As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] 2 Minutes in Heaven

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
Hi!

Don't be late for movies, ever. What if you somehow got dragged into a Paul W. S. Anderson or Michael Bay film? If you showed up late, you've already missed the best thing about being there!

And how would you know what great new movies are coming out and when? It's not like the internet is a thing yet.

Stoker - trailer #2
http://youtu.be/brjtL-2kE9A

Wrong Cops
http://youtu.be/TIPwDr5_ePw

Spring Breakers
http://youtu.be/8NmImzKiuQ0

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    If there is a thing that will kill Peter Farrelly's career, Movie 43 is apparently it.

It was filmed over the course of months and years, doing a sketch here and there, and he used up just about every personal favor he had to get the thing made. Several people dropped out of the film after reading the script, and several more tried to.

The Farrellys' problem, since day one, is they just aren't funny, and they don't understand what's funny. They're still stuck in the "Oh God, My Balls!" school of comedy. Their idea of a joke is an ever-escalating series of improbable gross-out scenarios.

Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary are both hilarious movies. I agree that today's comic sense is different than when those movies were made though, and Movie 43 just looks stupid as hell to me. Thing is though, funny is so subjective, and even though I might not understand how Two and a half men gets all the ratings, and Arrested Development, Happy Endings, and other shows that I find the funniest can't stay on the air, it doesn't mean there aren't more people out there who prefer the former to what I like.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    If there is a thing that will kill Peter Farrelly's career, Movie 43 is apparently it.

It was filmed over the course of months and years, doing a sketch here and there, and he used up just about every personal favor he had to get the thing made. Several people dropped out of the film after reading the script, and several more tried to.

The Farrellys' problem, since day one, is they just aren't funny, and they don't understand what's funny. They're still stuck in the "Oh God, My Balls!" school of comedy. Their idea of a joke is an ever-escalating series of improbable gross-out scenarios.

Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary are both hilarious movies. I agree that today's comic sense is different than when those movies were made though, and Movie 43 just looks stupid as hell to me. Thing is though, funny is so subjective, and even though I might not understand how Two and a half men gets all the ratings, and Arrested Development, Happy Endings, and other shows that I find the funniest can't stay on the air, it doesn't mean there aren't more people out there who prefer the former to what I like.

I couldn't possibly explain how it works, but when you translate the comic sensibilities of something like Two and a Half Men to the silver screen, it just doesn't hardly ever work. Plenty of films attempt this every year, and almost all of them (outside of Tyler Perry movies) fail resoundingly and are quietly brushed under the carpet.

Dumb and Dumber still works today, granted, but a lot of that is the chemistry and comic timing of both Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels; that's why the Farrellys' next film is pegged to be Dumb and Dumber To, they're going back to the well because they haven't had a hit since 1998. The movie isn't memorable because Jeff Daniels takes a massive shit or repeats the tongue-frozen-to-the-pole gag from A Christmas Story, it's memorable because Carrey and Daniels are doing some of the best (and most different) work of their career. Hell, Daniels isn't even a comedic actor, and didn't do comedy before or since, and Carrey in the film puts away his rubber-faced mugging to play a mean-spirited psychopath with a heart of gold.

Something About Mary, on the other hand, I think has aged terribly and largely because almost every single joke is a gross-out gag that comes apropos of nothing, aimed largely at those with the maturity of a horny 13 year old. It also uses a mentally-handicapped person as the punchline to many jokes.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r5ngyALMRR4

goddamn. and electrical tape.

just remembered they played a couple in drive too. hah.

dont know what to think of the colour grading there, i know they started the whole digital colour grading thing but now that hollywood just sticks to orange and teal doesnt mean they have to.

Deaderinred on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Ooh! Coen Brothers movie!

I'm in.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    aah man I love the Coen Bros.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Stupid Farrellys killed spoof movies. They used to be good, like Major League, Naked Gun, Hot Shots...

Now everyone thinks of them as things that suck.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Welcome to Paul Schraders life! The man got replaced by Renny fucking Harlen!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Welcome to Paul Schraders life! The man got replaced by Renny fucking Harlen!

Don't say that unless you've actually seen Schrader's Exorcist prequel. The only thing worse than a terrible movie is a terrible boring movie. I dig Schrader's early work, but christ that movie was bad.

I saw the one that was in theaters, I can't imagine how that could have been more boring.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Stupid Farrellys killed spoof movies. They used to be good, like Major League, Naked Gun, Hot Shots...

Now i'm going to have to go and watch Police Squad and weep, then laugh, then laugh till I cry, then feel sad about it.

edited January 2013

Someone over at Cracked.com actually had an interesting thing to say about this not long ago. The argument was that mainstream movies have gotten so recursive, self-aware, and meta in their commentary that you can't really spoof a film anymore. Here, I'll let the author tell you:

SR-71, a band that might be terrible but that I love unconditionally, has a song called "Politically Correct." The whole song is about how the world has gotten too soft and no one can joke anymore because they run the risk of offending someone, and if you offend anyone, anywhere, you're kicked out of society. The song's catchy, the lyrics are ... OK, but the important thing comes in the bridge, where the lead singer inexplicably scream-sings "You couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today," and then quietly follows up this thought by saying, "I saw Blazing Saddles yesterday," before jumping back into their chorus about being unintentionally offensive.

It's probably one of my favorite musical moments of all time, a guy who pauses his song to tell us all that he saw Blazing Saddles the day before he wrote the song. No follow up. Just, like, "Man, wasn't that a good movie? Anyway here's the rest of my song now." I also love that section because he's right. You're right, lead singer of SR-71; you couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today. Nothing like Brooks' Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Space Balls, and Men in Tights (as well as the non-Brooksian Airplane, Naked Gun, and Hot Shots franchises) exists today. Which is unfortunate, because those movies plus The Simpsons basically taught me what comedy was.

The Scary Movie franchise looks like it's trying to be the heir to Mel Brooks' throne, but they're doing just an awful job of it. A Mel Brooks movie was a smart love letter to a genre (sci-fi, Western, romance, etc.). Brooks knew how to poke holes in and deconstruct a movie genre, but it was clear that he could only do this because he genuinely understood and loved whatever he was mocking. Space Balls is a Star Wars/general sci-fi action spoof that also stands alone as a genuinely enjoyable sci-fi action flick.

The Scary Movie franchise has no heart. It's a series of pop culture references and dick jokes (and, yes, I'm aware that that sentence also can be applied to my entire career/personality). Mel Brooks would look at what was good and bad about a genre and shine a loving spotlight on both. Scary Movie will hire Lindsay Lohan to get in a car accident, look direct to camera, and say, "Not again!" which might not but probably does happen in at least two Scary Movies. The few times I've tried to watch anything in the [Blank] Movie series, I had to give up quickly, because every scene looked like this:

[EXT. Day- A FART NOISE is heard.]
    A Wayans Brother:
    Daaamn. Now THAT's what I call a Big Momma's House!

[We see someone dressed like Martin Lawrence as a woman in Big Momma's House]

Big Momma:
    Oh no you didn't! Now where's my Austin Powers?

[We see Austin Powers. Actually Austin Powers. Just him, Mike Myers as Austin Powers, not deconstructing or commenting on anything, they just got him for this movie.]
    Austin Powers:
    Don't you mean Lady Gaga?

A Wayans Brother Dressed as Lady Gaga (in a Bill Clinton voice):
    I did not have sexual relations with that Charlie Sheen.

Charlie Sheen: (To camera)
    Busted!

This bothered me for a long time. I didn't know WHY we started dumbing down our spoofs, why we stopped doing parodies and started just rolodexing timely pop culture references and boner jokes, but then Abelman, one of our forum members, had a fairly convincing theory. He acknowledged the fact that all of the formal "parodies" are shit, and he thinks that the reason we aren't doing smart genre parodies anymore is because we can't. Because Hollywood is obsessed with reboots, and the reboots are doing the parodying themselves:

"Looking at a movie like Star Trek, one sees real characterization developed and a new story told that nevertheless spoofs some of the old tropes and infuses the film with some tongue in cheek humor."
    That's Abelman, and he's right. There's no reason to do a Star Trek parody today. If I was going to make a Trek parody, I'd make jokes about red shirts, or I'd call attention to the fact that every time a complex scientific point is brought up, it's followed up by a really dumb, simple metaphor to explain it to the audience (a common Star Trek maneuver). But I'd have no reason to do EITHER of those things, because both of those jokes were already made in the Star Trek reboot. Modern Star Trek is already winking at old Star Trek, Die Hard 4 winked at Die Hard 3, and Superman Returns winked at the whole franchise. You could try to spoof popular action movie tropes, but why do that when The Expendables is basically a series of references and jokes about action movie tropes already?
    When the opportunity for deconstruction or spoof is already taken away by reboots and big Expendables-esque team-ups, there's nothing for the spoof genre to do but rolodex pop culture references and dick jokes.

Atomika on
    I saw the one that was in theaters, I can't imagine how that could have been more boring.

Oh . . . . friend.

My beautifully, blissfully ignorant friend.

Look there are times you don't actually want to know. You accept the milk is spoiled, you don't smell it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Look there are times you don't actually want to know. You accept the milk is spoiled, you don't smell it.

This is one of those times.

But then again, I was at least hoping Schrader's film would be interesting despite being boring. I knew what I'd be getting with a Renny Harlin film, a director of which I always opt out of.

• eEK!eEK! Registered User regular

Someone over at Cracked.com actually had an interesting thing to say about this not long ago. The argument was that mainstream movies have gotten so recursive, self-aware, and meta in their commentary that you can't really spoof a film anymore. Here, I'll let the author tell you:

SR-71, a band that might be terrible but that I love unconditionally, has a song called "Politically Correct." The whole song is about how the world has gotten too soft and no one can joke anymore because they run the risk of offending someone, and if you offend anyone, anywhere, you're kicked out of society. The song's catchy, the lyrics are ... OK, but the important thing comes in the bridge, where the lead singer inexplicably scream-sings "You couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today," and then quietly follows up this thought by saying, "I saw Blazing Saddles yesterday," before jumping back into their chorus about being unintentionally offensive.

It's probably one of my favorite musical moments of all time, a guy who pauses his song to tell us all that he saw Blazing Saddles the day before he wrote the song. No follow up. Just, like, "Man, wasn't that a good movie? Anyway here's the rest of my song now." I also love that section because he's right. You're right, lead singer of SR-71; you couldn't make a Mel Brooks movie today. Nothing like Brooks' Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Space Balls, and Men in Tights (as well as the non-Brooksian Airplane, Naked Gun, and Hot Shots franchises) exists today. Which is unfortunate, because those movies plus The Simpsons basically taught me what comedy was.

The Scary Movie franchise looks like it's trying to be the heir to Mel Brooks' throne, but they're doing just an awful job of it. A Mel Brooks movie was a smart love letter to a genre (sci-fi, Western, romance, etc.). Brooks knew how to poke holes in and deconstruct a movie genre, but it was clear that he could only do this because he genuinely understood and loved whatever he was mocking. Space Balls is a Star Wars/general sci-fi action spoof that also stands alone as a genuinely enjoyable sci-fi action flick.

The Scary Movie franchise has no heart. It's a series of pop culture references and dick jokes (and, yes, I'm aware that that sentence also can be applied to my entire career/personality). Mel Brooks would look at what was good and bad about a genre and shine a loving spotlight on both. Scary Movie will hire Lindsay Lohan to get in a car accident, look direct to camera, and say, "Not again!" which might not but probably does happen in at least two Scary Movies. The few times I've tried to watch anything in the [Blank] Movie series, I had to give up quickly, because every scene looked like this:

A Wayans Brother:

Big Momma:

[We see Austin Powers. Actually Austin Powers. Just him, Mike Myers as Austin Powers, not deconstructing or commenting on anything, they just got him for this movie.]
    Austin Powers:

Busted!

This bothered me for a long time. I didn't know WHY we started dumbing down our spoofs, why we stopped doing parodies and started just rolodexing timely pop culture references and boner jokes, but then Abelman, one of our forum members, had a fairly convincing theory. He acknowledged the fact that all of the formal "parodies" are shit, and he thinks that the reason we aren't doing smart genre parodies anymore is because we can't. Because Hollywood is obsessed with reboots, and the reboots are doing the parodying themselves:

"Looking at a movie like Star Trek, one sees real characterization developed and a new story told that nevertheless spoofs some of the old tropes and infuses the film with some tongue in cheek humor."
    That's Abelman, and he's right. There's no reason to do a Star Trek parody today. If I was going to make a Trek parody, I'd make jokes about red shirts, or I'd call attention to the fact that every time a complex scientific point is brought up, it's followed up by a really dumb, simple metaphor to explain it to the audience (a common Star Trek maneuver). But I'd have no reason to do EITHER of those things, because both of those jokes were already made in the Star Trek reboot. Modern Star Trek is already winking at old Star Trek, Die Hard 4 winked at Die Hard 3, and Superman Returns winked at the whole franchise. You could try to spoof popular action movie tropes, but why do that when The Expendables is basically a series of references and jokes about action movie tropes already?
    When the opportunity for deconstruction or spoof is already taken away by reboots and big Expendables-esque team-ups, there's nothing for the spoof genre to do but rolodex pop culture references and dick jokes.

or the people making spoofs these days are just awful film makers

eEK! wrote: »

A Wayans Brother:

Big Momma:

Austin Powers:

Busted!

or the people making spoofs these days are just awful film makers

I just think we're past the point of being able to spoof things in the same ways we used to. That genre can only stand so many iterations because it's dependent on other work to exist.

We still have satires and commentaries today, but they're wrapped up in legitimate works of film. Django Unchained is a satire. Archer is a satire. Black Dynamite is a satire. But lasting satire has to go beyond merely referencing the obvious tropes of a genre, it has to build on those tropes, comment on them, and subvert them.

Black Dynamite shows you can still do hilarious satires, the cartoon was even freaking better.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    There have been some good spoofs recently. Galaxy Quest, Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz. Um...

Shit galaxy quest was 1999? So "recently".

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    I think what is harder is lazy spoofs, mainly because the internet has already done most of it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    but now that hollywood just sticks to orange and teal doesnt mean they have to.

Aghhghhghhahgh

I hate that cracked article with the fire of a thousand suns.

Orange and blue is one of the three complimentary color schemes and it works with human skin tones, sky color, and natural light. IE, many many many many scenes in movies that take place outside during daylight. It is not 'overused'.

What you SHOULD be annoyed at is people just taking the saturation and throwing it through the roof. The problem isn't the color scheme.

Wassermelone on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    There's some truth to the Cracked thing, but only some. Naked Gun for example got say 20% of its humor from sending up the genre, the other 80% came from just saying and doing funny things. I don't see why you couldn't still do that.

Like, you just named a show - Archer - that's way funnier that all that _____ Movie X shit.

Yougottawanna on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Charlie Sheen ain't no Leslie Nielsen, that's for sure.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Not Another Teen Movie was actually a really funny movie. Even Scary Movie 1 wasnt bad.

It was Scary Movie 2, with its random parody of Charlies Angels for NO REASON that things took a turn to shit.

I also blame Family Guy. Half of Family guy is just "hey look at this pop culture, eh, eh, isnt that funny?"

There is room for parodies still, the problem is, they need to be good movies at their heart. Zombieland was solid, because it was a decent flick, that happened to be a zombie parody. Admittedly, with many genres winking and nodding at themselves and their tropes, its a thin line between parody and not.

Perhaps, Cabin in the woods, is the future of parody? Where you come at the genre from a completely different angle, and kind of focus of the meta element of why the viewers watch said genre to begin with.

616610-1.png
    Honestly a lot of older spoofs people list I don't find all that funny. Probably because by the time I'd seen the base comedy I'd already seen the derative version several times.

Like TCM 1 when I saw it was just a really boring movie with a fat guy that happened to have a chainsaw.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2013
    You know what movie has aged terribly?

Spaceballs.

Turns out, twenty years later, jokes about infinite sequels and George Lucas being a craven merch hawker just aren't that funny anymore.

Atomika on
    Aioua wrote: »
    There have been some good spoofs recently. Galaxy Quest, Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz. Um...

Shit galaxy quest was 1999? So "recently".

Well, that's the thing. Those movies were "spoofs," but not broad comedies. They were good movies in their own right, and while they may have been send-ups of their genres, they weren't absurdist in the way Mel Brooks movies almost always were.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    You know what movie has aged terribly?

Spaceballs.

Turns out, twenty years later, jokes about infinite sequels and George Lucas being a craven merch hawker just aren't that funny anymore.

I completely agree, and I had a decently long post on why some parodies (Airplane!, earlier Brooks works) work and have lasted and others (Spaceballs) haven't, and why the ______ Movie! ones aren't even good when they are released... but work got in the way, I lost my train of thought, and it probably belongs in the film thread more than this one.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

Aghhghhghhahgh

Orange and blue is one of the three complimentary color schemes and it works with human skin tones, sky color, and natural light. IE, many many many many scenes in movies that take place outside during daylight. It is not 'overused'.

What you SHOULD be annoyed at is people just taking the saturation and throwing it through the roof. The problem isn't the color scheme.

its pretty damn noticeable and samey, its no wonder theres a cracked article about it. (havent read it though)

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I also reject the idea the argument about "Political Correctness" people have been making my entire life. People see "Blazing Saddles" has jokes involving racism and then complain they couldn't call black people monkeys, when Blazing Saddles makes jokes at the expense of racists and racism, rather than racist jokes. Most of the other movies in the Mel Brooks/Nielsen vein aren't particularly hard hitting, they're just better versions of dick jokes references and puns

Hell Human Centipede came out in the last few years. Could that have come out in the 70s?
    Django Unchained couldn't have been made in the 70s and that's much more racially provocative than Blazing Saddles.
    It also ignores what is probably the most obvious modern analog to Blazing Saddles: Borat. Sacha Baron Cohen isn't usually my cup of tea, I think the comparison is pretty apt.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    I hate the idea of "political correctness" Yeah its a real tragedy people think you're a racist/asshole when you use the Nword and tell racist jokes, if only we appreciated your comedic genius.

Its like people who repeat a chapelle show skit and go "Now imagine a white guy said it." I want to piss on a sock and shove it down their throat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    People have said "You can't make Blazing Saddles in today's world!" just about all my life. So, you know, before Blazing Saddles was barely five years old.

Well didn't the actress with dem titties die not too long after the movie? Maybe thats what they meant.

Also people saying "You can't make X movie" anymore has been a thing since the flipping 90s.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Well didn't the actress with dem titties die not too long after the movie? Maybe thats what they meant.

I never thought about it that way. Maybe people are just being really specific.

"You can't make Casablanca these days! They're all dead!"

Man I was just thinking about a Jaws movie, and damn like everyone but Dreyfus are dead.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Aghhghhghhahgh

its pretty damn noticeable and samey, its no wonder theres a cracked article about it. (havent read it though)

Just because you can catalogue and notice similarities doesn't mean its something to rail against. It would be like railing against black and white as a color scheme. Its that basic.

Its like when someone compiled an image gallery of all the action movie posters with explosions, debris, smoke, and people with guns on the posters... as if thats a bad thing. Those movies have those things in them.

Blue and orange is one of THREE complimentary color schemes. Other than black and white or monochromatic, theres no color scheme more simple. Its there because it works

36_33780~noon,-or-the-siesta,-after-millet,-1890.jpg

Wassermelone on
    And really having seen Dreyfus's films as of late, can we really say he's alive?

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I think the issue wasn't that there was something wrong with the color scheme, but that the scheme, along with the trend of just 'shopping characters' faces on top of each other, became the lazy go-to poster design for the 2000s.

As much as we're living in a renaissance for film, we're living in a dark age for media design.

Well you know how everyone said "man art degrees are useless" Welcome to the result of that you jerks!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    And really having seen Dreyfus's films as of late, can we really say he's alive?

Have you heard anything from Dreyfus these days?

Duder is bitter as shit about not being famous anymore.

This discussion has been closed.