As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The end of courtship & the start of Dating Thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really? I do that but I sometimes get confused looks

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I am a prize in the dating world.

It is why I have already been won.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I've met exactly one woman off of okcupid over the course of like 6 years of having an account, and I'm pretty sure she just wanted a free dinner (it was arranged over the mobile-app 'find nearby people' feature and she proposed we get dinner in the first two messages, and did not make any effort to split the bill, at a rather fancy restaurant, which she had suggested)

I'll occasionally have a conversation with a woman and then eventually it dies out and that's that

asking to meet someone in person seems so presumptuous

basically I have resigned myself to a life of quiet contemplation and occasional bouts of insane scream-laughing

Asking to meet people is the point of okcupid.

• Options
    Free dinner women are fun to date because they will talk about anything while they get fed or the wait for the food

I am that rare spawn of a prize it seems
    The one that people have no idea what it does and the ones that have seen it or used it are still confused of it's use

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

It's just about having respect, it's really as simple as that. Some people are fine with being called up the day of and being invited to a concert. Other people like to organise their shit in advance.

Same with paying for shit. As a rule if invited someone out I say that since I invited them out, I'd pay as long as they're fine with that.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Also those articles are dumb. I love dates. I am a fan of the "grand gesture" as its been called. Things like pulling a chair out, opening a car door, bringing flowers, little things like that. Appearently thats not a thing guys do these days? Every girls I've ever dated or been in a relationship with has been really blown away by that.

I would absolute hate if someone pulled out my chair or opened my car door, so I don't.

I'll get a girl some flowers, though, no doubt.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Since I broke up with my ex I've met 5 people on okcupid with varying degrees of success

I usually propose dinner for a first date, and then after that I'm usually out of ideas

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    TheClawTheClaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I figure this is a good place to ask this.

I met a girl off an OkCupid derivative, KoreanCupid. She was real nice; I liked her. We went on dates for about 4 months every weekend or every other weekend. Anywhosit things were going real well until she found out about my depression. She saw my medication sitting on the counter in my bathroom and asked about it. She didn't freak out or anything but I could tell it really bothered her. A couple weeks later she said it wasn't going to work out.

So my question is: at what point do you guys think it's a good idea to tell someone you like something really personal like that? I thought about asking this in @Metalbourne 's thread regarding trans questions but never got the chance.

TheClaw on
    When have power, how get skill? - Me
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    man, she was not real nice

as for when you'd tell someone something like that, I dunno

when it came up?

sig.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I've met a few people on OK Cupid and Plenty of Fish. I dated a few, a couple were those Free Dinner Girls Tossrock was talking about. Had a relationship with one.

But man, none of these girls on Match seem to be my type. Like there profiles are all "I love god and sports so much.", which hey, thats great, but I don't go to church and I'm not really into sports so I never get anywhere in conversation with these people. For a paid service I would think Match would have more options for things to match you up with then "You both don't hate dogs!"

• Options
    edited January 2013
    In regards to the purpose of the thread, I have mixed opinions when it comes to what is "proper". I'm old fashioned in that I prefer to be the pursuer, but I do my best to be respectful. I usually chat with them first a bit via text or email. If I like them I propose a date; usually lunch or dinner. I try to open doors and offer to hold bags, etc. The money thing is tricky so I almost always outright ask what they are comfortable with. I'll certainly pay but often it's best to split things half and half. Or alternate who pays.

I try to be a gentleman without being a chauvinist.

TheClaw on
  • Options
    man, she was not real nice

as for when you'd tell someone something like that, I dunno

when it came up?

Well while I was personally disappointed, I wouldn't feel right dictating to her what her standards should be. Sure I'd be glad if it hadn't bothered her but it did and I don't think that makes her a bad person.

• Options
    My problem is that I'm fat. I did a free E-Harmony thing one week, they don't let you post pictures. Which is a good idea. You get to chat with someone and get to know them without the hang up of looks.
    I met 10 girls in that week. Each of them gave me their number and we texted. Then after a few days, each and every one asked for a picture then immediately stopped talking to me.

• Options
    My problem is that I'm fat. I did a free E-Harmony thing one week, they don't let you post pictures. Which is a good idea. You get to chat with someone and get to know them without the hang up of looks.
    I met 10 girls in that week. Each of them gave me their number and we texted. Then after a few days, each and every one asked for a picture then immediately stopped talking to me.

I suggest lifting weights

sig.png
  • Options
    Oh thats a thing I've been working on. Diet, exercise, whole bit. Been losing the pounds. But man, that shits demoralizing

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    no picture is a nice idea, but physical attraction is the starting point of most relationships. Seems bad to defer that until later

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    no picture is a nice idea, but physical attraction is the starting point of most relationships. Seems bad to defer that until later

Yeah but then you meet some really shallow people

• Options
    Eh, the last girl I dated was actually very very attractive, though man she had issues.
    And I've had women I consider super out of my league into me before. But it always seems to be right when I'm seeing someone or ready to move out of town or something.
    I only have one rule in reguards to physical appeareance: You can't weigh more then me. Because even with me losing some, I weigh a lot. So please don't weigh that much.

• Options
    Oh thats a thing I've been working on. Diet, exercise, whole bit. Been losing the pounds. But man, that shits demoralizing

good to hear you're already working on it! don't get discouraged, make sure to stay consistent and let incremental goals drive further motivation!

sig.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    @Tossrock has escaped across international lines. Ending pursuit protocols. Suspect @Fyndir may warrant additional investigation...

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    o-oh hey there Geth ol' buddy ol' pal!

you...you wouldn't be thinking of hunting me now...right?

...right?!

• Options
    Fyndir come quick, I've got a faraday cage, it makes you invisible to robots (??)

sig.png
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    i asked a lady if she wanted to get food tonight but she said she was busy and we should catch up for dinner in a fortnight which seems a long time away and also a sign of no interest but shes super flaky in general and then real nice in person so we might actually have a great night in a few weeks but all up im pretty sure this is going nowhere
    no big deal but i dont think i got any real appealing prospects otherwise

i guess at this point my plan is to take some time to absolutely sure nothing will come of this and then if i end up moving into my own shitty little place in the next 6 months or whatever i can get on some online dating and just start ghostfucking a bunch of chicks

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    This sounds like a bad thing to say now that I think about but I actively avoid asking out girls who I think are too pretty.

Like, that's not to say that I don't think the girls I've dated are beautiful. It's just that if I'm on a site (or in person) and I think a girl is drop dead stunning, I immediately write her off as a possibility.

I think a big part of it is that I always assume she's out of my league. But every girl I ever met who was very physically beautiful has been messed up in some way. Either they are shallow and vain or enormously insecure. Every guy hits on them and tells them that they are beautiful.

Anyway I look for a girl that I think will appreciate it when I tell her she looks beautiful in that outfit, whatever it may be.

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    I want a badge
    getting a badge is as hard as meetin' a good lady

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fyndir come quick, I've got a faraday cage, it makes you invisible to robots (??)

Fyndir it's not actually a faraday cage it's a regular cage so Geth can find you easier

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I got accessory and escapee. Fuck the police!

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    everybody is messed up.

and every beautiful girl you've ever met has been especially messed up? really?

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I've been fairly active on okcupid for about 4 years and it's been pretty good. Though it's so much better in a bigger city. The dating pool when I was back in Idaho for a few months was really slim. I'm currently dating a girl from there now.

• Options
    Holy crap that post was awesomed right when I posted it

I realize it's automated but still, spoooky

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I guess this is now the "Bay Area Forumers Stay Up Too Late Thread".

Except that Mori's at work, I think, so he at least has an excuse.

• Options
    No, I'm at home

I should be asleep, as I have to be up in three hours

whoooops

• Options
    on call woop woop

the life of an op is nothing if not glorious

sig.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I want to get the badge for fuckin' locking someone up. I want to aid Geth. I want to repay it for all the good it has done. I always alert.

I mean, you must have done something to deserve the robots wrath.

• Options
    whoops.jpg indeed

Meanwhile I just crunched the numbers again on dryers. For the model I've picked out, I believe gas is 40 cents cheaper per load than electric. Considering the price difference, this will take about 300 loads of laundry to pay off. So then how quickly it pays off just comes down to how much laundry I think I'm going to do.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    geth insta agreeing with that: equal parts funny and scary

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    On the topic of dating, I think Rachel and I have had more actual 'dates' in the past year than we have in the previous years of our relationship. Thinking about it, having a kid has definitely made us appreciate our alone time together much more.

• Options

good to hear you're already working on it! don't get discouraged, make sure to stay consistent and let incremental goals drive further motivation!

At first it was spite and anger, now its just because it gives me time to gather my thoughts/watch netflix.

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    whoops.jpg indeed

Meanwhile I just crunched the numbers again on dryers. For the model I've picked out, I believe gas is 40 cents cheaper per load than electric. Considering the price difference, this will take about 300 loads of laundry to pay off. So then how quickly it pays off just comes down to how much laundry I think I'm going to do.

Er, uh, ladies

(since this is the dating thread and all)

• Options
    Some of those badges are a dubious honour

This discussion has been closed.