As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1/23/13: Yeah, great. Sounds fascinating.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    well he also had a lot of history with Tasha herself, it's not like he was just picking a random loved one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    yeah I didn't say it is a fridging, but it feels a lot like one

you have to admit "villain hurts people around hero in order to hurt hero" is a pretty tired trope

It gets done a lot because it works. Like anything, it can be done badly.

Here, though? Definitely handled well. It also fits the theme of this entire arc.

Besides, you could just as easily argue that
    "Everyone lives happily ever after" is just as tired a trope.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    and I mean, besides that even
    I just hate it when happy couples are split up. It bugs the heck out of me.

and I mean, besides that even
    I just hate it when happy couples are split up. It bugs the heck out of me.
    they were together a long time, it's not they didn't get a lot of mileage of them.

Besides, the way it was done it will be perfectly possible for someone else to undo it a year from now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Balefuego wrote: »
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Can someone clear that Avengers stuff up for me?
    Are they really bringing New Universe stuff in? Because if they are, I will buy all of that series right now. I loved Newuniversal.

no one has come out and said that yes that is happening but yes it is totally happening

Very awesome. I couldn't decide on an Avengers series to grab, but that seals it.

As for something relevant, my MOTW is definitely that first splash page in Young Avengers. Apologies for the bad quality.
    YA_zps99dcba2b.jpg

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    if you are gonna read Avengers you probably should read New Avengers along with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    the only thing about YA #1 is that it could've used more Kate

more kate, more loki, and less wiccan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Ok I guess no one else is gonna ask so I'll bite the bullet.

What was your problem with WatXM @antimatter?

Quire.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I like Broo.

I don't think anti is actually angry about what happened she just clearly likes that character (as we all do)

but I mean, this is clearly something Aaron's had planned for awhile.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    if you are gonna read Avengers you probably should read New Avengers along with it.

Crap I think I just went from avoiding anything Avengers to needing to read three of them. Maybe Avengers Assemble too, but I don't know anything about that.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Can someone clear that Avengers stuff up for me?
    Are they really bringing New Universe stuff in? Because if they are, I will buy all of that series right now. I loved Newuniversal.

no one has come out and said that yes that is happening but yes it is totally happening

Very awesome. I couldn't decide on an Avengers series to grab, but that seals it.

As for something relevant, my MOTW is definitely that first splash page in Young Avengers. Apologies for the bad quality.

Actually I'd say the April Avengers 9 solicit is pretty outright.
    "NEW UNIVERSE"
    • Watch as the most dangerous weapon in the Universe is unleashed.
    • Two Universal SYSTEMS collide.
    • What good is a White Event if only leads to the destruction of the planet it was meant to transform?

AVEN2012009_Weaver-cov.jpg

yeah thats definitely Starbrand.

ManetherenWolf on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wolverine and the X-Men #24

romance is in the air at the Jean Grey school, as the issue ends with not 1, not 2, but 3 kisses before literally jumping right into the big storyline Jason Aaron promised would begin in issue 25.
    jWb1mOt.jpg
    VN1yAbQ.jpg
    rVnEN0o.jpg
    sIHUtGE.jpg
    m1z8ETC.jpg

Who's the ones kissing inthe second panel?

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So
    The universe collide thing is gonna happen and that universe will be the "New Universe"?

Quire.jpg
    Avengers Assemble is a fun superhero book but thats all it is, a fun superhero book.

Avengers and New Avengers are both written by Hickman and are intrinsically linked, Hickman's said that they both tell the same story but from two different sides.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wolverine and the X-Men #24

romance is in the air at the Jean Grey school, as the issue ends with not 1, not 2, but 3 kisses before literally jumping right into the big storyline Jason Aaron promised would begin in issue 25.
    jWb1mOt.jpg
    VN1yAbQ.jpg
    rVnEN0o.jpg
    sIHUtGE.jpg
    m1z8ETC.jpg

Who's the ones kissing inthe second panel?
    Kitty and Bobby

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I have no strong feelings one way or the other about the WatXM thing

but that Winter Soldier thing feels like it's just a few steps away from fridging

Eh,
    Black Widow is walking away essentially fine; and as Bucky points out, she's better off than he is.

one thought about WatXM
    it does kinda seem like Storm is not so much attracted to Wolverine as she is wanting to blow off steam and maybe acting out of frustration with T'Challa.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Young Avengers was great

but I do hope this doesn't become the "Wiccan is a huge chump with some friends" show

because seriously Wiccan is really annoying

one thought about WatXM
    it does kinda seem like Storm is not so much attracted to Wolverine as she is wanting to blow off steam and maybe acting out of frustration with T'Challa.
    she is attracted to him, as it's noted in the issue the 2 of them have romantic history. But yes there is still the sense that she is acting out a bit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Young Avengers was great

but I do hope this doesn't become the "Wiccan is a huge chump with some friends" show

because seriously Wiccan is really annoying

Gillen's said t hat's what the first arc is about but not the whole book

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I love FF #3, but the real Dr Doom would never allow himself to be sullied by time traveler/ negative zone trash.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I'm potentially worried about Fraction's voice for Doom

I love FF #3, but the real Dr Doom would never allow himself to be sullied by time traveler/ negative zone trash.

I think it's clear from the context that not all is as it seems.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    for one, they are dealing with one hell of an unreliable narrator

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    But man, FF was so good. So many WHAT!?!? moments.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    I'm potentially worried about Fraction's voice for Doom
    Fraction wrote the Stilt-Man funeral issue of Punisher.

His Doom is gonna be fine.

CYpGAPn.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The hell? First Ronin and Crystal and now
    Bucky and Natasha?

Damnit Marvel let people be happy sometimes.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Don't forget Scott and Emma.

One positive thing to take away from Winter Soldier is that
    DD and Widow can be OTP again hooray!

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Weaver wrote: »
    Bucky and Natasha?

Well of course they had to break up Ronin and Crystal.
    Necrophilia is highly frowned upon and the corpse of Maya Lopez was starting to get pretty stinky.

Alternative answer
    Clint's too busy to be in a relationship right now. He's got, like, the whole season of Dog Cops to watch still!

Elderlycrawfish on
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Don't forget Scott and Emma.

One positive thing to take away from Winter Soldier is that
    DD and Widow can be OTP again hooray!
    I have a feeling that they might be angling to get her and Hawkeye together. Of course, first they have to break up Hawkeye and Spider-Woman, but that relationship is dumb anyway.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Good point, it would kinda suck though
    Hawkeye and Widow hasn't been a thing for decades (and those early issues clearly showed she was using Clint), and seems more like something the movie will force on them being the most "normal" heroes.

Hawkeye and Moonstone, DD and Widow, meant 2 B.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Bucky and Natasha?

Well of course they had to break up Ronin and Crystal.
    Necrophilia is highly frowned upon and the corpse of Maya Lopez was starting to get pretty stinky.

Alternative answer
    Clint's too busy to be in a relationship right now. He's got, like, the whole season of Dog Cops to watch still!

Whoops, Ronan, not Ronin, Clints old superhero name. The Accuser, of the Kree, and Crystal of the inhumans.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular

Crap I think I just went from avoiding anything Avengers to needing to read three of them. Maybe Avengers Assemble too, but I don't know anything about that.

If you want a fourth Avengers book I'd recommend Uncanny over Assemble

Red Skull with Xavier's brain is really cool and kinda scary

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Assemble is really fun, but it's a pretty light read for a 3.99 book.

As an aside, I hope they have a letters page in Assemble soon. I love letters pages.

• Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Having only recently jumped onboard with newer, current Marvel comics, I'm hoping someone can clear something up for me with Avengers:
    Who was the chick with the afro (I'm guessing it's not Misty Knight) that made Ex Nihilo and crew back down? Is she new or is she an existing character?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Captain Universe.

Its a cosmic-type force called the Uni-Power that tends to inhabit a host during times of crisis. The lady is just the current host, and I'm assuming we'll have a back story issue later on.

Having only recently jumped onboard with newer, current Marvel comics, I'm hoping someone can clear something up for me with Avengers:
    Who was the chick with the afro (I'm guessing it's not Misty Knight) that made Ex Nihilo and crew back down? Is she new or is she an existing character?
    The character herself is new, but her superpowers are called the Uni-Power, an enigmatic force in the Marvel Universe that basically empowers random people in times of great need. When empowered, these people are called Captain Universe. I'd be willing to bet that this will all be explained for new readers eventually, though.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    FUCKYEAH MOHAWK STORM IS BACK!