As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Fitness Group 2.0

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Swae wrote: »
    10 days of Weight Watchers and almost 8 pounds lost! My schedule has been super hectic at work, so I haven't actually started any exercise, but hope to next week.
    Goal: 130

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Weight Watchers and going from zero exercise to moderate exercise 3 times a week

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator): 155.6
    Week 2 - 1/17: 147.8
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21 (Final Weigh-In/Progress Indicator):

Woohoo, I'm glad it's working out for you so well! Work is the PERFECT place to get some exercise in, take the long way to anywhere you need to go in the office. I take over 300 steps every half hour just by getting up and moving.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Always that second week that comes to bite ya and remind you that you can't coast if you want to make real change. Good job, @Swae for powering through!
    Goal: 210 lbs by PAX - Run @ 6.5 MPH for 30 minutes straight

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Tracking food, running on the treadmill in the morning. Will work in light weight training once I get my weight back under control (likely around 215-220).

Week 1 - 1/10: 227 - 10-15 minutes start/stop (no more than 10 minutes straight so far)
    Week 2 - 1/17: 226 - Fell back to 5-10 minutes running - very sporadic gym visits this week - weight loss likely due to more attention on what I eat, though I blew out calories on a few days still.
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    forgot to post mine :( Annoyed at the gym for not opening yet, so likely going back to the old yet less-convenient gym instead of slacking off
    Goals: 130ish and run a 27 min 5K

gotta get back into the gym

Week 1 - 1/10: 146.7
    Week 2 - 1/17: 145.0 (-1.7)
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Down 2.9 lbs this week! Ordered an Under Armour balaclava because it's going to be in the teens when I go walking in the mornings soon! Brrrrr!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Ok. Time to get back that motivation I had last year. Gonna bring back DDR/add Dance Central into the mix.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    DC has been the kick-off for me as well. Definitely needed

I am pretty good at it since I have been into DDR off and on for years and years. I got rhythm. Haha. So, that helps since I can play the harder levels that require more movement.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Any of you go to Gold's Gym on Capitol Hill?

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Any of you go to Gold's Gym on Capitol Hill?

Not me. I live up north and do a class in Lynnwood.

Ugh. I just got a minor medical procedure done today and I'm terrified to find out what the scale says at the end of the week when I step on it. Hopefully, I'll get back to the swing of things tomorrow.

redfield85 wrote: »
    So, that helps since I can play the harder levels that require more movement.
    I took a break from DC for a while - so I need to practice again to get into more challenging levels. DDR has been Awesome though!

Did day 1 of P90X - Soooooo many push-ups today. ... was not what I expected, but we'll see about tomorrow

Man that was a cold walk this morning! But, my Layer 8 under layer, sweat pants and my new Nike Therma-fit jacket kept my core, legs and arms pretty warm. Can't want to get my Under Armour balaclava tonight thought, that's gonna let me get out there with no problems.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Am I the only one that keeps reading balaclava as baklava? Because that sounds like a delicious thing to wear.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Am I the only one that keeps reading balaclava as baklava? Because that sounds like a delicious thing to wear.
    Been doing it for years.

5I7JEDi.png
    Direwolf wrote: »
    Been doing it for years.

Ditto.

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Check-in time!
    Goal: Get stronger. Going to track using my current best 3x5 back squat. On my current program, aiming to add 10/15 pounds to my lift a week

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Heavy lifting 3 times/week.

Week 1 - 1/10: 185
    Week 2 - 1/17: 200
    Week 3 - 1/24: 220 (edited for proper weight on Thursday. Posted this on Tuesday accidentally)
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21:

Staying on target...

So now that there are less than 2 months to go to PAX, the Fitocracy group has a new Challenge! Check it out here: http://www.fitocracy.com/group/3204/?challenge

So... I don't really know what to do for prizes. The challenge coins were fun, and I don't mind doing it again, but I'm open to other suggestions!

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    I want to go food shopping but it is so cold and windy out. :-\

What are your thoughts on sandwiches with no bread? Like, am I stupid for wanting to make a "sandwich" with lettuce as the bread? Are there other options that you peeps use or know about?

I think I just want to try and cut out bread. I need to stop with the bagels. I need to get an alternative creation method for sandwiches.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited January 2013

What are your thoughts on sandwiches with no bread? Like, am I stupid for wanting to make a "sandwich" with lettuce as the bread? Are there other options that you peeps use or know about?

I think I just want to try and cut out bread. I need to stop with the bagels. I need to get an alternative creation method for sandwiches.

Suck it up you big baby! I walked a mile in 16 degree weather this morning, you can drive to the store. :P

Low carb/paleo people have been making sammiches with lettuce leaves forever, so it's pretty normal. You could always switch to a lower calorie bread like English muffins if it's just the extra calories that is bothering you.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Yeah, bread is a calorie whore, but you can find workarounds without cutting the carbs out entirely, if desired. I used to eat 2 PB&J sandwiches.. I now eat one club style, where I use 3 slices instead of 4, so it saves me a couple hundred calories.

Lettuce is really good as a sandwich medium if you use it right. Cut 2 strips of romaine about as wide as a slice of bread, and twice as long. Fold one around your filling, left to right. Fold the other one over the first one, but turned 90 degrees. Instant lettuce pocket.

Also there are sandwich thins that are basically just really thin rolls. About the calorie content of one slice of bread, but it's 2!

• MogsMogs Registered User regular

Is it the portability/ease of nomming of the sandwich that you want to retain? You could always take everything you put in a sandwich and make a salad out of it instead. Lettuce does work for making wraps, but I always find that I just eat it with a fork and knife anyways (my husband loves lettuce-wrapping burgers and sandwiches, though, so ymmv).

I'm a fan of the lettuce but we also are using low cal whole wheat, so it isn't quite as bad a hit.

I bought some lettuce and turkey lunch meat. Wasn't bad. I'll play around with my options, but I think cutting out bread for sandwiches will do me good.

To be honest, I don't count calories. I just go by my Weight Watchers point totals. That probably doesn't sound good, but hey, I used it all last year and lost over 50lbs.

I think my issue is I am starting to get off track eating-wise. As our favorite kindergarten cop would say, "You lack discipline!"

My breakfast routine might change as well. What does everyone usually have for breakfast? Or what is your typical menu during the week?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    What does everyone usually have for breakfast? Or what is your typical menu during the week?

Oh man, I love talking about food. My intake generally looks like this:
    Breakfast: 5 eggs, sometimes with bacon (I also take a fish oil supplement and vitamin D at this time)

Lunch: .5 lb ground beef with 2-3 cups of broccoli

Dinner (If I lift): Squash/sweet potatoes and some combination of brussel sprouts/broccoli/onions/bell peppers/spinach (about 3+ cups) with .5-1 lb of steak, 1 can coconut milk blended with about 1.5 cups frozen berries, 2 cups homemade bone broth. Maybe a glass of wine. I also sometimes eat 5-6 more eggs before dinner, depending on how I'm feeling.

Dinner (If I did not lift): some combination of Brussels sprouts/broccoli/onions/bell peppers/spinach (maybe 2 cups) with about .5 lb steak, 2 cups homemade bone broth. Maybe a glass of wine.

I cook everything in coconut oil, bacon grease, or ghee.

When I make bunless burgers, I make really small pattys and then wrap them in lettuce and hold them together with a toothpick. Great for packing a lunch for work!

Whatever works - calorie counting, point counting.. it's all about eating within a healthy budget..

As for breakfast, I'm still a cereal guy - frosted flakes.. crispix.. honey nut cheerios.. I'll sometimes mix in a maple and brown sugar oatmeal is I'm feeling saucy.

I bought some lettuce and turkey lunch meat. Wasn't bad. I'll play around with my options, but I think cutting out bread for sandwiches will do me good.

To be honest, I don't count calories. I just go by my Weight Watchers point totals. That probably doesn't sound good, but hey, I used it all last year and lost over 50lbs.

I think my issue is I am starting to get off track eating-wise. As our favorite kindergarten cop would say, "You lack discipline!"

My breakfast routine might change as well. What does everyone usually have for breakfast? Or what is your typical menu during the week?

Weight Watchers is counting calories, or at least the Classic program is. Basically, the WW formula gives more calories to fatty foods and less to fiber-rich foods to encourage eating less of one and more of the other, and then turns them into a easier to use point system.

I have a pita as my sammich bread for lunch and two english muffins with dinner most nights, they fit easy into my WW plan.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular

For breakfast I have some combination of 2 boiled eggs, greek yogurt, berries, or a thin wheat bagel with peanut butter. Lunch is usually a frozen meal or a turkey sandwich made on a sandwich thin. I have 2 snacks during they day - one fruit and one vegetable. Dinner is whatever is handy....lol.

I'm still finding that I'm hungry A LOT, but my points value is super low and I'm still learning how to fill up without eating tons of carbs. I've been eating a lot of shrimp lately, since it's 0 points and I love seafood. A quick dinner I've been doing a lot is whole wheat pasta, feta, basalmic vinegar, and shrimp sauteed with olive oil and Ms. Dash. Yummy!

Swae wrote: »

For breakfast I have some combination of 2 boiled eggs, greek yogurt, berries, or a thin wheat bagel with peanut butter. Lunch is usually a frozen meal or a turkey sandwich made on a sandwich thin. I have 2 snacks during they day - one fruit and one vegetable. Dinner is whatever is handy....lol.

I'm still finding that I'm hungry A LOT, but my points value is super low and I'm still learning how to fill up without eating tons of carbs. I've been eating a lot of shrimp lately, since it's 0 points and I love seafood. A quick dinner I've been doing a lot is whole wheat pasta, feta, basalmic vinegar, and shrimp sauteed with olive oil and Ms. Dash. Yummy!

Remember, you can go over your point total. That is why we are given an allowance!

My breakfast was typically 2-3 pieces of turkey bacon, a bagel w/ 1/3 fat cream cheese or butter, a banana, and a cup of Trop50 orange juice. Very rarely I mix in an egg instead of a bagel (or something I keep both). On occasion I will have a bowl or two of cereal (typically Honey Bunches of Oats....got sick of Special K).

I started the lettuce-as-bread sandwich regimen a day or so ago. Not hating it, so it will stay. That saves me about 5 points just because of no bread. I'd have the lettuce-turkey sandwich, a pickle, and some fat free pringles (which are super cheap by the way of WW points).

Dinner tonight might be a lean cuisine large meal (7pts). I also have a rotisserie chicken I have to cut up and then I can cook up some onions/peppers/mushrooms and rice to go along with it. It is just a matter of me feeling like cooking.

Snacks are typically grapes, special k bar, weight watchers ice cream bar, animal crackers, popcorn, cheez-its. Those range from 0-4 points per serving.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I lost my Fitbit in December and @zerzhul suggested I email them. They are giving me a new One (I had an Ultra) at half price, so yay for good customer service!

I'm still stuck in post surgery no exercise mode, so no challenge for me but perhaps a co-motivator can support those who are!
    jSVnnuJ.jpg

chaosisorder on
  • TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    Woo Fitocracy challenge! I am unbelievably excited for PAX! I'm getting up and running (literally) in training for a half marathon in June. I'm aiming for no walking this year (knee started killing me last year in my first one).

alas, started daily hard-core workouts and the weight took a bump without losing any inches ... hoping for next week :P
    Goals: 130ish and run a 27 min 5K

gotta get back into the gym

Week 1 - 1/10: 146.7
    Week 2 - 1/17: 145.0 (-1.7)
    Week 3 - 1/24: 146.0 (-0.7)
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

edited January 2013
    I'll post my update later this morning. I don't trust my weigh in from Thursday!

edit: Anyone doing the buttoneering for East? I feel like we should make PAX East Fitness Group buttons.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    I finally got an albuterol rescue inhaler that I haven't needed for a few years, but found I now do. Took a puff this morning before running, and what a difference. I walked during my run because my legs hurt a little, not because I couldn't breathe. Progress!
    Goal: 210 lbs by PAX - Run @ 6.5 MPH for 30 minutes straight

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Tracking food, running on the treadmill in the morning. Will work in light weight training once I get my weight back under control (likely around 215-220).

Week 1 - 1/10: 227 - 10-15 minutes start/stop (no more than 10 minutes straight so far)
    Week 2 - 1/17: 226 - Fell back to 5-10 minutes running - very sporadic gym visits this week - weight loss likely due to more attention on what I eat, though I blew out calories on a few days still.
    Week 3 - 1/24: 224 - Got in two 12 minute 5.8 MPH runs broken up with a 4.3 MPH walk today! Time to work on ditching the walk.
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

I'm still stuck in post surgery no exercise mode, so no challenge for me but perhaps a co-motivator can support those who are!

I feel your pain. I'm still recovering from a procedure done to me on Monday and I've been spending the week in pain or on pain meds with lots of sitting and lying down. Oh, and lots and lots of doctor recommended high sodium foods. Yikes! New Year's Me would have been so disappointed with myself. I dread to even guess what I weigh once I'm ready to get back to exercising.

I walked during my run because my legs hurt a little, not because I couldn't breathe. Progress!

That sounds awesome! I'm jealous of you with the running right now. We're holding off on getting a gym membership (silly local gym still isn't open) while also doing P90X, so my run times will be sad once I get back into it.

Keep it up!!

Remember when I said I was buckling down? :-\

Haha.
    Goal: Down to 190lbs by PAX East.

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Sticking to my decent eating habits and playing hockey multiple times a week.

Week 1 - 1/10: 202.3lbs
    Week 2 - 1/17: 203.8lbs
    Week 3 - 1/24: 205.4lbs
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21:

bYf6vNQ.png
    I'll post my update later this morning. I don't trust my weigh in from Thursday!

edit: Anyone doing the buttoneering for East? I feel like we should make PAX East Fitness Group buttons.

Yesssss, buttonssssss. I agree.

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    Oh, and lots and lots of doctor recommended high sodium foods. Yikes! New Year's Me would have been so disappointed with myself. I dread to even guess what I weigh once I'm ready to get back to exercising.

That is just unfair for weigh ins- all the water weight fun.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Either you give it your all, or you're going to get bested.

Every second you wait, every minute, every hour, every day just means you're that much further from the goal..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Ugh, my body pulled a real dick move this weekend. Saturday morning I was at 203.2, looking forward to a nice two pound loss. Made sure not to eat a lot of salty stuff, was right on the money with my Points. Sunday morning, at 205.2, exactly where I was a week ago, but with less body fat %. So, I'm retaining water for some reason, and it still hasn't come off today. Grrrrrrr.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin