As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[A Song of Ice and Fire, Books and Books+Show] Touch this thread and all shall be spoilt

19596979899101»

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope that they'll get West for someone else next season. Someone Dornish perhaps. With a spear.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If they hire anyone but Nestor Carbonell as the Red Viper they done goofed.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I would prepare for them "goofing", then, as it's very rare for them to hire American actors. I count two: Dinklage and Momoa.

• Options
    Buncha racists!

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Effects could be spent on more dire wolves, dragons, Fist of the First Men battle and the skirmish at Castle Black if it makes it in. I could see them ending the Jon arc of the season with Ygritte dying.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    the money should go into rewriting so Ygritte doesn't die!

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Is the battle at Castle Black going to be in this season? Cause that's a big event. I can't think off hand where it happens in the books though and if it'd be before the Red Wedding.

By "The Battle of Castle Black" do you mean the battle with Mance's full army, or the skirmish where Ygritte dies?

At any rate, they've revealed that Jon's arc this season ends with his return to the wall. Whether that includes the events leading up to Ygritte's death remains to be seen, but I think it's a good bet.

The skirmish with Ygritte and the blacksmith dying. The big battle where Stannis shows up is at the end of the book, so next season.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Is the battle at Castle Black going to be in this season? Cause that's a big event. I can't think off hand where it happens in the books though and if it'd be before the Red Wedding.

By "The Battle of Castle Black" do you mean the battle with Mance's full army, or the skirmish where Ygritte dies?

At any rate, they've revealed that Jon's arc this season ends with his return to the wall. Whether that includes the events leading up to Ygritte's death remains to be seen, but I think it's a good bet.

The skirmish with Ygritte and the blacksmith dying. The big battle where Stannis shows up is at the end of the book, so next season.

Didn't Noye die in the first round of the larger attack from Mance (and not the skirmish with the raiders attack from the South)? He was in the tunnel, defending against the giant trying to break thru. Or am I confusing the blacksmith.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Didn't Noye die in the first round of the larger attack from Mance (and not the skirmish with the raiders attack from the South)? He was in the tunnel, defending against the giant trying to break thru. Or am I confusing the blacksmith.

Yeah, Noye is the smith, and he dies in the tunnel.

They can either end the season with Jon and Ygritte preparing to scale the wall, or after the fight where Ygritte dies. Both would satisfy the "return to the wall".

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Correct.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    They can either end the season with Jon and Ygritte preparing to scale the wall, or after the fight where Ygritte dies. Both would satisfy the "return to the wall".

Ygritte's death would be a more dramatic ending, and would give Jon a proper character arc for the season. I think it's the logical choice.

• Options

Ygritte's death would be a more dramatic ending, and would give Jon a proper character arc for the season. I think it's the logical choice.

Yeah, you may be right. I was actually just about to post:

Reading the synopsis, I sort of think they'll end Jon's story with him preparing to scale the wall. That's a nice visual, and it allows them to have both the skirmish and the big fight a few episodes apart, which should strike home just how undermanned the Wall is and how little time there is for Jon to grieve.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Yeah, you may be right. I was actually just about to post:

Reading the synopsis, I sort of think they'll end Jon's story with him preparing to scale the wall. That's a nice visual, and it allows them to have both the skirmish and the big fight a few episodes apart, which should strike home just how undermanned the Wall is and how little time there is for Jon to grieve.

I think that the other possibility is that we see Ygritte's death at the end of the season, and next season Jon's arc is padded out slightly by some written-for-the-show events.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I would assume the tenth episode's feature piece would be the first battle at Castle Black with Jon's running into Bran and the Reeds and subsequent escape being in the totally packed ninth episode (or the eighth if they make the ninth just the Red Wedding like the ninth this year was just Blackwater).

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I would assume the tenth episode's feature piece would be the first battle at Castle Black with Jon's running into Bran and the Reeds and subsequent escape being in the totally packed ninth episode (or the eighth if they make the ninth just the Red Wedding like the ninth this year was just Blackwater).

typo? Jon running into Bran would be a fairly strong departure from source to me, and probably not necessary. Then again, Sam being alive in the show seems like quite a stretch given where we left him.

I swear I don't just read the thread to correct people :P

• Options
    Sam aint dead. He's too cowardly to die.

If he had drawn his sword and charged at the Other, he'd be dead. But 'cause he pissed his pants and started crying, he very much alive.

• Options

typo? Jon running into Bran would be a fairly strong departure from source to me, and probably not necessary. Then again, Sam being alive in the show seems like quite a stretch given where we left him.

Not like actually close enough to have a conversation with him or anything. But as I recall:

Jon + Wildlings, having gotten over the wall, come upon a small abandoned waycastle. While there, they are attacked by a wolf, in the chaos Jon escapes to warn Castle Black, and then we have that fight.

The wolf is Summer, because the Reeds, Bran, and Hodor have taken shelter at said waycastle.

Am I totally wrong here?

• Options
    edited January 2013

Not like actually close enough to have a conversation with him or anything. But as I recall:

Jon + Wildlings, having gotten over the wall, come upon a small abandoned waycastle. While there, they are attacked by a wolf, in the chaos Jon escapes to warn Castle Black, and then we have that fight.

The wolf is Summer, because the Reeds, Bran, and Hodor have taken shelter at said waycastle.

Am I totally wrong here?

You are completely right.

Something something GoldCrown or something.

edit: Queenscrown. One of the Targaryens slept there on her way to the Wall and they painted the merlons gold in her honor

Tamin on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

If he had drawn his sword and charged at the Other, he'd be dead. But 'cause he pissed his pants and started crying, he very much alive.

Either that or s3 will open will Sam running for his life through the wilderness, then his high heel breaks...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular

Maybe it is in Season 2, which I haven't seen yet (please forgive me), but isn't drawing his sword and charging at the Other exactly what Sam did in the book?

• Options
    Icemopper wrote: »

Maybe it is in Season 2, which I haven't seen yet (please forgive me), but isn't drawing his sword and charging at the Other exactly what Sam did in the book?

In the book he had magic sword/dagger.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Later on, and it was less charging, more accidentally striking the Other with the magic knife.
    Do it now. Stop crying and fight, you baby. Fight, craven. It was his father he heard, it was Alliser Thorne, it was his brother Dickon and the boy Rast. Craven, craven, craven. He giggled hysterically, wondering if they would make a wight of him, a huge fat white wight always tripping over its own dead feet. Do it, Sam. Was that Jon, now? Jon was dead. You can do it, you can, just do it. And then he was stumbling forward, falling more than running, really, closing his eyes and shoving the dagger blindly out before him with both hands. He heard a crack, like the sound ice makes when it breaks beneath a man's foot, and then a screech so shrill and sharp that he went staggering backward with his hands over his muffled ears, and fell hard on his arse.

Tamin on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the White Walkers allowed Sam to escape, to spread the fear of their approach. After all, they let that guy in the series premiere live, presumably for that reason.

• Options

It was dragonglass, as far as I remember. But is he dead in the show that would prevent him from doing all this? That's what I don't get.

• Options
    edited January 2013

It was dragonglass, as far as I remember. But is he dead in the show that would prevent him from doing all this? That's what I don't get.

Yeah, 'magic' is just us being cute.

In the show, the Other apparently decided to ignore him, leaving him alive. We won't know (at least for another couple of months), but unless they decide to diverge from the book, he's safe.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    While Sam isnt a huge character he is the one who discovers how to kill the Others and he is instrumental in Jon becoming Lord Commander(one of his best moments). He also manned up a bit on the journey to the Citadel.

• Options

Yeah, 'magic' is just us being cute.

In the show, the Other apparently decided to ignore him, leaving him alive. We won't know (at least for another couple of months), but unless they decide to diverge from the book, he's safe.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

I have ordered the second season to watch, so I'll catch up with the TV version in February.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    While Sam isnt a huge character he is the one who discovers how to kill the Others and he is instrumental in Jon becoming Lord Commander(one of his best moments). He also manned up a bit on the journey to the Citadel.

He's also still carrying what many people suspect is the Horn of Winter.

• Options
    grrm put up a livejournal "clue" for the show. Though I don't know why, exactly. If he's talking about casting season 3, that's pretty late, and it's very early for season 4. At any rate:

The Pits
    Son of Homer

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm sort of guessing it's this guy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1212069/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    yeah, that makes sense. Pretty cool.

I saw "Homer" and was thinking classical. Not Simpsons :P

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Haha! Awesome, they are actually going to have Brienne fight a real bear.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm sort of guessing it's this guy?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1212069/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

A Bear! A bear!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Bunch of new character photos released today.

What's really interesting is if you mouse over the pictures, or view them, their names appear to be production codes, indicating what episode and scene number they're from.

749724_GOT_HS_07.12.12_EP302_5748-1359137661932-A.jpg

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Jojen and Meera look awesome

edit: weirdly, those pictures don't have the EP tag.

Also, those Tully statues. mmm

Tamin on