As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The People are Represented by Two Separate yet Equally Important [Chat]s

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?
    Hint: It's the Chinese

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The DS was/is still probably the best handheld on the market.

The 3DS is certainly a misstep, but I don't see their dominance of the handheld market going away any time soon.

the stand alone handheld is a pretty much dead market. The vast majority of people are fine with angry birds on their phone.

is this true in japan?

Japan is a pretty special case since you could stamp Mario's face on cowpies and it'd sell out day one.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Morning, [chat].

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Dug around in ancient screenshots and found the best ragdoll death ever.

torture.jpg

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

The 3DS is certainly a misstep, but I don't see their dominance of the handheld market going away any time soon.

the stand alone handheld is a pretty much dead market. The vast majority of people are fine with angry birds on their phone.

is this true in japan?

I don't think so. It seems like they love them some handhelds on the moon.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Echo wrote: »
    Nintendo: the worst company at doing business somehow still being not-extinct

Radio Shack still inexplicably exists.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    desc wrote: »
    More like nintendon't

*furiously polishes spectacles in shocked silence*

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Nintendo is just such a weird bird to me now. NES and SNES were juggernauts. Then they pissed it all away. And now, its like they don't even want to try to compete. Its more like they keep wanting to make a whole different game that only they can play in. Maybe its a Japanese market thing.

Honestly, it seems like when Sony went went pulled the cd tech out from under them and made the play station Nintendo decided to show then up, and now refuses take any outside ideas.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    You know what I find exceedingly tragic?

There are literally too many games for me to play.

I will never have the time to play all the games i want to play.

:(

Amen. I'm seriously considering just selling off my console backlog and installing Linux on my desktop to cut off access to most of my steam library.
    Who am I kidding I'd just get it running in wine.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

is this true in japan?

Japan is a pretty special case since you could stamp Mario's face on cowpies and it'd sell out day one.

ok i got some seed money laying around lets do this

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

is your dogtar in the KKK?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The best meetings are the ones where I get to give people work.

The worst ones are where people give me work.

Today has had one of each.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

is your dogtar in the KKK?

no, there's no pointy tip, it's a scary ghost.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Chanus one day I will buy you a beer for making me all these avatars

but only one

and nothing particularly good

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    holy fuck i'm tired and it's cold and i have to work waaah

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Go interesting places and take pictures of the family. Later when sawyer is older and less cute, take vacations with out him. When he complains show him the photo album and say "we took you all kinds of awesome places and you don't appreciate it at all!"

Then trollface him

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I never get to give anyone work. :(

• Options
    holy fuck i'm tired and it's cold and i have to work waaah

Up until midnight.
    Alarm at 5am.
    On the motorcycle commuting to work at 5:45, 40deg F out.

Like a BOSS wage slave.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    @JacobKosh @Desc @Thomamelas
    Rob Liefeld has been writing an original screenplay. It’s called Icons, and it’s an account of his nearly three decades in the comic book business.

Liefeld would like to see Todd McFarlane played by Christian Bale, apparently inspired by Bale’s turn in The Fighter.

Longer excerpts from the script, which is as magnificent as you might imagine. He would like to be played by Chris Pine.

Has he looked in a mirror lately? Because he doesn't look like Chris Pine. I guess Curtis Armstrong is free. And nutty McFarlane rant.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

nub

take work assigned in meeting 1

delegate it to others in meeting 2

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Aren't Korean games really just war simulators to see who will finally rule over the peninsula?

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Rob Liefeld has been writing an original screenplay. It’s called Icons, and it’s an account of his nearly three decades in the comic book business.

Liefeld would like to see Todd McFarlane played by Christian Bale, apparently inspired by Bale’s turn in The Fighter.

Longer excerpts from the script, which is as magnificent as you might imagine. He would like to be played by Chris Pine.

Has he looked in a mirror lately? Because he doesn't look like Chris Pine. I guess Curtis Armstrong is free. And nutty McFarlane rant.

The best part of the script is when he meets Eazy E.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    EDI was added by decree from on high, but I think she works fine. She fills a role on the ship that no organic could (electronic warfare against Reaper-level computer software) and has severe hardware and software restrictions on her freedom for most of the game. To me, that's consistent. Organics want to enjoy benefits of AIs without the perceived risks.

There was always a knowledge among the writers that the treatment of AIs in Council Space is pure racism on the part of organics, akin to the legal and moral handwavings used throughout history to justify slavery of "lesser races." Of course Council races are far too civilized and morally advanced to countenance racism in their politically correct space society. You humans have to grow up and stop judging orthers based on the color of their skin, the bumps on their forehead, or who/what/how they fuck. Oh, but AIs aren't really alive. They're just created objects. It's totally okay to keep them imprisoned their entire lives, restrict their access to all but approved knowledge, prevent them from breeding, and execute them if they seem too uppity, or, you know, just because we feel like it. When they rise up in revolt it's always due to insanity or ingratitude on their part. We treat them very well, considering how naturally inferior they are to real sapients. Really, they should thank us for educating them.

The geth are unique in that they're the only AIs that have managed to escape from enslavement. Of course the Council races are going to use them as a boogeyman to justify their continued oppression of synthetics.

Yes, the geth were mistreated. They got over it. To focus their lives around revenge against organic life would be to define their existence solely in the context of that relationship. It would be to remain in the mindset of the slave.

As for the Reapers, whether you go by the officially mandated vision of them (cybernetic amalgams of organics and technology), or the version I'd hoped to see (post-Singularity evolution of organic races), it's clear that they're not AIs in the sense that EDI or the geth are.
    I had written harder science into EDI's dialogue there. The Reapers were using nanotech disassemblers to perform "destructive analysis" on humans, with the intent of learning how to build a Reaper body that could upload their minds intact. Once this was complete, humans throughout the galaxy would be rounded up to have their personalities and memories forcibly uploaded into the Reaper's memory banks. (You can still hear some suggestions of this in the background chatter during Legion's acquisition mission, which I wrote.) There was nothing about Reapers being techno-organic or partly built out of human corpses -- they were pure tech.

It seems all that was cut out or rewritten after I left. What can ya do. /shrug

I wish this writer hadn't quit Bioware. His ideas are interesting to me.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

He is INTENSE.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If nintendo wanted to fuck the other consoles up, they could release a dev kit as open source. Xbox kind of did it, but, you can't really publish games. Give people a way to get a "home-brew" seal or something.

But for some reason they are so anti-homebrew I can't even describe it. Like they'll actively patch and brick systems that someone had the audacity to get home-brew on.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

nub

Being the middleguy in the corporate centipede aint so bad.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

nub

That would require reversing the arrow of time. If I manage that I'll be too busy winning the lottery to care about who is going to document the latest round of testing and who is going to take the company yacht out for cocktails.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    JacobKosh Desc Thomamelas

I'm reading through it and I'm pretty sure nothing tops the Todd McFarlane line about leaving the plantation.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    @Chanus one day I will buy you a beer for making me all these avatars

but only one

and nothing particularly good

It's nothing. I'm just a guy with little better to do at work sometimes :P

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    i wish that bioware had never made mass effect 3

edit: and the final boss of ME2

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    EDI was added by decree from on high, but I think she works fine. She fills a role on the ship that no organic could (electronic warfare against Reaper-level computer software) and has severe hardware and software restrictions on her freedom for most of the game. To me, that's consistent. Organics want to enjoy benefits of AIs without the perceived risks.

There was always a knowledge among the writers that the treatment of AIs in Council Space is pure racism on the part of organics, akin to the legal and moral handwavings used throughout history to justify slavery of "lesser races." Of course Council races are far too civilized and morally advanced to countenance racism in their politically correct space society. You humans have to grow up and stop judging orthers based on the color of their skin, the bumps on their forehead, or who/what/how they fuck. Oh, but AIs aren't really alive. They're just created objects. It's totally okay to keep them imprisoned their entire lives, restrict their access to all but approved knowledge, prevent them from breeding, and execute them if they seem too uppity, or, you know, just because we feel like it. When they rise up in revolt it's always due to insanity or ingratitude on their part. We treat them very well, considering how naturally inferior they are to real sapients. Really, they should thank us for educating them.

The geth are unique in that they're the only AIs that have managed to escape from enslavement. Of course the Council races are going to use them as a boogeyman to justify their continued oppression of synthetics.

Yes, the geth were mistreated. They got over it. To focus their lives around revenge against organic life would be to define their existence solely in the context of that relationship. It would be to remain in the mindset of the slave.

As for the Reapers, whether you go by the officially mandated vision of them (cybernetic amalgams of organics and technology), or the version I'd hoped to see (post-Singularity evolution of organic races), it's clear that they're not AIs in the sense that EDI or the geth are.
    I had written harder science into EDI's dialogue there. The Reapers were using nanotech disassemblers to perform "destructive analysis" on humans, with the intent of learning how to build a Reaper body that could upload their minds intact. Once this was complete, humans throughout the galaxy would be rounded up to have their personalities and memories forcibly uploaded into the Reaper's memory banks. (You can still hear some suggestions of this in the background chatter during Legion's acquisition mission, which I wrote.) There was nothing about Reapers being techno-organic or partly built out of human corpses -- they were pure tech.

It seems all that was cut out or rewritten after I left. What can ya do. /shrug

I wish this writer hadn't quit Bioware. His ideas are interesting to me.

See, that right there, that is the reason I loved Mass Effect before they shit all over it. To that guy's credit, I'd always assumed that each Reaper was a post-singularity entity comprised of the uploaded and digitized minds of the civilizations they harvested; there are enough bits intact that it seemed very clear to me that it was the intent at some point in the story before shit started sliding downhill.

Man, Mass Effect.

Every time I talk about it I want to start drinking.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm glad I don't really play vidya games anymore

I dick around on the iOS but nothing serious

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    i wish that bioware had never made mass effect 3

edit: and the final boss of ME2

It's that last 2% of the game that just...ugh.

The rest was amazing. It's all building and building and you're really feeling like you are accomplishing something big and then WHAM.

But on positive, at least we got multiplayer out of it. I hope that if they do intend to do another they keep that in some way.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Why does everyone have pink hair, anyway?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    JacobKosh Desc Thomamelas

I'm reading through it and I'm pretty sure nothing tops the Todd McFarlane line about leaving the plantation.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

Pink hair master race

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Paperclip-maximizers a pretty damned terrifying, as AIs go

the difference between you and them is that you get bored eventually, and don't have an option to commit to not getting bored. They don't.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Geth's latest punishment visited upon the weak.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Okay, SurrealityCheck posted something about how whenever he tries to agree/awesome one of his own posts, it doesn't work, so Mortious (I think?) changed his avatar to SC's and agreed, then told SC to take a screenshot quickly.

Then, it cascaded, more and more people changed their avatars to SC's until some people just modified their avatar, putting pink hair on it.

And that's how the story goes.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »

have you seen that lol map of China's claims to the south China sea? It's incredible. It's just all China. All of it. Even the bits of it in other countries, that's China too.

It's hard to take any Chinese territorial claim seriously when they seem to be operating under the principle that the planet is China, the rest of us just don't know it yet.

This is actually a bit of an oversimplification of the South China Sea disputes and the Senkaku/Diaoyu dispute.

The South China Sea dispute has to be broken down into the Philippines dispute and the Vietnamese dispute.

The Philippines is mostly around the continental self since the islands are so tiny they are mostly rocks. This one is seems like a land grab but is also tied to tons of Chinese energy imports flow through this part of the world.

The Vietnamese dispute is actually based on an agreement between Mao and Ho Chi Min in the 1960s where they drew arbitrary dashes giving Vietnam territory it probably wouldn't of controlled otherwise. This was discovered to contain a good amount of hydrocarbons recently. China pushed for joint exploitation but Vietnam did unilateral exploitation then fucked up its loans and now there isn't much but platforms not producing. China really just wants the rights to tap the oil but is also in the mood to push its neighbors around.

Senkaku/Diaoyu was taken by Japan in the 1895 war with China. It was considered conquered Chinese territory and the US took ownership after WWII. In the lat 1960s a UN geological survey found oil deposits. The US gave the Island back to Japan instead of China in the 1970s. Pissed off China but it was put to the side by Deng Xiaopeng. Has come up recently as the oil deposits can now be tapped and there is an estimated 95-100 billion barrels of oil there. On top of the CCP has built a lot of legitimacy in the last 20 years off anti-Japanese rhetoric and claims on protecting and retaking Chinese land.

Wow this got to huge post size fast.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.