As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A boy's best friend is his [Film Thread]

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The setting of Bioshock would make a fantastic movie, and the great thing about it is that nobody really cares about the game's story anyway. You have a bunch of retarded millionaires Go Galt and build Rapture, they develop plasmids and mod themselves all to hell because they are retarded, then shit breaks down. You can have a Big Daddy and a Little Sister in there, a couple of the fucked-up enemies, and send the protagonist down there to... do something. If the production values are high and the script is written by someone who doesn't suck, grab a competent director, you have your movie.

Need a plot? Fine: Decades ago, many of the world's leading Rich Assholes suddenly disappeared. Nobody knew where exactly they went, but rumors surfaced of a grand, underwater city called Rapture, a paradise that rich people went to escape the hardship of having to deal with peons all the time. Our hero's brother/friend/father/whatever spent his life searching for this fabled place, and claimed to have found it, then disappeared. The hero goes to find him, and reaches Rapture. The place is dead and decaying, and the only signs of life are weirdo deformed zombie folks, some giant hulking dude in a diving suit, and a strange little girl. He finds that his brother has doped up with Adam and is going crazy, trying to, I dunno, reincarnate the city or something. The hero has to solve the mystery of what happened, who the Little Sister is, what the Big Daddy is, what Adam is, and what the fuck actually happened here.

There's your story. You could also just streamline the plot from the game, which is better, but also easier to fuck up with Hollywoodness. As far as games-to-movies, though, this should be low-hanging fruit, because most of the appeal is just the world itself and the tragedy of its backstory.

Honestly, a more adventurous director could just make the movie the backstory itself, which would be awesome, albeit risky.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Can it star DiCaprio?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Can it star DiCaprio?

As Andrew Ryan? After Django, I can see it.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    i get in touch with my feminine side when i play as haleshep.

I've finished the trilogy with Paragon HaleShep, and I'm starting from the beginning with MeerShep, and Christ, he's so terrible.

he grows on you.

The voice itself isn't bad, it's that the line readings are almost always off the mark. He'll end in a positive register like he's asking a question half the time, and it always sounds like just some guy reading lines into a microphone without any understanding that he's part of a conversation. I found this same problem in Robb Weithoff in Red Dead Redemption.

Hale always sounds "in the moment." Whichever response you choose, she's always got the right tone and register in her voice.

oh i agree, i didnt realize how monotone he was until i heard hale, its pretty jarring if you are switching back and forth between the two.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Then lets make the BioShock movie Jeffe pitched.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    soooo... who's up for some cautious optimism?

J.J. Abrams Set to Direct Star Wars Episode VII
    J.J. Abrams will direct the next "Star Wars" film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.

"Argo" director Ben Affleck was also in contention, another individual with knowledge of the talks told TheWrap.

The source doesn't sound official, but... if they're even just considering Abrams and Affleck, then it's good news to me.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

J.J. Abrams will direct the next "Star Wars" film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood's most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.

"Argo" director Ben Affleck was also in contention, another individual with knowledge of the talks told TheWrap.

The source doesn't sound official, but... if they're even just considering Abrams and Affleck, then it's good news to me.

Hmmm . . . . . intriguing.

The scuttlebutt is apparently that J.J. Abrams is Spielberg's protoge, and Spielly bent Kathleen Kennedy's ear to get him the job.

The scuttlebutt is also that the lead character of the new trilogy will be female, and Lucasfilm/Abrams really, really wants Chloe Moretz for the role.

I can't wait to see what a lightsaber looks like under 18 layers of lensflare.

Also, news out that the Justice League film will have its roster whittled down to just five members: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern, but cameos are expected from Martian Manhunter and Aquaman.

No word on casting yet. Or director. Or script. But hey, they have a release date!

edited January 2013
    i heard he was in talks but turned it down.

wonder if moretz will be a skywalker or a solo.

Deaderinred on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular

The scuttlebutt is apparently that J.J. Abrams is Spielberg's protoge, and Spielly bent Kathleen Kennedy's ear to get him the job.

The scuttlebutt is also that the lead character of the new trilogy will be female, and Lucasfilm/Abrams really, really wants Chloe Moretz for the role.

I have faith I guess. Really he has nowhere to go but up with the IP.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Malkor wrote: »

Yeah, I'm no Abrams cheerleader, but even the odious Super 8 was a vastly superior product to anything Lucas did in the prequels. Plus, Star Trek and M:I:III were actually pretty good.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    As the only person on earth who didn't like Star Trek '09 I am not terribly excited by the prospect of Abrams directing.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah for any other property I would feel horrible about it getting handed off, but really Star Wars is desperately in need of some new blood anyway. It really can't get any worse than the prequels

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly at this point any new star wars is a lot liking dating someone after Kosh, hard to look worse by comparison.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah for any other property I would feel horrible about it getting handed off, but really Star Wars is desperately in need of some new blood anyway. It really can't get any worse than the prequels
    All the spinoffs, like Jedi Nights Accademy or Clone Wars cartoon, are streets ahead of anything the new films had to offer.

Star Wars has a great setting and the more talented people that can play with that the better.

DanHibiki on
    edited January 2013

heehee
    @kstraub
    j.j. abrams to reveal that all the lens flares in star trek were from lightsaber fights off-frame

KalTorak on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Abrams? My initial prediction that the new movie would be generic sci-fi action takes one gigantic leap toward coming true.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm no Abrams cheerleader, but even the odious Super 8 was a vastly superior product to anything Lucas did in the prequels. Plus, Star Trek and M:I:III were actually pretty good.

And this time he'll have a decent writer at his back.

Quire.jpg
    edited January 2013

Any writer that isn't Lucas is a relief.

edit: not to be flip about "hurr Lucas sucks;" Lucas was in an almost unique position with the prequels of being a bad writer and also in such a position of power that no one could try to improve his writing via criticism.

KalTorak on

Here's hoping.

But yes, I think the hypothetical math is safely on the side of "Abrams + Arndt + Kennedy" against "Lucas + Lucas + McCallum"

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    Geth, warn @Preacher for his insolence.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Subject-@Preacher will invent fiction it believes the interrogator desires. Data acquired will be invalid.
    Warned @Preacher (0 points for 30 days) for "his insolence"

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    See this is why Kosh is such a downer

He should've been warning Preacher for his lack of faith

GEEZ

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I like how your bot awesomed your post Jacob.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am adding "Kosh is such a downer" to my mod resume

rRwz9.gif
    edited January 2013
    He meant you're retarded.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2013

Any writer that isn't Lucas is a relief.

edit: not to be flip about "hurr Lucas sucks;" Lucas was in an almost unique position with the prequels of being a bad writer and also in such a position of power that no one could try to improve his writing via criticism.

There's nothing about the development of the prequels that makes any sense in the context of Lucas' experience with the original trilogy, except for the fact he became notoriously defensive about all the praise Gary Kurtz, Irwin Kershner, and Leigh Brackett got for their work in the series. Lucas hates writing, hates directing, and doesn't particularly care for Star Wars.

In light of that, the prequels make perfect sense.

Atomika on
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Frustratingly, Abrams denied that he'd be making Star Wars back in November, citing the fact that, unlike Star Trek, he liked the franchise too much to be objective.

Personally I'm annoyed that one guy will have control of both Star Wars and Star Trek. Isn't this sort of thing what our anti-monopoly laws are for?

Also, if you look at the list of movies he's actually directed:

-Mission Impossible III
    -Star Trek
    -Super 8

You've got one good one, one meh one, and one frustratingly flawed one that got the sci-fi part wrong (respectively). And more than that, they all felt kind of empty to me... slick and flashy. I would be really depressed to get a Star Wars movie like that.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Yeah because if theres one thing that defines Star Wars its not slick and flashy... I mean come on the whole franchise is selling toys, its live action transformers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm willing to cut Abrams some slack on Star Trek since the script was gobbled up by the WGA strike, but I agree that Super 8 was a huge vanity-project misfire. It's just a terrible, wrong-headed, broken-from-inception film that ends up being little more than nostalgia porn.

Instead of being excited by the news, I'm merely cautiously optimistic. As everyone acknowledges, it would take a lot of work to be shittier than anything Lucas would have come up with, but I could think of several other names that would have legitimately excited me. I'm sure I've got the list around here somewhere, but just off the top of my head:

- Gore Verbinski
    - Peter Weir
    - Neill Blomkamp
    - Spielly
    - Kathryn Bigelow
    - Rian Johnson
    - Frank Darabont

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    There was a time when Star Wars was flashy, but certainly not slick. The detailed models from the OT had a very nice beat up look to them, which made sense for a Rebel force. Even the Empire, who could have been slick, were more boxy and menacing. I'd rather the design aesthetic move back in that direction than continue further into modern scf-fi.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited January 2013
    jesus fucking christ a Peter Weir star wars film!?

can you imagine.

Deaderinred on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    See, I thought MI:3 was great, Star Trek was pretty enjoyable, and Super 8 started great and decayed to okay. So I'm very optimistic about this, if he winds up directing.

But then, when someone just served you three square meals made entirely of poop, it's hard not to get excited when you find out the next meal will involve actual food.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I really liked Super 8, but I didn't grow up watching E.T. and the Goonies and all of that other '80s coming of age stuff. I still understand that Abrams borrowed a lot and didn't necessarily add much of his own, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the experience.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    While Abrams has issues as a director it always seemed to me that the failings of writing, either his or others.

The big exception being the train wreck.

Give this guy a good script and I think he'll give us a good product.

Quire.jpg
    jesus fucking christ a Peter Weir star wars film!?

can you imagine.

Between The Mosquito Coast and Master & Commander, Weir has shown can direct the fuck out of actors and exteriors while also getting some great texture out of practical effects.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Do you think Abrams will make the new Star Wars an inspirational tale of wonder and hope set in a future where mankind has evolved beyond our problems and seeks to better itself through exploration and discovery?

He sort of already did sci fi action adventure film about destiny and good guys fighting against a great evil with a superweapon.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Do you think Abrams will make the new Star Wars an inspirational tale of wonder and hope set in a future where mankind has evolved beyond our problems and seeks to better itself through exploration and discovery?

Abrams Trek didn't really get into that at all, so I doubt he'd bring that over to Star Wars. He kind of did the opposite by militarizing Starfleet earlier in the timeline
    in response to the Narada's attack on the Kelvin.
    He sort of already did sci fi action adventure film about destiny and good guys fighting against a great evil with a superweapon.

So he has experience with the genre.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That wasn't a super cereal post, Harry.

I liked 2009 Star Trek, expect to like this year's, and look forward to seeing what he does with Star Wars.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.