As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A boy's best friend is his [Film Thread]

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    That's a problem with a lot of games that look like they would work as movies, 90% of them are derivative of various films.

Resident Evil is totally Romero and you make that into a film and look what you get.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Most films are derivative of other films. Good games realize this and it works to their favor (dead space took the set design of Event Horizon, and mixed it with the gross out body horror of the thing), so I don't see why this can't be worked into a movie.

The hard part would be either making the first film very dialogue sparse since Isaac never talks in Dead Space. Well that and they wouldn't use Gunnar as the actor for Isaac even though he totally should be, and is an actor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    i dont think we'll ever see a good video game movie until there is a director who knows what the fuck they are doing with both mediums and grew up with games the same way we get decent comic book movies now.

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    That's a problem with a lot of games that look like they would work as movies, 90% of them are derivative of various films.

Resident Evil is totally Romero and you make that into a film and look what you get.

Eh, I hear that a lot, and I really don't understand it. The first game had shuffling zombies, and prominently featured a house, which at this point is about as Romero as having a black guy in your cast. The game was basically a real-time detective story with some claustrophobic / zombie horror elements. I don't think we've got precisely that movie, but I'd still be first in line for it.

The movie we got was basically a really bad Aliens rehash.

• Options
    i dont think we'll ever see a good video game movie until there is a director who knows what the fuck they are doing with both mediums and grew up with games the same way we get decent comic book movies now.

We need Karl Urban to start directing! Apparently he's a big gamer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Most films are derivative of other films. Good games realize this and it works to their favor (dead space took the set design of Event Horizon, and mixed it with the gross out body horror of the thing), so I don't see why this can't be worked into a movie.

The hard part would be either making the first film very dialogue sparse since Isaac never talks in Dead Space. Well that and they wouldn't use Gunnar as the actor for Isaac even though he totally should be, and is an actor.

The silent protagonist is kindof a big hurdle for a lot of game-to-movie translations, since it basically makes the protagonist a non-character; good for games, bad for movies.

From what I've seen, the protagonist in Bioshock Infinite seems to have a decent amount of dialogue; i wouldn't sneeze at a decently made movie of that setting.

• Options
    Well they wouldn't neccessarily have to keep Isaac silent for a Dead Space movie, Dead Space 2 already gave him a voice and he was a superior character because of it.

Honestly I'm really tepid at a Bioshock movie, like I enjoy the game less and less the more time goes on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2013

this what they all say and then it turns out all they ever did was play halo start to end or some other popular shit.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Well they wouldn't neccessarily have to keep Isaac silent for a Dead Space movie, Dead Space 2 already gave him a voice and he was a superior character because of it.

Honestly I'm really tepid at a Bioshock movie, like I enjoy the game less and less the more time goes on.

Well, the original Bioshock narrative makes use of the medium in a way that would almost definitely be lost in a direct translation movie, so I agree on that point. The setting is very cool, so maybe a prequel movie or something would be better, but the actual plot of Bioshock 1 wouldn't really work as a movie.

I don't know anything about the plot or structure of Bioshock Infinite though, so I'll withhold judgment there.

• Options
    Edd wrote: »

Eh, I hear that a lot, and I really don't understand it. The first game had shuffling zombies, and prominently featured a house, which at this point is about as Romero as having a black guy in your cast. The game was basically a real-time detective story with some claustrophobic / zombie horror elements. I don't think we've got precisely that movie, but I'd still be first in line for it.

tons and tons of pieces lifted from various zombies movies, the cop in re2 coming back to life, granted its all rote shit.

the thing that annoys me most about the re movies is w.s anderson, he goes on about how he knows what the fans want from the games and proceeds to shit all over it and not really understand storytelling. then again this is resident evil we are talking about, its not the games were shakespear.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

They would have to do something to the narrative to give it some meaning. The Objectivist bent the game kept alluding to was fine as a pastiche, but the story never really gives it any meaning beyond a set-dressing.

I had hope when Gore Verbinski had the project; it would have at least looked amazing, but he was adamant that the film have an R-rating, and I never could figure that out. It's just not that scary or graphic.

Atomika on
  • Options

this what they all say and then it turns out all they ever did was play halo start to end or some other popular shit.

Ehh I dunno he apparently signed on to be in the abysmal doom movie because he likes games. Thats dedication man.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Edd wrote: »

tons and tons of pieces lifted from various zombies movies, the cop in re2 coming back to life, granted its all rote shit.

the thing that annoys me most about the re movies is w.s anderson, he goes on about how he knows what the fans want from the games and proceeds to shit all over it and not really understand storytelling. then again this is resident evil we are talking about, its not the games were shakespear.

Paul W.S. Anderson always says that about everything.

I remember back during the AvP days, he was all, "This is THE movie fans have been waiting for!"

Apparently he thought fans wanted dull PG-13 retcons.

• Options

They would have to do something to the narrative to give it some meaning. The Objectivist bent the game kept alluding to was fine as a pastiche, but the story never really gives it any meaning beyond a set-dressing.

I had hope when Gore Verbinski had the project; it would have at least looked amazing, but he was adamant that the film have an R-rating, and I never could figure that out. It's just not that scary or graphic.

There was some pretty effed up body horror stuff in there, with Cohen and the plastic surgeon.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

My point was that simply reproducing those elements that inspired Dead Space would be unlikely to result in a good film, especially if such a project failed to look beyond those derived qualities.

Considering the progress the gaming industry has made in conveying a cinematic presentation in its big budget titles, I wouldn't want a film adaptation that was just a life-action reproduction of the cut scenes strung together. (I'm not trying to imply that's what anyone wants.) I would want a film that takes the source material and turns it into content appropriately suited to the medium and trying to make an honest attempt at creating something new.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Superior only by default. Without a voice he was YOU, not a character, and the game and it's immersive factor was superior for it which I much prefer over story.

• Options
    I don't like silent protagnoists, especially since the whole "its you" thing is lost when the character is distinctly masculine, which means for women its not you at all.

Hell shepard is voiced the whole series and people claim him/her all the time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    i get in touch with my feminine side when i play as haleshep.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Dead Space would be a great movie, but only if they hewed closely to the anti-religious allegory.

Horror movies always work so much better when there's a point to them. Otherwise, it's yet another "maniacs want to turn people into zombies" story that the Japanese so dearly love for some inexplicable reason.

I wonder if that rumor about Tom Cruise trying to distance himself from Scientology is true. If it is, someone should convince him that starring in a movie where the villains are "Scientologists in space" is a great way to do that.

Then we would get some spectacular scenes of Isaac running away from necromorphs.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Dead Space would be tranformed into some PG13 Scifi Romance, starring some CW cardboard cut out. Fuck that.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Dead Space would be tranformed into some PG13 Scifi Romance, starring some CW cardboard cut out. Fuck that.

Man don't insult some of the CW's leading men like that, the abs that plays arrow are really hard.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Dead Space would be a great movie, but only if they hewed closely to the anti-religious allegory.

Horror movies always work so much better when there's a point to them. Otherwise, it's yet another "maniacs want to turn people into zombies" story that the Japanese so dearly love for some inexplicable reason.

I wonder if that rumor about Tom Cruise trying to distance himself from Scientology is true. If it is, someone should convince him that starring in a movie where the villains are "Scientologists in space" is a great way to do that.

Then we would get some spectacular scenes of Isaac running away from necromorphs.

I think Dead Space would be pretty easy to adapt; make it incredibly dark, claustrophobic, and tense. It wouldn't have to be a direct translation, but the aesthetic is easy enough to copy. Pandorum did it pretty effectively before going off the rails, so much so that when I saw the trailer for Pandorum without sound, I thought it was a Dead Space feature film.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    The lack of a strong characterization (or ability to expand your characterization) ruined Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur for me.

Hooray! I'm a paper doll! Dress me up and put me in your castles!

• Options

I've finished the trilogy with Paragon HaleShep, and I'm starting from the beginning with MeerShep, and Christ, he's so terrible.

• Options
    The lack of a strong characterization (or ability to expand your characterization) ruined Skyrim and Kingdom of Amalur for me.

Hooray! I'm a paper doll! Dress me up and put me in your castles!

Seriously, I stopped playing KoA like halfway because I just lost interest entirely.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Man don't insult some of the CW's leading men like that, the abs that plays arrow are really hard.

If Issac takes off his suit, he dies.

I don't know if thats true, I don't remember. But by God I'll find some way of making it true in the script.

• Options
    Well the DS game has a lot of air less areas, BUT the first section of DS2 has you suitless...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    DanWeino wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh

Personally, I think that would have been much more satisfying of Aragorn's arc than the Dimholt army's assistance, but the powers that be felt that the Dead looked a lot cooler and would be a bigger crowdpleaser.

Same, when I saw it the first time it just looked silly and ruined any tension. There could of been a million orcs and it wouldn't have mattered. Either make it so the ghosts could be vanquished somehow, and it actually became a fight, or not have so many of them so the battle wasn't over in seconds. It made the whole battle kind of pointless.

It also raises the never-answered question of why Aragorn didn't just suck up his pride and call the army to his side before it ever got that far.

Much of LOTR, plotwise, is predicated on Aragorn being kind of a coward in regards to his ancestry and duties as High King. If he would have just taken Anduril to the Dimholt, gotten their support, gone around to Rohan and Gondor and given them a, "Hey, I'm king now, so let's go clear out all of Mordor until nothing is left except greasy brown patches in the grass," speech years ago, shit wouldn't have had to come to all the walking and ring bearing.

He thought Gondor was ruled by someone who was a) good at it and b) wanted the job and it turned out only one of those things was true.

• Options
    Seriously, I stopped playing KoA like halfway because I just lost interest entirely.

The fact that someone invented a game that could conceivably last for 120+ hours was infinitely intriguing, especially considering that the combat is actually pretty fun.

But goddamn if that game isn't just an endless, soulless fetchquest.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever really wanted a video game movie. It goes against everything I like about video games and everything I like about movies. I play games to play games, I watch movies to watch movies. That's one of the reasons I hate modern set-piece heavy fps games and have always been more into mechanics than strict gameplay-- I would rather play a game with an awful story and good mechanics than a game with a good story and awful mechanics, probably why I prefer fighting games, Quake, and other competitive multiplayer games to story heavy modern stuff. I can't really imagine a video game movie that would be so successful at translating the game part of the video game experience that I wouldn't be sitting there the whole time wishing I could play the game instead of watching the movie, and I've never seen a video game with a story that was worth retelling in a movie format.

Kind of like how I've always been sour on based a true story movies, since they almost always have to sacrifice realism for narrative, and narrative for realism. If I want a true story I have no problem watching a documentary. Of course, there's also the sub-genre of true story sports movies that somehow manage to be even more cliched than purely fictional sports movies, which boggles my mind.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Well the DS game has a lot of air less areas, BUT the first section of DS2 has you suitless...

We'll address that in the sequel.

Which there won't be.

Because they'll screw up the first movie.

• Options

The fact that someone invented a game that could conceivably last for 120+ hours was infinitely intriguing, especially considering that the combat is actually pretty fun.

Seriously, and the fact that some sections level with you, and some don't, kills the fuck out of you wanting to do any of those fetch quests. FUCK YOU KURT SCHILLING!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh

Personally, I think that would have been much more satisfying of Aragorn's arc than the Dimholt army's assistance, but the powers that be felt that the Dead looked a lot cooler and would be a bigger crowdpleaser.

Same, when I saw it the first time it just looked silly and ruined any tension. There could of been a million orcs and it wouldn't have mattered. Either make it so the ghosts could be vanquished somehow, and it actually became a fight, or not have so many of them so the battle wasn't over in seconds. It made the whole battle kind of pointless.

It also raises the never-answered question of why Aragorn didn't just suck up his pride and call the army to his side before it ever got that far.

Much of LOTR, plotwise, is predicated on Aragorn being kind of a coward in regards to his ancestry and duties as High King. If he would have just taken Anduril to the Dimholt, gotten their support, gone around to Rohan and Gondor and given them a, "Hey, I'm king now, so let's go clear out all of Mordor until nothing is left except greasy brown patches in the grass," speech years ago, shit wouldn't have had to come to all the walking and ring bearing.

He thought Gondor was ruled by someone who was a) good at it and b) wanted the job and it turned out only one of those things was true.

So many problems in Middle Earth are due to people simply not looking into things.

"What's that, Bilbo? You found a magic ring? Yeah, I'll look into it. Get back to me in sixty years or so."

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Jacobkosh

So many problems in Middle Earth are due to people simply not looking into things.

"What's that, Bilbo? You found a magic ring? Yeah, I'll look into it. Get back to me in sixty years or so."

Yeah, but you've seen how much walking checking into things entails.

• Options
    Look we all have loser stoner friends, I'm sure Gandalf was going to eventually get around to checking into that *wink*.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Seriously, and the fact that some sections level with you, and some don't, kills the fuck out of you wanting to do any of those fetch quests. FUCK YOU KURT SCHILLING!

Another huge problem was randomizing break-downs for crafting. You could destroy your good sword and then take the blade to make and even better sword, . . . or destroy your sword and somehow end up with a pair of dirty socks.

It's like KoA made a checklist of all the things that I hate about WRPGS and made the game only about those things:

- Endless fetchquests? Check.
    - Degrading weapons and armor making you spend half your time constantly doing repairs and crafting? Check.
    - Endlessly respawning bad guys? Check.
    - Providing too many clans and guilds to ally yourself with for no perceptible gain? Check.
    - Almost no story whatsoever? Check.
    - Voiceless, lifeless player-character? Check.
    - Herbalism? Check.

Fuck herbalism.

• Options
    @Jacobkosh

Yeah, but you've seen how much walking checking into things entails.

Ever notice that when Gandalf is on his own and needs to check on something, he's always got some horse or eagle giving him a lift?

Gandalf is that asshole who would rather walk than give his friends a ride.

• Options
    edited January 2013

I've finished the trilogy with Paragon HaleShep, and I'm starting from the beginning with MeerShep, and Christ, he's so terrible.

he grows on you.

Deaderinred on
  • Options

Another huge problem was randomizing break-downs for crafting. You could destroy your good sword and then take the blade to make and even better sword, . . . or destroy your sword and somehow end up with a pair of dirty socks.

It's like KoA made a checklist of all the things that I hate about WRPGS and made the game only about those things:

- Endless fetchquests? Check.
    - Degrading weapons and armor making you spend half your time constantly doing repairs and crafting? Check.
    - Endlessly respawning bad guys? Check.
    - Providing too many clans and guilds to ally yourself with for no perceptible gain? Check.
    - Almost no story whatsoever? Check.
    - Voiceless, lifeless player-character? Check.
    - Herbalism? Check.

Fuck herbalism.

You are like dark world me with movies, but on this we agree.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

he grows on you.

The voice itself isn't bad, it's that the line readings are almost always off the mark. He'll end in a positive register like he's asking a question half the time, and it always sounds like just some guy reading lines into a microphone without any understanding that he's part of a conversation. I found this same problem in Robb Weithoff in Red Dead Redemption.

Hale always sounds "in the moment." Whichever response you choose, she's always got the right tone and register in her voice.

This discussion has been closed.