As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mechwarrior Online: THIS IS THE OLD THREAD. GO AWAY!

TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailorSeattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
edited March 2013 in Games and Technology
Our Anthem

logojy.png

Join the Steam Penny Arcade MechWarriors Group for hot 'Mech wang action!
Behold the official Oosik Irregulars Online Mechlab!
Submit your mech builds here!

Browse submitted mech builds!
Join the PA vent to play with fine people of discerning taste!

host: vent20.gameservers.com
port: 4384
password: you should probably know already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZyo4ZBjotc

Inner Sphere News, the twitter feed for all your official MechWarrior needs

Welcome pilot to the new Mechwarrior Online OP. I understand that while some of you are seasoned veterans who know better, a decent lot of you think a futuristic, sci-fi, guided missile should be able to go further than a kilometer. Well rookie, I'm glad you're here because in this thread, common sense is lostech.

What is Mechwarrior Online?
Mechwarrior Online is a free to play, PC based, online shooter produced by Piranha Games Interactive. MWO places you in the command seat of a heavily armed and armored walking battle machine that you pilot in team based matches against other Mechwarriors. At the end of each match you earn C-Bills, the in game currency that is used to buy more items and mechs, and experience that is used to enhance your piloting abilities of your mech. Between matches, you can customize your mech with a variety of engines, weapons, subsystem modules, and chassis enancements until you have your chosen mech tailored to your liking.
There are two game modes currently; Assault and Conquest. In Assault, you and your team attempt to either capture the enemy team's base without losing your own base, or eliminate the enemy team. Conquest is a traditional domination mode where you and your team are attempting to reach the point total first or eliminate the enemy team. Later in the year, Community Warfare will be introduced that will pit player based Merc Corps and PGI operated houses against each other for control of entire planets. We don't have much information about the Warfare mode yet, but the op will be updated with it as we find out more.

What about that old Mechwarrior Reboot trailer?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzge4Wc3zfw
Basically this:
The initial incarnation of Piranha Games' MechWarrior reboot, which was revealed yesterday to have become the free-to-play PC exclusive MechWarrior Online, was stymied by "a Microsoft restriction" blocking a PlayStation 3 edition. This, according to Piranha, played a big part in publishers not wanting to pick the game up.
If you'd like to know more, Shacknews has the whole story: http://www.shacknews.com/article/70879/mechwarrior-reboot-was-derailed-by-microsoft-blocking-ps3

I played MechAssault for the Xbox and it was boring. Why should I care about this?
Yo fuck MechAssault. No, really. That game was a bastardization of Mechwarrior that turned a quality series into a trashy arcade experience that changed a lot about the setting's mechanics for the worse. MechWarrior is a venerable PC franchise that dates back to 1989's Mechwarrior 1 which was based on the even older pen and paper wargame Battletech. Each game in the series was at the cutting edge of technology when it was released and each game has received massive amounts of praise for having fantastic gameplay and surprisingly quality plots. If you'd like to try out one of the older games Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries is FREE TO DOWNLOAD FOR EVERYONE! It's not a bad idea to play it at least a little bit before jumping into MWO so that you can get the hang of things against an AI before throwing down against real people.
mechwarrior3_banner.png
The New Player's Guide to Getting Started in MWO
1.) Download the client at http://www.mwomercs.com and install it.
2.) Before launching the game, click the "Visit Training Grounds" butting in the top right corner of the launcher. Watch those videos to get at least an initial grasp of what to expect. This game has a bit of a learning curve to it and while it's not super steep, it's definitely not just a jump in and click things until you win sort game. Be sure to watch the Weapon Grouping video as it'll do the most to help keep you alive. Chain fire is god.
2a.) http://mwomercs.com/pennyarcade Penny Arcade also did some Pilot Safety Posters and while they're humorous, they do have some good information in them.
3.) When you start the game you will have access to four trial mechs that rotate out for new mechs every couple of weeks or so. These are non-customizable mechs with set loadouts based on their canon setups. After twentyfive matches you will have earned an extra 8 million C-Bills on top of your winnings and will easily be able to afford a proper mech of your own. When choosing a trial mech to start with, you will want to avoid the assault mechs at first because of the four, they're the hardest to drive. Their slow speed and tendency to get primaried instantly by the enemy team means tactics are paramount and for a rookie player they're kind of a death trap despite being the most heavily armed and armored.
4.) After each match you will earn some C-Bills, pilot xp, and general xp. C-Bills are the in game currency used to buy everything except cosmetic items. Pilot XP is specific to the mech you earned it on and is used to by piloting enhancements like faster torso rotation or faster turning. To unlock elite skills you will need to get all of the basic skills for at least three variants of a specific chassis. General XP can be used on any mech and is also used to unlock modules. Pilot XP can be converted into General XP by spending Mech Credits.
5.) Mech Credits (MC) are the in game currency that you purchase with real money in order to shortcut your way to a new mech. MC is also used to purchase premium account status and cosmetic items for your mech like new paint jobs and items to put in your cockpit like bobblehead dolls. MC CANNOT be converted into C-Bills or XP meaning everyone has to earn their arms and armor equally the same.
mechwarrior-online-banner.jpg
Additional Links and Info
MWOOSK! The official Oosik Irregulars Online Mechlab!
Submit your mech builds here and browse other people's creations!
http://mwowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page - Tons of useful information about most of the game's assets.
MW:O user Ohmwrecker's master list of all the information you're curious about (this will probably answer 99% of your questions once you understand how to read it)
Not happy with your framerate or graphics quality? Here are some tweaks and work-arounds you can try
List of confirmed battlemechs, with hardpoint layouts for each variant (Updated to include all playable variants)

Having technical issues? Try these things out!
1. A reinstall can do wonders if you're having problems with the bootstrap launcher (the patcher thing that pops up before you get the login window). Sometimes the uninstall goes wrong (because of course), so go here if it won't reinstall.

2. Try manually deleting the shader cache (MWO should do this automatically, but sometimes fails and it gets corrupted). The post in the link also gives steps to set up a batch script to force the deletion each time MWO loads.

3. This is a weird fix, but some people found that moving the install directory to another physical drive solves crashes. Literally cut/paste the directory and update shortcuts manually. Not sure if moving to another partition on the same drive helps.

4. Force your video card to stop power-save throttling and disable ambient occlusion. If ambient occlusion is listed "unsupported" for Nvidia cards, try this sub-post to import a fixed game profile for the control panel.

5. Force multi-threading, in case the game isn't using all available cores.

Hey I want one of those swanky Oosik Irregulars sigs! How do I get one?
PM @TOGSolid
mwo.jpg
I Just Can't Get Enough Mech Stuff!

MechCommander
MechCommander and MechCommander 2 are free. They're pretty fun; you basically load out your 'mechs and command them in battle. They're pretty good recreations of the MechWarrior games, actually. Certainly worth a look if you enjoy strategy and mechs.

MechWarrior 4
MechWarrior 4 is free too. MekTek, which released tons of awesome mech "paks" and stuff for the game, has been given the rights to release it because Will Vanu loves MechWarrior and is smiling on us fans or something. The free version comes with MekPak 3.1 which adds even more stuff and adds the new 'mechs into single player. This is probably the best MechWarrior single player experience right now.

MechWarrior: Living Legends
Living Legends is a kickass Crysis Wars MechWarrior mod. It's almost professional quality. The graphics are stupendous and they've done more than just add 'mechs: you get a bunch of the air vehicles and ground vehicles, too, plus Elementals if you're silly enough NOT to want to pilot a giant walking tank. The mod is multiplayer only and it even has Solaris arena matches in there. Definitely check this out if you have Crysis Wars, because it's free (as long as you own Crysis Wars, duh). Here is the Penny Arcade forum thread for this game.
UPDATE: This mod is no longer being developed but is still available to play.

MechWarrior 2
MechWarrior 2 is not free but if you own a copy already (like, say, MW2: Mercenaries woooo) you can get it running on Windows XP (and Vista and 7?) with MechVM. Install MechVM, put your CD in, and tell MechVM to install from the CD. Bada-bing, it runs fine. An alternative is to use MW2hook which works pretty well but is a bit of work to figure out.

MechWarrior 3
MechWarrior3.org should have everything you need to get up and running.
MUbLe.jpg
Odds and Ends
xlarge.jpg

XVejz.gif

Some of this OP was shamelessly copied from the old one @TychoCelchuuu wrote.

wWuzwvJ.png
TOGSolid on

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Awww yeah, new thread smell. And quoting this from the last thread:
    Just ran a few matches with my Jenner, which I haven't touched since the first week of going public.

Three kills on the last match, two of which were lights and one died from getting plugged by an aimed SRM4 shot instead of just guessing. Third kill was a SRMapault that kicked the shit out of me before combined fire brought it down.

I know it's weird, but I'm just as happy about the fact that the SRM Cat almost killed me as I am about killing two other lights with zero streak usage and without getting an anuerysm for my efforts. It's a whole new/old ballgame out there.
    Not for bragging, but so people know that streak-laden ECM lights are not the only game in town any more when it comes to little fast-movers. Out of 4-5 games in a Founders Jenner, I killed at least 2 mechs every game except for one, and at least one of those mechs was another light.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    My Jenner can not wait to chomp on some Ravens. And Commandos.

And the MWO forums don't seem to be drowning under the force of a thousand complaints, so yeah. Well done, PGI.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It'll probably take a while for the Streakmando and ECM Raven pilots to realize the balls have been cut off of their usual shenanigans. Plus lots of "how the hell did that guy hit me? I'm in a LIGHT!"

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Also, sounds like I wont feel useless running my six mlaser cicada because it doesnt have ecm

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    i need to learn not to suck in lights. i tend to run in and get my ass shot off.

kx3klFE.png
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Oh man, ACs actually connect with lights now!

8R7BtLw.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    looks like baby duty may be over soon. spending the time kitting out all my guys that need exp ground out.

oh... and Solaris has frozen over, i sold a mech! the COM-1B... and only because i couldnt fit the Deaths Knell next to the other 3 commandos in the bay.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm currently rewriting the op since it's a bit dated at this point.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6as8oVcuM

If anyone has anything they feel should get added while I'm busy typing away at it, lemme know.

wWuzwvJ.png
    In other news, pubbies still stupid. Long range fight with all of three lrm5 on our team against at least two dedicated lrm A1's.

And we win.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »
    Oh man, ACs actually connect with lights now!

the tears and lamentations of mechkiddies sustains me. OP just gets rebuked by lots of experienced players.
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/93331-future-role-of-light-mechs/

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Something mentioning the Oosik mech lab would probably be a good idea.

• VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @TOGsolid I don't think Ohm's is the one connected to http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ is it? I'd put Smurfy in the helpful links, since I use it pretty much every day. Mention that you can access the mechlab sim by clicking on a variant name, because it's not well advertised, for some reason.

Edit: Thanks for keeping up this thread, seriously. I would have been all "fuck this game so much" long ago without PA people to help rise above the pubbies.

VedicIntent on
    VT09mOz.png
    edited January 2013
    @TOGsolid I don't think Ohm's is the one connected to http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ is it? I'd put Smurfy in the helpful links, since I use it pretty much every day. Mention that you can access the mechlab sim by clicking on a variant name, because it's not well advertised, for some reason.
    I'll link it for now, but it'll definitely get replaced once http://theoosiks.com/ fully launches because fuck the competition. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    http://mechromancer.wordoflowtax.com/ this is actually a pretty robust mechlab that the SA goons came up with.

OP updated! Feedback is always helpful!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "Engine Speed by 'mech weight" under "Additional Links and info" no longer accurately reflects engine caps, and is also posted twice.

e: "How many Cbills/MC does (insert 'mech here) cost?" in the same section is also out of date, and the mwowiki has prices in Cbills and MC listed under each chassis.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Thanks Tox, updated the OP.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited January 2013
    Man, lag armor habits are pretty hard to break. I can use my Sprinturion more or less the same and it's somewhat more reasonable now (though still hugely effective), but I've really got to get it through my head that I should not be going 2-on-1 with other lights. I can do that with the Sprinturion, but better weapons cut both ways, and two lights to my one means they down me faster than I will them.

Anyway. Was chasing a Streakmando earlier all over the place and dealing some damage. Dude sees me still on his ass after a minute of chasing, so he comes to a dead stop. This is actually not a bad idea; I'll do it myself around blind corners, sort of like how fighter pilots will dump airspeed to try and get an attacker to zip on by them. 99% of the time, it works and I end up the attacker instead of the defender. Unfortunately, since I use the move all the time, I knew what the guy was doing. Slammed on the brakes and ended up at a dead stop with the Commando's head about 5 feet away and belly-high, with him looking right at me. Surprisingly, he managed to survive the alpha strike, though at the cost of all his weapons. He managed to slip away under cover of his exploding cloud of debris, but a few seconds of chasing and a quarter-second touch of one MLAS put him down.

Also, jumpjets need to be a helluva lot punchier. Their vertical lift is basically nonexistent now. PGI really needs to change them so that they've got a much, much higher impulse and the extra jumpjets basically gives you that high-impulse "leap" for longer to climb higher. This stuff with hitting the jumpjets and it taking five second to climb 20 feet is just silly; about all they're good for right now aside from 180s is jamming your face into a hillside and "climbing" sheer surfaces using the jets.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    So, I bought a deaths knell and this is my first experience playing a light. I had a good first outing dealing 273 dmg with the default load out. My question is being a heavy and assault only player since closed beta what tweeks should I do on this chassis?

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    They should essentially copy how JJ's work in Living legends, they give a lot of horizontal and some vertical thrust over a very short period, makes you extremely mobile and wishing more mechs had JJ's.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm still trying to figure out the place of the Spider. I mean, I just had a match where it was a 2-on-1 scenario where there were two Spiders (one was a custom job) versus my one founder's Jenner. Granted, I stripped down the weapons to two MLas, a TAG laser, and two SSRMs to make room for maxing out the armor...but if two counter-rotating circle-strafing Spiders can't down my wee little Jenner (even after I had an overheat shutdown (I was being stupid and firing off my lasers in addition to the linked SSRMs)), there's gotta be something wrong with their build or mech or something.

However, me eating a Phract when I was just trying to be a diversion by capping the enemy base during an Assault match...well, that was just the icing on this evening's gaming cake.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    a lot of it may just be that you are a decent light jock, and the others are not, erl.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hmm...perhaps. I guess there are some benefits to accepting that I'm a dead-mech walking...and that the best way to serve my team is to be the biggest, and most annoying, distraction on the battlefield.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hey! Can I shoot mechs alongside you PA mans? All I'm doing currently is blowing up.
    [edit]
    Xaviar21 in game..

Xaviar on
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the place of the Spider. I mean, I just had a match where it was a 2-on-1 scenario where there were two Spiders (one was a custom job) versus my one founder's Jenner. Granted, I stripped down the weapons to two MLas, a TAG laser, and two SSRMs to make room for maxing out the armor...but if two counter-rotating circle-strafing Spiders can't down my wee little Jenner (even after I had an overheat shutdown (I was being stupid and firing off my lasers in addition to the linked SSRMs)), there's gotta be something wrong with their build or mech or something.

However, me eating a Phract when I was just trying to be a diversion by capping the enemy base during an Assault match...well, that was just the icing on this evening's gaming cake.

Their aim and weapons could have something to do with them not killing you, but the spider can't really come into its role with the speed end engine caps in the game, as well as shitty jump jets.

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    God dammit, my FPS has never been worse. They need to get on the optimization right fucking now.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I still need an Oosik signature :<

Also, going to finally get back into this after my respite during the Steam sale. Looking forward to being able to hit light mechs :>

Stabbity_Style.png
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Hey! Can I shoot mechs alongside you PA mans? All I'm doing currently is blowing up.
    [edit]
    Xaviar21 in game..

Jump on Vent. It's the easiest way to find people, and the in-game group communication tools are crap. There's a learning curve to MWO, but having a thinking team makes it a lot easier to manage.

VT09mOz.png
    By the way, anyone still having issues with SRMs not doing their damage properly? Apparently there were issues with how internal damage was applied in rear torso hits and when you shoot "through" a dead arm/side torso into the CT (lasers are affected too):
    Rear Components Damage Transfer Bug [IN PROGRESS]

BUG : When rear armor is gone, less damage than should be would be transferred to the front components. And if Arms and side torsos were already destroyed less of the damage that hit the destroyed component locations would transfer into the center torso.

NOTES : Thanks to the community (http://mwomercs.com/...w-in-this-patch) we were able to track down a pretty major issue. Less damage was being taken in the back essentially what this works out to with explosive weapons. And too much with lasers. We were able to fix the bug quickly once we found it, but it will take a while to see if our weapon balancing was based on bad results.

Also this issue has been there since the damage systems initial development.

VT09mOz.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Guys, I'm drunk at work because everytime someone says lag-armor in this thread, I take a shot.

Maybe I can ask Geth to ban lag armor, so that I can live a sober life.

Real post: That start-up sequence is HOT! I know it's asking a lot, but I hope they add an animation of my mech actually dropping in at some point. That would just give me the tickles every time.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    By the way, anyone still having issues with SRMs not doing their damage properly? Apparently there were issues with how internal damage was applied in rear torso hits and when you shoot "through" a dead arm/side torso into the CT (lasers are affected too):

BUG : When rear armor is gone, less damage than should be would be transferred to the front components. And if Arms and side torsos were already destroyed less of the damage that hit the destroyed component locations would transfer into the center torso.

NOTES : Thanks to the community (http://mwomercs.com/...w-in-this-patch) we were able to track down a pretty major issue. Less damage was being taken in the back essentially what this works out to with explosive weapons. And too much with lasers. We were able to fix the bug quickly once we found it, but it will take a while to see if our weapon balancing was based on bad results.

Man, makes you wonder what kind of testing they have going on and what kind of data feeds they have.

Stabbity_Style.png

Man, makes you wonder what kind of testing they have going on and what kind of data feeds they have.

The thread he quotes is pretty awesome. The dev comments in a "SRMs are being weird" thread to clarify how explosive damage works and says there might be an issue. He tests by shooting an Atlas in the back at different ranges (posts his results), agrees something's off, and then fixes it. BOOM. Unicorn Moment.

He has damage feeds since he knew how many missiles hit, but his assessment was "It should take me x alphas to blow up the Atlas, but it took 5x. This is wrong."

VT09mOz.png
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    LAst night I was running a couple games and in my first I was like"WTF is my pilot doing he's looking around the cockpi- Oh... OHHH YEAH"

All systems are nominal. So nice!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So does this mean Hunchbacks and Centurions will no longer be able to eat 3-4 alphas to the back from my Stalker?

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    I had an ECM Raven circle-hugging my Stalker last night. I fired a 6xMLas volley while it was moving laterally in front of me, with my crosshairs directly over one of its legs, and the leg asploded.

Feels good, man.

Also, it probably bears mentioning that out of the dozen or so matches I played post-patch yesterday, I could count the number of non-trial-Spider lights on the fingers of one hand.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Guys, I'm drunk at work because everytime someone says lag-armor in this thread, I take a shot.

Maybe I can ask Geth to ban lag armor, so that I can live a sober life.

Real post: That start-up sequence is HOT! I know it's asking a lot, but I hope they add an animation of my mech actually dropping in at some point. That would just give me the tickles every time.

Lag armour, lag armour, lag armour!

So if it's true that SRMs are bugged at the moment, then I'm going to have such a ridiculously jolly time when they're fixed. The thought of sextuple SRM Kitties becomes even more terrifying though.

My solution for SRM Cats? Take a fast mech with medium lasers, put the cat in my sights, and go full reverse throttle. It's silly, but it's effective for showing the guy his one trick pony needs to learn a new trick.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    No more Lag Armor? Sounds like I'm playin' some MW:O tonight!

Oh Happy Stompy Day!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Maybe fixing the lag shield is the shot in the arm my relationship with MWO needs. Playing an Awesome, even my Reaper Atlas because I am awful, has not been fun because of it.

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Cool. Im glad they fixed the stuff. I may find some time to join you guys after 8 :D

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99