install windows.

Just check the Sound properties in the Control Panel and make sure the HDMI output is set to default. I just upgraded my dad's GPU to have an HDMI and it worked well.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I am playing Dungeon Village on my iPod and Bamza Reoulv just came to my town. I just wanted to share the nice feeling that gave me somewhere.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    where exactly

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    i just have an hdmi cable running from the graphics card to the tv i'm using as a monitor

thinking about it i'm assuming the problem is that the graphics card doesn't have access to the audio part of the motherboard. i just assumed i needed to use the output from it though to get the benefit from it being there. maybe once i install the cd that came with it i can fiddle with that or something. all i've done so far is install windows.

Just check the Sound properties in the Control Panel and make sure the HDMI output is set to default. I just upgraded my dad's GPU to have an HDMI and it worked well.

Yeah, that should start working once you install updated video drivers (they usually include the HDMI audio driver) and set it to the default output in the control panel.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Fun fact I don't know what a molex is

molex is a company that manufactures a lot of different types of connectors

it just happens that some of their power connectors are the standard for certain PC components

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    By any chance, can anyone recommend a good external optical drive?

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So when I'm working at school on print work I just bring my MacBook and work on that

But when I need to print out the stencils to expose my screen for printing, I have to move over to one of the lab macs. It takes like 5 minutes to open photoshop files that my MacBook opens in like 2 seconds

This story isn't really related to anything, I just wanted you guys to know that this is total agony

Vann Diras on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

oh ho ho

really if you can get a cheap one for twenty bucks, it'll be fine. If it breaks, you're out twenty dollars. There's no sense buying a nice one unless you want a really nice burner or something.

Langly on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    ok I got the sound working

but now I got another problem, I can't seem to access my HDD

it's all hooked up properly and in the BIOS I can see it, but Windows doesn't show it to me

I have windows installed on my SSD

all it can see are the SSD and the disc drive

and for the hell of it I told the computer to boot from the HDD and it loaded windows which just confuses me all the more

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well the last bit probably just means it tried to boot from the HDD, failed, and fell back to the SSD. Is the drive formatted?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    nnnnnnno. how would i do that.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Good question! I forget how to do that in Windows. Look for... a device manager or partition manager or something.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Your BIOS doesn't differentiate from SSD and HDD as far as what it displays. An SSD drive will show up in the HDD space, usually with the manufacturer's name on it.

If the HDD you're trying to boot to is a brand new drive, you will need to format it. Open the windows start menu and type in computer. Select Computer Management when it shows up, then click on Disk Management. If it doesn't show up, click Storage and it should appear in the drop down list.

Disk Management shows you all of the disks your computer sees. Your Computer screen only shows drives with letters, but Disk Management will show you unallocated space, the works.

See how many disks you have. If you only have one, the SSD, your other hard drive is not connected properly. If it has two, and one is all unallocated space, right click on the space and choose "New Simple Volume." This will format the space and give it a letter, and it'll then work normally.

If the disk has stuff in it, and you're 100% sure you don't need it for anything at all except as storage space, right click and hit Format. THIS DELETES EVERYTHING FROM THE DRIVE. It will then function normally.

yeah i figured it out. I'm formatting it now

for some reason yahoo mail isn't accepting my password and the whole login screen isn't loading right. I must be missing a plugin but I can't figure out what the problem is

oh it was because i hadn't adjusted the date and time settings yet

computers are weird

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

oh ho ho

really if you can get a cheap one for twenty bucks, it'll be fine. If it breaks, you're out twenty dollars. There's no sense buying a nice one unless you want a really nice burner or something.

what about a decent external blu-ray?

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Is there an app out there that I could use to send a wake up signal if I configure the motherboard to wake on LAN?

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yeah there's a few apps that can do it, like this one. Your problem would be traversing the router sitting in front of your PC if you're doing it remotely. I know DD-WRT can send WOL signals natively, dunno about the rest.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I was just thinking of having my phone boot the PC when it gets on my home wireless network as I walk up the stairs.

Mostly to mess with my wife.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ok i have formatted the HDD but i still can't see it anywhere other than the disk manager

on the disk manager screen it's listed as "Healthy (Primary Partition)", though it's got grey stripes going across it

I can't open it, but I can "mark it as active." But if I click to do that I get a warning that I shouldn't do that unless I have an OS installed on the drive and that if I don't have one installed then my computer might not work.

So

what do I do from here to get at that terrabyte of storage

wait nevermind i figured it out yay

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    God dammit.

My desktop internet is acting up again. Just tested speed with my tablet. 3.8Mbps down, 611 kbps up.

Desktop, .09-.38Mbps down, .38 Mbps up.

was working fine most of the day.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I do not understand what the hell would cause internet speeds to suffer dramatically on one machine, after rebooting said computer, turning off and then back on wireless, ipconfig renlease/renew/flushdns

.. I'm almost wondering if Day Z has anything to do with it. Because I think my wireless stuff happened last time I played that game, though it is probably a coincidence.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    In case anyone is interested, those elevation docks are having a pretty good sale on some of their docks that failed QA due to cosmetic issues (dings, scratches, etc)

http://www.elevationlab.com/products/factory-seconds

If you don't mind the dock having a little 'character' it's a fucking steal.

• EpiphanyEpiphany Registered User regular
    I'm looking for advice on the Samsung Galaxy S3, I'm in the market for a new phone to upgrade my iPhone 3gs. I like the look of the S3 and its certainly cheaper than getting another iPhone. Just looking for what people think of theirs if they have one. I've got the use of a nexus 7 occasionally and I suppose the app store and everything hasn't impressed me enough that I'm instantly sold on an Android phone.

3DS Code- 4700-0094-6364
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I love my gs3. It's super fast and the screen is gorgeous. I have always loved the google integration for android products, everything is super slick.

The cons of the phone are always going to be that if you have mac stuff already, the android won't play well like the iPhone will. The market is simply never going to be the same, or as robust, as the apple market.

But being able to root the phone with the push of a button and the customization inherent to the system out of the box is worth it, too me.

I sync everything to Google, and they even have an incredible siri competitor now.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    hurray, Kindle Paperwhite is finally available in Canada

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested, those elevation docks are having a pretty good sale on some of their docks that failed QA due to cosmetic issues (dings, scratches, etc)

http://www.elevationlab.com/products/factory-seconds

If you don't mind the dock having a little 'character' it's a fucking steal.

ffffuuuuck want one of these so bad

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's really neat how those Elevation Docks were designed so smartly that they could easily adapt to the lightning connector with only a minor mod

gotta respect that sort of care going into a product

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    .. 50 dollars for a dock?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Epiphany wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice on the Samsung Galaxy S3, I'm in the market for a new phone to upgrade my iPhone 3gs. I like the look of the S3 and its certainly cheaper than getting another iPhone. Just looking for what people think of theirs if they have one. I've got the use of a nexus 7 occasionally and I suppose the app store and everything hasn't impressed me enough that I'm instantly sold on an Android phone.

Really, the only complaint I have with my phone is TouchWiz. I just don't really like it. But you can download apps to replace most of the UI, so it's not really a problem (I'm using Nova Launcher to replace the app drawer and home screens, and WidgetLocker for a custom lockscreen). Plus, customizing your phone can be pretty fun!
    .. 50 dollars for a dock?

The official Asus Nexus 7 dock is around $40. *shrug*

工事中
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I actually like touchwiz in the S3.. They even made the notification bar customizable finally. Something cyanogenmod had since.. 7?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    eSY2lA0.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    how do you spend more than $5 on a dock
    you already got a cable thats all it is+vertical which is rarely a thing to give the slightest fuck about

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    yeah.. I paid like 8 euros for one that works with or without a bumper case

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Man, figures that Galaxy S4 rumors would start dropping as I close in on my upgrade date:

Maybe 1080p OLED 5" screen, wireless charging,

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.