As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Confirmed Panels 2013

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
So it looks like panelists are starting to receive confirmations of their panel submissions.

If you want to discuss confirmed panels, please do so here.

If you are someone who submitted a panel but has not received any information thus far, hang tight. If the past is any indicator, it's a rolling process and not all the emails go out at once. Pestering about it will not make the process go faster.

• Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    zerzhul, you got really excited for a minute. I thought the schedule was released. Silly me.

This space for rent
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    Well Mega64 confirmed they are having a panel on Friday.

• Red RegexRed Regex Visioneer, Red Foe Games MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    After the Endgame: Indie Studios Founded by 38 Studios Alumni

38 Studios closed in May 2012, almost a year ago. We've gathered seven former 38 devs who decided to make indie games, possibly due to a deep-seated love of ramen. Board games, mobile games, and PC games are all represented, and it's guaranteed to be much more interesting than my forum post!

It's been confirmed, looking like Saturday afternoon, and I'm really looking forward to it. There's going to be a lot to cover in an hour - 38 background, all the individual panelists and their games, what it's like starting a company, the difference between AAA-budget and no-budget, how to not go insane, on top of whatever the audience has questions about. I'm sure there won't be time for everything, but we're putting in a lot of effort to fit in as much as possible. Hope to see you there!

• aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    This will be a very interesting panel to say the least.

I honestly hope they don't get too encumbered by the giant failure that was 38-studios. There are a lot of locals who are not very happy about the former business model and Rhode Islands hand in it.
    Red Regex wrote: »
    After the Endgame: Indie Studios Founded by 38 Studios Alumni

38 Studios closed in May 2012, almost a year ago. We've gathered seven former 38 devs who decided to make indie games, possibly due to a deep-seated love of ramen. Board games, mobile games, and PC games are all represented, and it's guaranteed to be much more interesting than my forum post!

It's been confirmed, looking like Saturday afternoon, and I'm really looking forward to it. There's going to be a lot to cover in an hour - 38 background, all the individual panelists and their games, what it's like starting a company, the difference between AAA-budget and no-budget, how to not go insane, on top of whatever the audience has questions about. I'm sure there won't be time for everything, but we're putting in a lot of effort to fit in as much as possible. Hope to see you there!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    zerzhul, you got really excited for a minute. I thought the schedule was released. Silly me.

heh, yeahhh.... not this early ;)

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Me me me! Just my email that my crafting panel was approved. Not posting the description just yet because I want to edit it a bit first :)

HI3789R.png
  • JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    TotalBiscuit just confirmed that there will be a live TGS Podcast Panel with Jesse Cox, Dodger, and himself.

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Jindrax wrote: »
    TotalBiscuit just confirmed that there will be a live TGS Podcast Panel with Jesse Cox, Dodger, and himself.
    I was just going to post this... :P

pax%20sig.png
  • liedraliedra Registered User regular
    I'm quite excited to announce that my panel on video games and ethics has been approved. I'm a technology ethicist at De Montfort University in the UK, and was at PAX East last year and enjoyed it so much I thought it'd be fun to submit a panel for this year. My panelist-in-crime is Paul LaCen, a writer at DualShockers as well as an Enforcer, and I know very well that he is one for spirited discussion of issues of ethics and morality!

I'm not a big forum-goer here (as you can probably tell), but I'll keep an eye on this thread (and any PMs) to take note of any questions and issues you'd think might be particularly interesting to discuss in this panel. Here's the blurb for our panel:
    Video games are the ever-increasing focus for controversial issues such as bullying, misogyny, sexism, as well as depictions of sex and violence. However, as we all know, video games can be a positive tool to educate and change society; teaching players to think strategically, encouraging teamwork and creativity, and granting fans a chance to build a culture and community all their own. In this panel, we ask (and try to answer): What ethical responsibilities, if any, do game developers have to society? Should developers be concerned with how gamers act in the increasingly prevalent social aspect of games? What part does the consumer play when faced with ethical dilemmas in the games they play? Join Dr. Catherine Flick, a technology ethicist from De Montfort University, UK, and Paul LaCen, staff writer for DualShockers, in discussing and debating these issues. We will even discuss the microcosm of “ethical play” in competitive settings. Feel free to bring any gaming-related ethical dilemmas or issues you are interested in to add to the discussion!

Look forward to seeing you there! Our tentative time is 2.30pm Saturday in the Sphinx theatre.

edited January 2013
    oops, looks like it double-posted. Sorry!

liedra on
  • ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    The Gamer Assembly has two confirmed Panels this year.

Worldbuilding 101
    Tentative: Friday, March 22nd at 3:00pm in our Tabletop theatre
    Our panel of experienced designers, editors, artists, and trained nerds talk about their experiences working on both personal and company-owned settings including the Midgard, Experiment073, and 3 Generations After the End. Topics include finding where to start, working with other creators, reinterpreting existing work, and knowing when to stop creating.
    Panelists include: Brian Liberge [Game Designer, Freelance], Jim White [Editor/Writer/Designer, Freelance], Kaitlynn Peavler [Artist, Freelance], Casey Peavler [Nerd], Art Vaccarino [Nerd]

Tabletop System Wars
    Tentative: Saturday, March 23rd at 4:30pm in our Tabletop theatre
    You’re thinking about your next RPG. How will you decide which system is Fated to carry your next campaign idea into the Marvelous realm of Godlike gaming experiences? Will your Travellers be HEROs or ride Lady Blackbird to Apocalypse World? Will your Shadowrunners survive their Fiasco and become Role Masters, or will your Pathfinders scatter into a Diaspora among the Stars Without Number? Does your Dungeon need Dragons, Crawling Classics, or Worlds to explore? That’s where we come in. Our team of designers, editors, and nerds will brainstorm, suggest, and debate until you’ve got the system that fits for you. Bring your ideas, we’ll bring the nerd rage.
    Panelists include: Brian Liberge [Game Designer, Freelance], Jim White [RPG Editor/Writer/Designer, Freelance], Casey Peavler [Nerd], Tresi Arvizo [Nerd], Bob Smith [Nerd], Art Vaccarino [Nerd]

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    The GamersWithJobs crew just announced their Live Podcast recording.
    "Gamers With Jobs -- Why We Game" (Gamers With Jobs Conference Call Live) is scheduled for Sunday, March 24th at 12:30pm in the Arachnid theatre with Shawn Andrich, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Jeff Green, Justin McElroy and myself.

If you're not familiar, GamersWithJobs is a community of grown-up gamers that typically have jobs and discuss gaming and getting old. Some of the staff are professional writers (Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks and I believe Justin McElroy?), while others merely contribute to the site. It's a great community and the podcast is honestly my favorite on the subject of video games.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Nintendo World Report announced that they will have 2 panels this year. The first is Saturday at 11am and is called "Super Radio Free Nintendo 64 Live Panel U and Mii" which will be a live episode of the Radio Free Nintendo podcast. The second will be Sunday at 11am and is a game show from their Conenctivity podcast "Who Wants to be a Nintendoaire". I played on their Jeopardy panel last year and loved it.

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Bill Doran and friends will be having a costume panel.

Take This Project will have a panel on Friday @ 2pm. TakeThisProject is a support group that deals with anxiety/depression issues amongst gamers.

Mass Effect Marathon will have a panel about how to run a child's play charity event. Saturday @ 12:30 Merman Theatre

Ben Kuchera, Susan Arendt, Mike Laidlaw, Brian Crecente are going to be talking about parents as video game characters.

Foreplay: Romance in Video Games w/ Miellyn Barrows, Lacy Wilson, @THEquadskater, Aenne Schumann, Hilary Shapiro, and Sean Baptiste

Jason Schreier of Kotaku has a panel about JRPGs.

The Shaft Podcast will be having a live podcast on Friday @ 4pm Naga Theatre

Insomniac Games will have a panel about Fuse.

Susan Arendt and Dan Amrich will host PAX East Game Show Night

Slasher and djWheat are hosting, eSports: Past, Present, and Future

Greg Tito of The Escapist will be hosting Dorks vs. Sports and Future of Playing a Role in Videogame RPGs

Chris Kohler will be co-hosting: Retrogame Roadshow w/ Steven Lin, 404ing It (video game/nerd culture podcast?) w/ Pat Baer, Ryan Davis (Giant Bomb), Eric Pope (Harmonix Community Dev) and possibly PAX East Game Show Night?

The (Boston) Indie Life: From Breaking In to Making It w/ Dejobaan Games, Owlchemy Labs, Team Subatomic, Demiurge Studios, @OMGLazerKittens, Seth Sivak and Disruptor Beam

Muzzy Lane is hosting the panel: Return of Turn Based Games

schezar is presenting: Practical Game Theory and Mastering Game Mechanics

Dungeon World is hosting The Dungeon World: Make Stuff

The Game On Girl Podcast will be presenting: What's Your Gamer Type?

Found a couple of these, a bunch of the others are from the folks who run the PAX Google Doc on reddit. (Times/Theaters could possibly change between now and PAX. Also these are merely tweets, things could be wrong.)

Jindrax on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    wow i didnt even know Take This Project exsisted but, as someone with anxiety issues, i will totally be there....maybe....FUCK! :P

7US7VWW.png
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    also, Jeff Gerstman of Giantbomb fame tweeted "Friday, 3/22, 9PM, Phoenix Theater, PAX East. We will be there."

7US7VWW.png
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Rock Band Panel,

"Coming to PAX East? We just got word that our @RockBand tell all panel has been approved so we better see you all there! So many secrets."

source:

pax%20sig.png
  • TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    Me me me! Just my email that my crafting panel was approved. Not posting the description just yet because I want to edit it a bit first :)

Crafting panel? I might be able to convince my girlfriend to come!

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Any word yet if ACAM will be doing any panels this year, or did I forget that that info. is already available? Will the video game roadshow be back as well???/

• AustinGrossmanAustinGrossman Registered User new member
    On Saturday I have a panel on telling stories through gameplay rather than dialogue or exposition - trying to do a more interesting, argumentative spin on the usual "Story/Writing in Games" panel. The panelists aren't final but I'll be grabbing people out of forward-thinking story-driven games like Dishonored, Rock Band, BioShock, XCom, Journey, and such. Should be very interesting.

Everything will probably change, but this was the initial pitch:
    "This panel is about creating stories through game design - not just cut-scenes and dialogue, but places where level design and game mechanics themselves create drama, enable choice, and let you change the meaning of the world. Austin Grossman moderates a panel of story and game design experts as they analyze cases like XCom, Ico, and Deus Ex to talk about this works, and show how the future of storytelling in games isn't in imitating the success of earlier media, it's learning to tell stories and create characters as only we can do it - interactively!"

• AustinGrossmanAustinGrossman Registered User new member
    On Saturday I have a panel on telling stories through gameplay rather than dialogue or exposition - trying to do a more interesting, argumentative spin on the usual "Story/Writing in Games" panel. The panelists aren't final but I'll be grabbing people out of forward-thinking story-driven games like Dishonored, Rock Band, BioShock, XCom, Journey, and such. Should be very interesting.

Everything will probably change, but this was the initial pitch:
    "This panel is about creating stories through game design - not just cut-scenes and dialogue, but places where level design and game mechanics themselves create drama, enable choice, and let you change the meaning of the world. Austin Grossman moderates a panel of story and game design experts as they analyze cases like XCom, Ico, and Deus Ex to talk about this works, and show how the future of storytelling in games isn't in imitating the success of earlier media, it's learning to tell stories and create characters as only we can do it - interactively!"

• mhawk066mhawk066 Registered User regular
    Jindrax wrote: »

Does anyone know exactly when the TGS panel will happen ? I only have saturday and sunday badges and I LOOOOOVE the TGS podcast

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh, quick disclaimer: the schedule is always fluid and until the official schedule is released the times and locations of the panels *could* change.

• LadySnip3rLadySnip3r Registered User regular
    I've got a panel on Saturday morning (tenatively) basically on showing your love for games in a cool way. In other words, we'll be discussing taking inspiration from games and turning it into real life. I'll post more info once the description is finalized :)

Our lineup includes myself (creator of Console to Closet), Mitch from The Drunken Moogle, K. from Pwn Love, & Jon from Fangamer.

It's my first panel ever and I'm so excited! I hope to see you there :)

(If you've got any questions and whatnot, PM me!)

LadySnip3r

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Saturday @ noon in the Corgi theater, the crafting panel:
    Geeks Get +5 to Crafting
    Geeks and Crafters. There's a definite overlap. And with good reason. Whether you want to make your own cosplay, paint minis, design maps and scenery, or build replicas, your favorite game or fandom can be excellent reason to explore the crafting world. Geeky pastimes have certainly inspired these panelists in their knitting, sewing, pottery, metal-working, and more. Hear them discuss their love of creating, ask us questions, and maybe even win something (handmade, of course!).
    Panelists:
    Punzie McGinty [seamstress, pixel quilting queen, Rapunzel's Tower Etsy store]
    Chelsea Bloxsom [seamstress, monster maker, Love and a Sandwich Etsy store]
    Kimberly Swanner [freelancer, superior ceramist, White Island Bird Studios]
    Richard Surroz [case mod master, Out of the Box Mods]

The one at Prime was super fun and the theater was 100% full. Hoping for a repeat :)

HI3789R.png
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    A friend-of-mine's brother has a "panel about the use of games for national security problems"

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Looks like there will be a panel called "Borders and Bullets"

gonexall on
  • mpsmps Registered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Any word yet if ACAM will be doing any panels this year, or did I forget that that info. is already available? Will the video game roadshow be back as well???/

Yes, we are doing two. Saturday (3/23) @ 4:30pm & Sunday (4/24) @ 1pm. We will be announcing more details as soon as we get some travel arrangements locked down for our panelists.

We are starting to archive our video from past convention panels so everyone can see them. The first ones are posted now featuring the "Arcade Video" and "Arcade Pinball" session from PAX-East 2012. They can be found here. youtube.com/user/acam1998

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors
    The American Classic Arcade Museum

Thank you mps. I absolutely loved the pinball panel last year. It was great getting to see the reproduction unit. I'm really looking forward to your new panels, and the classic arcade as well!!!!

• KitInakaKitInaka Registered User regular
    I know that Rooster Teeth Confirmed on their podcast that they have a Panel too.

• Cloud25XDCloud25XD Registered User regular
    I know a few guys from gamespot said they would be running around taking pics and watching shows and things as will Red 5, Developers of FireFall but neither will have a panel.

• Rise_Up44Rise_Up44 MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I am still trying to confirm if there will be a panel or just a presents at Pax from IGN.com In a recent email I did get a response saying they were sending people but did not get a confirmation yet what those people coming will be doing.
    **Updated as of Feb.28th word is IGN.Com will be holding a Game Scoop Panel at Pax East.

Rise_Up44 on
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    I'm going to be in a panel where we'll do a staged reading of That Cute Radioactive Couple, a tie-in play to a free Fallout: NV mod of the same name. Then there will be a general discussion on transmedia, nerd theatre, and post-apocalyptic stuff in general. Saturday at 6:30.

My understanding is that some people from the Fallout team are also going to be on the panel, but I'm just the (nerdy) actor and it's not my event, so I'll probably find out more details around the same time y'all do. In the meantime, here's the website for the play/game:

http://www.charlesbattersby.com/thatcutewebpage.html

• erunamaerunama Registered User new member
    Xbox's Major Nelson will be hosting his podcast again, Saturday at 5:30pm:

• mpsmps Registered User regular
    The American Classic Arcade Museum is pleased to announce the following panel sessions at PAX-East 2013:

ACAM – CLASSIC VIDEOGAME PANEL
    Saturday, March 23rd, 2013
    Corgi Theatre @ at 4:30pm

Join Mike Stulir of The American Classic Arcade Museum as he discusses the birth of the video game industry, and the classic age of console and arcade video games. Appearing with Mike are legendary arcade game designers including the people behind arcade games such as "Super Missile Attack," "Ms. Pac-Man," "Food Fight," "Quantum" & the "Cruis'n" series of driving games. Console representation will include designers of the Atari 7800 hardware/launch titles, and Atari 2600 games such as "Kangaroo," “Centipede,” & "Joust."

Moderator:
    Mike Stulir, The American Classic Arcade Museum

Panelists & special guests:
    Steve Golson
    Jonathan Hurd
    Eric Pribyl
    Mike Horowitz
    Kevin Osborn
    Carlos Smith
    Tom Flaherty
    Mike Feinstein
    Betty Tylko
    Josh Littlefield

ACAM – PRESERVING VIDEOGAME HISTORY PANEL
    Sunday, March 24th, 2013
    Sphinx Theatre @ 1:00pm

What happens to the source code, development equipment and historical information from all of those video games from the 1970's & 1980's? Why is that historical material important to museum facilities and current/future generations of game developers? The American Classic Arcade Museum and our guest panelists will answer those questions, and describe the importance, value and methodology of preserving video game history.

Moderator:
    Mike Stulir, The American Classic Arcade Museum

Panelists:
    Gary Vincent: President, The American Classic Arcade Museum
    John Andersen: Gaming historian and freelance author
    Joey DeSena: Co-host of Retroware TV series "The Video Game Years"
    Jonathan Ferguson: Instructor in Game Design and Production for The Game Studio at Champlain College

• TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Wired has some planned, With this one I can't wait to see what they estimate some of people's games.
    Saturday, March 23, 8:30 p.m. — Retrogame Roadshow (Naga): Are Your Old Games Buried Treasure?! Immediately following 404′ing It, stay nearby the Naga theater so you can see the big show, our semi-annual tour of the treasures you find in your closets. Old games can be worth big money, but in this age of counterfeits and inflated prices, it’s tough to know what’s collectible gold and what’s just fools’ gold. Our panel of experts will evaluate your items, telling you why they’re rare (or not!) and guess at a price. If you’d like to bring your items up on stage, email me at wiredkohler@gmail.com and let me know what you’ve got!

Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/retrogame-roadshow-pax-2013/

TechGamingNews on
    DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.
    Yeh!!!!! I love me some Retrogame Roadshow!!!!! It was neat seeing the porn game for the 2600 last year. Can't think of the name. And wasn't a rare 2600 Star Wars game show last year as well???? Hope to see even more this year.....

I've been getting some great questions in my inbox for our ethics and videogames panel - questions about addiction, promotion/sponsorship in games of junk food/sodas/etc., responsibility of social gaming networks to police chat (e.g. XBox Live), children and gaming, and so on - please keep them coming! I think this will be a very thought provoking and hopefully discussion-spawning panel!

• CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Wired has some planned, With this one I can't wait to see what they estimate some of people's games.
    Saturday, March 23, 8:30 p.m. — Retrogame Roadshow (Naga): Are Your Old Games Buried Treasure?! Immediately following 404′ing It, stay nearby the Naga theater so you can see the big show, our semi-annual tour of the treasures you find in your closets. Old games can be worth big money, but in this age of counterfeits and inflated prices, it’s tough to know what’s collectible gold and what’s just fools’ gold. Our panel of experts will evaluate your items, telling you why they’re rare (or not!) and guess at a price. If you’d like to bring your items up on stage, email me at wiredkohler@gmail.com and let me know what you’ve got!

Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/retrogame-roadshow-pax-2013/

Thumbs up for this panel. One of the more interesting and awesome panels I saw last year. If you get a chance to go, you should. One of the attendees last year had one of the three found Earthbound english-translated prototype cartridges. Another guy had Custer's Revenge, to which one of the panelists pulled out an entire box of Custer's Revenge. Just a cool panel.
    Jindrax wrote:
    The (Boston) Indie Life: From Breaking In to Making It w/ Dejobaan Games, Owlchemy Labs, Team Subatomic, Demiurge Studios, @OMGLazerKittens, Seth Sivak and Disruptor Beam

I know most of these guys, they're good people and you should go to their panel. The Boston indie scene is pretty large and well represented at PAX this year.

e2TtnRd.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Harmonix said on their podcast today that they'll have a panel on Friday that will be what they're calling a Behind the music of Rock Band.