As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Shmups/Run n Gun thread (Be attitude for gains!)

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thread needs more Heavy Weapon.

Spoilered for hueg:
    heavy-weapon-20060927003947512.jpg

The two stick controls were really good, the bosses were interesting (although a little on the easy side) and the multiplayer co-op survival mode is a blast. Can also co-op the missions locally. Very much worth the $10 you'll pay for it on XBLA.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I downloaded Soldier Blade last night. Took me a minute to get used to it, as the ship is incredibly responsive and fast compared to what I generally like.

Sheep on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Geometry Wars: Galaxies trailer looks pretty damn sweet
    http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/13788

Is Everyday Shooter only coming to the PS3?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thread lacks Gunstar Heroes.

Xagarath on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Geometry Wars: Galaxies trailer looks pretty damn sweet
    http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/13788

Is Everyday Shooter only coming to the PS3?

LOL Trangle man

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Strange AttractorStrange Attractor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    bangaioclub.jpg

bangai-o.jpg

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Ikaruga is the best shmup I've ever played. The inspired parts of Radiant Silvergun are tied but the game comes packed with some filler as well. Everything in those games just works. The ballet of movement of everything on screen, the firing patterns, the sweeping backgrounds, particularly the music in Silvergun and all the existential symbolism in Ikaruga. Those games are more than just shmups. It is fucking opera.

Lets see - Gradius 3 and especially 5 are great even though they suffer from weapon saturation. A perfect shmup needs 2 weapons - main and backup. Anything more is detrimental to the "meditative shmup state of mind". (RS is an exception since the whole game you had all 6 all the time so the game was designed with that in mind and you still only used one at a time second by second) Einhander is ok but is of the "random weapon at random level" design which leads to sloppy spastic gameplay. Shumps of that style can be good but the are good in spite of their design not because of it. Mars Matrix is pure sex. Zero gunner 2 is good and just shy of being great. I like Dodonpachi but haven't played enough of it to have an informed opinion. I've never played a good R-type game - ever. Border Down was pretty forgettable. Lastly I'd just like to add that I'm very happy to own a copy of Gradius Gaiden and saddened that I've never been able to play it. Modded playstation and all that.

Strange Attractor on
    Hi.
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kenta Cho's stuff is always good fun. One of my favourites, Tumeki Fighters is getting a DS/Wii release too, I believe.

[edit] ^^^^ OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooh shit Bangai-O. Fuck, I wish I had my DC working again :cry:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Mars Matrix and Bangai Oh are definitely on the List(TM).

Sheep on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man I keep linking these, and they get no love. Some of the best shumps I've played, and they're free!

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not a real shump player (I die too much and don't play enough for that!), but I've been known to enjoy a good shump every now and again.
    Sleep wrote: »
    I've been playing back through Panzer Dragoon Orta (and Saga, just cause), and I think I'm going to dive into eBay and grab the first two Panzer Dragoon games as well.

Not to shill out for a company I have no stake in, but Gametap has the first two Panzer Dragoon games, so if you don't feel like you'd want them in the future (aka, want one playthrough) you could pay for the $1 month and play through them both. There are actually probably a ton of good shumps in there. For run-and-gun, they have all the metal slugs, with Metal Slug X free right now.

Also, (and free right now too on GT), I just played Twinkle Star Sprites for the first time, and it's amazing. I think of it as, "You got your Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in my Raiden--you got your Raiden in my Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine". Ultimately, an awesome combination.

Xagarath wrote: »

This is one of my favorite games ever. Green mech douchebag brother is the most hackery BS ever, but damn such a great game. Why it isn't a huge ass line of games (I know there was the Advance two, but eh), I have no clue.

Someone mentioned two-player shumps before, and then said it was blasphemous. That's a shame, because I love coop, and I believe shumps and run-and-guns (esp. run-and-guns) make excellent shumps. All of them aren't forgiving enough though--they need to be more "lives don't matter, points do", simply because I ran into the issue where I couldn't get as far in coop Ikaruga or Gunstar Heroes as I could playing it alone, and that certainly ruins the fun atmosphere when one person feels guilty for holding you down, and you feel bad because they feel bad.

Does Armada count as a shump? I wish it was a little faster and bang bang, but I think shump RPG is a surprisingly good combo, though you purists would probably hiss and scream. I found it to be very fun, especially when I managed to convince someone to play with me. I was probably 11 at the time though, I"m not sure if I would still find it entertaining.

EDIT: Two people just mentioned Kenta Cho pretty much back to back, but yeah, those are great fun imo. Torus Trooper and Gunroar are my favorite, some of them are pretty miss (I'm looking at you Mu-cade, yeah I said it, I feel like I'm driving an airport-luggage-cart through a river with my ballsac). Still, over all, yay for that stuff.

piL on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    Man I keep linking these, and they get no love. Some of the best shumps I've played, and they're free!

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

It;s a bit simplistic, but I do have a soft spot for Torus Trooper.

Xagarath on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    piL wrote: »

This is one of my favorite games ever. Green mech douchebag brother is the most hackery BS ever, but damn such a great game. Why it isn't a huge ass line of games (I know there was the Advance two, but eh), I have no clue.

I believe the reason is is that the game was made by Treasure, and they don't really like to do sequels to games. They create new IP's for every game, with the exception of Gunstar Heroes Advanced and the Ikaruga GC port I believe.

Burtletoy on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I believe the reason is is that the game was made by Treasure, and they don't really like to do sequels to games. They create new IP's for every game, with the exception of Gunstar Heroes Advanced and the Ikaruga GC port I believe.

Actually, that's a mode of thought I can get behind. Hurrah, I <3 Treasure.

piL on
    edited August 2007
    There should totally be a Treasure collection on the 360.

Sheep on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Anybody else catch this?

http://dory.mncast.com/mncHMovie.swf?movieID=10036889020070730170931

Might be a bit slow, or try reloading it or something, but it's basically a Korean MMOShmup of sorts. Neat idea, but probably terrible in reality. Also, skip to like 2:00 or 2:30 to get past all the boring crap.

I love the Koreans. They can take any genre and make a MMO out of it :D
    This looks really cool, but needs a lot of polishing. It'd be awesome if Treasure took this concept and made a MMO Ikaruga or something similar :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'd buy a 360 for it. Hell, they could put it on the fucking PS3 and I'd go out and buy one tomorrow.

The greatness of Treasure games is only matched by how annoyingly difficult they are to come by.

I played through Gunstar Heroes on a friend's Wii one Saturday afternoon for the first time in years and I was kind of surprised to find that nostalgia hadn't colored my feelings for the game at all. It's really just that good. It's one of few games I'd call almost perfect. The Advanced game is good, too, but it's more of a remake than a sequel.

shyguy on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just fyi, Dangun Feveron is the best shmup ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHJk9UY2TyA

Mmmm.

ArcticXC on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love Dangun Feveron, though it's mainly for the funny takes on disco.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    Woo.

Won Chaos Field for less than 10 bucks. Gonna swing by GameStop tonight and see what Gradius V, Raiden III, and RType Final are goin for.

If they havent changed much in the past few days: 16.99, 29.99(new), 11.99 respectivly

Walmart has Raiden III for 19.99 (or maybe like 19.82 or whatever)

Ah_Pook on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raiden 3 is an awesome and fun game, but pretty by the numbers for shmup.

How's Chaos Field? I still need to grab that. And Ikaruga. But Ika I either cant' find or it's somewhat pricey.

slash000 on
    edited August 2007
    Chaos Field is pretty terrible, i wouldnt bother

Ah_Pook on
  • Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DECISIVE ENCOUNTER
    FEALTY IS DUE

TheRedStar.jpg

Picked this up a few weeks back, and have been playing through it with my brother in co-op.
    I love the inter-level upgrading and the combo system, but I find the HUD masks enemies standing on the edges of the screen.

I'm really hoping for some kind of next-gen follow-up (XBLA/PSN with online play? Eh? EH? :winky:).

Mr. Gruntor on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seven Force isn't that bad at all. :P Honestly, the entire game is pretty easy save for the very final boss. I've played it so damn much that I've gotten to the point where it's pretty boring unless I have a second player to "bring me down." Makes things more interesting.
    The closest you're probably going to get is the Sega Ages mini-compilation for PS2 (Japan only). It includes Japanese and English versions of Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and Alien Soldier, plus Game Gear / Master System versions, a prototype version of Gunstar, replay save feature, box/manual scans, concept art, etc. It's a pretty complete package, and totally worth it because you get Alien Soldier (which I happen to enjoy the most of these three titles) without having to spend $texas.

The duo who directed Ikaruga and Gradius V are making a shmup for the 360. Ikaruga is rumored to be a future XBLA title.

One game that I've had my eye on for a while is WarTech: Senko no Ronde for the 360. It's billed as a shmup/fighter hybrid and has been compared to the likes of Virtual On and Psychic Force. HG101 has a pretty lengthy write-up. I plan on trying this out when I finally get around to buying a 360.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've known about the Contra series forever, but I played the first one on NES for the first time about two weeks ago when I was at a friend's house in Maine. We spent the entire week I was there trying to beat it on co-op, and I think the farthest we ever got was the Snowfield. We both did much better single player (and even better with the code), but co-op was by far the most fun. I'd played Contra III once before (and was the only Contra I'd ever played), and Gunstar Heroes was the first thing I bought with my first batch of Wii points. Both are awesome games, but neither touches the experience I had playing Contra on co-op. I'm trying to imagine just how awesome Contra III and GS are co-op. I really need to get around to giving those a run on co-op.

I'm dying for the NES versions of Contra and Super C to hit the VC. The first thing I did when I got home from my vacation was get Contra III off the VC. It's certainly an awesome game, but I think I enjoyed the original the best. I'm sure they'll hit the VC at some point, but like Super Metroid, I can't wait for them to be released.

On a related note, is the arcade version of Contra on the Konami Arcade Classics collection for DS any good? I saw a speed run of it on youtube and it looked a bit...clunky.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My favorite shmup ever is most likely Castle Shikigami 2, and to think, I only got it because I liked the art design.

Intense, good artwork, music, and the worst voice acting of all time.

I think my very first avatar here was of Fumiko Ozette Van Stein(O.V.).

Isn't there a third one out in Japan?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WabbajackWabbajack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No one say Cho Ren Sha yet?

chorensha2ls1.jpg
    chorensha68kxe9.jpg

Home page of the guy who made it:
    http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/

its in japanese, but you can scroll down to where it says DOWNLOAD to get it.
    Heard about it on this forum a long time ago, pretty cool little shmup.
    It looks and sounds like an old school 16bit shmup, but runs hundreds of sprites at once with out slowing down. Of course most of the sprites are used for fancy explosions, not bad guys, so it's not too difficult. The music has a really awesome 16bit flavor. The first level song is an instant classic. Anyway, give it a try!

Wabbajack on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wabbajack wrote: »
    No one say Cho Ren Sha yet?

(snip)

Home page of the guy who made it:
    http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/

its in japanese, but you can scroll down to where it says DOWNLOAD to get it.
    Heard about it on this forum a long time ago, pretty cool little shmup.
    It looks and sounds like an old school 16bit shmup, but runs hundreds of sprites at once with out slowing down. Of course most of the sprites are used for fancy explosions, not bad guys, so it's not too difficult. The music has a really awesome 16bit flavor. The first level song is an instant classic. Anyway, give it a try!

Yeah, it's a fun little game. I enjoy playing it, at any rate.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • WabbajackWabbajack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yup pretty fun. I haven't gotten around to beating it yet, even though you get infinite continues. The last boss is pretty harsh what with filling the whole screen and all.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, but maybe it's a given. This game really needs a control pad! You have to mash the fire button to keep shooting, and mashing 'z' on the keyboard will make your fingers fall off.

Wabbajack on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Raiden 3 is an awesome and fun game, but pretty by the numbers for shmup.

How's Chaos Field? I still need to grab that. And Ikaruga. But Ika I either cant' find or it's somewhat pricey.

It's going right back to eBay. Maybe even with RayCrisis. Big disappointment. Not a bad game, but not really worth it either.
    The duo who directed Ikaruga and Gradius V are making a shmup for the 360. Ikaruga is rumored to be a future XBLA title.

I thought it was pretty much confirmed, and we're just waiting for it to happen?

Sheep on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been playing back through Panzer Dragoon Orta (and Saga, just cause), and I think I'm going to dive into eBay and grab the first two Panzer Dragoon games as well.

Not to shill out for a company I have no stake in, but Gametap has the first two Panzer Dragoon games, so if you don't feel like you'd want them in the future (aka, want one playthrough) you could pay for the $1 month and play through them both. There are actually probably a ton of good shumps in there. For run-and-gun, they have all the metal slugs, with Metal Slug X free right now.
    The original game is in Orta actually, I don't remember what you have to do to unlock it though. I do recall that once you get 12 hours playtime everything automatically unlocks anyway.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2007
    guxt-1.jpg

http://homepage2.nifty.com/rochet/storage/guxt_1020_wz.zip

From that thar Cave Story fella...

Linked file seems to be the final version.

Also:

http://www.konami.jp/am/otome/

New Gradius spin off. I think there are some NSFW vids out there. Dunno if they REALLY are, but in one of them, an anime girl appears on screen, and I dunno if it's just the color scheme they use or her outfit, but it definitely looks like she has to naked boobs just hanging out there for the world to see.

Sheep on
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    My favorite shmup ever is most likely Castle Shikigami 2, and to think, I only got it because I liked the art design.

yea, theres a PC port of it too if youre looking to import.

Ah_Pook on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

yea, theres a PC port of it too if youre looking to import.

Castle Shikigami 3 has been out for the PC for a long time as well.

Aroduc on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Chaos Field is pretty terrible, i wouldnt bother
    I agree, I didn't really like it when I played it. The uh windshield-bullet-wiper was kinda cool, but not really.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    agreed, chaos feild would have made a sub-par last dreamcast game ever.

LewieP on
  • ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So what do most Shmup fans think of Gradius III? It is the only game in the genre that I have ever really gotten into, and I love it. I played it for hours yesterday on my Wii.

I have played Ikagura, but I just didn't really like it. I mean, it's too damn hard. I know, that makes me a little girl or whatever, but I don't care. I want to have some fun with my games without having to break my hands to get good at them.

Anyway, back to the original point. What do must of you think of Gradius III for the SNES?

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
    edited August 2007
    I enjoyed Gradius 3 when I played it (years ago)

Gradius V is freaking fantastic too.

LewieP on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.konami.jp/am/otome/

New Gradius spin off. I think there are some NSFW vids out there. Dunno if they REALLY are, but in one of them, an anime girl appears on screen, and I dunno if it's just the color scheme they use or her outfit, but it definitely looks like she has to naked boobs just hanging out there for the world to see.

Looks like it's just another konami franchise shooter in the vein of parodius. Of course it will probably never see a home release.. bleh. There's a shmups.com thread about it: http://shmups.system11.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12671

ArcticXC on
  • ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    V hunh? Is that for PS2? I might have to check that out then.
    Thanks

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
    edited August 2007
    V hunh? Is that for PS2? I might have to check that out then.
    Thanks

Aye, for the PS2, it's great, and should be pretty cheap by now.

LewieP on