As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - Piety

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love comics like this, even if it is a bit close to the Uncharted one. But pointing out the ridiculousness of the situation is always funny.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    If only we could talk to the baddies!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Why is he talking to the guy while facing away from him?

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

He seems to be taking cover behind a very convenient chest-high wall.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ah the wall. That's what I was missing.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Oh man the comments in this thread brought me back to this classic:

838303391_mkMe4-L.jpg

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hey Isaac should be more tolerant of necromorph-based belief systems.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ftaghn!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I always wonder how the Church of Unitology stays afloat when, yes, their beliefs are easily validated by the presence of markers, but them things also make fucking necromorphs why would you sign up for that

The best part of Dead Space 1 was
    when Isaac goes up against that Unitologist guy that willingly infected himself. So of course he turns into a mega boss necromorph, right? Nope. Regular dude. Was a really nice touch.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I always wonder how the Church of Unitology stays afloat when, yes, their beliefs are easily validated by the presence of markers, but them things also make fucking necromorphs why would you sign up for that

Considering that Dead Space is set in some grim future where we're pulling out whole chunks of planets just to survive, I can imagine a few people would consider becoming a space zombie mutant a better alternative to living in poverty.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

He seems to be taking cover behind a very convenient chest-high wall.
    Oh! His posture is now 100% less weird. I thought that was his back and he was just unconcerned with the enemy's Stormtrooper-like marksmanship.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    T-Danger wrote: »

Considering that Dead Space is set in some grim future where we're pulling out whole chunks of planets just to survive, I can imagine a few people would consider becoming a space zombie mutant a better alternative to living in poverty.

Most people didn't know about the mind-rape and horrible zombie apocalypse stuff that attends Markers. Only one was known to exist according to popular knowledge (on Earth). All other Markers were kept secret.

Most of the run-of-the-mill Unitologists in the first two games are too busy trying to not-die, being dead or dying. It's safe to say that a significant number of them didn't really care to discuss theology. There was at least one character who stopped believing in the first game, though I think it's only mentioned in his audio recording.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    The best thing about the Unitologists is that the name doesn't make much sense, except as a reference to Scientiology.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    As someone who's never played Dead Space and found nothing of assistance in Tycho's post, can someone help me out with this Unitology thing? I looked it up on the Dead Space wiki, since I was curious, and it seems that this is referencing something called Convergence where a dead Unitologist is converted into this crazy Necromorph killing machine? Is that what's up in this comic?

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Quick and dirty: Basic indoctrination/brain washing cult, teaches that humans were created by a divine alien entity and that an ancient artifact called the Marker is the path to salvation. Their rituals are claimed to allow for rebirth in a peaceful spiritual existence, but actually set one up for a physical rebirth as a mindless nightmare machine like the tentacle guy.

Edit: actually this seems to explain things better than I do: deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Unitology

Hevach on
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah that's where I looked...but there was a lot of info to sift through so I wanted the quick and dirty version. Thanks!

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262