As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1/23/13: Yeah, great. Sounds fascinating.

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Graphic Violence
Avengers #3, the new recruits are the exact opposite of Saved by the Bell: the New Class. Plus more foreshadowing:
avengers3a.jpg

avengers3b.jpg

avengers3c.jpg

avengers3d.jpg

Uncanny X-Force #1, his name is Puck and he likes to fu......rnish information to Betsy and Storm. Plus Fantomex goes and makes everything weirder than it should be:
uncannyxforce1a.jpg

uncannyxforce1b.jpg

uncannyxforce1c.jpg

uncannyxforce1d.jpg

TexiKen on

• SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty weird.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    At first, I was weirded out.

BUT ITS FANTOMEX.

Of course he's in love with himself.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I thought Fantomex died in the kid Apocolypse storyline?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

he did!
    then they dumped his body in a cloning machine, the machine got confused by his 3 brains and made a separate body for each one, including a female Fantomex and an evil one that has the sentinel-brain.

comic books!

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Batwoman #16 has the best art. It's like all... mythic panting like splash pages. I hope someone posts some scans. \

And the Fantomex thing is completely in-character.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Young Avengers #1 was so great you guys. I can't believe there isn't an uproar about how SPIDER-MAN* DIES**:
    tCeCs90.jpg

*not really Spider-Man
    **not really dead

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm guessing
    Loki?

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing
    Loki?
    hulkling.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm guessing
    Loki?
    A shape-shifted Hulkling, actually.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Green Lantern #16, Simon and his new green lantern mentor B'DG listen to the message left behind.
    UTRl5Gk.jpg

DDA4ZHt.jpg

woa6wsh.jpg

XRM3zbp.jpg

Uncanny Avengers #3 Havok takes the lead of his team.
    hTKa75j.jpg

aSyNH1H.jpg

jEDO400.jpg

Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #20 Obama sends a whole Navy team to take out a guy, President Cap sends Hawkeye (though maybe he should have sent a team ;) )
    MdZpc0p.jpg

7qCVhro.jpg

XtnCnQG.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Okay, that 'Spider-Man' quip in YA had me seriously cracking up.

H9f4bVe.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fantomex literally cannot love anything more than himself, or believe in anything greater than himself

so that makes a lot of sense

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    holy cow, the last page in Young Avengers

holy cow

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I can't buy it for a couple days, what happens arrrrrrrrrrgh

I'm not telling!

But it's shocking!

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Just read Avengers and Young Avengers.

WTF at the end of YA. good lord.

Avengers 3:
    So apparently there is a translation already for what the created human said. "It's Coming. The White Event. The Builders have abandoned the machine. The machine is broken. The universe is broken. Its Coming. A White Event."

So yeah, New Universe all up in here. Also if you look closely, the energy coming into his forehead is the Nightmask brand from New Universe.

Also, the "One is Death" thing at the end... New Avengers reference perhaps?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers 3:
    So apparently there is a translation already for what the created human said. "It's Coming. The White Event. The Builders have abandoned the machine. The machine is broken. The universe is broken. Its Coming. A White Event."

So yeah, New Universe all up in here. Also if you look closely, the energy coming into his forehead is the Nightmask brand from New Universe.

I think it might be more "the circle continues" type thing
    Nihilo and Abyss were opposites, and Cap and Tony are shown to be the same thing. I just feel so bad for Tony, always getting shit on by other heroes even though he funds them 90% of the time, Greg Land is drawing his book, recovering alcoholic, previous heart problems, give the guy a break.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

he did!
    then they dumped his body in a cloning machine, the machine got confused by his 3 brains and made a separate body for each one, including a female Fantomex and an evil one that has the sentinel-brain.

comic books!

it wasn't the kid apocalypse storyline, that was the very first arc

He was killed by the skinless man at the very start of Final Execution

(and the he got better obviously)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Avengers 3:

I think it might be more "the circle continues" type thing
    Nihilo and Abyss were opposites, and Cap and Tony are shown to be the same thing. I just feel so bad for Tony, always getting shit on by other heroes even though he funds them 90% of the time, Greg Land is drawing his book, recovering alcoholic, previous heart problems, give the guy a break.

It's both
    Hickman has been saying in interviews since the books were announced that the simplest dichotomy to describe the difference between Avengers and New Avengers is that Avengers is about life, and New Avengers is about death. Plus I don't expect Cap to stay with the Illuminati for very long, while obviously Tony is never going to extricate himself from it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman #16, the book is throwing out gods left and right, but this is Milan showing up Daredevil for a bit:
    Milan has no eyes but when he lowers his blindfold he can see everything flies see:

wonderwoman16a.jpg

wonderwoman16b.jpg

wonderwoman16c.jpg

Anyway, the best comic I read this week was FF#3.

It took them a couple issues to hit the same heights, but Fraction and Allred are doing something here that could be just as amazing as Fraction and Aja's work on Hawkeye, if it keeps up the quality from this week.

First, we have the reveal of what actually supposedly killed Reed, Ben, and Sue and chased Johnny through time and space.
    WQgCZWl.jpg
    Q5AT5QJ.jpg

Then, in the best sequence of the book, when Scott goes to convince Darla to come back to the team, we get breathtakingly beautiful art, a wonderful emotional moment, and a mission statement for the book within the span of a few pages.
    RkcfSFO.jpg
    Nfn5Z5k.jpg
    RBAUf78.jpg
    HnBPDCm.jpg
    SzSHy5N.jpg
    QAHdM2D.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I loved that moment. It was like the 'they're going to kiss' then suddenly WAIT WHAT?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Winter Soldier #14 is Brubaker's last marvel comic for the foreseeable future, and it ends in a dark dark place.

Bucky, Cap, Logan, and Clint do eventually manage to rescue Natasha, and even restore her memories to her. With one exception.
    fp61JTB.jpg
    gXleqrq.jpg

Also, on a side note, Butch Guice did the best work of his life on this title. This was one gorgeous book. I hope the new guy dosen't fuck it up too badly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WHAT

NO

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don't understand.

Quire.jpg
    I don't understand.
    She dosen't remember Bucky at all

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wolverine and the X-Men #24

romance is in the air at the Jean Grey school, as the issue ends with not 1, not 2, but 3 kisses before literally jumping right into the big storyline Jason Aaron promised would begin in issue 25.
    jWb1mOt.jpg
    VN1yAbQ.jpg
    rVnEN0o.jpg
    sIHUtGE.jpg
    m1z8ETC.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I NEED TO FIND A REALLY BIG TABLE TO FLIP

THIS IS NOT COOL

wait which thing are you flipping out about in your 2nd post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    still the Winter Soldier thing

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm table flipping that WatXM thing

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about the WatXM thing

but that Winter Soldier thing feels like it's just a few steps away from fridging

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Bale took all three allotted pages for WatXM so I'm just gonna say that Quires speech right before that and his appearance in A+X has endeared me greatly to this character I only know from WatXM.

Loving this jerk.

Quire.jpg
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Can someone clear that Avengers stuff up for me?
    Are they really bringing New Universe stuff in? Because if they are, I will buy all of that series right now. I loved Newuniversal.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Can someone clear that Avengers stuff up for me?
    Are they really bringing New Universe stuff in? Because if they are, I will buy all of that series right now. I loved Newuniversal.

no one has come out and said that yes that is happening but yes it is totally happening

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

but that Winter Soldier thing feels like it's just a few steps away from fridging

what, how is that even the same thing at all

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bale took all three allotted pages for WatXM so I'm just gonna say that Quires speech right before that and his appearance in A+X has endeared me greatly to this character I only know from WatXM.

Loving this jerk.

WatXM is the first time he's been interesting. He was boring as fuck in New X-Men.

Although if you like Quire, the Alpha+Omega miniseries that Brian Wood did last year is pretty great. It's non-essential but it's a fun story about Wolverine and Armor getting trapped inside Quentin's mind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »

what, how is that even the same thing at all

because
    it's a thing done to the female character to give the male character something to brood about

I mean, on a scale of 1 to Alex DeWitt, it's like a negative five, but still

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I have no strong feelings one way or the other about the WatXM thing

The Winter Soldier ending is perfect. It's cruel and horrible, but it's perfect. The whole point of everything Leo was doing was to hurt Bucky, and his success in taking Natasha's memories of Bucky is kind of a needed consequence. It also leaves him in a very dark place that fits the character.

I wouldn't say it's fridging at all. Bad things can happen to female characters without being close to that, and this was handled extremely well. Yes, it's primarily used to hurt Bucky, but it IS his book and the amount their relationship mattered outside of things written by Brubaker was damn near nonexistent...so it's not like it'll harm Natasha's future characterization. But the whole arc felt like it build towards this kind of hollow victory very well, and it's kind of nice to have some real consequences to actions rather than everything being a happy ending, especially for this book.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    yeah I didn't say it is a fridging, but it feels a lot like one

you have to admit "villain hurts people around hero in order to hurt hero" is a pretty tired trope