As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The People are Represented by Two Separate yet Equally Important [Chat]s

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular

Ludious wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Dawg journalism ain't dead.

Newspapers are (well, will be soon - some of them actually still enjoy a pretty large circulation!). Mainstream media is a joke, but that's only somewhat it's fault - turn thine gaze inward, viewers / listeners.

But inaccurate tweeting will only get us so far when we want to know what actually happened. And we'll always want to know what happened!

and yet CNN let go of all their investigative journalists

the Times has no more environmental desk (lol global warming wut)

twitter doesn't pay journalists, so while we know the old style of media is dying, there's nowhere for professionals to go right now

http://www.vice.com
    http://www.tytnetwork.com/
    http://amberlyonlive.com/

That doesn't really answer the need for local news, though. Major online news sources will never be able to compensate for the death of the local paper.
    meh local

You have a point and I am not dismissing it

but meh local

Your Board of Selectmen might be stealing babies from their cribs and then selling them on the baby black market

and you'd have no way of knowing, because the local paper that would report on it is dead.

True, I'd hate to miss out on a good deal on used babies

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Why do I keep reading spool's spoilers

This is information I do not desire :P

Anyway dudes and dudettes, I'm going to another class.

Take 'er sleazy.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Blurgh.

Guess I should file my taxes tonight.

Gotta get that 50 bucks back.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Whoever decided the EITC can only be claimed by people over 25 is a dumbass.

Pfft.

People under 25 don't earn anything!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Damnit, out of mio and the vending machine at work has Livewire. So tempted.

I can't even remember the last time I drank Mt. Dew :/

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Basically, customers are mostly worthless parasites sucking the lifeblood from your job and leaving you as a desiccated husk

There are very few things that can make my boss mad, telling him he doesn't know how to run the business that he's been doing since he could walk basically is on top of the list though.

Listening to customers trying to -- let's not candy coat this -- bully / scam free shit out of businesses always makes me profoundly annoyed. Eff that.

I could see in a small business an owner or manager taking a stand. But the managers at big chain places hand out that shit like candy. They just don't want to deal with it. My first job was at an AMC theater.

Guy complains he went into the wrong theater, watched 75% of the wrong screening, and wants his money back.
    Management answer: Free pass and a concession voucher.

Guy complains he went into the wrong theater watched 100% of the wrong MOVIE, and wants his money back.

And my personal favorite. Guy gets kicked out after getting caught jackin' it in Street Fighter: The Movie. Comes back a week later and complains about his treatment.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I filed my taxes last night.

I get a weird enjoyment out of it.

Even when I owe, I just like the process.

I'm not right.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I forgot to tell my employer until now that I'm scheduled for Jury Duty next week. Did I screw up?

I'm just a part-timer, and I wasn't scheduled to work on the day of my summons.

You should definitely inform them ASAP if you're scheduled for it. My understanding is that there's still a pretty good chance you won't have to go in for it though, the couple times I got it I called in the night before and they said I didn't have to report.

Yeah, I just told them.

And under the question that asks about stuff that might affect my ability to be a fair and impartial juror, I wrote that I recently watched Central Park Five and am now prejudiced against prosecutors and the criminal justice system as a whole.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

I'm entirely up front about their content!

spool32 on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I'm not right.

It's one of the three things you need to do as a citizen!

You should feel good about it!

Lh96QHG.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I'm not right.

You have a bright future at H&R Block, though.

nibXTE7.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Blurgh.

Guess I should file my taxes tonight.

Gotta get that 50 bucks back.

if I have to pay in this year again I am going to pop like a pinata full of furious candy

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Skippydumptruck

DoTA2, all the MOBA less grinding with hats!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I haven't gotten my w whichever number it is that you need to file yet but I probably will as soon as I do. Maybe get a little bit back because of my student loan payments.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Man what now rumors say the next xbox is going to be called "Xbox" again

interesting

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I get a decent bit back in Federal. I get just enough back in state to pay the online filing+direct deposit deal.

Bless your heart.
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Skippydumptruck

no more moba for me

too addicting

I still sometimes get the itch for that perfect over the wall blitz grab, or the blind lux ult

*shakes*

The only year I got a decent tax refund was 2010, because of the education credits.

But then I went to school abroad and none of that counted anymore.

Lh96QHG.png
    Which is fine, because we should give incentives for an American education, but still annoying!

Lh96QHG.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Basically, customers are mostly worthless parasites sucking the lifeblood from your job and leaving you as a desiccated husk

There are very few things that can make my boss mad, telling him he doesn't know how to run the business that he's been doing since he could walk basically is on top of the list though.

Listening to customers trying to -- let's not candy coat this -- bully / scam free shit out of businesses always makes me profoundly annoyed. Eff that.

I could see in a small business an owner or manager taking a stand. But the managers at big chain places hand out that shit like candy. They just don't want to deal with it. My first job was at an AMC theater.

Guy complains he went into the wrong theater, watched 75% of the wrong screening, and wants his money back.

Guy complains he went into the wrong theater watched 100% of the wrong MOVIE, and wants his money back.

And my personal favorite. Guy gets kicked out after getting caught jackin' it in Street Fighter: The Movie. Comes back a week later and complains about his treatment.

This must be how complainers get started. It works a few times and becomes their default approach to all dealings as a customer.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I've gotten upwards of 9k back before. Last year I got 1800. This year I are worried about owing.

I'm getting at least $1000 back on my tax return. Hopefully more, but I won't know because I qualify for an obscure-as-fuck mortgage credit and the IRS hasn't yet finalized the form I need.

sloth I like your new av

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I hope my dubz come in soon. I want all that dosh.

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Skippydumptruck

We gotta get our dotes on again soon. It's been too long since I fed.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

I also roll my eyes at customers getting mega butthurt about slightly slow service when they are holding up the line for all the other customers but that is a much lesser crime. It sucks to have to wait for things or to get the incorrect thing, but yo: mistakes happen. When you're standing in the way of everyone else and moving from one employee to the next telling them that you'll tell everyone in your office to never come to this establishment, I can only think the employees are all thinking "holy shit, please do and never come back."

Pretty much yeah. When we screw up, we admit we screw up, it happens. We have no problem handing out gift cards and free stuff when it's our fault. But there are seriously people out there who just get off on being mad at things I guess.

Thank executives who have done the math and decided it is cheaper to have managers give angry customers what they want than fight them when they are wrong.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    I haven't gotten my w whichever number it is that you need to file yet but I probably will as soon as I do. Maybe get a little bit back because of my student loan payments.

Taxes are going to be weird for me this year.

I haven't received any income since September or October of 2011.

how does this work?

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm getting at least $1000 back on my tax return. Hopefully more, but I won't know because I qualify for an obscure-as-fuck mortgage credit and the IRS hasn't yet finalized the form I need.

tell me, fellow home-owner and not rent-level scrub

what is this obscure home credit

I've gotten upwards of 9k back before. Last year I got 1800. This year I are worried about owing.

I owed 3k one year and 4k a different year

fucking horrible

I'm not right.

It's one of the three things you need to do as a citizen!

You should feel good about it!

1) Pay taxes
    2) Make money
    3) Fuck bitches

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

I'm entirely up front about their content!

i enjoy them spool

i have our office marketing assistant doing them up in nice calligraphy as we speak

later i may get the wife to re-enact the content of your posts using an impromptu script

*and i believe spool was positioned like so*

*now say something dirty about Obama*

*yeahhhhhhhhhh*

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am getting ~$1500 i think

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My management training at Walmart explicitly said to ultimately give the angry customer what they wanted regardless so as to 'provide good customer service'.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.

fucking horrible

Yeah but now you have your welfare baby

once my return (fingers crossed) comes back, and I get my bonus in the spring, I am going to try to pay off one of our student loans entirely

my precious dollars :(

edited January 2013

It's called the MCC - specifically for first-time buyers purchasing their main residence after a VA foreclosure on the property. As long as I don't move or sell the place for 8 years, I can basically take (slightly less than ) double the standard mortgage interest deduction, except the second half is a proper credit... as long as my tax bill isn't $0 before I apply it.

spool32 on

fucking horrible

skippy you have babby now. You'll get a $1000 credit from that!

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Reading tabloid story on a football game between sweden and north korea. The article is specifically about how sweden won because one of the NK players missed a penalty kick really badly. The article makes lots of jokes about how bad it was, ending with "We haven't been able to reach Han Song Hwan for a comment. We also have not even tried". Lol lol

But all that crosses my mind is that while they are making jokes he will probably work in a gulag for 10 years.

PSN: Honkalot
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I was so happy last year. The first year in probably 8 that I wasn't going to be paying 1K+. I actually got some back! Hurray! Hurray!

Then the money got seized caused my wife's student loan wasn't being paid correctly. :(

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

It's called the MCC - specifically for first-time buyers purchasing their main residence after a VA foreclosure on the property. As long as I don't move or sell the place for 8 years, I can basically take (slightly less than ) double the standard mortgage interest deduction, except the second half is a proper credit... as long as my tax bill isn't $0 before I apply it.

what the hell kind of legislative motivation drove this

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.