As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cmd /v:on /c "set TITLE=Programming Thread & echo !TITLE!"

19394959698

Posts

  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I remember doing 80-90 hour work weeks that were my regular job for 40 hours, then piecework for the rest. For the first couple of weeks, the regular job went fine and I was making a crazy hourly wage afterwards. Beyond the first two weeks, my workday productivity dropped and too many of the evening/weekend hours worked out to somewhere around a dollar an hour.

    These days, if there's any talk of side jobs, I quietly slink away. I don't mind the odd late night, especially if I'm working on something new and fun, but I have no desire to make it a regular thing.

    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I cannot understand why people don't go to the doctor's if they are sick. There is a guy here who has been coughing for a week straight. Not just "coughing" but long, 15 seconds or more of a cough... And then he doesn't wash his hands. I'm on day 13 of antibiotics and can't fucking kick whatever I have because everyday I come to work I get sicker because these fucks don't want to see a doctor.

    People are dumb. They think saving $20 on a doctor copay and $15 on a course of antibiotics (MOST STATES THESE ARE FREE) is worth it. The other side of the coin is they're saving it for when they're "really" sick, their kid is sick, or for vacation days. Protip, once you're an "adult" most places don't really care if you go over your sick time as long as you're not doing it every other week.

    I bought a package of masks and latex gloves. If anyone starts coughing and sneezing, I wear them. I don't give a fuck how I look. I look ridiculous? You're the fucking tool who came in to work sick.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    urahonky
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I cannot understand why people don't go to the doctor's if they are sick. There is a guy here who has been coughing for a week straight. Not just "coughing" but long, 15 seconds or more of a cough... And then he doesn't wash his hands. I'm on day 13 of antibiotics and can't fucking kick whatever I have because everyday I come to work I get sicker because these fucks don't want to see a doctor.

    I don't go to the doctor unless I'm dying. Why would I? He's going to go poke at me, prod some, go "Ohh, yes...you have a cold, take some nyquil". I mean, the week long cough thing I get...but for every sniffle and cold/flu I get? No way. Total waste of time and money to have the doctor tell me what I know and send me on my way.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I cannot understand why people don't go to the doctor's if they are sick. There is a guy here who has been coughing for a week straight. Not just "coughing" but long, 15 seconds or more of a cough... And then he doesn't wash his hands. I'm on day 13 of antibiotics and can't fucking kick whatever I have because everyday I come to work I get sicker because these fucks don't want to see a doctor.

    I don't go to the doctor unless I'm dying. Why would I? He's going to go poke at me, prod some, go "Ohh, yes...you have a cold, take some nyquil". I mean, the week long cough thing I get...but for every sniffle and cold/flu I get? No way. Total waste of time and money to have the doctor tell me what I know and send me on my way.

    You should stay home, at the least.

    Your body will recuperate faster and you don't spread the sickness to others. If it truly is a viral infection.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    DrunkMc
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    I do stay at home. I just stay at home and relax with hot tea and video games. If the sickness persists more than a day or two, I'll go to the doctor.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    bowen
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's all we want mang!

    The only problem is by the time you've shown symptoms you've probably already gone through the infectious stage. Fucking germs, what are they good for?

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I don't get to do that because I'm a contractor with no benefits. I can only work M-F 8-5 and if I don't work any hours in there, I just don't get paid.

    I justify by pointing out that if they wanted me to stay home when I was sick, they'd offer me sick time. They don't, so I don't.

  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

    I do this all the time. It's my favourite way to manage and acquire locks now, no need to worry about forgetting to release it

    bowen
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Delmain wrote: »
    I don't get to do that because I'm a contractor with no benefits. I can only work M-F 8-5 and if I don't work any hours in there, I just don't get paid.

    I justify by pointing out that if they wanted me to stay home when I was sick, they'd offer me sick time. They don't, so I don't.

    I used to be a contractor and I hate they didn't give Contractors sick days. Not because of me, cause knock on wood I very rarely get sick, but there's this contractor who is ALWAYS sick. The guy's got 4 kids and can't afford to take a day off, so he comes in with his eyes red, his nose running and coughing all over everything. That in turn gets everyone else sick! The company would SAVE money by giving the contractors some fucking sick time!

    DrunkMc on
    Delmain
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I don't get to do that because I'm a contractor with no benefits. I can only work M-F 8-5 and if I don't work any hours in there, I just don't get paid.

    I justify by pointing out that if they wanted me to stay home when I was sick, they'd offer me sick time. They don't, so I don't.

    That's not really true at all. I don't get sick time as I am contractor with the federal government, they still absolutely want me to stay home sick, they just don't want to pay me for it.

    In reality, I could change my pay package to include PTO, but I choose not to. I'd rather have maximum salary, and get to choose when I "lose" money due to days off on my own time.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would just negotiate it, you know, I'm a contractor and you obviously like my work or we wouldn't even be in a discussion.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    We have the option through my contracting company. Keep your hourly wage as is, or give up some of your hourly wage to essentially get PTO.

    It's really just an option for THEM to manage your PTO for you, since in the end it evens out. If your someone like me who is rarely sick and doesn't take a lot of personal days, then the PTO option would cause me to make less money.

    If you're sicky sick guy who is always sick, or you need to take a lot of personals, the managed PTO option makes sense.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    We have the option through my contracting company. Keep your hourly wage as is, or give up some of your hourly wage to essentially get PTO.

    It's really just an option for THEM to manage your PTO for you, since in the end it evens out. If your someone like me who is rarely sick and doesn't take a lot of personal days, then the PTO option would cause me to make less money.

    If you're sicky sick guy who is always sick, or you need to take a lot of personals, the managed PTO option makes sense.

    Yeah, except you're not getting any benefit from doing that. At least, I don't. I've looked at it. If I want, say, 40 hours of sick time for the year, I can elect to pay 40 times my hourly salary over the course of the year to my contracting company in exchange to that. It's exactly the same as just not working, except I pay for it gradually instead of all at once when I don't get paid for a day.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Which is exactly what I said. You're essentially asking them to manage your PTO, instead of managing it yourself.

    As a side note, salaried employees basically have the same deal, you just never see it broken down in those terms, because you start form day one with PTO.

    This does not change the fact that not having PTO doesn't actually indicate that they want you to come to work sick. That is a serious leap of logic, and is not correct at most places.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I had a good coworker who was fired because he was sick too often.

    The details are worse. They made major changes to our sick policy (used to be 1 point if you were late at all, switched to a percentage based on the time you missed but they rolled off later). They did not adjust/remove the points from the previous policy, though, so everyone's totals were inflated for a year (instead of the 6 months from the previous policy)

    He thought he had a point roll off, but it wasn't going to for a couple more weeks and he missed a day because he was too sick to walk to work (no car).

    Actually, I had another coworker who was also fired for the same thing but some of his days were missed because... well, "I'm in Austin and my keys are locked in my friend's apartment" and "I'm on my way back from Austin but I have a flat tire" aren't great excuses when you call them in several hours after your shift started.

    (as for me, I haven't missed a day in years so I'm reluctant to call in sick. Tried unsuccessfully to get sent home a few days ago, though).

    I have 240 hours of sick time accrued. I'm at the cap. I'd love if I could take 2-3 unscheduled days a year without penalty.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I would get fired so fast. I'm regularly 25-30 minutes late every day. Fuck trying to predict traffic in snowy areas though.

    Yesterday with no snow on the ground, people were going like 5 mph up the main road.

    Today with an inch or two and super cold temps, people were going 40.

    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    That sounds more like how retail employees are treated, not developers.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    bowen
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Which is exactly what I said. You're essentially asking them to manage your PTO, instead of managing it yourself.

    As a side note, salaried employees basically have the same deal, you just never see it broken down in those terms, because you start form day one with PTO.

    This does not change the fact that not having PTO doesn't actually indicate that they want you to come to work sick. That is a serious leap of logic, and is not correct at most places.

    Except when a company is offering it to you as salary, you weren't going to be able to get it individually. John Smith at Lockheed can't go to HR and say, "Oh well, I don't want you to manage my sick time. I'll do it myself, just swap me to hourly and give me the money that was going towards it."

    They'd laugh you out of the office.

    Everyone at the company gets the same benefits because they want you to use them. It only takes one person to come in to work while sick to get everyone sick, so they pay everyone to stay home if they are contagious.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dude just wrote up a report on how shitty the <gui generation> program looks and runs. I'm half tempted to go over there and bash his fucking face in.

    bowen
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dude acts like he is hot shit... I wish I could copy/paste it here but I don't think I want to risk it. Every bug report he puts in is like 15 pages long and starts with what he ate for breakfast.

  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    That sounds more like how retail employees are treated, not developers.

    Call center*, which I guess is close enough.

    If you can get on FMLA, though, you can pretty much do whatever you want. We have some people who are constantly out.

    Maybe I'll hear something soon on the analyst position I applied for (again...)


    * or dance club. Or as of yesterday, apparently Buddhist temple, it just depends on what day of the week it is. But that particular work environment discussion would be getting way off topic...

    Tomanta on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Registered User regular
    Ask him if he's got a better plan for making a platform-agnostic interface-builder look better. Maybe suggest he write a nice letter to Oracle detailing his problem, and explaining how he'd like Java to look prettier.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    I've actually done the very thing you claim would "Get you laughed out of the office". I was not laughed out of the office, my salary was bumped, and my PTO was dropped.

    Have you ever done any benefit negotiations, in your entire life? Because your entire outlook on benefits is piss poor, and shows you don't entirely understand what you're talking about.

    Just like your claim that if they wanted you to stay home sick, they'd give you PTO. Who fed you that line? Because it's silly goose stuff.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Dude acts like he is hot shit... I wish I could copy/paste it here but I don't think I want to risk it. Every bug report he puts in is like 15 pages long and starts with what he ate for breakfast.

    Does he really put personal things into bug reports?

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You fuckers need jesus.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    I remember when I used to answer phones and people cared where I was, man that sucked. Now people don't really care as long as my code is checked in and functioning.

    bowenGnomeTank
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ask him if he's got a better plan for making a platform-agnostic interface-builder look better. Maybe suggest he write a nice letter to Oracle detailing his problem, and explaining how he'd like Java to look prettier.

    I mean he's complaining that we can't change the look and feel WITHIN my program for each of the platforms that it could be running on. And I've told him repeatedly that will be impossible because if you're looking at it within Windows, then generated output will not look like what you see in Linux. It is called a WYSIWYG for a reason.

  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ask him if he's got a better plan for making a platform-agnostic interface-builder look better. Maybe suggest he write a nice letter to Oracle detailing his problem, and explaining how he'd like Java to look prettier.

    I mean he's complaining that we can't change the look and feel WITHIN my program for each of the platforms that it could be running on. And I've told him repeatedly that will be impossible because if you're looking at it within Windows, then generated output will not look like what you see in Linux. It is called a WYSIWYG for a reason.

    Clearly because your program is terrible. I thought you were leaving, or is this at the new place?

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Still no word. Still annoying because I put my best effort into this and it gets shit on by some munchkin who thinks he's hot shit.

    e: Sorry, really pissy mood today.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think he's still waiting on them to finish his background check before he says good riddance to hell.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Still no word. Still annoying because I put my best effort into this and it gets shit on by some munchkin who thinks he's hot shit.

    e: Sorry, really pissy mood today.

    I hate people people like that. They think their job is to shit all over someone's work. I remember bitching about it a few months back on here, but I worked my ass off on a project for 2 months by my self to get it ready for release, while I worked on four other projects. The guy who was supposed to test it at our customer's side said, it was so buggy he thinks it's a roach motel. I FLIPPED MY FUCKING SHIT, because I don't send buggy code.

    Sure enough, all of these "major bugs" were either a) Little things like misspellings in the header or b) he was using the fucking tool incorrectly. And I mean REALLY incorrectly, like someone trying to open a .jpg with notepad and bitching cause its garbled in notepad.

    So short story long, Honky, FUCK HIM AND HIS SHITTY OPINION!

    urahonkybowenEtheaSporkAndrew
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    Really wish my development environment wasn't a VM. Or at least that my work laptop had more resources I could toss at it.

    Can't kick off more than 1 build, or it freezes
    Can't load a project into an IDE, or it freezes
    If a build uses too much resources it freezes

    Normally this is not a problem but I have done each of those things today because I wasn't paying attention. Grrr.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You have one of those shitty VM thin client nonsenses don't you @mightyjongyo ?

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You have one of those shitty VM thin client nonsenses don't you mightyjongyo ?

    No, it's all local. My laptop just doesn't have enough resources to share with a VM. Windows will lock up if I give my VM more than 25% of my RAM.

    bowen
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I had a VM based development laptop for an Oracle project that my work supplied.

    8 cores, 16 GB RAM, etc. etc.

    Yeah, that worked out alright.

    OrokosPA.png
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    I had a VM based development laptop for an Oracle project that my work supplied.

    8 cores, 16 GB RAM, etc. etc.

    Yeah, that worked out alright.

    2 cores, 4 gb ram in the laptop... 1 core and 1 gb ram to the VM. Oh yea bringing in the big guns.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    I had a VM based development laptop for an Oracle project that my work supplied.

    8 cores, 16 GB RAM, etc. etc.

    Yeah, that worked out alright.

    Seems like, you know, putting that shit right on the laptop might have worked better. Slightly.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My job put me on a VM when I started and it sucked. At first it made sense 'cause the stuff I was dev'ing was either super outdated, or brand-new, so the isolated environment made sense. As time went on we phased out the outdated stuff and I got more and more annoyed at being stuck on the VM... so I asked our IT guy for the licenses and installers I need and installed everything on my system.

    I think other people are still using the VM, but when someone asks me if I use mine I just say, "nope" and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Infidel wrote: »
    I had a VM based development laptop for an Oracle project that my work supplied.

    8 cores, 16 GB RAM, etc. etc.

    Yeah, that worked out alright.

    Seems like, you know, putting that shit right on the laptop might have worked better. Slightly.

    How do I put a three server farm right on the machine?

    OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.